PDA

View Full Version : I Play Space Marines Because...

Shnerg
22-01-2011, 08:55
Hey. I own (SM-wise) a Lamenters army, a Dark Angels army, a Space Wolves army, a Black Templars army and an Ultramarines army. I'm curious to the reasons SM players chose their armies. I chose mine because:

Lamenters - Yellow is my favourite colour, and I can make a an awesome list in yellow, with Mephiston in it, so yeah.

Dark Angels - I adore the fluff, and I have always liked the idea of having a few elite warriors. (I do DoubleWing)

Space Wolves - For JotWW mainly, but also because I love the idea of the Grey Hunters squads, where each member is equal.

Black Templars - I love a bit of risk, and BT are the Marines who give that to me.

Ultramarines - First, can I clarify, I HATE THE FLUFF, AND CRUDDACE FOR THAT MATTER, MORE THAN ANYTHING! I only play this army because I have 0 green stuff skills, and they have the best models (IMHO): (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1610028a_99060101460_UltramarinesChapterChampion_ 873x627.jpg) and it just makes it convenient to play them.

How about my fellow warseers?

Jind_Singh
22-01-2011, 09:19
1) Fluff - first and foremost why I love the Space Marine concept so much
2) Models - they have simple yet amazing models - even the humble Tactical Marine looks amazing
3) Play style - I love their flexibility on the battlefield - a single Marine can tip the balance of game at any given time, might need some jammy dice rolls to do it but there is always that chance!

Shnerg
22-01-2011, 09:28
(Off topic Jind, is your avatar a female blood angel who's succommed to the 'Red Thirst'?)

dragonet111
22-01-2011, 10:06
I choose play style but I need to add models and fluff:)

I play Blood Angels since 3ed, I choose marines because of the stories, I tried Dark Angels, Black Templars and finally Blood Angels. Instantly love the play style and especially the insane marines of the Death Company.

Now I still love them. I play my own successor chapter and I love the new minis.

My only grip with them is the captain, I wish I could give him artificer armour, encarmine blade, .... I know it's not that powerful but it's characterful. At present BA captains are bland and flavourless, they are just über veteran sergeant.

S_A_T_S
22-01-2011, 10:17
I got the 2nd Ed boxed game for either my 10th or 11th birthday, and the marines holding out against massive hordes of orks just seemed really cool, so I painted them as blood angels, cos that was what was on the cover art and that was also cool. Then for the next birthday a friend gave me Angels of Death, and that's when I fell in love with the fluff. I love the duality and tragic nature of the Blood Angels, but particularly the artistic side of them - even though they are bred and train for war, they have great respect for art, beauty and craftsmanship.

On the flip side, the main reason I got chaos marines as a second army was because Black Legion are so damned easy to paint (black spray, gold trim, done)

NixonAsADaemonPrince
22-01-2011, 10:39
My first SM army was Chaos, I got in to them because for one they had Space Marines themselves, who are just such a cool concept, and this combined with kick ass Daemons made it irresistible.

Then there are my Space Wolves, I like the Werewolf theme (don't worry, I have a sworn hatred against the Twilight saga) and just their colour scheme.

Salamanders because they have Vulkan, and like to incinerate or melt people to death. What could be cooler?

Imperial Fists because they have a rather cool colour scheme and I like to paint yellow.

Dark Aly
22-01-2011, 10:50
vanilla chapter of my creation= the models and the elite/but not too much playstyle appeals to me

ravenwing= all about the playstyle and landspeeders

deathwing= all about the models, termies/dreads/land raiders

combining deathwing and ravening gives me access to all the coolest stuff in a force I can use

Chem-Dog
22-01-2011, 12:05
I played Blood Angels as my first army, way back when they were orange and didn't have any special rules so that's why I'm slowly building a new BA army.
But I switched to Guard in RT era and never reallly looked back, so SM's are really a secondary concern for me.

I've dabbled with Blood Angels every time they've got a Codex, most seriously in 2nd Ed but somewhere in 3rd I put the BA's on the backburner to persue one of my more...long reaching hobby ambitions, to construct a battleforce representing portions of each of the three legions that fought in the final battle for Terra.
Trusting that one day the BA's would be dealt with slightly more affectionately than they were in their 3rd Ed Pamphlettedex (I honestly don't blame Gav for it either :)) I decided painting yellow was a good idea and I embarked upon a modelling project of epic proportions and so my very slowly assembled Imperial Fists army has been shuffling it's way towards completion.
I've still got models from the splash released army deal box that came out when the SM codex (the one with traits) was brought out that have yet to see a paint brush. I've got something like 40 terminators, Marines including some from the BfM (which I bought exclusively for the crashed aquilla) and AoBR sets make up the almost full battle Company (a few more rhinos and a Devestator squad to go) a ton of scouts, a squad of bikers and at last count 8 captains (not including Lysander, or the adopted yellow verion of Pedro). I've also got a 10 man Command Squad which is no longer an option a couple of dreadnoughts. There's a Predator I need to assemble somewhere and possibly one or two other bits I've forgotten.

