PDA

View Full Version : Hive Tyrant with Twin Linked Deathspitters

raivenblade
17-01-2011, 17:19
I'm just starting a tyranid army, and really like the Hive Tyrant Model on page 66 of the codex brandishing the Twin Linked Deathspitters.

However, this option isn't included in the current Hive Tyrant kit. Any tips on where I can find the appropriate components?

Mcbruce
17-01-2011, 17:51
Thought deathspitters were in the tyrant kit? If not then carnifexes are your friend.

magicmonkey
17-01-2011, 18:08
i think you might mean devourers for 2 reasons.
1 hive tyrant has deathspitters (i think, not sure)
2 devourers are better in nearly every way(+1str and +3 shots, instead of ap5)

raivenblade
17-01-2011, 18:25
No devourers in the kit either. I have:

Lash Whip
Bonesword
2 Scything Talons
Stranglethorn cannon
Heavy Venom Cannon

Does that mean there are parts missing?

Egaeus
17-01-2011, 18:29
i think you might mean devourers for 2 reasons.
1 hive tyrant has deathspitters (i think, not sure)
2 devourers are better in nearly every way(+1str and +3 shots, instead of ap5)

Nope, the picture the OP is referring to is Deathspitters, although ruleswise the Devourers are better.

And after doing a bit of searching it appears that the Deathspitters are on one of the Carnifex sprues.

Ah, I miss the days when GW had pictures of the sprues for each kit on their website. Even if they don't sell them seperately anymore it would be nice to be able to see what one actually gets in a kit.

PostinDirty
17-01-2011, 20:54
huh

thought the kit came with all the devourer and deathspitter options.

anyways - don't take deathspitters, i'm very open minded to all the options the codex provides players except this one thing. there's really no real advantage to take them over devourers

raivenblade
18-01-2011, 06:16
okay, TL devourers it is. Any other models that come with those included?

Clang
18-01-2011, 06:46
Yes, but bioweapons are scaled to suit each specific model, and the others (e.g. gaunts) are too small - so the carnifex is definitely your easiest method of finding appropriately sized devourers. Other local nid players may well have some spares, or you could try a bits website. Or just buy a carnifex kit, either for use as a fex or to convert into something else.

wickedvoodoo
18-01-2011, 09:01
anyways - don't take deathspitters, i'm very open minded to all the options the codex provides players except this one thing. there's really no real advantage to take them over devourers

Exept for the fact they look much better on the model than devourers do.

My Tyrant rocks twin deathspitters. I like the gunslinger look they give. I couldn't give a damn whether or not they are a bit less powerful.

The rule of cool my friend, the rule of cool.

Lord Damocles
18-01-2011, 09:13
The Deathspitters are also arguably better at anti-vehicle work.

Egaeus
18-01-2011, 18:23

My Tyrant rocks twin deathspitters. I like the gunslinger look they give. I couldn't give a damn whether or not they are a bit less powerful.

A bit less powerful is an understatement. You pay the same for a weapon that has the same range, half the shots and a point less strength. The only thing the Deathspitter has on the Devourer is an AP value which even then isn't that great.

Changing the Deathspitter from a blast weapon and reducing its range while essentially leaving the MC Devourers the same as they were previously while pricing them the same in the new book just makes them a poorer choice, no matter how "cool" they look.

I'm not sure what a "proper" price should have been but for comparison look at Warriors with basic Devourers...you pay to upgrade them to Deathspitters to gain a point of S and an AP value. So assuming Devourers are priced correctly on the MCs then the Deathspitters are at least 5 points overpriced.

Just another proof to me that this Codex was thrown together hastily without proper playtesting and editing.

raivenblade
18-01-2011, 19:44

They do look cool, that's why I wanted them. I'm planning on magnetizing the different weapon option, so I guess I'll get the carnifex at a later point, and use the weapons included in that kit to expand my options.

Thanks all!

PostinDirty
18-01-2011, 22:51

and i personally prefer the barbed strangler over them all :angel:

oCoYoRoAoKo
19-01-2011, 09:56
The Hive Tyrant kit comes witht he Tyranid Heavy Weapon Sprue (Including the Venom canon and Barbed Strangler).

At the moment there is only one way to get the other monstrous creature weapons: The Carnifex weapon sprue.

Cy.