PDA

View Full Version : Dark Angels - The Return?

MasterGideon
21-01-2011, 23:30
So its been a week since the earth shattering reversal of GW decisions of FAQ etc, what have all the Dark Angel Followers been doing? How have peoples gaming groups re-acted? have people already "switched back" from other SM armies.

I know I have been deep in the FAQ/Codex thinking of new list to try, and I feel that the changes brought in by just a fraction of updates to wargear has really changed the DA make up

for instance my Throne of Skull list has gone from this:

Belial w/LC.

Elite:

Dreadnought w/Assault Cannon, Heavy Flamer & Extra Armour.

Troops

Deathwing Command Squad (2xLC, 3xTH/SS, 1xCyclone Missile Launcher, Standard Bearer)
5 Man Tactical Squad sgt w/Bolt Pistol/Chain Sword, 1x Melta Gun & Razorback w/Twin Linked Heavy Bolters.
5 Man Tactical Squad sgt w/Bolt Pistol/Chain Sword, 1x Melta Gun & Razorback w/Twin Linked Heavy Bolters.

Fast Attack

Land Speeder w/Multi Melta & Heavy Flamer.
Land Speeder w/Multi Melta & Heavy Flamer.

Heavy Support

Land Raider Crusader w/Storm Bolter & Multi-Melta.
Predator w/Autocannon and Sponson Lascannons.
Predator w/Autocannon and Sponson Lascannons.

1500Pts dead on

To this:

Belial w/TH/SS.

Troops

Deathwing Command Squad (1xLC, 3xTH/SS,1XSB/PW, 1xCyclone Missile Launcher, Apothecary)

5 Man Tactical Squad sgt w/Bolt Pistol/Power Fist, 1x Melta Gun & Razorback w/Twin Linked Heavy Bolters.

Fast Attack

Land Speeder w/Multi Melta & TML.

Heavy Support

Land Raider Crusader w/Extra Armour
Vindicator w/Hunter Killer

1500 pts dead on

As you can see the anti-tank, tactical marines and maneuverability has shot up, and now DA tactical marines are acutally not bad when fitted into a combined force, what are people seeing in DA armys?

MasterGideon

Starchild
22-01-2011, 04:23
DA have far superior Techmarines, with 2W they last longer than the C:SM equivalent, plus each servitor can have a heavy weapon. Too, DA Techies don't count towards the FOC.

Why Mat Ultraward felt the need to make an unpopular unit even more unappealing, I'll never know. :rolleyes:

Another DA unit I use more is Company Vets; compared to Sternguard they're a real bargain at 5 pts less per model, even when equipped with storm bolters... makes a nice counter attack unit.

With the FAQ enhancements, DA players can take these little perks and capitalize on them. For example, with the upgraded Typhoon LSs there is a lot of pressure taken off the heavy support section, freeing up points for other things, etc etc

MasterGideon
22-01-2011, 10:20
That indeed true, also to comment on the DA Vets, a idea i had since the faq is to have a 5 man vet squad, equiped with 4 combi-plasma, Plasman Cannon, and 5 Storm Shields come in at 225 points.

Now this unit can be used in 2 ways, one to storm objectives(rhino or drop pod put the unit price then goes up) until troop arrive, or hold its own postition and cover an objetive the firepower this unit can turn out is absolute, and has a decent survival rate now with storm shield.

I for one dont feel that if you are playing a "tactical" marine Dark Angel army, you no longer fighting an up hill battle, while DA are slighly over priced, we can still pull some tricks that not many opponents will be expecting.

MasterGideon

Grand Master Raziel
22-01-2011, 22:56
My army hasn't changed much. I was playing a Sammael-led, Bike-heavy combined arms force, and that hasn't changed. I was already mostly done a Bike-Apothecary when I became aware of the FAQ (along with a Bike Librarian, but that's another story). I am going to toss a THSS Termie into my Deathwing Squad instead of the LC one, but that's about the only change I'm making. Might start using some Typhoons, though. I have a couple TMLs kicking around on Ravenwing sprues plus some Land Speeders gathering dust. Now that the Typhoon isn't pointless anymore, I might give them a try.

