PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy an army because of free minis?

Harry
23-01-2011, 08:06
I read another thread here about buying an army if they made the rules free.

My answer was:

Free rules ... no.
Free minis... Yes!

I have started many armies because of a bit of free stuff. (Or very cheap stuff)

Example 1: Boxed sets. I started High Elves and Goblins in 4th edition because of the cheap archers and spearmen. Lizardmen in 5th because of the cheap Saurus and skinks.

Example 2: Sales. I bought a load of Bretonnians and Dwarves in the sales they used to hold in the early 90s I then set out to collect huge armies of both as I had such a good start.

Example 3: Bargain boxes. In the mid 90s they sold through mail order some 'mystery boxes' of stuff for each army.
They cost 40 BUT had a guaranteed minimum of 80 worth of stuff in them. (I think they were shifting some stuff in blisters because of a change to the packaging?)
I bought boxes for the remaining 3 armies I had not started collecting at that time. (and probably wouldn't have!)
The stuff in the box gave me a kick start to collecting 3 new armies.

All of these resulted in me spending a lot of money I would not have spent without the kick start and a LOT more money than the value of the free stuff (or cheap) stuff that GW gave away.

Since then I have continued to buy stuff they release for all my armies. As I collect all the fantasy armies there is always something new coming along for one of my armies .... and I keep spending with GW. Without the 'encouragement' to start more armies it is possible I would only have collected a couple of armies and be waiting years for something new for one of my armies, only spending with GW from time to time.

Has GW forgotten the value of a 'lost leader' or a sale?

Would free/cheap minis to get you started make you buy a whole new army?

Putty
23-01-2011, 08:24

Hell yeah!

Baggers
23-01-2011, 08:36
Yes, I have a large number of Lord of the Rings Miniatures because I have a complete set of Battle Games in Middle Earth. Though the magazine was good value and a lot of models I already had. It helped give me the incentive to collect more.

I remember when Warhammer 6th came out. One of my local GW stores gave me a free Empire Cannon sprue and three of the old army books, (Empire, Vampire Counts and Dogs of War) all three of which I went on to play with at various levels.

lorelorn
23-01-2011, 09:37
Yes, I also picked up cheap armies in those sales, Beastmen and Slaanesh Daemons were two sale armies. Since the end of sales I've bought precisely one Warhammer army (Vampire Counts). And that army was mainly funded by selling two I'd previously bought. That's one Warhammer army in a decade. There won't be any more.

This compares with buying six beforehand (Chaos, Bretonnians, Lizardmen, Dwarfs, plus the two above) from 1994 to 2001.

The BGiME magazine also helped me get into the Lord of the Rings game, the quality of that game kept me there, and the more recent release of War of the Ring saw my collection size explode, and I'm still trying to catch up painting (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274509) the buying frenzy that the game triggered. I've eased back on the buying now as the price has risen.

Quality rules and models, with easy introduction and affordable scale up. It still works, GW. Just like it did in the 90s.

Tarax
23-01-2011, 09:44
I am not going to buy a whole new army, just because I got some models free/cheap. To me, the most important reason to start a new army is the looks/background.
There are some armies I haven't started because of the high price. If I could get some models free/cheap it would encourage me to buy more.

As it is now, with little money to spend, I'm working on a couple of armies I already have models for. If I'm finished with these I will start looking at other armies I also have models for, but weren't on my priority list.
So, there is little chance for me to start a new army. But if you insist, I am happy to take some free models off of you. :p

Baggers
23-01-2011, 09:44
The BGiME magazine also helped me get into the Lord of the Rings game, the quality of that game kept me there, and the more recent release of War of the Ring saw my collection size explode, and I'm still trying to catch up painting (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274509) the buying frenzy that the game triggered. I've eased back on the buying now as the price has risen.

I'll agree with you. When I played War of the Ring, and I am afraid to say it did not capture my interest to much, a lot of the minis I used was because I had brought all 90 something issues of Battle Games in Middle Earth.

Harvey
23-01-2011, 10:09
I'm a sucker for a deal, even when it's not particularly good. I bought a lot of Mantic skeletons last Christmas when they first came out because of the deal offered. In fact Mantic's whole selling strategy appeals to me; the regular offering of bulk discounts heavily publicised by email newsletters continually attracts my attention.

