PDA

View Full Version : Furioso Product Description - GW's marketing angle?

Angelust
19-01-2011, 23:18
From GW's website on their preorder page for the Furioso:

"The Furioso Dreadnought is effectively a mobile infantry blender that will make your opponents want to check your codex with disbelief."

Is it just me, or does this actually turn you off to using the Furioso?

When people want to check my codex in disbelief, they're usually not having a good time and are building up some mental case why [fill in the blank] codex is OP and GW's newest instance of codex creep.

Maybe when they release the GK Dreadknight, they'll say "Your opponents will literally $#!% their pants and worship you as the Emperor when you put the Dreadknight on the table in front of their pathetic Chaos Space Marines!"

Heafstaag
19-01-2011, 23:25
Hell no it doesn't turn me off! It makes me want it even more! I can't wait to have a furioso or two along with a death company dread tearing through my opponents! My poor, poor (emphasis on the poor) bank account.

Garven Dreis
19-01-2011, 23:25
I did notice the blurb, especially with the Stormraven. Personally, I don't like it, and it actually turns me off the idea of buying those kits.

Thud
19-01-2011, 23:31
Seriously...?

Is this something to whine about too?

Garven Dreis
19-01-2011, 23:32
Seriously...?

Is this something to whine about too?

It was merely a comment about the use of vocabulary by the writers. My question to you is why you are instantly so aggressive about it.

Heafstaag
19-01-2011, 23:33
I don't see the reason why people would 'whine' about it...unless they're jealous of how badass the furioso looks! :D

Angelust
19-01-2011, 23:33
Wasn't intended as whining, but it's a pretty candid blurb of "You'll impress others, so go buy this now!" Seemed a little hamfisted when they could play up how gorgeous the model is and all of the sprue options.

Grimtuff
19-01-2011, 23:34
"The Furioso Dreadnought is effectively a mobile infantry blender that will make your opponents want to check your codex with disbelief as they wonder why on earth you were forced to charge your twin Blood Talon DC dread into their Land Raider which it cannot possibly hurt nor back away from."

Fixed it for you. ;)

Mannimarco
19-01-2011, 23:35
I hate stuff like that. Depending on who you want to listen to on here you will fall into one of two camps: "Codex creep is very real and if you dont upgrade to the new shiny they your going to be at a disadvantage" or "theres no such thing as codex creep! Its all just a fabrication made up by people on the net".

Of course its in GW best interest to increase the power level of the newer books, after all if your little 3rd or 4th edition codex is just as powerful as the new shiny they why would you ever want to go out and buy a new army?

This is your basic advertising at bandwagoners and kids: "This is super powerfully awesomely mega good!!!! you will win with the new shiny!!!! you like to win!!!! buy the new shiny!!!!! win with the new shiny!!!!!"

Does it put me off the new furioso? No it just reminds me that if I want the new uber powerful mega unit that will absolutely positively slaughter my enemies army then Im going to need to buy the newest shiny.....until the next new shiny comes out and then that will be even more uberly awesomely powerful that will make my opponents check my codex with disbelief, even if it is just to say "wow they actually released somthing so broken? I take it they dont even care about how balanced things are just as long as it sells the new shiny?"

Thud
19-01-2011, 23:37
It was merely a comment about the use of vocabulary by the writers.

My bad. I guess I must have been thrown off when you said it turned you off buying the model, or when you offered tendentious expectations for the blurbs on later releases. *

My question to you is why you are instantly so aggressive about it.

Aggressive? I wouldn't say I'm aggressive. You could say I'm not a big fan of going out of one's way to find something to complain about, though.

Edit: *Didn't realize you were two different people. Whoops! Sorry about that.

Angelust
19-01-2011, 23:40
This was extremely funny to me:

(For the Storm Raven)
"It's a flying red fist of death that's going to punch their army until it begs for mercy."

I personally really hope they bring this kind of writing to their upcoming codex releases.

"The Paladin Terminators are a steel toed boot that smashes the shins of tyrants as the Death Cult Assassins Shoryuken uppercut the commanders back to the Eye of Terror."

You have to admit it's pretty funny writing...

Thud
19-01-2011, 23:43

(For the Storm Raven)
"It's a flying red fist of death that's going to punch their army until it begs for mercy."

I personally really hope they bring this kind of writing to their upcoming codex releases.

"The Paladin Terminators are a steel toed boot that smashes the shins of tyrants as the Death Cult Assassins Shoryuken uppercut the commanders back to the Eye of Terror."