And THEN I have to work out how to paint WHITE....:'(

Shnerg
22-01-2011, 13:58
It does scare me a little that most of the votes are for 'Fluff'.

I have an extract from C:SM and I have put it in layman's terms.

As fate would have it, the Ultramarines were therefore
largely untouched by the fighting of the Horus Heresy.
What he really means is:

OMG. My Ultramareenz iz sooo l33t. Mahoosive spayse chavs won't hirt dem cuz dey iz so kewl.

Do you get my point?

Mini77
22-01-2011, 14:01
I play Space Marines just to annoy the people who 'hate' Space Marines.

rabblerouser
22-01-2011, 14:08
I started with chaos space marines back in 2nd because I LOVED the metal models. Those old plague marines with the gas masks were awesome! Unfortunately the new plastics are crap IMO. They're basically standard mk7 marines with spikes and arrows stuck on. This is the reason I stopped collecting for a while. I got back into it about a year and a half ago when I saw what a bargain black reach was. I painted those marines in the ultramarine scheme because I like the blue and white scheme. I switched to blood angels shortly after seeing the space hulk minis just because I liked them so much.

Korraz
22-01-2011, 14:14
"All of the above", but I picked fluff.

I love the different playstiles a Marine-Army allows me and I LOVE the whole "Fast and Furious" thing the Blood Angels have going.

I have a soft spot for the whole Baroque/Tragedy thing.

Space Marines hit something in my brain that says "Aaaaw yay, let's get some of these, no matter what they do."

And a BA Successor Chapter was my very first army.

DCLXVI
22-01-2011, 14:19
I too voted fluff. I loved the sinister gothic background of the Dark Angels when Codex: Angels of Death first came out and it's what's drawn me back to them now (before the FAQ, I might add).
Same as the Eldar - WD 127 blew me away!

Why should it scare you? If it appeals to you or you can identify with it, then go for it. Better that than flitting between chapters when the newest badass codex comes out IMHO.

theJ
22-01-2011, 14:30
Where's the "they came in the starter set and I'm too greedy to buy an entire new set of models" options? Cus that'd be the reason why there's some marines on my desk :P

Nezalhualixtlan
22-01-2011, 14:50
I'm curious to the reasons SM players chose their armies.

How about my fellow warseers?

Tyranids are and will probably always be my first and favorite. But I'm moving into a combined SM / IG Apoc force (distinct 2k pts lists from different Marine and IG Codexes, single list from single codex to keep games legal). Why?

1) Models. They look fantastic I think, near the entire range. They also get great attention from GW continuously in a way a lot of other armies don't get in terms of expanded range. I don't see that changing.

2) Fluff. There's just something about the heroic struggle of mankind against the galaxy that I like, and the Space Marines are the heroes of heroes. Plus, I want a "good guy" foil to my ravenous horde of scything death with big nasty pointy teeth. I'm not sold on any one particular chapter, though they are all generally cool, but they make a great jumping off point to create my own with elements of the rest mixed in. Plus I like the idea of a recently emerged group that's been time delayed in the warp still prosecuting the Great Crusade in the name of the Imperial Truth (Science & Reason), against both the forces of disorder and xenos, but also the domestic threat of superstition and barbarism the Imperium has devolved into. Plus that gives me the excuse to utilize some of those awesome ancient FW mark armors for my force.

3) Playstyle. There's something cool about the stalwart vehicles, the elite heroes, and the devastating weaponry they employ. I also want to be able to enjoy a wide range of list types, something I can do if I want an assault company list out of the BA codex, or an all bike list out of the Codex Marines, or an all Terminator 1st Company out of SW. There's just so many options, and GW keeps cranking out Marine Codexes with list variations to keep things novel. I know that approach annoys the hell out of some purists who *feel* you should pick a chapter and stick with it, but my sub lists won't be jumping codexes, so the only difference is that I'll have a unified Apoc army look when I am finished, rather than an assembly of radically different colors.

kardar233
22-01-2011, 14:55
Where's the "Because there's nothing else" option? :D

Hicks
22-01-2011, 15:54
Because of the fluff and looks. For me the marines are what makes 40K... well 40K. At first I tought that humans that could physically rivalise with the most horrible of creatures in the universe was a really cool and novel idea.

