PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Count Spirit Host alternatives?

sethorly
19-01-2011, 09:42
As a VC player I realise I need some Spirit Host bases as these handy little units are created from one of our offensive spells.

I'm thinking of creating 5 bases from LotR's Army of the Dead (http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/Games-Workshop/Lord-of-The-Rings/War-Of-The-Ring/ARMY-OF-THE-DEAD/prod_3136.html).

What are the scales of the LotR miniatures (they're smaller aren't they?)? If I throw 4 models onto a 40mm base would they make a good host?

Would you recommend any other alternatives?

shelfunit.
19-01-2011, 09:44
As a VC player I realise I need some Spirit Host bases as these handy little units are created from one of our offensive spells.

I'm thinking of creating 5 bases from LotR's Army of the Dead (http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/Games-Workshop/Lord-of-The-Rings/War-Of-The-Ring/ARMY-OF-THE-DEAD/prod_3136.html).

What are the scales of the LotR miniatures (they're smaller aren't they?)? If I throw 4 models onto a 40mm base would they make a good host?

Would you recommend any other alternatives?

Can't see why not -you could also use empire flagellents painted up ghostly - they have that demented spirit look and I have seen some spirit hosts made up of previous edition flagellents.

Korraz
19-01-2011, 10:13
You could use regular models of armies (State Troops, Saurus, Ogres, etc...) and paint them ghostly. Would fit. Imagine sucking the souls of a state troop unit and then placing your themed bases.

Dark Aly
19-01-2011, 10:18
You could use regular models of armies (State Troops, Saurus, Ogres, etc...) and paint them ghostly. Would fit. Imagine sucking the souls of a state troop unit and then placing your themed bases.

I saw this done in white dwarf I think and it did look very good. any collection of models can be made to look like spirit hosts just try and include a choas dwarf and a dogs of war pikemen as they're now dead too :)

sethorly
19-01-2011, 10:37
Thank you for your replies and suggestions.

I've read that the LotR models are 10mm scale, rather than the WHFB 1 inch scale. Does this mean that the LotR models in the Army of the Dead box will only be 1cm tall?

Little Joe
19-01-2011, 10:47
In that case I suggest a custom empty base with three 20mm/25mm slots (the latter being difficult but not impossible. Why not use your opponents models as well.
The 20mm one should be easy with plasticard, the second could have no border and just 2 half 25mm bases at the back end. And there you have your 50mm base with ghosts formerly known as enemy troopers.

LOTR models are 28mm, but slightly smaller/slimmer. They do not have the Warhammer heroic statue and weapons, they are rather have normal proportions and weapons. Juat like the newer WFB miniatures such as empire foot sluggers and VC skellies and ghouls.

DeadInTheHead
19-01-2011, 12:01
I've done this with the Army of The Dead, as the robes are quite bulky I put two on each base. The only problem with the scale is the weapons being smaller (the heads are much less noticeable).

If weapon scale is a problem then break out the bitz box, for me it wasn't issue enough to overcome my laziness.

I'm sure whatever solution you come up with will be better than the official models, IMO possibly the worse thing they've produced (I'll save that argument for one of the many other threads on that subject though).

Scythe
19-01-2011, 12:01
I use the newer skeletons as spirit hosts myself. I already had 100+ of the older skeletons, so I figured I might just as well use the excellent new models for something else, and created a solid 4 bases with them. Ghostly pained using some blue/green ink/wash, and a lot of white and grey, and they look fine. But honestly, you could use anything really, as long as it has a ghostly paint job. Empire flaggelants make a good match, as mentioned, but it might also be nice to make some with the core troopers of your regular opponent ;)

Vashta
19-01-2011, 12:10
I use these as my spirit hosts.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1140038

rodmillard
19-01-2011, 16:59
Thank you for your replies and suggestions.

I've read that the LotR models are 10mm scale, rather than the WHFB 1 inch scale. Does this mean that the LotR models in the Army of the Dead box will only be 1cm tall?

You're thinking of Battle Of Five Armies - as has been said, LotR figures are 28mm scale, but "true scale" rather than "heroic scale" meaning they tend to be slightly slimmer and the heads/hands are better proportioned.

For a single unit like this there should be no problem mixing them with WFB minis - or better still, use Mantic undead for your rank and file, since they are also true 28mm...

Malorian
19-01-2011, 17:26
I use these: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440104a&prodId=prod1050068

I find they work well ;)

rodmillard
19-01-2011, 17:48
I use these: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440104a&prodId=prod1050068

I find they work well ;)

They do look the part, certainly, but I think the OP was looking for something a bit cheaper than 10.75 per base.

Classius
19-01-2011, 19:56
I used the Army of the Dead for my spirit hosts, but as deadinthehead said only 2 on each base they are very bulky. (usually one hand weapon with a spear guy in the back) The scale I find is just fine since most of the model in the Vampire Count Range are tiny and make them sometimes look a little large.

Hakar
20-01-2011, 13:40
I'm planning on using the Empire soldiers, with the heads replaced with skulls.
Spray gray, drybrush with lighter gray, then ice blue. Wash with green, and voila!

cosy
20-01-2011, 16:43
I think most people do what Corraz just said. Any model is fine, just paint them in gosthly colours.

But i do hope they make new models like the drawing in the AB, those distented jaws really gives that Warhammer feel and makes them something more monstruous than just transparent humans.

Jim30
20-01-2011, 17:00
10.75 - ouch! Thats going to be almost 33 for a unit of limited value.

Personally I've gone for the creation of my stands using older models on sprues - essentially making them out of bits to look ghostly and horrific. Good opportunity to use up older models painted in ghostly colours in my view.

Meatballer
20-01-2011, 22:07
I think you should use the standard gw ghosts. Why someone wouldn't want to use a model that looks like a Halloween prop is baffling. Spoooooky!!!

Malorian
20-01-2011, 22:11

Limited value :wtf:

I don't think you give these guys much credit...

Being able to stop in place massive hordes while taking no damage is a godsend.

rodmillard
20-01-2011, 23:09

If the OP is only ever going to summon them, thats 33 for 0% of your army list. I'd be looking for a cheaper option too...

sethorly
22-01-2011, 07:34
Yeh cost is a big issue for me. I will probably take the advice in this thread and just stick some old 20 year-old models onto some 40mm bases. Shame that the Army of the Dead miniatures would only fit 2 to a base, that is not what I am looking for - not enough of a "host" feel to them. Thank you for the input!

I find they work well ;)

I kind of like the official Spirit Host, because of their generic feel. Imagine casting Wind of Death at a High Elf army, and then placing a couple of spirit hosts made of Empire spearmen as the result. Silly.

On the other hand, GW Spirit Host is a bit ugly...