PDA

View Full Version : Should I start Sisters of Battle?

Moogle
19-01-2011, 11:31
Hi guys I have a problem and was wondering if you guys could help me out.
I have always loved the sisters of battle army but when I started playing Warhammer I choose a different army due to cost.
These latest (and sketchy) rumors have me rather excited about them again and was wondering the best way to go about collecting this kind of older army.
I currently have a fairly large IG army so I can always field them as allies but the age of the models for their cost worries me.
Your thoughts?

Memnos
19-01-2011, 11:34
I would recommend not.

They're still expensive and, with Grey Knights losing the ability to ally(It's rumoured), it's possible that all your IG models will lose that when the new army comes out.

GW's new policy of not letting anyone know when something new will come out means that this could be in the next six months, which would barely be enough time to buy a bunch of models only to have them become useless.

You can, if you're not afraid and have spare cash, but I'd never recommend it.

AlexHolker
19-01-2011, 11:46
I would not buy the old minis, as they are brutally expensive, old and made using aging moulds. I'm expecting 2-4 different ranges of plastic female soldiers to come out within the next 12 months (AoW Dark Elves, GW SoB, and hopefully Mantic human and sci-fi), so I'll be buying them all as they become available and converting my own SoB units as I wait.

Moogle
19-01-2011, 11:47
Alright
Thanks for your quick responses guys
:D

laudarkul
19-01-2011, 11:47
Last year I bought around 30 SoB, 3xImmolators, 2xExorcists as well as a Seraphim Squad. I want to start an SoB army so my next target is finishing assembling and painting those models . I usually play IG and sometimes DH; but I intend that in maximum 2 months to have those models painted and start fielding them with IG allies. Maybe I'll buy this year also other models(Penitent Engine, Arco,Repentia,WH with retinue) in order to field them and test them.
As for sisters models I'll stop buying models (a person in our game club also have a SoB army so I can borrow some models for a 100% SoB force) and waiting for the new one's.
So that what I did and what I intend to do ;) regarind sisters.
I have to admit that I like the =][= metal models (that's the reason for aquiring the rest of the models from WH range).

IcedAnimals
20-01-2011, 08:15
The metal sisters are some of the best models GW has ever made. You are looking at a year + before we get our new sexy plastics.

Moogle
20-01-2011, 08:44
Maybe I'll just buy a Canoness and see how I like her?

laudarkul
20-01-2011, 17:38
I started with Canoness and Saint Celestine :D...

Inquisitor_Eljer
20-01-2011, 17:47
Maybe I'll just buy a Canoness and see how I like her?

You could, but when they get a new release I'd suspect an option, possibly plastic, with more options available. If you don't mind having 2, then by all means...you can always change your first Canoness to a Palantine later, or you could opt to not buy the new Canoness, but I suspect it'll look awfully nice and be hard to resist.

It would be more expensive to buy the metail sisters now (I think anyway), but you can occasionally find good deals on ebay or on Craig's List type sites. I've only purchased maybe 10% of my Sisters from an actual store...most were online auctions, etc., and I think my investment is between 50% and 60% of retail costs.

Best of luck good sir...they are viable in their current rendition, but they'll be so much better after a new book.

Aliarzathanil
21-01-2011, 04:44
It's probably be at least a year before a new Sisters book comes out. Go for it.

SamaNagol
21-01-2011, 04:53
They will be out nex year. You will kick yourself for buying the single pose metal figures now.

Getting the special weapons models will cost you a king's ransom

RevEv
21-01-2011, 08:45
The models are great but, sadly, they are severely underpowered against more modern Codex armies.

My wife has loads but proved to be very weak in a recent battle against my BA, mind you - they were facing the Sanguinary Guard.

Serpent
21-01-2011, 10:30
I disagree with RevEv. I believe that the Sisters can hold their own against the newer armies. Sure, against FC Blood Angel units our precious little girls will fly like fragile dolls, but the trick is to not get charged...

I've played a list (rather competative, I'll give you that) for the past two or three years and have had reasonably fair results with them. The Exorcists are great, and many opponents soon realise just how much hurt can be dished out by a full squad of Retributors. The thing with Sisters are that they need to be fine-tuned. Guard units to make up numbers, sit on home objectives and bring Heavy Weapons, Sister units to take care of regular units and Canoness and Seraphim to make sure the tougher opponents stay the heck away...

I've loved to play games with my SoB's, and it's a very different gameplay compared to other armies in Power Armour.

And, as has been said, the models are so sweet...

Shadey
21-01-2011, 12:06
Definitely get the Canoness and try her out, assuming you like the model. Won't cost you much, and assuming they do release a new Canoness, well you have the metal one as variety and to practice your paint job on.

Have Sisters actually been confirmed or is it still just speculation?

Again assuming plastics, keep in mind, you might prefer the old metal ones and after plastics being released the metal ones might be hard to get. If you keep an eye out on websites like this however you will probably get a sneak peak at the plastics before the metals sell out so if you want to hold off, you probably will be safe.

AlexHolker
21-01-2011, 12:38
Have Sisters actually been confirmed or is it still just speculation?
Stickmonkey and another person have both claimed to have seen a prototype of the new Sisters. Apart from that it's mainly speculation.

Again assuming plastics, keep in mind, you might prefer the old metal ones and after plastics being released the metal ones might be hard to get. If you keep an eye out on websites like this however you will probably get a sneak peak at the plastics before the metals sell out so if you want to hold off, you probably will be safe.
Unless GW pulls another Daemonettes, I'd say the old metals are going to be significantly easier and cheaper to get a hold of once we get a look at the new plastics, as people sell their old miniatures to make way for the new.

owen matthew
21-01-2011, 20:56
The metal sisters are some of the best models GW has ever made. You are looking at a year + before we get our new sexy plastics.

Seriously!

Also, it would not be a problem to have a unit or 2 of the old ones integrated in your new army as well. It can add badly needed flavor. Most of the old GW metals have FAR more character than the new GW plastics... I try to get an old metal squad into most of my armys as vets or something.

Korraz
21-01-2011, 21:02
Unless you can get your hands on buckets of the minis for cheap, no.

rhelsius
22-01-2011, 00:57
Go for it! You won´t be able to stop once you get the Cannoness. Those SoB models are great and full of flavour. You can always round up the army when the new plastics come out if they are any good. Be advised, however, that you should stick to a fixed list and buy only those models. I suggest you visit the WH Tactica thread to borrow some good ideas as a starting point.

silashand
22-01-2011, 07:40
Sisters were my first army and at current count I have 5000+ points of them. I think the models are some of the best GW have ever done even considering their age. IMO if you like the models and the army then go for it.

Cheers, Gary

_L_
22-01-2011, 08:13
If you like the models then I don't see why you wouldn't. New isn't always better.

Moogle
23-01-2011, 09:12
wow you guys are making this rather hard :P
first, thanks to everyone for voicing their opinions, I greatly appreciate it.
second, I think I will buy a couple and paint them to see how they look. I'm not against having older models and I know the plastics will look amazing but I feel the metal models shouldn't stick out that much.
Yet, the price is really restricting me so i doubt I'll have a full army by the time they actually get redone.
I really like Rhelsius' idea of starting with the Tactica and a fixed list. Thank you
and third, you guys are fantastic. :D