Then I learned of their origins, customs and role in 40K and I was an instant fan. I don't care if people cry about the fact that everybody plays marines (it doesn't affect my gaming group), I love them and always will.

Crimson Templar
22-01-2011, 16:06
First army - I picked up the Ultramarines Tactical Squad back in second edition. I was really drawn to the blue armor on the box. I have never played any other SM army......GO BLUE!!!

Jind_Singh
22-01-2011, 17:09
(Off topic Jind, is your avatar a female blood angel who's succommed to the 'Red Thirst'?)

He he - whatever floats your boat Shnerg! :D

DAGabriel
22-01-2011, 17:14
Fluff, until recently there was no other reason to stick to my Dark Angels!
For the Lion!

Inquisitor Gabriel Ashe
22-01-2011, 17:17
Models: Dead sexy Storm Raven! (I play BAs and GKs)

AlphariusOmegon20
22-01-2011, 17:24
All of the Above, but I picked Models.

Fluff: I like the Salamander fluff, starting with Armageddon. I never had SM before reading Codex: Armageddon.

Playstyle: It's somewhat similar to the Chaos marines I was already used to. Only recently has the playstyle of Chaos changed.

Models: Xavier was my first SM model. I fell in love the Sallies paint scheme the first time I saw it. It was quite different from any other paint scheme I had seen before ( and none thrilled me to any extent before that.)

That being said, Chaos was my first army (and always will be.) Alpha Legion anyone?

insectum7
22-01-2011, 17:49
I like every option up there too. But I picked models, because it was originally the release of the Ultramarine Dreadnought in 2nd ed. that sold me on 40K.

And then the Terminators after that

then the Assault troopers

then the Land Raider

then it was too late...

Bonzai
22-01-2011, 19:48
I didn't vote. My Space Marines are not my primary army.

Why do I play them? Because Assault on Black was such a bargain, that it made more sense to buy it, than the big rule book. So once I had them, I figured I'd use them for a 500 point list. It's grown from there.

nedius
22-01-2011, 21:04
I have SMs because I know they'll always be ok. GW will never let them be a flop. And they're quite pricey points wise, so they're not too pricey money wise.

Radium
22-01-2011, 21:08
e: None of the above.
I don't particularly care for space marine fluff (quite the opposite in fact: every marine codex released over the last couple of years has been more ridiculous than the last, and BL isn't exactly helping in that regard). The play style isn't all that important to me. I'm not especially attracted to the models (except for the Sanguinor, that's a really cool model). And I threw my first army out years ago.
I just wanted a quick army to keep myself busy when I didn't feel like playing Eldar.

Macrocosm93
22-01-2011, 22:33

What he really means is:

Do you get my point?

Not really

Damien 1427
22-01-2011, 22:36
Models.

In that I had a ton of stuff left over from multiple Black Reach boxes that I used to build up my orks. It gives me something to paint.

Aiestz
22-01-2011, 22:53
Mostly because of the fluff and I love their style of warfare too.

Also because I want to do a true chaos army, not just chaos space marines but renegades and daemons too.

zantis
23-01-2011, 07:10
my reasons for playing blood angels are:
1) Fast vehicles
2) the ability to take 6 predators
3) 5 man assault squads with meltaguns (tac squads should get that too IMO)
4) red
5) the opportunity to deepstike a land raider

Baaltor
23-01-2011, 07:48
I think Space Marine is a pretty cool guy. He kills aliens and doesnt afraid of anything.

Kurisu313
23-01-2011, 08:23

What he really means is:

Do you get my point?

No, I don't.

You put up a post saying that you play your marines mainly because you like the fluff, but berate others for the same reasons, for the fact that you hate Ultramarine fluff, even though no one has indicated that they play ultramarines.

The fluff of sm is very interesting and cool and draws people into it. Why should people who started playing sm years and years ago for the good fluff be berated for fluff from the newest codex?

And your example is rubbish. The ultramarines were spared the worst of the heresy because they were drawn away from the fighting by an enemies (successful) gambit. How does that reflect well on the ultramarines?

I voted fluff. I love the psycho indoctrinated brotherhoods of warrior-monks.

Lothlanathorian
23-01-2011, 08:46
I picked the 'first army' option, which should really be a vote for 'all of the above'.