Of course it's funny. It's hilarious. It makes Goto's crimes against literature seem like Goethe. :)

Ozybonza
19-01-2011, 23:44
Next up, for Grey Knights:
"Women everywhere are throwing their panties at people with large Grey Knight armies - start collecting now or remain a virgin forever!"

Wishing
19-01-2011, 23:47
Yeah, this is a bizarre new low of cheesiness, like they are intentionally trying to parody themselves. I'm just left with confusion.

Garven Dreis
20-01-2011, 00:01
Yeah, this is a bizarre new low of cheesiness, like they are intentionally trying to parody themselves. I'm just left with confusion.

I think the irony is that it probably wasn't intended to be a satirical, but a legitimate marketing attempt. Although, it does identify what their target demographic for these models are. :shifty:

I mean, it's a nice enough looking model. However, I'd rather have a Malcador Defender.

KingDeath
20-01-2011, 00:11
I think the irony is that it probably wasn't intended to be a satirical, but a legitimate marketing attempt. Although, it does identify what their target demographic for these models are. :shifty:

I mean, it's a nice enough looking model. However, I'd rather have a Malcador Defender.

Heathen! Everyone knows that the Valdor tank hunter is the best Malcador variant! Meh, now i just have to find some justification why my city fighters should own a dedicated tankhunter...erm ( and how on earth i manage to justify spending 90 Euros on a bunch of resin ), but back on topic, yeah, GW's descriptions of the new Blood Angels stuff is a bit odd.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
20-01-2011, 00:11

It also identifies that their marketing blurb writers aren't the most imaginative ;). Or seem to realise what they are actually admitting to so blatantly (that new shiny models get good rules).

Not that I actually have a problem with new shiny models getting good rules, it's a sound marketing strategy. It's just quite amusing that they've gone so far as to admit it.

Garven Dreis
20-01-2011, 00:26
Heathen! Everyone knows that the Valdor tank hunter is the best Malcador variant! Meh, now i just have to find some justification why my city fighters should own a dedicated tankhunter...erm ( and how on earth i manage to justify spending 90 Euros on a bunch of resin ), but back on topic, yeah, GW's descriptions of the new Blood Angels stuff is a bit odd.

I should know, I have my Valdor Tank Hunter sitting right next to me :D . But I do agree with the Blurb. Mind you, it seems there is a lot about how nicely the model fits together, but honestly, the Stormraven would be a bit annoying to paint unless I used my Airbrush, damn those flat panels.

night2501
20-01-2011, 00:51
Well at least now i have an official answer when people ask me why I say GW is not interested in having a proper and balanced ruleset XD

The Red Pilgrim
20-01-2011, 01:41
It seems similar to how Warmachine pitched the Torch, for Khador.. :shifty:

Chem-Dog
20-01-2011, 02:08

"The Furioso Dreadnought is effectively a mobile infantry blender that will make your opponents want to check your codex with disbelief."

Where they should have said....

"The Furioso Dreadnought cures social awkwardness, acne, ugliness and that....smell and will make you irresistable to babes and popular with everyone else."

:shifty:

ORKY ARD BOYZ
20-01-2011, 02:23
I would liken the Stormraven to a brick being thrown through a window with a note attached - it gets the message across with suitably excessive force.

I couldn't help grimacing when I read this.

They are relentless, destructive and more than prepared to get their hands dirty. Do you have what it takes to lead them?

Why am I forcibly reminded of those 'choose your own adventure' books I used to read when I was 7...

ilikebmxbikes
20-01-2011, 02:41
the wording does turn me off. i am a long time BA player and will definatly purchase the kit, but it is kind of a jab at people who have old codexes. kinda encourages the bandwagoning and 'counts as' the newest codex trend we always see now.

DaSpaceAsians
20-01-2011, 03:35
Is it just me or did they ask a bunch of little kids to write that. I know it's GW's target audience but Flying red fist of death :wtf:

Inquisitor_Tolheim
20-01-2011, 03:42

(For the Storm Raven)

It's HILARIOUS writing. It's so campy that I almost think it's intentional. Almost.

jacktheinedible
20-01-2011, 03:57
Its almost like GW markets products to 13 year olds or something....

Drongol
20-01-2011, 04:01
It's like a MONSTER TRUCK that your POUR INTO YOUR MOUTH!

Blood Angels have what plants crave. They've got electrolytes!

Inquisitor_Tolheim
20-01-2011, 04:32

Made me laugh out loud. Well played.

Knifeparty
20-01-2011, 04:43
Honestly, In the grim dark future there is also room for a bit of humour. I mean, would you be saying the same thing if they had said that about an Ork Stompa kit? Just because it's blood angels it doesnt have to take it's self that seriously.

