PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory wargear?

Warlord Gnashgrod
29-05-2005, 19:07
So, do you find that there's some item of wargear that you always feel you need to take in your army, or always see in armies from that particular codex?

Examples would be:

Resurrection orb for Necrons.

Multi-tracker for Tau

It seems to me that this is often the case. Comments?

Anvils Hammer
29-05-2005, 19:12
certainly, i consider a veteran sargent mandatory, the extra leadership is essential.
i also always take smoke launchers and extra armour on my tanks.

Thousandth Son
29-05-2005, 19:23
I typically believe that the Iron Halo is mandatory for Space Marine armies.

But anymore there is so much wargear diversity for most armies that there doesnt seem to be one "Mandatory" item for most of them.

boogle
29-05-2005, 19:26
an auspex/scanner and Melta Bombs are mandatory for at least 1-2 units in most of my armies

Brimstone
29-05-2005, 19:39
All Rhino's come straight from the factory fully equipped with extra armour and smoke launchers.

Bork
29-05-2005, 19:45
I guess I have one or two nobs in my ork army who I haven´t equipped with powerclaws.

worldshatterer
29-05-2005, 19:50
runes of witnessing for farseers, anything to get the extra attack for having an additional close combat weapon .

Commander X
29-05-2005, 20:03
The Manreaper for the Nurgle Lord, just too good to leave out.
And a Plasma Cannon/CCW dreadnought. No real wargear but very essential ;)

Nurgling Chieftain
29-05-2005, 20:11
I typically take a plague sword instead of the manreaper, better at killing enemy characters. The one weapon every chaos army I've fielded contains is at least one and usually more than one powerfist.

For Dark Eldar, there's the shadow field. Never leave home without it.

Edzard
29-05-2005, 20:35
A Commisar in a group of Conscripts.

Lion El Jason
29-05-2005, 20:36
I have never used an Iron Halo ever. Its not compulsory

Land raiders are like rhinos in that they come with extra armour and smoke!

lord_blackfang
29-05-2005, 20:36
For Thousand Sons, a power fist on everyone who can have it and isn't an IC.
Daemonic Possession somehow always worms its way into every vehicle that doesn't have a transport capacity. Those get Extra Armour and Smokes.

Witch Hunter
29-05-2005, 20:46
My Ordo Xenos Inquisitor never leaves the Angelus sub without his digital weapon, Psi-tracker, and eviscerators.

One of my Necron Lords always has a Gaze of Flame and a Phylactery(as an aside, I hardly ever use The ORB).

I'm planning a 13th Company Wolves army, and I see a Frost Blade being a permanent piece of wargear.

IS every Ork vehicle painted red, or is that just here?

Kjell
29-05-2005, 20:59
IS every Ork vehicle painted red, or is that just here?
Red ones go faster. So, well, there is no real reason to not paint your Ork vehicles red. Who doesn't love extra speed? ;)

Thud
29-05-2005, 21:05
All Rhino's come straight from the factory fully equipped with extra armour and smoke launchers.

Yeah. Has anyone ever seen a Rhino without Extra Armour and Smoke Launchers? Ever?

For me, Terminator Honours goes on every independent character my Space Marines army has ever used.

Ruskins
29-05-2005, 22:54
well if you are going to put a squad of expensive marines in a big moving box marked 'shoot me' you might as well try to ensure that it actualy moves.

hood_oz
29-05-2005, 23:50
Yeah. Has anyone ever seen a Rhino without Extra Armour and Smoke Launchers? Ever?

For me, Terminator Honours goes on every independent character my Space Marines army has ever used.

Honestly, I use a few rhinos without the goodness of extra armour. Only my veteran squad rhino and my predator get that.

And when my commander gets a razorback, I am sure it will be upgraded to have the extra armour.

Smoke launchers, on everything. too cheap and too handy to leave out.

I dont use terminator honours on everyone, only my veterans, and on my chaplain.

But I DO upgrade as many of my sargeants to veteran as I can afford to. Although with the new commander rule I may revise that...

Witch Hunter
30-05-2005, 01:27
Red ones go faster. So, well, there is no real reason to not paint your Ork vehicles red. Who doesn't love extra speed? ;)

I know the "Red wunz izz faster".....but couldn't the Bad Moons' or Death Skullz' try black and gold or blue, respectively, for once? Please?