I'm surprised GW doesn't advertise battalions more in that light - "buy these units and get the cavalry free!". I suppose it would conflict with their "buy this new and shiny model" marketing strategy.

Little Joe
23-01-2011, 10:33
The only "free" models GW gave me were five dwarf miners when the new sprue came out. Unfortunately for them I already collected dwarfs, but was very happy with the sprue nevertheless.
I had to sell off the models from IoB as soon as I saw them, dangerous stuff. Would have me collecting two new armies while strugling to keep support up for my older ones. I do not think I would have been able to resist If the box had been of the price level of BfSP when it came out. But GW just had to raise prices, which made the decision easier for me at the time.

I honestly can't see them giving something away for free now. Just look at the WD, how long has it been since it had a model or an interresting supplement. You didn't even get some for WFB 8th like we had before with 7th or 40k with a new edition.

But I sure would not mind if they made good value battalion boxes (with content you can use at a good discount) or the two very decent army deals they had for dwarfs and O&G. They need a good discount system, make it mail order only to keep it in house and there you go.

mrtn
23-01-2011, 10:40
I did start my fourth army (nurglings, counts as VS) thanks to picking up a load of models when buying a Death Guard army, and that lead to me buying more models for the army.

Harry
23-01-2011, 10:46
Forgot about the LotR stuff.

Example 4: LotR stuff with Battle Games in Middle Earth. That got me collecting a couple of armies for a game I wouldn't have even touched.

I'm a sucker for a deal, even when it's not particularly good. I bought a lot of Mantic skeletons last Christmas when they first came out because of the deal offered. In fact Mantic's whole selling strategy appeals to me; the regular offering of bulk discounts heavily publicised by email newsletters continually attracts my attention.

I'm surprised GW doesn't advertise battalions more in that light - "buy these units and get the cavalry free!". I suppose it would conflict with their "buy this new and shiny model" marketing strategy.

Yes that would work well.
The Battalions are already good value.
If they cycled through them offering them at a bargain price ... even one a month would still take a couple of years to get through Fantasy and 40K.
I am sure lots of folks would take the opportunity to buy a box they wouldn't have done other wise.
They would be hooked and spending on a new army.

There must be enough profit in a battalion box to offer a decent discount.

Do it as a mail order only and you know folks will spend a bit more on that direct only stuff they want whilst they are about it.

Tower_Of_The_Stars
23-01-2011, 11:29
I've actually bought two armies because of FREE RULES - Empire and Space Marines. Free in the sense that I was lent their army books/codexes indefinitely by friends that were no longer in need of them.

I read the rules and the fluff, look at the units, write a few army lists, a theme develops and next thing I know I'm in the shop!

I think though Harry you make a good point in general. Be it rules or minis or both, if GW were to provide some of these for free, then it would get more people into collecting and in general people already collecting, collecting more.

EmperorNorton
23-01-2011, 11:41
Battle for Skull Pass resulted in me ending up with both a Dwarf and O&G army, so cheap minis are definitely an incentive for me.

Ozorik
23-01-2011, 11:51
While free rules would make me more likely to start an army, free miniatures probably won't (well unless the entire army was free :))

A handful of free miniatures just isnt enough to entice me to play an army on its own, I need to know how the army will work and if it will fit my play style.

Significantly reduced prices is another matter entirely.

Thud
23-01-2011, 12:22
My LGS had the Dark Elves release box (the one with the army book and all the new units) for 50% off. This was about a year ago. I now have a Dark Elves army with plans for expansion.

...and still haven't played a single game with it, don't know the rules for Fantasy, don't own the rule book and haven't read the rule book. ;)

Does that answer your question?

Born Again
23-01-2011, 12:27
I wouldn't start an entire army because I got a few free bits. However, if it was an army that I knew I would be collecting at some point (ie; I know that at some point in the future I will almost certainly be doing a Daemons army), and they were doing one of the old deals like the "mystery box" you mentioned, then I might buy the stuff early and keep it sitting around till I was rady to start, just to get a nice boost to my first purchase.