Of course its cheezy and over the top, it was obviously intentional. Believe it or not the servitors that work down in GW are people too, albeit lobotomized people.

And just to add...

"...and your furious charge will make you run so fast mother nature will be like "SSSSLLLOOOWWW DDDDOOOWWWNNN" and you'll be all like **** you and punch her in the face with your POWER FIST!"

DeviantApostle
20-01-2011, 04:55
The real irony about the marketing blurb is that any 'disbelief' engendered is the least of the problems with a ruleset that is impossible to defend.

insectum7
20-01-2011, 05:04
Yeah, I agree with the OP and think that it's tasteless.

GW has been drinking too much of its own kool-aid.

"...and your furious charge will make you run so fast mother nature will be like "SSSSLLLOOOWWW DDDDOOOWWWNNN" and you'll be all like **** you and punch her in the face with your POWER FIST!"

These however are genius.

lotrchampion
20-01-2011, 05:21
Pssh, made me giggle. I then mentally went away and imagined going "nyoowwwwww" with the Stormraven. Although I wouldn't let go if it while doing so.... :p

At the end of the day, after all the seriousness we sometimes invest in our manly manly wargaming, to get back to pushing toy soldiers around a table making dakka dakka noises. I think this language does kind of embody that - whether it's suitable for advertising, I'm not really sure. However, if when I open the front door of the Stormraven, a big red fist pops out and punchs my opponent's army (yes, his whole army) in the face, I will feel it is entirely justified. :D

Hellebore
20-01-2011, 05:34
The problem is that it isn't being done as a joke. It's funny to laugh at and not take seriously, but that's what parents read when buying their kids' stuff. It's there to seriously sell their products to the average consumer.

Which means GW thinks the average consumer is a ***** or they've been sniffing too much of their own overpriced glue.

It's the same kind of advertising they've been doing in their codicies. X smashed Y hardcore cause he's a badass stories are now being used to sell their products directly.

Hellebore

TheLaughingGod
20-01-2011, 05:48
I almost want this to be a think for a while.

"BUY THE AVATAR OF KHAINE BECAUSE HE LET CALGAR KILL HIM. AND THEN HE CAME BACK TO LIFE. RAAWWWWRRGH."

AlexHolker
20-01-2011, 05:55
Is it just me or did they ask a bunch of little kids to write that.
Close, it's Matt Ward.

"BUY THE AVATAR OF KHAINE BECAUSE HE LET CALGAR KILL HIM. AND THEN HE CAME BACK TO LIFE. RAAWWWWRRGH."
"Have you accepted the Avatar of Khaine as your lord and savior?"

Str10_hurts
20-01-2011, 06:13
Haha the Idiodcracy remarks were funny.

This is what a drop in sales will make a company do, quite sad.

The Old Scholar
20-01-2011, 06:21

I laughed so hard I blew snot out my nose when I read this...Angelust, you're hilarious!

Reflex
20-01-2011, 08:21
Makes me dislike blood angels. The army comes across as arrogant, even for space marine standards...

LostTemplar
20-01-2011, 10:17

I'm sorry, but I though this was a miniature game, and that when we bought things, we bought, I don't know miniatures.

Its pretty hilarious but I don't think anyone reads that and decides not to buy based on on what some random hamster wrote on the wall.

And if they do, they should get a slapping.

Remember kids, its not cool to hate just for the sake of hating. :)

BaloOrk
20-01-2011, 10:23
In a couple of years we`ll see something like this.

"This new superkillyinvulnerabledeathunit will make your opponent quit his hobby completly, this will be your ultimate victory"

Godzooky
20-01-2011, 10:47
Jesus.

Have GW just taken on Michael Bay as head of marketing? :shifty:

nedius
20-01-2011, 11:50
I like how they say that the opponant won't believe the furioso rules, and then goes on to say how you can top the Furioso with a death company dread, and top THAT with a Librarian dread.

So, the first is so written to make opponants disbelive it's that good (which must be at least one defenition of over powered - something suprisingly better than it would be normally percieved to be), and then they claim they have trumped that TWICE within the same dex?

It is indeed odd that codex creep is now part of the advertisement strategies.

ChrisMurray
20-01-2011, 12:04
I quite like it. Makes it abit more exciting. Eventually everything will have a similar bit of text. It's no different to the kind of advertising you get with other toys and games. The only reason to really get upset is if you take the game abit too serious and this has just reminded you that our toy soldiers are just toys.

