PDA

View Full Version : My hands they bleed!

Nubl0
19-01-2011, 03:02
I have been putting together models for a few years now, even some awful ones like the scrap launcher and various hydras. However I have almost admit defeat on one new model...

Today I purchased the new ikit claw, looked fairly simple to put together so I started, now I don't know if its the sculpt or just my model in particular but the giant claw hand refuses to go together no matter how much slight bending and whatnot. It literally will not go together with there being huge gaps al over the arm and hand, his back banner also barely fits on where its meant to go.

He's also a spikey bugger and my hand hurt like hell after trying and failing to get him to go together nicley. Even if i do get him semi together I will have som serious greenstuff to do on the arm but because hes so small I have a feeling the greenstuff parts will look really obvious.

Basicaly I love the sculpt, but I *********** despise the model, really anoyed me after having the joy of putting together my hpa :(

Zaonite
19-01-2011, 03:06
If it looks a bit freaky and it seriously won't go back together then send it to GWHQ asking for a replacement.

Sounds like a miscast model to me.

Although I have known some of the models to be horrendous for not fitting together.

Nubl0
19-01-2011, 03:11
I am considering sending it back but by just looking at how the hand goes together I think this will be added to the list of models that are a huge pain to put together, atleast with the big ones like the hydra and hellcannon you can just od lots of pinning and stuff, but this guy is far to small and frail for anything drastic.. be nice to see if anyone else has found him annnoying though.

Torpedo Vegas
19-01-2011, 03:29
Call up customer service if you are convinced its a miscast;), GW tends to be really good about sending you replacements. If you are any good with green stuff maybe sculpt it on instead.

ftayl5
19-01-2011, 03:59
I saw in someone's PLOG that they had a lot of trouble getting the hand on too.

Jind_Singh
19-01-2011, 04:58
Well the Vargulf drew blood more times than I care to remember, as did my Thirster of Khorne - now I've also had some scrapes with other models but these two just DRANK the blood! Crazy buggers!

ftayl5
19-01-2011, 05:06
Yeah, it's called a Bloodthirster for a reason.

Feorag
19-01-2011, 05:30
Galrauch was one of the worst models I have ever put together, ergh spikes in hands. have a look on the underempire forum and see if any of those guys are having problems with the new model!

TheYoungin
19-01-2011, 06:41

Hah hah hah.

I suck at the modeling and glueing metal aspect of this hobby and i have a little tiny night goblin shaman whos little teeny moon cresent broke off of his little teeny shaft and ill never green stuff it without being uber obvious, its very annoying knowing ill never really have my army finished cause there will always be that guy.

slayerofmen
19-01-2011, 08:32
my only really issue isn't getting the model to stay together, but that a lot of the new kits are just spiky as ****

ftayl5
19-01-2011, 08:37
I suck at the modeling and glueing metal aspect of this hobby and i have a little tiny night goblin shaman whos little teeny moon cresent broke off of his little teeny shaft and ill never green stuff it without being uber obvious, its very annoying knowing ill never really have my army finished cause there will always be that guy.

OMG I DID THAT EXACT SAME THING!!
On the BFSP shaman, the little skeleton. A picture (http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll24/ftayl5/IMG_1075.jpg) = 1000 words.

Leonathion
19-01-2011, 08:55
I think there is a gap in the two pieces of the hand, they will get covered by the middle claw though. I started bending mine but then I realised what it was supposed to look like. Accept the gap on the upper side of the arm, it will get covered by the plate of the claw.

Odominus
19-01-2011, 13:11
my only really issue isn't getting the model to stay together, but that a lot of the new kits are just spiky as ****

Yea the frame of the new warp lightning cannon is covered with sharp little spikes...

mdiscala
19-01-2011, 14:33
Its ok though because model's that you bleed on due better on the table.

tezza21
19-01-2011, 16:53
Well i hate taking bits of flash off the metal minis i was once doing the flash on a dark eldar archeon and the scalpel slipped and imbedded itself in my finger also the joy of gluing fingers together or gluing the mini part onto my finger takes the ****

Okuto
19-01-2011, 22:26
oh gosh.......you actually built the scrap launcher......perfectly......I cant even build my screaming skull catapult, I gave up on it and took more scorpions

Nubl0
19-01-2011, 22:28
I never said I built it perfectly :) infact I don't think it's possible to put it together without greenstuff/pinning, even then still gaps haha.

w3rm
19-01-2011, 22:52
I found the vhargulf fairly simple to assemble. 2 quick pinnings and you're done.