I got into 40K at the tail end of 2nd Edition and loved the Space Marine fluff and models and have stuck with them ever since. I've played almost every flavor of Marines, but always come back to BA or Vanilla. I use a DIY paint scheme and have been building a new BA army.

Shnerg
23-01-2011, 09:44
No, I don't.

You put up a post saying that you play your marines mainly because you like the fluff, but berate others for the same reasons, for the fact that you hate Ultramarine fluff, even though no one has indicated that they play ultramarines.

The fluff of sm is very interesting and cool and draws people into it. Why should people who started playing sm years and years ago for the good fluff be berated for fluff from the newest codex?

And your example is rubbish. The ultramarines were spared the worst of the heresy because they were drawn away from the fighting by an enemies (successful) gambit. How does that reflect well on the ultramarines?

I voted fluff. I love the psycho indoctrinated brotherhoods of warrior-monks.

I don't play Ultramarines because of the fluff. I play them because they have the nice models. No other reasons. I play other SM armies for other reasons, and fluff is one of them, but not for my UM. It's not the SM fluff I dislike, it's the Ultramarine fluff.

I do agree, I could have found a better example, but the Codex is crammed with, what I like to describe as Ultramarines s**t Nutella, so I could only read so much before my eyes bled.

Lothlanathorian
23-01-2011, 10:20
Well, the new Codices aren't the only Codices. As has been mentioned, for some of us, it is the older, superior fluff that we find appealing.

The Ape
23-01-2011, 10:26
Ultramarines because a) when I played space crusade the Christmas it came out, at my cousins house, I was the blue squad and b)I didn't want to paint them crimson fists like the picture on the box when I picked up a box of the beaky marines a while later.

They have been an ongoing WIP army ever since.

Hrw-Amen
23-01-2011, 17:53
Because they have big punchy, flying fists of death!

Nomrana Est
23-01-2011, 23:33
I voted for the models, although I would have liked an "all of the above" option, although the fluff for the UM has certainly degenerated with the new Codex.

Still, the models still are fantastic, even after a good few years, and the breadth of variety and interchangability that's possible with the Vanilla 'dex usually has me reaching for that before my Tau one, and also because you can make them as easy or as hard to paint as you so wish, and still make them look cool.

I've already got a big SM army, and I feel that it's only going to get bigger.

M4V3R!CK
23-01-2011, 23:46
My very first army was actually Scythes of the Emperor. Back in the day when I first played, I saw this one marine, with black and yellow armor, and i imediately thought "That. That is for me"

then I turned 9.

At that point I was a little more focused on school. I went into my local Gaming store and asked them if they had a copy of the space marine codex? they said "Sorry kid, but we just sold the last one."

I was dissapointed. I looked around and figured something would do as a replacement. I flipped through the blood angels codex and it just seemed kinda "meh" to me. I found a copy of the Dark Angels codex, and I was tempted to get that. But then I looked over and saw the Space Marine codex that defines me as a player today.

I saw the 3ed Space Wolves codex.

The stories they had, the characters they could field and the over all feel of the army was just too awesome. I mean, a bunch of space vikings, going about kicking ass and taking names? And these guys didn't take no **** from anyone! I remember reading in a white dwarf ages ago, when grey knights made their first re-appearance, the actual fluff story about Logan Grimnar and the war for Armageddon. They had Logan, a guard sargent named "Sargent Koheler" and that super bad ass grey knight captain whose name escapes me.

I need to actually go back and find that issue. Its alive and kicking somewhere.

Anyways, for me, it was the fact that I could carve a story for my Wolf Lords, have my guys look awesome, and they played great on the table, so I'd say all three.

But, if it hadn't been for that random day, and had I not picked up the DA codex to see what was behind it, I would never have found my first army.

baphomael
23-01-2011, 23:53
Why do I play marines? (albeit, not exclusively, I am a filthy, filthy, wargames hussy who cant stay faithful to enjoying the pleasures of just a single army :p)

Because the Horus Heresy is awesome. Even before the novels, I've had an on-off hot-cold fling with a naughty little Sons of Horus army. Although, with IA:9&10 I've been sorely tempted by an Astral Claws tyrant's legion - that Huron model is quite tasty. Plus, it gives me an excuse to use these Roman themed guardsmen I've been working on (hey, tyrant's legion has got a lot of roman-esque references, like tribunes, centurions etc...only natural).

Either way, my student loan is going to cry.

So, I guess thats a Fluff vote for me, though models also has a lot to do with it.