Archibald_TK
23-01-2011, 08:31
So its been a week since the earth shattering reversal of GW decisions of FAQ etc, what have all the Dark Angel Followers been doing? How have peoples gaming groups re-acted? have people already "switched back" from other SM armies.
Much to my pleasure it didn't take long for DA players to actually get word that the new FAQ was released. We started to see the first DA players coming back at the shop to buy new miniatures at the end of the week. So far I've sold mainly Assault Terminators to old DA players so I guess Deathwing takes the cake. I expect to see the same things with Land Speeders soon.

I was saying at the start of the week to our GW rep (or whatever you call him in English) that I was expecting a direct impact in term of sales after the release of the FAQ and that's exactly what happened. Let's hope GW UK takes notice and understand that a few minutes of work on a pdf can actually result in income for the company. If they do then maybe we will see Xenos FAQ soon with more major rules changes. And maybe on bright day in the future, thanks to a new shiny Tyranids FAQ, I'll be able to sell that last damned Pyrovore box that has been gathering dust for months...

On a personal level our DA player has switched to "happy happy" mode while the other players have switched to "we are doomed" mode. He was playing Double Wing, he switched to Deathwing + Predators months ago. He will kick Azrael out and add a fourth Terminator squad soon so that his 1500 list will look like: Belial + 4x Deathwing (SS/SH + CML) + 3x Autolas Pred. Maybe remove a CML from a squad and put instead a Chainfist + Flamer so that he can turn one of the Predator into 2 Typhoon with MM or something like that.

MasterGideon
23-01-2011, 10:45
Yes it true that FAQ changes like this can (I think it be proven by all the DA buying Land Speeders/Terminators/whirlwind and Land Raiders) can make money for GW, I hope the realise that showing game support and listening to the customers is a new direction

I mean I am 28 and been play since I was 7 I have can not recall ever once something like this happening before.

I for one am thinking of building a Tactical/Veterans army once I have counted all my marines again, and gone throught my bitz box to find all the spare Storm Shield to build a nastly "Storm Shield" Veteran Should in Drop, no-one should be expecting that haha!

MasterGideon

Bymis
23-01-2011, 13:31
The new DA looks awesome got some pretty cool potential with storm shields now there the same as the space marine codex giving termies some pretty awesome stats with invun saves.

MasterGideon
23-01-2011, 13:41
I just done some building with the Dark Angel Veterans, and found they can pull this little, but expensive trick off!

5 Veterans
3xCombi-Flamers
1x Melta Gun
1xLC (Twin)
5x Storm Shields (Yes we can, the FAQ states that Combat Shield and Storm Shields are in addition to wargear taken :D )

All for a grade total of 245Pts, add in a Drop Pod and a Chaplain and these guys will cause a lot of problems!

I am going to build myself a Greenwing Army around these guy, see how well they preform.

MasterGideon

MistaGav
23-01-2011, 13:56
Mines pretty much the same as it was before the codex...that is building and painting models while not playing any games :/

farfromsam
23-01-2011, 14:50
definatly, aside from doing my best avoid overpriced things, like drop pods, and so on im givin the green/white/black guys a revamping.

MasterGideon
23-01-2011, 15:36
Im thinking that while tactical squads are over priced as well as razorbacks/drop pods, but we can still take a special weapon in 5man teams+transport which combined with the new FAQ makes Tripple wing worth playing with.

MasterGideon

M4V3R!CK
23-01-2011, 16:10
Ok, so having read the faq, I'm glad they finally brought the DA into the fold with other space marine armies. I've had a long standing rivalry with the DA, being a SW player after all, so I'm happy to hear that Death Wing will, once again, be able to compete.

But everyone is acting like "Oh my deathwing are unstoppable I'ma win EEEEVERYTIME!"

Let me just get something off my chest here.

you still only get 5 Termies in a squad. You still need Belial. Your still not getting more than 30 termies in a game. SS/TH termies still strike AFTER my s5 power weapons.

Am I extatic that Dark Angels are competitive? Of course!
Am I affraid of what over powered rediculousness they'll bring to the table? Nope.

besides, once DA get their next codex, the price of their Typhoon Missile launchers and so forth will fall in line.

anyways, enough of my ranting about little kiddies over reacting about sudden about faces from GW. Welcome back to 40k DA players! Can't wait to march against you in the comming tournaments!