The SSC... Ive put that thing together 2 times... :`(

Haravikk
19-01-2011, 23:12
Gyrocopter is quite a bad one for building, as there is no way that super glue would ever hold those blades on, and the joins are too small for pinning. I ended up soldering mine, was the only thing that seemed to work and give a decent strength result, but I added some wooden spars to the model to further strengthen it, hopefully without looking too out of place.

Green Stuff is just invaluable. Recently got a Be'Lakor the Dark Master model, great model, but none of the pieces fit quite right, but with some blobs of green-stuff it's perfect! Now just need to figure out a way to make a cool base and how I want to paint it...

Fishslapper
20-01-2011, 00:58
I heard they make inmates at Guantanamo Bay glue the Scraplauncher together...

Ludaman
20-01-2011, 02:48
If it's even half as bad as puting a bretonnian trebuchet together, i pity you...

silashand
20-01-2011, 04:28
Although I have known some of the models to be horrendous for not fitting together.

The old metal Steam Tank... :cries: :(

Cheers, Gary

Lord Inquisitor
20-01-2011, 04:45

... And the Varghulf is a vampire ... :D

Torpedo Vegas
20-01-2011, 04:57
I heard they make inmates at Guantanamo Bay glue the Scraplauncher together...

That is too cruel, even for torture.

spiderman5z
20-01-2011, 05:01
tomb scorpions, screaming skull catapults -_-

Lord Squidar
20-01-2011, 06:09
there can be no greater torture than assembling the gyrocopter. Mein Got! What a pain in the fundemental!

TheYoungin
20-01-2011, 06:34
OMG I DID THAT EXACT SAME THING!!
On the BFSP shaman, the little skeleton. A picture (http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll24/ftayl5/IMG_1075.jpg) = 1000 words.

Check out the file i attached to this, no offence to you or your model but it was made of plastic and its not a main part of the model, with this guys little tingy attached it just looks goofy. Enjoy.

Warlord Gnashgrod
20-01-2011, 07:43
Gyrocopter is quite a bad one for building, as there is no way that super glue would ever hold those blades on, and the joins are too small for pinning.

I know exactly how you feel. I wonder what the modeler's were thinking when they designed those blades. They should've known it would be almost impossible to put togetheras metal with that little join. Would've been better if it was plastic.

I plan to try to use one of the Ork death kopta blades to replace the original blades. Once the gyrocopter has some decent rules again, that is. Right now it's just not worth fielding compared to the other options.

Awilla the Hun
20-01-2011, 09:23
I managed most of the trebuchet, but the rock that weighs the shooting arm own (technical terminology, this) will forever sit on the battlefield, the crew forever frantically trying to fix it. What do you expect? This is the Red Guards!

EDIT: Models inflicting pain... well, I haven't really had any hurting me that much. Now, lego, that's another matter altogether (damn Bionicle claws!)

Dorack
20-01-2011, 10:16
I was able to pin the blades of the Gyro, with a lot of care and patience. Pinning and superglue toghether seems to have them nice and strong for some months now. But it certainly wasn´t easy.

Here is the step by step guide I used: http://www.bugmansbrewery.com/topic/24507-how-to-make-the-gyrocopter-rotor-solid-enough/page__st__20__p__264064#entry264064

The whole blades are stowed away form the gyro for travelling and such.

theorox
20-01-2011, 10:41
Guess what? The special-donought thing. What'sitcalled...an Imperial Donought? Armourclad? Super-wolf? It's the Bloodangel one...not Death company...It's metal anyway. Furioso?

The feet. The feet. They just...wouldn't attach. It's so simple- A little stump on the leg goes into the hole of the foot-claw with a bit of superglue inbetween. The superglue vanished. Nothing happened. I added, in my foolishness, more glue. Same result. I have no idea how i managed it to attach. But now it's done.

Theo

sssk
20-01-2011, 11:12
there can be no greater torture than assembling the gyrocopter. Mein Got! What a pain in the fundemental!

I believe my gyrocopter spent the majority of a day, fully functioning. It then toppled from the flying base and lost 2 rotors and a ski.

For (I kid you not) 2 years, that gyrocopter hobbled around the battlefields of the warhammer world, somehow managing to keep one rotor (in line with the tail...bit) attached, and lying on its side on a base (if it was lucky).

Then the dwarfs went, so they gyrocopter went with them. who knows? maybe it's now happily flying around, fully pinned and supported...probably not though.