The argument is kind of void as I like just about every army in 40k. However, if I played fantasy I wouldn't start a High Elf army just because I got stuff free... I'm just not drawn to them.

scarletsquig
23-01-2011, 14:11
Hmm... last year I got a couple of free mantic ghouls in the post from wayland games. Impressive sculpts.

I now have about 450 mantic models, about 250 of those are undead. The whole lot cost 130, so I'm definitely a sucker for a good deal.

Also have Rohan and Uruk-Hai armies, mostly thanks to the early releases of battle games in middle earth having lots of them at much cheaper than GW prices.

I'm currently going with Bretonnians because the models are still high-quality 6th edition sculpts that are quite cheap if you get the battalion... it's infantry-heavy battalion is good now that 8th edition has arrived, whereas it was rubbish in 6th/7th.

Wanted to remake my Empire but the poor quality state troops and the high pricing killed that idea. I'd have been willing to buy a whole army of greatswords and convert state troops from those if the pricing was more sensible... I was all :D when I saw the sprue, and then all :( a month later when I saw the price.

sigur
23-01-2011, 14:17
Would work better for me than with free army books at least.

I technically play Empire in WHFB because I got loads of stuff basically for free last summer. But when it comes to actually paying.... well, I got the armies I like already and the ones I would like to have on top of that I probably will never get because I still have loads of unpainted stuff of my own (not even mentioning commission work there ;) ) and the minis I would need for those armies usually are OOP. (Can't think of any armies I'd really like to have apart from maybe 4th edition O&G, MAYBE 4th edition Undead, and a Genestealer Cult, maybe some Epic armies).

IF I got those things, or asolid point from where to star of for free or incredibly cheap and of course I never say no to free stuff but I don't really need it at this point I think.*

*) opinion will vary when confronted with actually free stuff. :D

Zond
23-01-2011, 14:22
If any company other than GW offered the deal I would definetely bite. As GW is so prolific and their business model so well known, I'd be wary about recieving free or discount miniatures as a part of a set, just in case they swiftly went out of date or became useless overnight thanks to an update.

Zink
23-01-2011, 16:00
Battle for Skull Pass resulted in me ending up with both a Dwarf and O&G army, so cheap minis are definitely an incentive for me.

My wife was interested in painting some dwarves and we looked at this. I figured I could sell the goblins and keep the dwarves for her. The box was cheap enough and I fell in love with the goblins so I didn't sell them. Now goblins are my #2 army that get played a lot compared to some of my older ones. The dwarves have gone from being a few odds and ends minis that I got over the years to a huge army. I play Armies of Arcana now so we've even bought and converted a bunch of minis to make units that Warhammer never had for both of these. I think BFSP was the last thing I bought from GW as it was a great deal.

So yes, cheap or free minis can lead to me buying more than I would have. I have a compulsion to buy large armies with many options once I break down and get the first ones. If I can stay away from that first step I'm good ;)

Free rules may influence me, especially now that I'm married with children and my gaming budget is tight. I collect various free rules I find on the net to try out instead of spending hundreds of dollars replacing books I already have older versions of. Sometimes those free excerpts and teasers have lead to my buying the rules. But minis are the big attraction. I won't by an ugly mini just because I like how it plays in the rules. I will by a pretty mini and try to fit it into my games.

yabbadabba
23-01-2011, 17:50
Would free/cheap minis to get you started make you buy a whole new army? In answer to this and the title question - of course not. My bits box is full of free minis and bits, none of which have inspired me to new purchases. Now cheap minis are something else, but there has to be a line between price and quality, leaning strngly towards the latter than the former. But this then leads onto:
Has GW forgotten the value of a 'lost leader' or a sale? A sale is a ridiculous idea. GWs minis are not seasonal, and with the better stock management they have in place overstocks should almost be a thing of the past. Therefore there is no need for a sale. GWs Ltd Ed policy reflects this desire not to have slow selling stock hanging around. As is the idea of a loss leader - there is just no need again because GW should not need to make a loss just to get some promotion or increases in sales/footfall. However well packaged/bundled deals are something GW could and should pursue. In this I see more chance of someone (especially in GWs core market, with added LOLZ of course) getting not only more minis, but armies they might not have got before.