P.S. Neither DA or SW get Storm Ravens, so at least we can ostrasize the BA players :evilgrin:

EDIT: I'd just like to point out that I'm not saying YOU guys are over reacting. But this has been the trend at my LGG

MasterGideon
23-01-2011, 16:31
Ok, so having read the faq, I'm glad they finally brought the DA into the fold with other space marine armies. I've had a long standing rivalry with the DA, being a SW player after all, so I'm happy to hear that Death Wing will, once again, be able to compete.

But everyone is acting like "Oh my deathwing are unstoppable I'ma win EEEEVERYTIME!"

Let me just get something off my chest here.

you still only get 5 Termies in a squad. You still need Belial. Your still not getting more than 30 termies in a game. SS/TH termies still strike AFTER my s5 power weapons.

Am I extatic that Dark Angels are competitive? Of course!
Am I affraid of what over powered rediculousness they'll bring to the table? Nope.

besides, once DA get their next codex, the price of their Typhoon Missile launchers and so forth will fall in line.

anyways, enough of my ranting about little kiddies over reacting about sudden about faces from GW. Welcome back to 40k DA players! Can't wait to march against you in the comming tournaments!

P.S. Neither DA or SW get Storm Ravens, so at least we can ostrasize the BA players :evilgrin:

EDIT: I'd just like to point out that I'm not saying YOU guys are over reacting. But this has been the trend at my LGG

S5 Power Weapons? Space Wolves I take you play? well we can trump you with your S5 PW with Old school Thunder Hammers (strike after All I1 attack if wounded by a DA/BT Thunder Hammer, not Reduced to I1 like the rule book Thunder Hammer:)

But Yes Deathwing became very good if used correctly and with a balance forced.

MasterGideon

M4V3R!CK
23-01-2011, 16:55
S5 Power Weapons? Space Wolves I take you play? well we can trump you with your S5 PW with Old school Thunder Hammers (strike after All I1 attack if wounded by a DA/BT Thunder Hammer, not Reduced to I1 like the rule book Thunder Hammer:)

But Yes Deathwing became very good if used correctly and with a balance forced.

MasterGideon

true, but you still require to WOUND said model. So my 3+ invul save will keep me from hitting at negative initiative, and if you do get the wound, I wont have to worry about the initiative modifier anymore. ;)

and hence why I love the fact that DA are in the fold. Good banter and awesome DADW lists. I cant wait to see DA back in tourneys across the boards.

Also makes you real good at murdering Monsterous Creatures, something I've found lacking in many Marine chapters.

Ronin_eX
23-01-2011, 19:32
Hmm, not seeing the advantage of taking frost weapons and storm shields compared to the DA's free TH/SS combo. You are paying 58 points per model (290 for a whole squad!) for the privilege of killing .55 Deathwing a turn.

Meanwhile the Deathwing merely stay at their base points cost per model (with access to a cheaper CML) for a squad costing nothing more than normal or 235 with a CML (the Wolf Guard squad would be 320 with a CML, ouch). And our kill rate against Wolf Guard termies armed as above is .69 which means we have a slight edge while costing drastically less.

Of course add in the need for said Wolf Guard squad to purchase some kind of transport to get in close and you are looking at a drastically more pricey squad.

Wolf Guard are only really worth it when you go shooty with most squads and take one assault-heavy squad led by Logan because they pay a mint for assault upgrades past a powerfist/frost blade. Meanwhile you shooty squads (4xSB/PW, 1xAC/PW) is a steal at 195 points, but will likely be crushed by a dedicated assault terminator unit (but at 195 points you at least have a lot more where they came from).

Honestly considering the effect Belial has on the army (and how bloody cheap he is at his base cost if you go TH/SS) assault-heavy Deathwing is now a prime build because we edge out a similar vanilla build due to our robust command options, scoring terminators and no need for minimum troops beyond simply having more terminators.

Wolf Guard now make one of the best shooty terminator squads in the game because they can shave of a lot of needless points, meanwhile Deathwing make some of the best assault terminators because in an assault configuration they have access to cheap CMLs and some nice boosts from DWA and Belial's command upgrades (giving a single squad FNP and +1 attack is pretty nasty when combined with TH/SS).