As for painful models, I can't think of anything particularly painful off the top of my head (except of course standing on old style gretchin), but it's always things like bits of cloak, or hair, which have no right to be painful, but you somehow end up with them piercing your hand just when you don't expect it.

Haravikk
20-01-2011, 12:12
The whole blades are stowed away form the gyro for travelling and such.
Well, I foolishly didn't think of that part when I soldered mine, so it's now extremely strong, but I have to carry it in a separate box, as I also stupidly glued it to its flying base as well. It's much easier for moving around the battlefield, so having a separate box with some foam bits isn't that big of a disadvantage.

I don't for the life of me understand why the rotors couldn't have been moulded as a single piece, or at the very least with had the metal joining pieces moulded onto the rotor assembly so there'd be a nice big bit of metal to glue the blade itself onto. An absolute mystery!

I really do love it now it's built and painted, but I'm strongly hoping for a plastic kit to replace it, maybe then I can have squadrons of the damned things :D
I field it in games mostly because I now have the model, that said it isn't completely rubbish, certainly overpriced but can still be a huge pain for your enemy and help to disrupt them considerably.

Spiney Norman
20-01-2011, 12:19
I take it none of you have tried to assemble the constructional nightmare that is the FW Necron Tomb Stalker. It makes the SSC look like a doddle

Morkash
20-01-2011, 20:47
Hmm, what i hate with passion is a broken flying base. A few years ago my Landspeeder had an accident and the little pin broke. And to this very day, it is impossible to glue again, I suppose you have to melt it together...
But as model per se, yes the Scraplauncher is a nightmare!

Ludaman
20-01-2011, 20:56
oh, long ago there was the horror of having to glue the greater daemon of tzeench's wings without knowing about green stuff or pinning... in the end i used little bits of toilet tissue to fill the gaps and held the damn thing for 2 hours while watching a movie... not easy for a 14 year old with ADD... ahh the good 'ole days.

Lord Inquisitor
20-01-2011, 21:19
I take it none of you have tried to assemble the constructional nightmare that is the FW Necron Tomb Stalker. It makes the SSC look like a doddle

It looks totally fun, I can well imagine.

That does remind me. Trying to assemble a Warhound titan's legs in a manner that it will actually look good and stand upright? Holy cow.

Torpedo Vegas
20-01-2011, 21:24
It looks totally fun, I can well imagine.

That does remind me. Trying to assemble a Warhound titan's legs in a manner that it will actually look good and stand upright? Holy cow.

Create a scaffolding out of toothpicks and sprue clippings.

Malorian
20-01-2011, 22:18
oh, long ago there was the horror of having to glue the greater daemon of tzeench's wings without knowing about green stuff or pinning... in the end i used little bits of toilet tissue to fill the gaps and held the damn thing for 2 hours while watching a movie... not easy for a 14 year old with ADD... ahh the good 'ole days.

I remember gluing together my first model: a necron lord.

The only part to be glued on was one arm, but at the time I didn't even know about accelerant.

Held it place while I watched a movie (like you) and was happy with it.

Ok, next I did a night bringer... a lot more parts... a lot more sitting... but after I was done I rushed over to show my girl friend.

*trip* *drop* *smash*

I was sooo pissed...

However my frustration lead me to learning about accelerant, so I guess it wasn't all bad ;)

ExquisiteMonkey
20-01-2011, 22:54
What's this accelerant business you speak of?

Malorian
21-01-2011, 00:13
What's this accelerant business you speak of?

I don't see a ;) or :p so I'm going to assume you are serious.

What it does is speed up the reaction of the glue. Either you glue something in place and give it a squirt, or say spray the arm and put glue on the body. The reaction is instant.

In fact the only thing you could say bad about it is that it's so fast that you better have it the way you want it or else you're going to get caught.

Note that this isn't always needed with plastic on plastic, but for metal on metal and metal on plastic it's a dream come true.

theorox
21-01-2011, 10:17
My superglue seems to dry instantly without any accelerant-doohda-things? Put on blob, put metal where it's supposed to go, dry.

Theo

hashrat
21-01-2011, 11:14
Thank you for reminding me of that
:mad:
I hate it to this day.

madden
21-01-2011, 11:33
Nightmares to glue are scraplauncher and skull caterpult with black coach coming in third, never tryed the gyro copter though. As for painful a regiment of spear gobbos from the starter set put onto bases ranked up on my table I get distracted buy my son put my hand down to get up and ended up with a palm full of spear tips that hurt, thankfully none snapped of in my hand but it did bleed a fair bit.