This is an area where GW could very seriously do some good. I appreciate that there are issues with their Indy accts etc, but if the balance could be agreed then there is an opportunity through their direct service to really challenge gamers and other companies in terms of delivering value for money. The deals can be carefully designed so as to ensure that purchases do not close collecting. However knowing GW one of their concerns (and it is a totally legitimate one) is the second hand market, and the exploitation of such a deal by more "entrepreneurial" individuals.

I'd be wary about recieving free or discount miniatures as a part of a set, just in case they swiftly went out of date or became useless overnight thanks to an update. Why should they? I don't see any of my GW minis or rulesets as useless, update or not. I know not everyone can be othered to put the effort into some small adaptations and recruitment to keep their favourite army/rules lists going, but seriously there is no need for anything to go out of date. Especially in a socially open gaming environment.

Bob5000
23-01-2011, 18:05
Not on its own .

Would need to be interested in the army in the first place - GW neednt bother in my case as I neither need nor want more armies from them .
Some other companies might draw me in though

ooglatjama
23-01-2011, 18:24
Most definitely

Max Jet
23-01-2011, 19:11
I never got any free minis from Mantic or from Reaper Miniatures, yet I have more of each of them right now, than I have from GW.
I never got any free minis from Tamyia or from Revell, yet I have more from each of them than from GW.
I never got any free Tanks from Trumpeter or from Zvezda, yet I have more from them than from GW.
I never got any free miniatures from Perry miniatures, yet I have more from them than from GW.

Simply because buying all of them still turned out to be cheaper, than getting the GW miniatures at 25% discount and on the top half of them as a gift.
I got about 300 old Fantasy models as a gift, I got Orks, Battle for skull pass Dwarves and Goblins, more Orks, Skeletons, Chaos Warriors, Space Marines and and and from various sources without paying a penny, yet I always made clear, that this would lead to nothing, since even rounding up the forces would cost me more than starting an army or skirmish force from any other source.

No, free miniatures don't affect me at all.
Affordable, quality products however get me hooked.

Ronin[XiC]
23-01-2011, 20:39
Can I have your O&G than? :)

Etienne de Beaugard
23-01-2011, 21:45
Probably not. First, the free minis would have to be for a system that I played, and second, I would need enough free minis to make a basic playable force.

rodmillard
23-01-2011, 22:17
No, free miniatures don't affect me at all.
Affordable, quality products however get me hooked.

I wouldn't have known about the quality of Mantic's minis without the free ghouls I received in the mail - that single free sprue gave me the impetus to start an undead army (something I had wanted to do for a while, but been put off by the technically excellent but aesthetically horrible minis produced by GW). Collecting that mostly-mantic army subsequently got me into Kings of War, so Mantic's giveaway not only got me to buy an army but also to play their game system.

Max Jet
23-01-2011, 23:03
;5262624']Can I have your O&G than? :)

We can talk about it in the trading forum, as long as you didn't mean for free. I can still sell those GW minies, you know?

I wouldn't have known about the quality of Mantic's minis without the free ghouls I received in the mail

This is a very good point, however would you have bought some if they were 3 times as expensive? I am sure the free mini was somehow necessary, but would you have bought more if they were too expensive or the quality unsatisfying?

Grimstonefire
23-01-2011, 23:07
It would depend on whether it was a random free model, an exclusive one, or buying X amount to get Y free.

I think the GW armies are (mostly) very different to each other in how the models look (space marines aside), so even if I were given say a random free Tyranid model it would not make me want to go out and buy an army as I don't like the aesthetics.

If they had a range of models that were free and only available from the website (or in store ordering) once you had spent over a certain amount, or some kind of Skullz system again for building up points, I might be tempted to buy more of that army.

Say for instance it was an awesome Vampire Count and I mostly collect Skaven and Dwarfs. I might get it and a skellies unit for him to look even more awesome in.

Overall though I'd say that a reduced rate for an army would make me much more likely to go out and spend than a few free models. GW don't do anything at all to encourage multiple purchases.

violenceha
24-01-2011, 05:44
I always buy stuff when Maelstrom have a sale, lots of stuff. If it's not for armies i have, it's for armies i'll do "one day".