But honestly, while your FW/SS termies would slow DW down a bit they'd be doing so without any real advantage while costing more points than the unit they would be attempting to tar pit. Each unit of those Wolf Guard you have gives him a 55 point advantage and that can add up quickly. And if you give another terminator army a point advantage in a termie vs. termie fight then you've already placed yourself on bad footing because you are both just as tough as the other and he has more guys to hurt you with.

Wolf Guard and Deathwing now do vastly different things, where the Deathwing used to be trying to focus on trying to be as shooty as possible they now get a lot more out of being assault heavy and piling on CMLs. Wolf Guard remain the shooting kings of the terminator world that is punished heavily for taking too much in the way of assault weaponry.

M4V3R!CK
23-01-2011, 20:43
Hmm, not seeing the advantage of taking frost weapons and storm shields compared to the DA's free TH/SS combo. You are paying 58 points per model (290 for a whole squad!) for the privilege of killing .55 Deathwing a turn.

Meanwhile the Deathwing merely stay at their base points cost per model (with access to a cheaper CML) for a squad costing nothing more than normal or 235 with a CML (the Wolf Guard squad would be 320 with a CML, ouch). And our kill rate against Wolf Guard termies armed as above is .69 which means we have a slight edge while costing drastically less.

Of course add in the need for said Wolf Guard squad to purchase some kind of transport to get in close and you are looking at a drastically more pricey squad.

Wolf Guard are only really worth it when you go shooty with most squads and take one assault-heavy squad led by Logan because they pay a mint for assault upgrades past a powerfist/frost blade. Meanwhile you shooty squads (4xSB/PW, 1xAC/PW) is a steal at 195 points, but will likely be crushed by a dedicated assault terminator unit (but at 195 points you at least have a lot more where they came from).

Honestly considering the effect Belial has on the army (and how bloody cheap he is at his base cost if you go TH/SS) assault-heavy Deathwing is now a prime build because we edge out a similar vanilla build due to our robust command options, scoring terminators and no need for minimum troops beyond simply having more terminators.

Wolf Guard now make one of the best shooty terminator squads in the game because they can shave of a lot of needless points, meanwhile Deathwing make some of the best assault terminators because in an assault configuration they have access to cheap CMLs and some nice boosts from DWA and Belial's command upgrades (giving a single squad FNP and +1 attack is pretty nasty when combined with TH/SS).

But honestly, while your FW/SS termies would slow DW down a bit they'd be doing so without any real advantage while costing more points than the unit they would be attempting to tar pit. Each unit of those Wolf Guard you have gives him a 55 point advantage and that can add up quickly. And if you give another terminator army a point advantage in a termie vs. termie fight then you've already placed yourself on bad footing because you are both just as tough as the other and he has more guys to hurt you with.

Wolf Guard and Deathwing now do vastly different things, where the Deathwing used to be trying to focus on trying to be as shooty as possible they now get a lot more out of being assault heavy and piling on CMLs. Wolf Guard remain the shooting kings of the terminator world that is punished heavily for taking too much in the way of assault weaponry.

Wow, way to theory hammer it up, bud. last time I checked I never actually posted a list, I was just playing banter.

Tell you what, when I post up a list, I'll let you theorize my potential win ratio. but until then, this thread is about the RETURN of DA to competitive play, not about their "ratio" over SW termies. I was just making a fun argument, you took it well out of proportion.

In any case, I continue to remain positive that DA are back in full force. So I honestly can't wait to see DA take to the tables again. Gives the game character and a decent rotation of top contendors.

farfromsam
23-01-2011, 20:56
Hey Ronin_eX your math teacher would be proud, but I'm not sure about your parents.

btw M4V3R!CK I've never seen a wolf beat a Lion before.

M4V3R!CK
23-01-2011, 21:30
btw M4V3R!CK I've never seen a wolf beat a Lion before.

Never single handedly, but keep in mind we hunt in packs ;)

Raibaru
23-01-2011, 22:28
Never single handedly, but keep in mind we hunt in packs ;)

So do lions...

Archibald_TK
23-01-2011, 22:50
So do lions...
Heresy. Everybody knows that it's the lionesses that do all of the job while the lions spend their day sitting in front of the TV and drinking beer instead of looking for a real job in order to pay the... wait, I may be mixing unrelated things...