Artemis_Quinn
30-05-2005, 02:16
I'm not sure if you're counting psychic powers as wargear but the way I see it a Farseer should never see battle without the wargear that allows him to cast 2 powers a turn and Mind war along with the one that allows you to re-roll saves. Mind war is just evil.

EVIL INC
30-05-2005, 03:43
I'm a big fan of havok launchers on all of my rhinos. heck, even though it isnt a whole lot, its a must have for me for only 25 points. beyond that, there is just too much variety and options to take your army in chaos to really have anything you have to have every time. truth be told, many will disagree with my on the launchers. It's always just a matter of the flavour you like and your style of play. Personally, I like to switch around in general. Keeps me from being too predictable.
Of course, that gets shot out the window in that most of my opponants know I dont field daemons.

Ouroboros
30-05-2005, 03:49
It's got to be the power weapon. First, sword, agoniser whatever. Something that ignores armour saves is pretty much the most frequently apearing wargear upgrade for any character. Even characters that pretty much suck in combat like stormtrooper sergeants have been known to sport something that gives them the "no saves in combat" rules. Once you get into independant characters the idea that they'll ignore saves in combat becomes practically a given.

Witch Hunter
30-05-2005, 04:06
Not really a wargear thing, but with the recent US release of the Deathwatch Kill Team CA rules, I'm willing to bet 20 quid to a pence that two of those "Assault" Heavy Bolters(the max allowed) will be in every Kill Team put on a tabletop.

Duymon
30-05-2005, 09:09
Not really a wargear thing, but with the recent US release of the Deathwatch Kill Team CA rules, I'm willing to bet 20 quid to a pence that two of those "Assault" Heavy Bolters(the max allowed) will be in every Kill Team put on a tabletop.

As long as suspensor tech doesn't trickle down to regular SM forces it'll be ok, otherwise we'll have assault heavy weapon super death :p

The Beast
30-05-2005, 16:31
Hive node with your gaunts, leaping with your CC warriors, wings on your tyrant. Dual VC's on your carni. All a must.

Lion El Jason
30-05-2005, 16:36
Hive node with your gaunts, leaping with your CC warriors, wings on your tyrant. Dual VC's on your carni. All a must.

Not in the new codex!

All those options were pretty much nerfed!

Jules Winnfield
31-05-2005, 23:32
bonding knife for Tau, every squad, no question.

My orks haven't got a particular piece of wargear I always use, nut under the old long dead second edition rules I did always feel a need to field a shokk attack gun. Snotlings 4tw :D

Jules

arkbird
01-06-2005, 01:32
can't forget the demonic strength and mutation on all of my IC's

Samoth
01-06-2005, 04:33
Vox casters for guard. It seems that whenever I play with them or against them any command squads in the open get singled out extraordinarily quickly. So from now on they all get vox's.

Frankly
01-06-2005, 04:40
Archon= Combat Drugs and Shadow Field.

yarrickson
01-06-2005, 22:05
The Shadowfield, agoniser and combat drugs combo is so tasty that i dont recall having ever seen a dark eldar archon without them.

but i never pop smoke and armour on my rhinos, maybe thats why i lose? ;)

Easy E
01-06-2005, 22:18
I know the "Red wunz izz faster".....but couldn't the Bad Moons' or Death Skullz' try black and gold or blue, respectively, for once? Please?

You'll be happy to know my Blood Axes use grey.
"Da red wunz maybe fasta, but da beakies'll see da trukk 'n give'm a taste ov dakka."

Witch Hunter
01-06-2005, 23:00
You'll be happy to know my Blood Axes use grey.
"Da red wunz maybe fasta, but da beakies'll see da trukk 'n give'm a taste ov dakka."

My Eternal Gratitude!! ;)

Sons of Russ
02-06-2005, 06:08
As long as suspensor tech doesn't trickle down to regular SM forces it'll be ok, otherwise we'll have assault heavy weapon super death :p

Already got one, its called 2 Assault Cannons in a 6 man terminator squad. :p

(does the Heavy Bolter retain its 30" range if you stay still?)
Kraken bolts are 30" AP4, great for whacking Firewarriors)

My characters/ HQ in terminator armor never leave home without a Combi-Plasma or Combi-Melta. ( especially Librarians with Veil of Time, yummy!)

Serpent
02-06-2005, 10:51
I always use Storm Shields for my two main characters in my 13th Company army (Wolf Lord and Rune Priest). That's my mandatory wargear...