AlexHolker
20-01-2011, 12:30
It's no different to the kind of advertising you get with other toys and games.
Yes, it is. I don't mind having a little tactics blurb under the product entry (although I'd prefer they use that space to tell us something useful, like who sculpted it), but they should at least pretend that the person giving you tactics advice has greater tactical insight than a drug-addled 8 year old.

Wishing
20-01-2011, 13:59
I quite like it. Makes it abit more exciting. Eventually everything will have a similar bit of text. It's no different to the kind of advertising you get with other toys and games. The only reason to really get upset is if you take the game abit too serious and this has just reminded you that our toy soldiers are just toys.

It's true that in the end, the models are toys, and on some level we shouldn't be surprised when they start marketing them like they are talking to 13-year olds. However, traditionally the text associated with 40k and warhammer has kept a fairly adult tone, in the way that one 20-something gamer would address another 20-something gamer. The hobby may be ultimately based on the adolescent "wow! crash, bang awesome!" level, but the writers have traditionally recognised that their audience is chiefly adults like themselves, and have addressed them as such.

The kind of tone that these text blurbs have remind me of the kind of writing you find in Blood Bowl books. The difference is that that writing is in character, as narrated by a Blood Bowl commentator, and the game is in itself a parody of the more "serious" warhammer games. These texts take the parody and turn it on reality. Rather than a BB commentator describing the mayhem to the hordes of slavering idiot fans, GW have taken on the role of "40k commentator" and expect the readers to take on the role of "13-year old fanboys". If it is done as parody, like in Blood Bowl, then fair enough, it's just a new direction. If we're seriously meant to feel comfortable being talked down to like we are children, then that's just insulting. Even though we are talking about plastic toys, the audience for a space marine vehicle is different than the market for He-Man or GI Joe. At least I hope so.

jack da greenskin
20-01-2011, 15:32
"Women everywhere are throwing their panties at people with large Grey Knight armies - start collecting now or remain a virgin forever!"

Might siggy that :L

Yes, it does turn me off. It sounds like something a 12 YO kid would say (they're marketing at kids?!).

I like the deep and thoughtful background of 40k, dumming down from "When a marine.... Encapsulated in a metal tomb... This kit contains all the options to make your black-thirsted sarcophagus, and more" to "BUY! BUY! WIN! DIS FING WILL MEK YOO WIN!! SO BUY!! is powerful yeah! You get me? BUY! you get me?"

razormasticator
20-01-2011, 15:37

LOL... love it!

SPYDER68
20-01-2011, 15:47
Oh my!.. They Added some text saying this thing is AMAZING! so... i can't use it..

How dare GW ever put anything besides So and so Product at so and so price..

Codex Creep has now turned into model sales creep.. oh noes...

IG Manticore...

These fearsome vehicles are favoured by Imperial Guard commanders who like to pound their enemy into oblivion with relentless firepower from the other side of the battlefield

Must be a power gamer only tank now..

totgeboren
20-01-2011, 16:13
GW can ofc write whatever they want on their boxes, however, it will affect what crowd becomes interested.

They used to target young adults, and that was why I got hooked on GW when I was a kid. It was a bit more grown up, and had a much more interesting background and presentation compared to the other things available that was also directed at me as a young teenager.

For instance, we had MtG, that was presented as "Buybuy! The new expansion will PWN all earlier expansions BUYBUY! Just look at how cheap you can play these cards compared to your old ones!", which I quit playing quickly, precisely because I was obvious that the game was all about selling cards, and the backstory was something very few were even aware of.

I got hooked on GW in part of their marketing. A strong, weird but very interesting background, and nice looking models to go with this.
The rules often felt like they were there mostly just so you could play with the models, like they were added as an afterthought.

Now GW is switching around, and pushing the rules as a main route of selling models, which is what MtG was (is?) all about, and which made me lose interest in a short timespan.

So no, I don't like it at all, since I know from experience that that kind of marketing always make me quit a hobby.

It might attract others, but it will push me away.

Rabid Bunny 666
20-01-2011, 17:19
Honestly, In the grim dark future there is also room for a bit of humour. I mean, would you be saying the same thing if they had said that about an Ork Stompa kit? Just because it's blood angels it doesnt have to take it's self that seriously.

Of course its cheezy and over the top, it was obviously intentional. Believe it or not the servitors that work down in GW are people too, albeit lobotomized people.

And just to add...

"...and your furious charge will make you run so fast mother nature will be like "SSSSLLLOOOWWW DDDDOOOWWWNNN" and you'll be all like **** you and punch her in the face with your BLOOD FIST!"

fixed that for you.

