PDA

View Full Version : Everything That's Wrong With The Storm Raven, A fair minded model review

cvife
20-01-2011, 14:00
I'm not sure if this is the right place but:

Ok, so time for my first attempt at a model review:

The Storm Raven:

Now, its no big secret that I'm a big fan of a lot of what GW makes, specially their big kits, so when I first heard that the Blood Angels and Grey knights would be getting a new big flyer type thing called the Storm Raven I expected something really cool looking, this expectation was increased when I saw the impressive rules, which I think where a rare example of something powerful and characterful. Before I saw the model, there where a few images that popped into my mind when the name Storm Raven was mentioned such as the following:

A proper Raven (latin name Corvus corax, just thought people would find those two 40k references interesting):

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a97/cvife/Ravin_flying_2.jpg

the Raven from Star Trek:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a97/cvife/Raven_fore.jpg

A Klingon Bird of Prey (yeah, I like Star Trek, What of it?):

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a97/cvife/Klingon_Bird-of-Prey.jpg

And of course, no image of a Space Marine aircraft is complete without a sprinkling of Thunderhawk:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a97/cvife/thunderhawkstore-1.jpg

So after all that, I had a pretty cool image in my head.

Imagine my surprise (read: disgust) when they showed us the official model (sorry, I can't download a photo of this one, nor would I want that photo on my computer of Photobucket account):

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/...dId=prod900149a (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440160a&prodId=prod900149a)

So, let's discuss this model:

First, we'll get the good points out of the way:

- The mold quality is very nice:
Like all recent GW plastic kits, the molding is high quality, the lines are very sharp and it looks quite nice to put together.

- It comes with all the weapon options:
Well, that's kind of useful isn't it...

- It has a plastic servitor gunner:
It looks kind of ok, shame about the rest.

- It looks a bit like a MK1 land raider:
I'll leave it up to you guys to decide if that's a good thing

- It looks a bit like the starbug from red dwarf
Read the comment from above

Ok, so I'm out of good things to say about it, now on to the bad points:

- The turret:
aside from the servitor, the whole turret section is one of the most awful looking things I've ever seen, it doesn't look like it even belongs in 40k, hell, even the Orks would ignore it, no matter what guns it had, It's too tall and an odd shape, and then there's that thing behind the turret, I don't know what it's for, it's even taller then the turret and just looks silly.

- The hurricane bolters:
I don't know what it is, but the hurricane bolters just don't work here, compared to this part on other models, they look silly, and the worst thing is that it replaces the side doors, so if you take them it stops being wysiwyg, but i'll explain why that doesn't matter later on.

- The overall shape:
It looks like someone crashed a Valkyrie into a Double decker bus, and that TONKA reproduced the whole scene as their own scene.

- It has nowhere to put a dreadnought:
Plain and simple, I've looked over the whole sprue and there's nothing to show that it has any kind of grapple, so forget the hurricane bolters, it's not wysiwyg anyway.

- The rear landing gear:
it looks like it has chicken legs, that's all.

- It looks like a toy:
I know it is a toy, and you do have to suspend belief in order to take GW's models seriously, but this just looks stupid in every way. The Blood Angels are one of the scariest armies out there and they should have respectable looking vehicles.

- GW think it's worth 40:
need I say more?

So in conclusion I think this is the worst model GW has made since, since, well, I don't know, the old metal possessed perhaps... I't doesn't look respectable, It has all the comedy factor of the most funny Ork Trukk whilst being just as cool as a robin reliant and I'm pretty sure multiple Babies and a Panda where killed in it's production

My solution:

Load up on hydras / hive guard / predators / lootaz etc and force your opponent to take to travesty against modeling off the table nice and quickly.

Thanks for reading!

Zweischneid
20-01-2011, 14:04
Did you really need a new thread to beat that dead horse.

Don't like it, don't buy it. Simple.

Wishing
20-01-2011, 14:04
I'm not sure it warranted a new thread to say that you don't like the stormraven. I like it myself, and disagree with most of your points, since they are entirely subjective.

The Anarchist
20-01-2011, 14:10
each to their own i think is the best for this one.

Castigator
20-01-2011, 14:11
Imagine my surprise (read: disgust) when they showed us the official model (sorry, I can't download a photo of this one, nor would I want that photo on my computer of Photobucket account):

Fair minded indeed!

Don't feed the trolls.

cvife
20-01-2011, 14:22
I know all this sounded pessimistic and negative, but it was meant as a humorous look at this model.

I am aware that if I don't like it I don't have to buy it, Sorry if I offended, I did look at the model and it's sprues and I just couldn't find much to like about it.

Castigator
20-01-2011, 14:25
I know all this sounded pessimistic and negative, but it was meant as a humorous look at this model.

I am aware that if I don't like it I don't have to buy it, Sorry if I offended, I did look at the model and it's sprues and I just couldn't find much to like about it.

Than don't advertise it as "fair-minded model review", which is by your own words not your intent.

Gingerwerewolf
20-01-2011, 14:30
Im going to try to answer some of the points you've made with a little more detail, although I agree with the, "If you dont like it, dont buy it" attitude above.

I do like it but I can understand why people dont (the Turret on top and Airvent) but by the look of things they are dead easy to leave off and chuck a Razorback turret in place of.

GW even made it easy to get the other designs of Hurricane Bolters as you can order the Landraider Crusader / Redeemer upgrade Sprues off their Website and in that you get a twin linked Assault Cannon Turret too.

Yep its expensive but no more than a Landraider, whose role it is meant to replicate. My prediction of the future is sometime in Easter GW will round off the prices and Landraiders and their variants will be 41

GW doesnt charge by cost of products or production cost, they charge by a calculation of worth to an army, which is subjectively based upon points and upon how many you should have in an army.

This is why Terminators are more expensive than a Tactical Squad even though there is more plastic in a Tactical Squad Box.

I get the idea from your post that you were expecting a Plastic Thunderhawk.
When you expect so much, you can expect only to be dissapointed.

Ba'al Starslayer
20-01-2011, 14:35
Sounds like you were trying to be funny.... didn't work, did it? :D
This didn't need a whole thread just to allow you to express your annoyance (Read: hilarity) with the new Stormraven. Some like it. Some don't. Some play Templars and just don't care... :p

Godzooky
20-01-2011, 14:53
Maybe this thread should be renamed Everything That's Wrong With Warseer Posters. ;)

Anyway, I'm starting to warm a little more to the Blunderdork now I've gotten more used to the idea. I may pick one up for a small FT force I have in mind.

eyescrossed
20-01-2011, 15:05
It's a flying brick.

t-tauri
20-01-2011, 15:37
Thread closed. Duplicates existing threads. If you've a point to make then please try to use an existing thread rather than opening another.