I also like buying minis off ebay that i'd always wanted and have found cheap.

These cheap purchases then lead to both expensive GW and Forge World purchases as i add to the "army".

The free minis with White Dwarf were an excuse to paint something different, and also resulted in purchases by me.

Angelwing
24-01-2011, 08:08
Freebies have in the past lead to extra purchases.
However, good deals are more common and successful ways to get me to spend money.
The recent apoc boxsets where pretty good. I bought an emperors talon sentinel set as the saving was so good.
The deals they used to have in the back of WD were good too. They were related either to the battle report or an article and usually had a regiment or character for free included in the overall cost.
I rang mail order (twas before the internet...!) to buy the 2nd ed necron deal. The chap on the other end said the deal had ended, but when I said I wanted to buy two, he went off to speak with the manager, came back and let me buy them.
Not long after the 3rd ed book got released and I bought a load of the new stuff too.

So yes, good deals can tempt me into a new army. These days however, the GW stuff is so expensive it has to be a hell of a deal. I've declined to buy quite a bit of stuff now, even with the 15 - 20 percent discount offered by online dealers.

frozenwastes
24-01-2011, 08:33
A sale is a ridiculous idea. GWs minis are not seasonal, and with the better stock management they have in place overstocks should almost be a thing of the past. Therefore there is no need for a sale.

Sales (as in the profession of selling to people) is all about emotions. Sales (as in lowered prices for a limited time) can give some people a positive emotional experience at the prospect of "getting a good deal."

Selling on the "getting a good deal" emotional angle is a tried and true business practice. But so is customer retention, not cannibalizing your distributors/independent retailers with your own operations, and having a high level of quality present in every way a customer experiences your product. GW neglects those things too, so I guess it's not surprising that they don't do sales either.

yabbadabba
24-01-2011, 10:15
Sales (as in the profession of selling to people) is all about emotions. Sales (as in lowered prices for a limited time) can give some people a positive emotional experience at the prospect of "getting a good deal."
Selling on the "getting a good deal" emotional angle is a tried and true business practice. But so is customer retention, not cannibalizing your distributors/independent retailers with your own operations, and having a high level of quality present in every way a customer experiences your product. GW neglects those things too, so I guess it's not surprising that they don't do sales either. Hmm must be "Frozenwastes targets Yabba" day. You have taken this out of context FW, I am sure you understand that? You can get a "good deal" without needing a "sale" in the traditional retail understanding of that word.
But let me ask you a different question. If you had just paid full RRP for a product that the next week went on sale at 50% off, how would you feel? Would you be like the many customers I have met over the years, getting a refund just so you can try and get the product cheaper? Feel a little cheated or gutted? Did it suddenly just devalue that product for you, even a little?
These are all things that happen to customers when they see that product they had bought recently at full RRP go on sale. And none of them are good emotions to promote in customers. Sales are great promotional tools but need to be used carefully so as not to hack off your customers, or change their shopping habits. GW is a very different animal to every other wargames company out there, so not even that comparison is helpful in these circumstances.
For GW - Sales, no. Targeted promotions, yes. Big difference.

Nephilim of Sin
24-01-2011, 15:54
Hmm. I remember when they had the Trollboss's Bargain Basement on their old site (with drop-down menus...man, I feel old).

I won't tell you how much money I wasted spent, but due to their grab bag specials, I ended up buying miniatures for multiple armies. Every week, when things would change, I would end up buying at least something, simply because it was a good deal.

Then there was Skulz, which coincided with the grab bags, making me spend even more money, since I was getting loot as well.

Then there was the one time I bought a White Dwarf subscription, simply because a.) I bought the magazine occasionally, and b.) I could get about $30 in bitz, which meant that my Arkhan the Black cost half as much.

So yes, deals equals purchases for me. Funnily enough, I actually found an old $3 coupon that came from their Dragon Magazine promotion. Not only did they give you a coupon, but they also gave you a Chaos Warrior.

Yeah, I bought way to much stuff. Much more than I would have if they didn't have a sale going on...

Hypaspist
24-01-2011, 16:10
I am also a sucker for a deal...