Been looking at a Wolf Lord with Lightning Claws, Bike and Mark of the Wulfen, though. Might be interesting... :eek:

Serpent

glimli
02-06-2005, 13:38
i do like giving my master of sanctity an admantie mantle. gives him some staying power.

grizzly ruin
02-06-2005, 15:57
A Mark of Chaos.

I almost find it unbearable to not give a mark to a model that can bear one.

hairyman
02-06-2005, 16:21
Grot riggers on battlewagons and looted vehicles. 2pts to repair an immobiled result on a 4+. Brilliant.

Inquisitor_Matt
02-06-2005, 17:34
Vet Sarg with some kind of power weapon.

Solarc
02-06-2005, 17:51
Ghosthelm for Eldar Farseers. Serves two good purposes: helps farseer avoid getting wounded and helps when fighting Deamons (not that the Farseer is build to fight really powerful ones).

Holofield and Spirit stones on the Falcons. Spirit Stones on the Wave Serpents. Got to make the tanks tough.

Psycannons for Grey Knights that are troop choices. Calidus Assassin, if I take an =][= .

Black DH templ.
02-06-2005, 19:35
an auspex/scanner and Melta Bombs are mandatory for at least 1-2 units in most of my armies

What do you use the auspex for?

just
02-06-2005, 20:20
i also always take smoke launchers and extra armour on my tanks.

What? You mean they can actually be bought without them? :evilgrin:

The Grand Wazoo
03-06-2005, 14:40
The Shadowfield, agoniser and combat drugs combo is so tasty that i dont recall having ever seen a dark eldar archon without them.

I always take Shadowfield, Drugs and Punisher on my Archon. Use +1S drug, get Archon to S5 and kill Marines on 3+ instead of the 4+ from Agonizer... and there aren't that many creatures with To6 or higher around.

For Orks... Armour Plates. Ignore any hit against the vehicle on a 6+ for 5 or 10 points, dependent on base cost of the vehicle? It's awesome. Negate one penetrating lascannon shot on a dreadnought, and it has already paid for itself many times over.

Big Horns/Iron Gob is also a mainstay wargear item for Orks... and a Squighound for the Grot Slaver.

Yorkiebar
03-06-2005, 14:51
Rending claws. The only Tyranid weapon, excluding TMCs, that can kill tanks in close combat.

aznsk8s87
03-06-2005, 15:46
What? You mean they can actually be bought without them? :evilgrin:

IMO the smoke launchers are a waste of a turn that could be spent shooting.

Extra armour on the other hand is far more useful than 5 points.

The Pumpkin King
03-06-2005, 16:29
I always have blastmasters in my emperors children squads, such a useful gun! 6 model squads of daemonettes seem to feature a lot in emperors children armies aswel hmm can't think why :p

zealousheretic
03-06-2005, 17:34
Reinforced Chitin on a non-elite Carnifex.

Extended Carapace on Tyranid Warriors.

Terminator Honors on any marine character.

Easy E
03-06-2005, 19:27
WAAAGH! banner

Eldacar
04-06-2005, 05:19
Have to say Grey Knights must have psycannons.

For Inquisitors, I always take a Force Weapon along, and usually some sort of invulnerable save.

Nazguire
04-06-2005, 09:48
Archon: Shadow Field and Agoniser... nothing else is a viable alternative apart from that Punisher/Shadow Field/Combat Drugs combo :D

Wolf Lord: Frost Blade...never leaves without it....:D

Tau Shas'O: Plasma gun, Missile Pod, Target Lock, Shield Generator..actually anything I can fit on him...if you are going to make him shooty, at least have balls and go the whole hog.

The Black Aquila
04-06-2005, 18:40
I always find it mandatory to give me Senior Officer in my IG a Medallion Crimson, Carapace, Refractory field just to try and keep him alive that little bit longer. Also a Commissar with Power fist and additional CCW and Iron Discipline, Die Hards and a veteran with a standard to make sure that no one runs away if I can help it.