Haravikk
21-01-2011, 11:39
black coach coming in third
Black Coach is a sore one to build with that spiky top! I didn't find that mine needed much work though, it went together fairly easily, just the step that the driver sits on is a bit narrow so I used green stuff to fill the gap.

Mordheim Stagecoach is a fun one if you like a model where none of the bits fit together. Had to green-stuff every join between the main pieces of the coach, and the piece that fits the coach to the horses is too short. Fortunately though I e-mail GW about the image on the web-site, they said it used a Black Coach piece and sent me my black coach for free :D
And I managed to build both without trouble since the stage coach connecting piece fit the black coach quite nicely.

Fredox
21-01-2011, 11:51
The old metal Tyranid gargoyles were a pain to build due to there spikes. I'm guessing there not as bad individually as the ones you guys have mentioned but when there's 20 of them to build it makes a difference.

lisaundead
21-01-2011, 12:58
I bought 3 SoB Penitent Engines once and sold 2 after about 2 weeks of trying to assemble the first....assemble, smash, assemble, collapse, assemble..AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!

Recently, the Canis Wolfborn miniature....not a single leg fits in the whole provided, not one!!!!!!

Grrrrrrrrr!!

amysrevenge
21-01-2011, 16:30
I managed to pin my gyrocopter without too much trouble (but I've always been a steady hand with a pin vise, commonly drilling out cylinders barely 0.2 mm wider than the bit). It definitely needs its own separate carrying box, but I have a candy tin that is exactly the right size, and I cut some cushion foam to fit. You could toss it down the stairs and it would come out fine.

Lord Inquisitor
21-01-2011, 16:38
The old metal Tyranid gargoyles were a pain to build due to there spikes. I'm guessing there not as bad individually as the ones you guys have mentioned but when there's 20 of them to build it makes a difference.

Heh, they weren't fun particularly if you pinned them. The old metal daemonettes were also a pain to get their arms to stick due to the tiny join. I pinned and glued 50 or so of them a while ago. I had quite a few cuts from doing that, the worst was when I stabbed my pin vise through the tip of my finger...

Colonel_kex
22-01-2011, 09:58
I thought the Old treeman model was a pain in the ass, until i sat on a metal gladeguard.. now THAT was pain in the ass

ExquisiteMonkey
24-01-2011, 04:01
I don't see a ;) or :p so I'm going to assume you are serious.

What it does is speed up the reaction of the glue. Either you glue something in place and give it a squirt, or say spray the arm and put glue on the body. The reaction is instant.

In fact the only thing you could say bad about it is that it's so fast that you better have it the way you want it or else you're going to get caught.

Note that this isn't always needed with plastic on plastic, but for metal on metal and metal on plastic it's a dream come true.

Yes, I was being serious, so thanks for the response.

What is a good accelerant to use? or does that depend on the super glue being used?

*great time to be learning about this, as I will soon be assembling some Avatar's of War Dark Elf models which are too thin to be pinned...

Cheers

chieftainskritchskritch
24-01-2011, 04:30
6th ed Clanrats anyone?

The model consisted of - head, torso, legs, right arm, left arm, tail, shield and shield icon.

Not a terrible pain to put together per se (although I have been known to have a tanty over the odd tail :p), but a b**** to get to rank up! These guys get my vote because you constantly had to check and recheck that the Clanrat you're building ranks up ok with his buddies after every piece was glued on.

Malorian
24-01-2011, 20:44
Yes, I was being serious, so thanks for the response.

What is a good accelerant to use? or does that depend on the super glue being used?

*great time to be learning about this, as I will soon be assembling some Avatar's of War Dark Elf models which are too thin to be pinned...

Cheers

I use H & D's Insta-set

Stronginthearm
25-01-2011, 00:35
My personal challenge was always the old metal demonettes nothing seemed to hold those things together, I could assemble them fine then one arm would break off, then another and i would be holding 20 different pieces

theunwantedbeing
25-01-2011, 01:06
6th ed Clanrats anyone?

I rather enjoyed assembling a couple of units of them for a mate :)
One afternoon later and they went from the box to undercoated and ranked up brilliantly, I even made sure even he could rank them up as the bases had their position marked on the underside.

Not the slightest issue either.
Yay for production line model assembly :D

Pinning the blades of executionairs into place however.......oh how I wish I had an electric pin vice.
They have stayed on though, so all that effort and stabbed fingers was actually worth it.

EffCee
25-01-2011, 03:28
The Scraplauncher...I hate that model! I also hate Felix Jaeger for being on the floor when I stood on him in bare feet. The sword went in right past the runes. :cries: