PDA

View Full Version : Stanks are not invulnerable :)

Skyth
21-01-2011, 14:25
I just played a game last night against a friend of mine's Empire army. I was, of course, concerned about his Steam Tank. Fortunately I did have the D6 S10 hits if target fails an initiative test spell (Actually, I had all of little Waagh).

Well, turn one, I cast the spell and he Seal of Destruction's the spell...And promptly makes the 4+ roll to destroy the spell. So my thoughts are...How in the heck am I going to deal with it now?

Next turn, the block of night goblin archers with my level 4 squabbles and the big block of night goblin spear with a Night Goblin Lord and my level 2 Waagh into the flank of the Steam Tank on an animosity roll. Needless to say, I don't do any wounds to the tank. His turn, he squishes about 9 of my valiant gobbos and I pass the steadfast break test.

Third turn, I cast Gork'll fix it on the Tank. I do 4 wounds with my gobbos and he rolls 6, 6, 6, 5 for the saves. He looks all happy until I remind him that the 6's were 1's. he uses one steam point to fire the steam gun, hitting 5 gobbos in the unit fighting him and 10 gobbos in the archer unit. He almost rolls a yahtze of 6's to wound the archer unit. However, he only had 2 5's...So of the 15 models hit, he killed 2.

So I chipped away at it, with Gork'll fix it every turn and bottom of turn 5, I charge the archers into the rear of the tank, and Spider Riders into the other flank. One of the goblin units puts the final wound on the tank, destroying it.

He called it quits after that, as the only thing he had left on the table was a severely wounded unit of fleeing swordsmen and a single Flagellant that was fighting a unit of Boyz with my BSB and my General. He had managed to kill a Doom Diver, a Giant and an Orc Chariot.

sssk
21-01-2011, 15:15
I've seen units of gobbos destroy steam tanks a few times now... irritatingly, it's never my gobbos. Mine just bend over and wait for the inevitable impact.

Against stanks, the first little waaaagh spell is really rather good. Strength 2 doesn't matter, and it ignores the armour.....hang on, are stanks still immune to spells? I lose track.

Also there's the hilarious axe of "I'm a rune fang", which, if I remember correctly, auto wounds and ignores armour. Combine that with the stank being auto hit, and a savage orc warboss, combat goes:

Round 1, stank kills some menial troops - warboss does 5 wounds

Round 2, stank kills some menial troops - warboss kills stank.

Once again, if I've got that wrong and the runefang axe actually auto hits instead of auto wounds, then I'll get my coat....

This is what comes of anecdotes when you're bored at work and don't have an army book around.

Skyth
21-01-2011, 15:22
No, you're right. There is a runefang Axe. I perfer having my general have some protection rather than that though :)

I was just amused...It was a very orky game. I didn't even want to charge the Stank but was forced to by animosity.

I will say, Gork'll fix it is my all-time favorite spell though. I've made people fear the little Waagh more than the big Waagh ;)

Korraz
21-01-2011, 15:27
So, a regular model that can only build units of one model can be tarpitted into units AND be destroyed. Who would have thought that?
On other news...

Morhgoz
21-01-2011, 15:29
I hope they bring Ditto's Double Dooing Doo Dahs back in new book, then all fear little Waaagh!

tmarichards
21-01-2011, 15:58
This is why nobody takes Steam Tanks in a competitive environment- ignore the whingeing on here about it, it is just far too easy to deal with.

It's the Solland Runefang that they have isn't it?

danny-d-b
21-01-2011, 17:04
yes it is
and stanks are no longer immune to spells (they just auto pass all tests except inishative)

yes the S2 NSs spell could also kill the tank- if your good at rolling 6s

Caitsidhe
21-01-2011, 18:46
Eh. I wish they would release a new WE book and give us a bit wider range of magic so I have access to that spell. The Steamtank is devastating to us. :D

Jind_Singh
21-01-2011, 18:54
So, a regular model that can only build units of one model can be tarpitted into units AND be destroyed. Who would have thought that?
On other news...

Who would have thought we'd see the day when a Troll was immune to flaming attacks! By the clever placement of three words in his sig he's now immune to flaming attacks!

Genius! :D

Steam Tanks are not invincible but they are a pain to deal with - some players munch through them at will, while most bash their heads against the wall trying to deal with them.

Mork will fix it was a cunning use of the spell on the Stank, and I laughed when I heard how many sixes the Stank rolled - poor bugger!

Jind_Singh
21-01-2011, 18:57
Eh. I wish they would release a new WE book and give us a bit wider range of magic so I have access to that spell. The Steamtank is devastating to us. :D

Poor Wood Elves - took a pure Khorne Deamon army against my mate, he destroyed the infantry blocks, mauled my Fleshounds, but my 3 Heralds of Khorne, with their 1+ armour saves, savaged him - SAVAGED I say! The 3 heralds and the tatters of my force systematically destroyed his entire army - bar maybe 1 unit - it was so funny, yet painful, to watch.

And there weren't even any greater deamons for him to face, nor the special characters!

AM1640
21-01-2011, 19:01
There are many ways to get rid of the Stank.
No save weapons combined with lots of attacks are good but you still will probably need 6's to wound.
Any instant kill spell that requires an initiative test. The STank auto fails Init tests and is removed. For example Dwellers Below from the LoLife (This is very useful for WE players).
Dwarves have access to the MRoSkalf Blackhammer which still requires a 4+ to wound but the save modifier means the target won't get a save.
Cannons are great because the STank won't be impacting or grinding your troops.
Remember once you start wounding the STank, it becomes far less scary as it can't travel very far or shoot.