MasterGideon
23-01-2011, 23:09
lol I do love the banter between the Space Wolves/Dark Angel Factions haha.

But at the end of the day, I feel that while yes only Ravenwing/Deathwing got a boon boast, I think triple wing also became a valued built if done correctly and depending on pts value, at 2000pts more Ravenwing/Greenwing List will appear, while at 1500Pts it be Deathwing/Greenwing + Typhhons will start making a appearance.

MasterGideon

shabbadoo
24-01-2011, 00:29
I normally play 100% Greenwing, so I spent quite a bit of time analyzing the differences between C: SM cots and C: DA costs, and how I could build my Greenwing army with a whole extra unit in it if I used C: SM. But I never used C: SM, and instead the Greenwing slept within the bowels of the Rock like their Primarch. Early last year I got off my butt and finally built up four units of Deathwing Terminators, a full Ravenwing Attack Squadron, a Sammael Land Speeder, and Belial. I really just wanted to get at lest one unit of DW and RW ready to use as auxiliaries for my Greenwing, but decided I would go a bit farther than that just to try out small, elite force. I even played some small games with them as part of a club project to get us off our butts and work on something. For the the most part I spent my time further building up and playing a very different green 40K army. ;)

Late last year a friend of mine asked me what I would really like to work on in 2011, and after some thought I said, "I would really like to work on my Dark Angels. It's been long time since I have done anything with them." Now, I was thinking mainly about the Greenwing models when I said that(I have an entire Battle Company built and waiting for primer/paint), but I also thought of the Deathwing and Ravenwing models that I did some work on for last year's 40K club project.

A few weeks later the new FAQ hit, and while improvements were of course made specifically to DW and RW, they didn't affect how I had equipped my DW or RW units at all. I already had two storm shields in every unit, cyclones in three of five units, and a Typhoon in my force; the latter two options mainly to have some long-rang capability to go along with of my two Land Raiders and two Dreadnoughts. So, Dw and DW+RW don't change for me at all, but just get a little bit better and equitable to other Chapters' similar units. My Greenwing has been affected just a bit, mainly as I almost always field a Whirlwind, but otherwise they still remain overly expensive by about 85 points. That's an extra Whirlwind or Predator Destructor I am missing compared to a similar list written using C: SM. But I'll suck it up and play C: DA Greenwing anyways in 2011.

BISION
24-01-2011, 01:28
personaly, as a long time wolf player, and friend a long time da player, im pretty happy hes finaly a bit of a challenge again =P that being said i really am happy for the da as much as i dont like a thing about them..at least they have less to complain about =D good luck fellas and welcome to 5th!

-oh and a note on the wolfguard vs. deathwing...wolfguard arnt designed to be kitted or really treated in the same way as other termi squads, they are pointed more for distibution of squad memebers and equipment. instead of having every model with termi armour, TH/SS some will have TH, some will have SS, some will be in PA some in TA ect ect. if i had my codex close id toss up a comparable combat equivelent for DW TH/SS termies, and the squad will look alot diffrent. cant say one is really better than the other, they just aproch the same problems diffrent ways, a attitude reflected in the playstyles of both armies. anyway looking forward to the continuation of the old gudge matches =D

shabbadoo
24-01-2011, 01:51
More like "Welcome to 4.5E!", but we'll take it. ;)

Grand Master Raziel
24-01-2011, 02:03
you still only get 5 Termies in a squad. You still need Belial. Your still not getting more than 30 termies in a game.

Well...you can get 45, actually. You can still field Termies in your Elite slots if you field Belial. It would be about a 3000pt army, but you could do it.

So do lions...

Oh, no! Lions wouldn't be caught dead in packs! They hunt in prides! :D

Ronin_eX
24-01-2011, 05:15
Wow, way to theory hammer it up, bud. last time I checked I never actually posted a list, I was just playing banter.

Tell you what, when I post up a list, I'll let you theorize my potential win ratio. but until then, this thread is about the RETURN of DA to competitive play, not about their "ratio" over SW termies. I was just making a fun argument, you took it well out of proportion.

In any case, I continue to remain positive that DA are back in full force. So I honestly can't wait to see DA take to the tables again. Gives the game character and a decent rotation of top contendors.

