PDA

View Full Version : Hell pit Abomination kit

MarshalFaust
18-01-2011, 15:25
i just got my kit yesterday and i have to say it was easily one of the more intimidating models i have seen upon opening the box. Your opinions may vary on the actual sculpt but after seeing it the official paint schemes do no justice to the model. it is extremely detailed and fits together like a dream. this model was a joy to put together, very little to no flash to scrape off and every bit and piece fit together very well that it didn't require any greenstuff to fill gaps. im extremely impressed with the quality of the model, good job GW!

Ultimate Life Form
18-01-2011, 15:29
I kind of expected that; I really have no idea what's going on with GW's paintjobs recently and why they thought it a good idea to present the impressive monster painted up like a frigg'n cow on their website.

MarshalFaust
18-01-2011, 15:43
the painted model on the GW website looks a mess. its hard to see whats going on and i really wasn't a fan of the multiheads when i first saw it but after putting it together i like it a lot more. its got a really nice centipede/giant rat/frankenstein/steampunk mashup. it fits in very well with the new rat ogre aesthetic

The bearded one
18-01-2011, 16:06
Cool! I recently picked up my advance order hell pit abomination ( a day before they were on sale, actually ), but still havent had the time to start building. I hope to start in a few minutes after finishing some work.

Haravikk
18-01-2011, 16:14
The official schemes are a bit weird, but then they seem to be sticking to the description which is a pale, hairless worm being used to produce the main body. Still looks very uninspiring as a result though.

My local games workshop has a much nicer darker scheme with glowing marks and warpstone, gory wounds and so-on, and it looks great!

MarshalFaust
18-01-2011, 16:26
the problem with the official GW paintschemes of late is the extreme highlight and shadow that they use. its sometimes fine on smaller models where you dont have a lot to work with but on these large models such as the hellpit and minotaurs it looks really bad and flat. they also failed in my opinion to highlight the stitched-together nature of the thing. the model itself looks like a patchwork of skin but theirs is all one color with a dark stripe going down the back of the model. i plan on painting mine in slightly different tones where its seams match up.

Thruster
18-01-2011, 16:55
I've always wondered about GW's models quality. If anyone ever assembled Bandai's Gundam figures, they will wonder why a box of 1/100 scale Gundam figure(just checked price from amazon.com) price cheaper than a box of hard-to-fit HE white lions... Bandai's plastic set have variety of plastic type (some normal and some soft with rubber feel to it), so that each part fit perfectly without any glue required. The amazing part is how each tiny part fit together so perfectly that other plastic toys look like cheap stuff compare to them.

If the new Hell Pit is great quality, then I hope we are finally going into the right direction.

The bearded one
18-01-2011, 22:05
* while assembling *

It feels like a big 3D jigsaw puzzle, and next to no moldlines to remove from the pieces!

RealMikeBob
18-01-2011, 22:09
I can't wait to start building it. Unfortunately mine hasn't arrived yet. So much for advance ordering it :rolleyes:

loveless
19-01-2011, 17:27
Man, you guys are really making me want to get this kit - and I have barely any desire to field it!

It just sounds like so...much...fun...though.

Grr...stop it, Loveless, you have other things to paint! *hits self*

Torpedo Vegas
19-01-2011, 17:32
Sounds like a great kit, I would get it, if I didn't find th model itself horrible, and not in a good way. Still, it could be useful for bits...
Dang it,now I want one too.

MarshalFaust
19-01-2011, 17:38
i was on the fence about whether i liked the model or not but seeing it in person pushed me firmly into this is an awesome looking model camp. it will certainly make a nice centerpiece for my army.

Razakel
19-01-2011, 18:54
Played a game against a friend of mine earlier, the glue had barely set on his two HPAs and he was already fielding them. Awesome model and he said it was quite easy to put together, and I have to say, I'm impressed.

EffCee
19-01-2011, 19:03
Just finished putting mine together and had a great time. It fit together perfectly. I've started on the Warp Lightning Cannon, which seems....less enjoyable :(

Freakiq
19-01-2011, 20:46
GW really needs to shape up the 'Eavy Metal team.

Most so-called ugly models have looked great in person.

Bought a box of Horrors to get some Tzeentchian bitz for my warriors and the models look so good I'm tempted to paint them up.

larabic
19-01-2011, 20:53
I was going to clip mine out while watching a movie and clean it then i had second thoughts, i want to put it together and make sure i do it step by step so they are all numbered on the sprue.

Have to do it tonight and pay close attention!

MarshalFaust
19-01-2011, 21:02
I would highly recommend following the numbers. some of the pieces look similar and are hard to see in the instructions.

tezza21
19-01-2011, 21:49
I had the joy of building my local gw's HPA and i thought it was a easy to build mini but some of the initial parts were a bit dodgy. I had to remove alot of flash from the major parts and the mold line on the head were nasty. But my Gw manager painted it up very well he painted it in a mixed skin tone as clan moulder use diffrent parts of diffrent creatures they would be diffrent tones. And he painted the glowing runes and large censer brilliantly. Sorry for the long post

senorcardgage
20-01-2011, 00:56
I love the kit, but found it a bit tough to get the two halves together right near the end.

Lord Squidar
20-01-2011, 06:18
would anyone consider painting it dark pastel blue, mounting it on a cousin with a hooka (smoking pipe) and a tiny fez on all of the little heads? would be pretty cool!

In all seriousness. How many different patches of skin are there? the ones seperated by stitching, it would be cool to paint each one differently so it really looks like a patchwork horror.

Ratbeast
20-01-2011, 10:15
Hopefully mines in stock this weekend, got delay due to the floods in brisbane, no trucks could get threw... cant wait to get 2 of these kits for my army, if will finnally be complete :D

Grimstonefire
20-01-2011, 16:59
I'm planning on building this soon, but the main issue for me is that it all looks far too smooth. Which is why I will be attacking mine with a soldering iron and greenstuff! *Evil moulder laugh*

pauduro
22-01-2011, 04:51
I nead my HPA nowwwwwww :cries: i hope i can get my handos on one ASAP cant wait