Korraz
21-01-2011, 19:05
I'm wearing the dragon helm too. 10 points well spent. :shifty:
Anyway, I just felt snarky after preaching this for so long. The Stank has become easier to deal with. Pit of Shades and Lore of Metal are favourites too. The power of the tank was tankshocking and thanks to steadfast, this is gone. Other than that, the damage output is...negligible. Sure, to a small unit of knights and the such it can be devastating, but any decently big unit can simply tarpit it.
No, what the real power of the tank is, is snaring your attention. If you start concentrating ressources on it, that might be better spent elsewhere, it is successful. Essentially, it has become a less dangerous Necron Monolith.

Can't Woodelves get Life? Or was it Beasts?

tmarichards
21-01-2011, 19:36
A level 4 can take either Life or Beasts. And a 1/6 chance of killing the tank automatically (by casting Dwellers on it) is better than no chance at all...

And don't forget one of the oldest WE tactics in the book- Tree-Singing forests in front of it.

theunwantedbeing
21-01-2011, 19:47
A level 4 can take either Life or Beasts. And a 1/6 chance of killing the tank automatically (by casting Dwellers on it) is better than no chance at all...

And don't forget one of the oldest WE tactics in the book- Tree-Singing forests in front of it.

Dwellers is one of the few spells that won't work on it.

For Beasts Magic
The Amber Spear can do a fair bit of damage though, 4+ to wound and then your doing it D6 wounds.
The Curse of Anraheir works well too, the Stank is a chariot and takes D6 wounds for a failed dangerous terrain test, 1/3 chance to deal it D6 wounds if it charges.
Sitting in a wood causes the same above test, but fails on a 1 not a 6.

As for Life magic
Awakening of the wood is the only thing that'll hurt it, Throne of Vines is handy for making its save less easy to pass.

The best magical weapons against it are those that ignore armour.
Wood elves do struggle against it though as they haven't got access to the more standard tools of removing it (purple sun).

Korraz
21-01-2011, 20:54
I might be missing something, but why wouldn't dwellers work?
Also, you forgot Feast of Crows. Which is horrible well forgotten, but for completeness' sake...

Caitsidhe
21-01-2011, 21:21
I might be missing something, but why wouldn't dwellers work?
Also, you forgot Feast of Crows. Which is horrible well forgotten, but for completeness' sake...

Because it passes all tests except initiative. Dwellers is a Strength test.

tmarichards
21-01-2011, 21:50
Damn... forgot that :/

Never mind, the Tree Sing bit is still sound.

Caitsidhe
21-01-2011, 22:13
Damn... forgot that :/

Never mind, the Tree Sing bit is still sound.

No... not really. :) Treesinging in the new rules is unreliable at best. It requires you to use casting dice whether you use Treemen or Wizards. It is easily countered. The forests don't move very far and certainly not fast enough to intercept the Stank. :) There is also the problem that it appears the Steam Tank CANNOT enter dangerous terrain. While it was changed to a Chariot, the part about it being unable to enter any but a certain type of terrain seems to remain (or at least it did at my last read). This would mean that you could indeed hide people behind forests and the Steam Tank would have to go around, but you could never use one to HOPE to have it fail a dangerous terrain roll.

I have tried. It is near impossible to block out the Stank with forests unless enough of them (and large enough) already existed in the first place. Trying to move them with Treesinging is a a waste of time. Even with the ultimate Treesing list I was unable to slow it down. All I did was waste away my own casting dice trying.

Korraz
21-01-2011, 22:24
Because it passes all tests except initiative. Dwellers is a Strength test.

I thought this was removed?
Now, it's been some time I've read the Tank rules and my book isn't around, but I somehow had in my head that the Errata removed the immunity, since it replaced all the rules. Looking it up, the german version says "replace" and the english "change", but I'm not quite sure about the placement of the Immunity rule.

danny-d-b
21-01-2011, 22:42
nope- there 2 sperate rules

stanks were compleatly immune to magic (1 rule) and auto passed all caracteristic test spet innishative (2nd rule)

they removed the immune to magic rule

Korraz
21-01-2011, 22:47
Huh. That will teach me for reading translations. "Replace" my ass.

Jericho
21-01-2011, 23:31
What's wrong with your ass? Does it have a crack in it? I hear that's not covered by the warranty.

catbarf
22-01-2011, 05:08
As an Ogre player, I find STanks relatively easy to deal with. Slam a unit of 8 Ironguts into it and see how it likes 24 S6 attacks. There's a rather high chance it'll blow up in one turn.

DaemonReign
22-01-2011, 07:31
Combine that with the stank being auto hit

It's a chariot now. I think you need to Roll to hit it. So yer Warboss would require a few more rounds of chopping away at it.. :)

catbarf
23-01-2011, 05:27
It's a chariot now. I think you need to Roll to hit it. So yer Warboss would require a few more rounds of chopping away at it.. :)

Its special rules say you auto-hit.

freddieyu
23-01-2011, 06:54
Its special rules say you auto-hit.

Agreed, it's a chariot which gets autohit...

As it is a chariot, that means lore of beast spells versus it are +1 to cast....not that this fact makes it practical in actual gameplay...