PDA

View Full Version : A fair price for necrons?

Noack
17-01-2011, 11:41
Hi there, first I should let you know this is in australia.

A chap at my LGG wants to sell his mamoth collection of necrons. He has had them for a few years and they are all primed black (he is a lazy [painter]. Anyway this is the list:

Deciever
4x Lords on foot
1 destroyer lord
124 Warriors
15 destroyers
7 Heavy Destroyers
36 scarab swarms
3 Wraiths
3 Tomb Spiders
5 Pariahs
10 Immortals
10 Flayed Ones
6 Monoliths
1 Pylon
1 Tomb Stalker

So Im curious how much would a reasonable price be? I mean there is alot of stuff there and its in fine nick (so no dodgy paint jobs, modelled fine).

So any opinion is welcome

Cheers :)

dragonet111
17-01-2011, 12:09
Necrons may have a new codex their year, with new shiny minis so I will pay up to 70/75% of the total price.
In there is for 1300 I will pay up to 950/1000 .

ctsteel
17-01-2011, 12:11
Well, they are second hand but as you say, have been cleaned up and assembled without any paint (beyond the black undercoat). Plus necrons are not really a very customisable army in terms of visible wargear changes etc so even if you just got the models and not the rest of the sprues, you'd not really be missing out on anything like you might if it were say tactical marines but missing the additional heads/weapons etc.

So - being fair, you've practically got an entire army assembled and ready to paint, in good condition and with nothing missing to bring the cost down. So (logically) that would imply the cost should be pretty close to normal amounts (and to a certain degree the seller could argue to charge more as he's gone to the trouble of 'preparing' them for you). So then it comes down to how you negotiate (and how keen the other player is to make a buck vs offloading his old models). And as the above poster said, a new codex within a year or so might change things a bit, but I'd imagine everything in that list is still going to be usable in some manner.

nagash66
17-01-2011, 12:42
(and how keen the other player is to make a buck vs offloading his old models).

This, if he need the cash or just wants to be rid of it i would say a offer at 45% would be a good place to start, don't be afraid to haggle and make unreasonable demands as he will do the same.

Second hand unpainted army's should not go over 65% as you can get it new at 80% ( online discount places).

It doesn't matter that in this case being second hand is a good thing, they are not rare they are not oop and they are used. Fight for you're cause and you can get a great deal.

Spiney Norman
17-01-2011, 12:55
Assuming the green plastic rods aren't stuck in (they'll be a nightmare to paint if they are) I'd go for something in the region of 800 of equivilent.

There is something like 1000 of stuff there if my calculations are right, I think being 2nd hand deserves a bit of a drop, but if he's modelled the tomb stalker well then that service alone is worth a packet. (Those things are a complete nightmare to stick together).

If he's glued in the green rods/crystals I wouldn't pay more than 500 though, painting will be very fiddly, and one of the main attractions of the cron army is how quick & easy it is to paint.

Mini77
17-01-2011, 13:12
The problem at the moment is they're not an attractive army in gaming terms. They're probably worth 500+ as second hand models but you may find people aren't exactly falling over themselves to spend that much on Necrons sadly.

I sold my unpainted Necron army last year which was around 450 in value and it went for just over 100 on eBay (so around 90 after fees).

RobPro
17-01-2011, 14:21
Something like around ~$1400-1500 in current store price of product. You can't give the guy an insulting offer like 200, but if you're serious about Necrons then $700-800 is definitely a good place to start and I probably wouldn't go over 1100 unless you value the convenience of pre-assembly a lot.

On the plus side, a lot of those models will likely be usable when/if a new codex comes out.

thoughtfoxx
17-01-2011, 14:28
This, if he need the cash or just wants to be rid of it i would say a offer at 45% would be a good place to start, don't be afraid to haggle and make unreasonable demands as he will do the same.

Second hand unpainted army's should not go over 65% as you can get it new at 80% ( online discount places).

It doesn't matter that in this case being second hand is a good thing, they are not rare they are not oop and they are used. Fight for you're cause and you can get a great deal.

+1. This is good advice. Personally I never pay more than 60% of the purchase value of the models. for Necrons due to their imminent <really?> re-release I would go no higher than 50%.

if you are like me, painted and assembled models are NOT an advantage as it is highly likely you will have to strip and remove the cast lines on the figures anyway.

Doppleskanger
17-01-2011, 15:35
And also that is a seriously large collection. Do you want that many necrons? Are you likely to need that many. I'm not a 'cron player, but what, there has to be 3 if not 4 standard sized armies there? If he's trying to job lot all of that stuff there should be an additional discount, otherwise buy 25-50% of it and let him find another buyer for the rest

thoughtfoxx
17-01-2011, 16:53
Agreed. Its one HUGE force. Unless you are seriously contemplating a lot of Apocalypse i would ask him to break it up.

RobPro
17-01-2011, 17:57
There's only 2 lists in that pile: destroyer spam and warrior horde (both with Monolith support). Not enough of the other models to use them effectively (if there is a way to do so :/)