I use to take Vox-Casters but I figured that the points for giving Voxs to all those units could be better spent else where. Also about 4 plasma guns in each junior officer unit with my infantry platoons and all veterans in my HQ choice for added combat potential, even if IG suck in combat, I find my sheer number of attacks in counter charging wins nearly anything :evilgrin:

Grumnir
05-06-2005, 01:38
Melta Bombs

For only 5 points you get the potential (though not guaranteed) to take out any tank in the game. Also helps add to versatility of a squad as for 5 points it gives them some form of defense --> given a liberal spreading can also prevent tank shocks from becomin too common ;)

Nazguire
05-06-2005, 01:45
Melta Bombs

For only 5 points you get the potential (though not guaranteed) to take out any tank in the game. Also helps add to versatility of a squad as for 5 points it gives them some form of defense --> given a liberal spreading can also prevent tank shocks from becomin too common ;)

Meltabombs on Blood Claws means that this squad is literally prepared for any situation :D

Lord Lucifer
05-06-2005, 13:25

Well, red is a very, very load colour, and that suits the Bad Moons down to the ground.
The black flames on a yellow field is just the clan icon, the rest goes by the maxim "if it looks gaudy and rediculously expensive, it's good".
Essentially, a Bad Moons' wardrobe is the Bling of 40K, cost completely disproportionate to taste :D

As for a necessary 'mandatory wargear', it isn't technically the case, but I consider a screen of Grots to be a unit upgrade for anything behind them ;)

Wiseman
05-06-2005, 14:05
my space marines never leave home with out their power armour and bolters :rolleyes:

Konrad_Curze II
05-06-2005, 14:55
i never leave home with my orks without my trusty mekboy with kustom force field generator
many a game theyve won because of this immense item that gives a large portion of ure army a save against anything that is a threat (cause if a unit is within flamer range then theyre screwed in the next turn)

Lady Bastet
05-06-2005, 15:24
The most common one is something that cuts through armour and an invulnerable save.

In may ways I wish the 40k Wargear lists were like Fantasy magic items with one or two duff choices but overall there would be lots of options. Chaos is the closest to this with the wide aray of Daemon gifts and weapons, true it could have been presented better. The idea was sound though.

With some of the 40k armies (Eldar and Tau) they just got lazy, and there are some quite reasonable "universal" options.

For example I am certain every race has the ability to make a more powerful version of an existing item along the lines of a Master Crafted Weapon or Artificer Armour.

The Eldar special characters for example- are proof that Rune Armour is not the be all and end all of Eldar Armour.

Warlord Gnashgrod
05-06-2005, 19:35
I know that that Kustom Force Field was a definite mandatory choice for 3rd Ed Ork Speed Freaks. It's still pretty good now as well, but not as good as it used to be.

just
15-06-2005, 02:44
IMO the smoke launchers are a waste of a turn that could be spent shooting.

Extra armour on the other hand is far more useful than 5 points.

Oh yes. Cause the mighty stormbolter can easily get a big enough points return to compensate for a much higher risk of a vehicle destroyed, with additional fallout casualty, a bogged down squad or either.

Rövhalt
15-06-2005, 09:06
Rending Claws and Scything Talons, a must for my army. I go for an all CC 'nid force.

lockmaster55
15-06-2005, 14:20
ALL space marine vehicals come with extra armour and smoke launchers off mars.
ALL eldar falcons come with a holo field, as eldar have so many of them to chuck about.
Space marine squads are no larger than 5, (for they have issues with overcrowding in bunkers), and allways have a heavy weapon. (at least in my experience!)

geoffkemp
15-06-2005, 14:58
Spiky bits and a power weapon on all my CC orintated ASpring champions.

hivefleetcarrion
16-06-2005, 05:59
gift of chaos and thralls for Ic....nothing says i love you like turning a vet sarg/asp champ into something that fights for you with re-rolls :)

Grumnir
17-06-2005, 06:25
Axe of Khorne for Berzerker Aspiring Champs... I mean really... ;)

Peter
17-06-2005, 12:37
Having a nob in every unit for orks. The added punch in close combat is always a good thing to have. Also giving atleast half your nobs in the comand unit mega armour and powerclaws because they are nasty! dont always give that to your warboss though because he has the best initive in the whole army, may as well make the most of attacking first for once...

Great Harlequin
17-06-2005, 19:52
Executioner and acrobatic are the must have equipment for anyone graduating from, "Howling Banshee exarch college". Jumping from anywhere in an assault can give you such an advantage. Combined with the high initative of the Exarch you can cut down enemy characters and champion figures before they strike you. Always nice to see a Banshee exarch take down a Daemon prince in combat before he can strike :p