I don't really mind the blurb, i'm just looking forwards to the;

"The Emperor has been kidnapped by Xenos Ninjas, are you a bad enough Dude to save him?" blurb for the next Black Templar codex.

nedius
20-01-2011, 17:20
Oh my!.. They Added some text saying this thing is AMAZING! so... i can't use it..

How dare GW ever put anything besides So and so Product at so and so price..

Codex Creep has now turned into model sales creep.. oh noes...

IG Manticore...

These fearsome vehicles are favoured by Imperial Guard commanders who like to pound their enemy into oblivion with relentless firepower from the other side of the battlefield

Must be a power gamer only tank now..

There's a difference in your two quotes.

The one here is a direct appeal to a gamer's sence of "I want new shiny to win games!" . The latter is simmilar, but a little more sophisticated. It takes it from both a gamer and fluff point of view. Abbadon won't be in his next book ranting over a BA codex.

A fluff imperial commander may prefer manitcores as he is an artilleryman at heart, prefering to use big guns to keep his enemies at a distance, rather than letting his men fight and die in hand to hand. A gamer can take the same approach, but they could have been talking about either.

"Your opponant won't believe how powerful the base unit is, nevermind how powerful the upgrades are!!" is not at all fluff based. There's no subtlety. It goes straight for the materialistic jugular. "I won't buy this because it fits the fluff/scheme of my army, I'll buy it because my opponant will be dismayed at how powerful my new purchase is!"

Why should this matter? Why are many not pleased?

Well, to me, it's because one of GWs main selling points is how deeply it is entrenched in a deep, dark, gothic fluff. To take a step away from that fluff, to take us away from the immersion open to us by becoming the Imperial commander who prefers manticores, towards a place where we simply buy because it's new is a dangerous road.

New things get old quickly. If they play for the novelty appeal, soon it won't just be the product that loses the novelty, but all of GW. Then players move on. If you can hold the immersion, capture people imagination so that they 'become' that commander, that they think of their army as 'their army' and not 'their toys', then you will get someone who will stay in the hobby for as long as they have money to spend on it. And spend they will.

Stealin' Genes
20-01-2011, 17:41
"Buy SHRIKE to lead your marines and they'll be good at SPORTS!

He'll make your marines run ABNORMALLY FAST!"

Chem-Dog
20-01-2011, 17:48

WIN!

I really need to watch that film again.

This new superkillyinvulnerabledeathunit will make your opponent quit his hobby completly

UNTIL he sees his new Ultrakillyinvincibledeathkillsquad.....

A misanthrope might well see GW as perpetuating an arms proliferation where newer units are far more powerful than older units because this will sell more, personally, I'm in a situation where few of my regular gaming opponants can buy a whole new army at the drop of a hat, at 40+ quid the Stormraven (or squadron thereof) will have to wait until I've payed all the bills...

Jesus.

Have GW just taken on Michael Bay as head of marketing? :shifty:

Would Michael Bay Codexes be better or worse than Matt Ward ones?:eyebrows:

However, traditionally the text associated with 40k and warhammer has kept a fairly adult tone, in the way that one 20-something gamer would address another 20-something gamer.

Have you ever had a conversation with a 20 year old gamer?...when describing the usefulness of a unit they seem to be obsessed with how much of whatever they are equipped with they can forcefully insert into any given enemy orifice...
Of course, a decade or so later and we're still not much better:angel:

I honestly don't see the fuss, GW has been a PLC for some time, if they try a new tack for bumping up sales in an ecconomically unstable climate this is all well and good, the sooner they realise that loyalty schemes and discounts will do more to convince us to part with our few scant denari in their direction, the better.

TheMav80
21-01-2011, 03:07
I bet the BA Dreads went to RAANGER SCHOOL!

TheLaughingGod
21-01-2011, 03:19
GW sez

"Furioso dreadnoughts are so good, your opponents will call you out for lying!"

eyescrossed
21-01-2011, 04:57
I have a very dim view on GW now.

I mean, not that I didn't before, but you know.

Hellebore
21-01-2011, 06:36
It just reads like a sleazy car salesman trying to get you to buy stuff by telling you how awesome you'll be if you do.

Most parents don't like sleazy car salesmen. If I was buying something for my kids and the advertiser talked to me like that I'd tell them to go jump. How many 12 year olds read product descriptions of things? How many of their parents will be reading it instead?

It's just bottom of the barrel lowest common denominator stuff.

And it still won't work because their models are too expensive and the investment is too large.

It's kind of ironic really, they use the kind of language to attract customers that is used by people who wouldn't be customers. That's the sort of thing people with 6 second attention spans are attracted to. GW's products are hardly user friendly.