Out of proportion? Sorry I wrote too much for ya bud but no one forced you to read it. No need to get defensive about it though, just banter after all. ;)

Just saying that the frost blade/stormshield Wolf Guard aren't exactly a match for the new premier Deathwing unit. That I said it with some back up evidence is no reason to get miffed. Since when was it a crime to write more than a few lines. This isn't exactly twitter and I expect people on a message board aren't too squeamish about a lot of text. If you don't want to read much I hear 4chan is better for that kind of thing. :p

pinion
24-01-2011, 06:08
lol I do love the banter between the Space Wolves/Dark Angel Factions haha.

But at the end of the day, I feel that while yes only Ravenwing/Deathwing got a boon boast, I think triple wing also became a valued built if done correctly and depending on pts value, at 2000pts more Ravenwing/Greenwing List will appear, while at 1500Pts it be Deathwing/Greenwing + Typhhons will start making a appearance.

MasterGideon

Very much so...

I love how the animosity between the wolves and dark angels continues into list building as well.

farfromsam
24-01-2011, 21:27
Played against wolves yesterday, mark that one up for The First Legion. Anyone else in love with the vet squad even more so now?

dblaz3r
25-01-2011, 00:38
What was your load out for them and what marvelous feats did these warriors accomplish?

As a crapish player I'm always on the look out for some tips to help me notch up a victory against the wolves. Sadly it has been many a game since my last victory, none since their new codex was released :(.

Captain Ventris
25-01-2011, 02:47
Last I checked, the Lions also have ravens to help pick off any straggling wolves and to ensure the lions actually make it to the battle safely.

Ravening Ho!!!

farfromsam
25-01-2011, 02:56
lol well im not awesome player either, but I ran

Belial- 130

1 DW termi squads (4 TH&SS 1 LC + Cyclone missiles) with Apothecary & Banner - 290
4 DW termi squads (4 TH&SS 1 LC + Cyclone missiles) - 235x4

2 full scout squads with bolters- PW+Meltabomb - 165x2

1 Veteran Squad x6 (4 w/ Plasmagun/SS, 1 w/2LC, )-250
-droppod-50

He ran

Ragnar
Wolfguy? (idk generic HQ? No invul)

scout squad x7 plasma load out

Wolfcav x4- 2 SS, 1 PW, 1 normal

3 squads of greyhunters in rhinos w/ plasma loadouts

2 vidicators

1 Longfangs w/ Missles

It was DoW deployment, 5 objectives. He won roll off and elected to go second, and kept every thing in reserves. I nded with troops on 2 obj's one contested by a rhino, the other was all mine. 3++, 4++ covers saved the day.

dblaz3r
25-01-2011, 08:03
1 Veteran Squad x6 (4 w/ Plasmagun/SS, 1 w/2LC, )-250
-droppod-50

Do you mean 5 vets with 4 having plasma pistols? As far as I can see we can still only get 1 plasma gun.

I wish I could face a SW force like that, all I ever get to face is Grimnar, his termies and whatever else my brother decides he'd like to thrash me with :).

shabbadoo
25-01-2011, 12:04
Do you mean 5 vets with 4 having plasma pistols? As far as I can see we can still only get 1 plasma gun.

And you are correct. That can be bolstered by everyone else taking combi-plasmas or plasma pistols though. That may not be what was done though. The special weapons options are bullet point 5. The FAQ only alters bullet points 2-4. People might be needing to learn how to count dots more betterer. ;)

Bartali
25-01-2011, 12:25
Just saying that the frost blade/stormshield Wolf Guard aren't exactly a match for the new premier Deathwing unit.

Indeed... SW should be looking at stuff mounted on an ickle doggy for assault anyway ;)

farfromsam
25-01-2011, 14:27
lol yikes... even though i did only shoot once this is still embarressing...

well can yall answer another question I've had? since I'm taking Belial, can i still take a command squad? it says "...may include one command squad for each independent charector it includes" and I haven't seen anything that says the apoth+standard bearer is a command squad.

dblaz3r
25-01-2011, 19:34
Yes, you are correct.

lol yikes... even though i did only shoot once this is still embarressing...

I wouldn't beat yourself up about it everyone makes mistakes. If your wolf player is anything like mine you'll be getting enough of a ribbing about it as it is :).