Hellebore

Wicksy
21-01-2011, 13:18
Fixed it for you. ;)

...or chase around a rhino like a pathetically lovelorn puppy....this usually how my death company dreads end up :D

ColShaw
21-01-2011, 14:29
I think this advertisement is pretty much exactly in line with how the rest of the Blood Angels fluff is written this edition.

Which is not a good thing. But hardly surprising.

I'm getting cynical in my old age.

eyescrossed
21-01-2011, 14:33
They didn't do the same for Dark Eldar, thankfully.

loveless
21-01-2011, 14:45
Would Michael Bay Codexes be better or worse than Matt Ward ones?:eyebrows:

Well, every weapon would use the large blast template, the story parts would simply be an excuse to get to the next explosion, and every codex would feature an attractive, yet inarticulate female character.

The Bay Bolter - 48" S8 AP1 Assault 10, Large Blast, Spray and Pray*

*Spray and Pray - The Bay Bolter may be fired at a different target for each of its shots.

That oughta do it.

---------------

As for the marketing blurb...doesn't bug me, and doesn't stop me from getting the Furioso.

sliganian
21-01-2011, 14:59

But is the Blood Angels Dreadnought... OVER 9000!!!!!

:D

Memes for the Meme God

eyescrossed
21-01-2011, 15:03
I just accidentally a whole Furioso. Is this bad???

On topic, if this advertizing trend continues... I will be annoyed.

Hicks
21-01-2011, 20:14
I think it almosts read as: "Buy the newest army, it's ubber cheezy and will easily beat all of of your friends terrible OLD armies".

This is still a game and even if it isn't fun to lose, both players should at least have some fun during a game. Their is no pride in winning with a clearly overpowered army and no fun in getting utterly destroyed without any chance of retaliating. Yet, GW seems to advertize the opposite now. That's quite a change from the message they try to pass in the main rulebook.

Master_of_Asgard
21-01-2011, 20:41
the sooner they realise that loyalty schemes and discounts will do more to convince us to part with our few scant denari in their direction, the better.

They did that a few years back with the Skullz thing. Spend 10 and get one Skull sticker on your book, then when you get 10 of them send off for a limited edition model, or 15 for a cooler model, etc. What happened to the in the end?

This was nearly 10 years ago though, when you could order individual metal parts from the mail order catalogue- no matter how tiny it was those guys would find it for you- and GW cared more about it's loyal customers' satisfaction and less about hearing the echo in their (parent's) wallets as they left the store. :(

Ahh, those were the days. 10 for a tactical squad.... Good times....

Captain Ventris
21-01-2011, 20:54
I just accidentally a whole Furioso. Is this bad???

The whole thing????

DeeKay
21-01-2011, 21:05
Is it just me or did they ask a bunch of little kids to write that?

Close, it's Matt Ward.

This will be sigged. It made my day. :D

I think it almosts read as: "Buy the newest army, it's ubber cheezy and will easily beat all of of your friends terrible OLD armies".

This is still a game and even if it isn't fun to lose, both players should at least have some fun during a game. Their is no pride in winning with a clearly overpowered army and no fun in getting utterly destroyed without any chance of retaliating. Yet, GW seems to advertize the opposite now. That's quite a change from the message they try to pass in the main rulebook.

This is the issue here. The rulebook even has its own bit on "having fun is more important than winning" but then GW come up with this. Makes you wonder whom they are catering for.

With regards,
Dan.

eyescrossed
22-01-2011, 02:21
The whole thing????

Wait... Is there a response to that? That's all I know of the meme :D

Kulgur
22-01-2011, 03:29

To be fair, a good third of the blood angels stuff that gets fielded makes me check their codex with disbelief...

Bunnahabhain
22-01-2011, 09:17
Flying red fist of death? Please sir, can we have our rending pony launchers back? They sounded far less silly....

The whole thing sounds like an American trying to do British humour, but taking it all far too seriously, so managing to get the worst of both at once.

Souleater
22-01-2011, 12:42
I found myself re-reading several bits of the BA codex when I first read it.

I guess we've left behind the idea of starting a new army because of the beautiful new figures.

I think it's time for an alternative ruleset - Warhammer 40,000: Grumpy Old Geeks.

Hellebore
22-01-2011, 12:47
I have been tempted to write a 40k ruleset and just rewrite the codicies as they come out to be less fap and more ... not fap.

How many people would actually use it though is another matter.

Hellebore

Stealin' Genes
22-01-2011, 14:47
Souleater, I think they have that, it's called 2e :)

In my day, we rolled sustained fire dice for assault cannons, and if you rolled three jams, your guy exploded! We hiked ten miles to our game store, in the driving snow, just for a chance to play warhammer, and we liked it, dagnabbit!

DaSpaceAsians
23-01-2011, 12:53
It's not so bad when you read the Stormraven blurb in french. It's something along the lines of ''It is a devastating punch thrown towards your opponent's army'' when translated

farfromsam
23-01-2011, 14:56
More effective than an eggbeater up a uterus, product X will take care of any problem on the battlefield...yea right. The face you made after reading that is the same one I made after reading the product description.

VonManstein
23-01-2011, 17:25
Oh noez, does GW really apply marketing techniques similar to what 90% of all companies do too? It's almost....like they are a company.

The fact that some people apparantly get all upset about this and so don't buy it; was a thing GW had not expected to happen probably... because one would think that the people who realise it's just marketing, would not get affected by it at all.

On a sidenote; somebody tried to sell fresh fruit in a really enthousiastic manner to me at my local market. But I didn't buy his sweet talk, so instead chose to buy rotten fruit which I happily found lying on the ground in the supermarket.

And before you ask, yes I'm dissapointed in mankind.

Hrw-Amen
23-01-2011, 17:50
If this is what they have come up with for the Blood Angels, just wait until the next generic SM codex comes along and the marketing chaps have to come up with something blue and very ultra! I dread to think!

daemonicemission
24-01-2011, 03:12
Maybe when they release the GK Dreadknight, they'll say "Your opponents will literally $#!% their pants and worship you as the Emperor when you put the Dreadknight on the table in front of their pathetic Chaos Space Marines!"

HA! Dude, you made my day.

Also, promo, buy 2 Dreadknights and get a free pack of adult diapers. Face!

Knifeparty
24-01-2011, 03:28
I think you all may be missing the point.

The single reason this is a brilliant marketing strategy is that there is an entire thread on it and you all can't get the thought of a furioso dreadnought punching somebody in the face out of your heads.

When was the last time you could say that about any product advertised on TV.

AlexHolker
24-01-2011, 07:25
The single reason this is a brilliant marketing strategy is that there is an entire thread on it and you all can't get the thought of a furioso dreadnought punching somebody in the face out of your heads.
Oh, you're one of those people. Look, having people talking about what a god-damn failure you are is not good publicity, no matter what some moronic soundbite says. Especially when the only people talking about it aren't potential new customers, but people who are already more familiar with your product and future release schedule than your own employees.

Satan
24-01-2011, 08:17
I work as a web marketer(editor so I write the kind of blurbs found on GW's site pretty often for all random sorts of stuff, albeit within my field of work of course.

Just wanted to chirp in and say that you get a pretty strong indication of what kind of texts work well in regards to SEO and what people are interested in reading more about - mainly based in statistics from google analytics but other marketing tools as well.

Of course, I have no clue whether there's any strategy to these product blurbs on the GW site, but the possibility exists - albeit that's no guarantee it's actually applied. But from my perspective as a fellow gamer - yeah, those texts are really kind of dumb. What kind of signal do they send to kids who want to play a game? Doesn't exactly give off "Fair-play"-vibes.

Knifeparty
24-01-2011, 14:06
Oh, you're one of those people. Look, having people talking about what a god-damn failure you are is not good publicity, no matter what some moronic soundbite says. Especially when the only people talking about it aren't potential new customers, but people who are already more familiar with your product and future release schedule than your own employees.

90% of the people who play this game aren't potentially new customers, this hobby is based mostly on word of mouth, and if all you're talking about to your friends is how "stupid, funny, or over the top" that advertisement is then they did something right enough to stick into your head.

I'm neither here nor there on this subject and mostly playing devils advocate. As a one time only gurrilla marketing strategy I'd say its funny and works, I do not however want to see this kind of thing all the time as it can potentially get a rise from some of the people who I feel take this game and their "hatred" for GW way too seriously.

Also I can't really tell if you were yelling at me or just the thread in general, but your post came off a little strong. Not that I'm not guilty of that myself from time to time.

Doesn't exactly give off "Fair-play"-vibes.

Agree with this completely!

Bunnahabhain
24-01-2011, 14:10
But you wouldn't mention something like that to someone who doesn't play, as they wouldn't get it, and just think it sounds stupid.....

It's just one more example of GW trying to wreck their own background. You can write descriptively about something without it being cringe making.

Satan
24-01-2011, 14:31
But you wouldn't mention something like that to someone who doesn't play, as they wouldn't get it, and just think it sounds stupid.....

It's just one more example of GW trying to wreck their own background. You can write descriptively about something without it being cringe making.

Agreed. But a text regarding a product like this shoudl serve to inspire purchase. I think something regarding tactics or fluff would work best in that regard. It's pretty much like selling travel experiences actually - you're not selling the dreary 3,5 hours you spend in the airport (read: 15 hours of converting, assembling and painting the blasted thing) - you're selling the FEELING of a cool breeze in the warm sun, the taste of a tropical orange juice drink in your hand and the sweet touch of an azure ocean beneath your floating body (read: the turbulence of flak guns as the transport hurdles towards the ground, the BANG! and shake os the brakes kick in, the sound of gunfire and bombs when the hatch drops and the roar of the chainswords as your assault troops spill from its innards to wreak havoc in the name of the emperor).

Bunnahabhain
24-01-2011, 15:08
You mean something like:

The storm raven is a heavily armoured assault transport, with more weapons and armour than most Armies heaviest vehicles. It can quickly deliver a squad of Blood angels, and a dreadnaught to do what they do best- smite the foes of the Emperor in a decisive assault. It is also virtually immune to the common 'melta' weapons that makes this job dangerous for Land Raiders.

Its appearance on the battlefield is sure to strike fear into your opponents, as they will have to deal with both fiercesome firepower and lethal assault units.

Satan
24-01-2011, 15:11
You mean something like:

The storm raven is a heavily armoured assault transport, with more weapons and armour than most Armies heaviest vehicles. It can quickly deliver a squad of Blood angels, and a dreadnaught to do what they do best- smite the foes of the Emperor in a decisive assault. It is also virtually immune to the common 'melta' weapons that makes this job dangerous for Land Raiders.

Its appearance on the battlefield is sure to strike fear into your opponents, as they will have to deal with both fiercesome firepower and lethal assault units.

Yeah. Something like that. They'd want to use a lot of trademarks and product names such as "Blood Angels", "Land raiders", "Space marines" among a number of other factors to get an SEO-friendly text as possible and dominating the first page of search results on google to a large extent as possible. Considering who they'll want to sell these to one should consider that in my country at least the parents and not the kids will be the ones placing online orders so maybe they ought to be targeting adults with these descriptions. Especially those shopping for kids but have little to no idea about the products.

So, something like:

The FURIOSO DREADNOUGHT is a ELITE choice for the BLOOD ANGELS SPACE MARINE army.

But workable. The above is not intended as a suggestion. Just saying that if you make it easier for the intended recipient to understand what he/she's looking at it might be easier to goad them into making a purchase. Especially if they're acting on someone else's orders.

Actually, if I google Furioso Dreadnought then GW isn't even at the top of the list. They'll want to push all other internet retailers and pages like lexicanicum aside, because that'll make it that much easier for prospective customers to find them.

Tamwulf
24-01-2011, 15:46
It's all marketing trying to appeal to the 12 year old kid who likes to Rex Fas and Teabags his opponents.

Come on! The veteran... and by that, I mean adult-ish players of 40K, know how effective the Furiso is on the tabletop. They will either buy it because it works or not. Some will even buy it purely by looks alone. Most will simply roll their eyes and say "Whatever." Some might even be embarrassed, though this befuddles my mind as you probably have a large-ish collection of little toy soldiers to begin with, but I digress.

To the 12 year old kid who doesn't know any better and who GW target's their marketing strategy to, reading "The Furiso Dread ROX FAS and will Teabag your enemies!1!!11!" is all it takes for him to buy one.

Satan
24-01-2011, 16:35
It's all marketing trying to appeal to the 12 year old kid who likes to Rex Fas and Teabags his opponents.

Come on! The veteran... and by that, I mean adult-ish players of 40K, know how effective the Furiso is on the tabletop. They will either buy it because it works or not. Some will even buy it purely by looks alone. Most will simply roll their eyes and say "Whatever." Some might even be embarrassed, though this befuddles my mind as you probably have a large-ish collection of little toy soldiers to begin with, but I digress.

To the 12 year old kid who doesn't know any better and who GW target's their marketing strategy to, reading "The Furiso Dread ROX FAS and will Teabag your enemies!1!!11!" is all it takes for him to buy one.

Yeah, but the average 12-year old in Sweden doesn't place orders on the internet. In fact, it's illegal. And IIRC so is it in the UK. You have to be what, 13 at least?

If it should say that, then it should say so on the package, in the store. Not on the SEO interwebs where google will laught at the sentence you just posted and file it under "spam".