Free Mini's would definitely get me interested, as would a more widepsread use of the Apoc Style box-deals they released for a limited time.

The only issue of course, is if they took this route, I would inevitably buy more and I'd need a Hobby room as big and as cool as Harry's :eek:

Sureshot05
24-01-2011, 17:01
I read the initial question and would have loved to say yes, but the real answer is definitely no sadly. Previous armies that I have got for cheap (such as High Elves, Orcs, Skaven and Orks) that I have had no interest in I have just kept for a bit, before admitting that I have no interest in them and then selling them off via ebay.

I have bought stuff such as bulk deals on infantry or vehicles (which were offered during apoc) but tend to avoid the battalions as I'm rarely after the mixed boxes. I do prefer just simply discounts for buying more in bulk of the same thing, which is necessary for many units. One of the areas I do tend to note which has affected my warhammer purchases more than the 40k ones is that in order to field a unit I tend to need many more purchases than I do in 40k (though some units are now heading that way). If I feel that I am not going to be able to field the unit effectively then it immediately becomes a modellers purchase, rather than a gaming purchase, and that can kill a lot of items before I am interested.

Prime examples for me of units which whilst I would like from a gaming perspective, but have just shot out of the window are Flagellants, Greatswords, and more states troops. When I think that to build a 30 man Greatsword unit I have to spend over 60, it just kills the idea. Instead, I either go else where, or think I'd rather save the money for something else. This is not to say it is unique to Warhammer, similar things have happened when I looked at Sternguard in 40k for example.

Modellers purchases for me have to be interesting models that I have a lot of love for, so for example, I bought a single Dark Eldar squad with raider as I love the kits, but am not going to buy anymore as I don't really intend on doing an DE army at the current price point.

The army I have bought the most for last year was Chaos Daemons, as I got a good deal on the metal horrors (in bulk) on ebay and now own 50 of the blighters (which I have almost finished painting...) along with a few other Daemons that I have picked up along the way.

I would think that GW should learn a little from there competitors and start offering better deals for bigger units, as then people might be willing to spend more. It does not bode well when you can buy a box set (such as ten greatswords) and you can't really field it on the table (minimum unit size does not equal fun to field).

SilentCivilian
24-01-2011, 18:09
I have been given incomplete armies for Orcs and Goblins, Skaven and High Elves. I now have all 3 as complete armies. So yes free minis would encourage me to buy more models.

As for free rules, i also have forces for Mordheim and Necromunda both of which are free rules sets. I could have pulled models from my armies for them but where would the fun be in that. I am currently looking into starting a VC army based on the free Ghoul i got from Mantic.

Short answer i am a sucker when presented with a freebie. All the classic models GW are releasing just now could see me parting with my hard earned cash as i have a special place for the nostalgia they create in me.

Haravikk
24-01-2011, 18:22
I suppose the answer for me is yes, as I'm starting Warriors of Chaos, Empire and Dark Elves, and in all three cases because I have a couple of models that I got "just because", and decided that I'd build up armies for them.

tezdal
24-01-2011, 23:21
I've ordered from ground zero games multiple times because they always throw in awesome freebies

TheMav80
25-01-2011, 01:51
Not really, no.

Even assuming, say I got a box of Tactical Marines for free. Going with standard GW prices that is still a lot of money to get up to a 1500 point army and higher.

If I was planning on doing that army anyway, it might convince me to start I suppose. Just getting some free Eldar wouldn't make me start an Eldar army though, as I have no interest in making one anyway.

Codsticker
25-01-2011, 05:44

This past summer I bought a bunch of Warlord Games Celts and ECW boxsets because of their "Buy 3 Get One Free" sale (that, combined with their free world wide shipping offer, was too good to pass up).

Darsc Zacal
25-01-2011, 06:13
Free mini's? Not necessarily. A good/great deal on the start of an army new to me? Very probably. It's worked on me a few times in the past so far.

About 4 years ago GW Canada held some online auctions for different army packages that they had made up. The very first army they put up for auction was an Orc and Goblin one valued at about $450 regular retail. I had long thought about starting one, but never acted on it, so I put in a bid on what I was willing to pay. I got the army for $160. I've slowly been adding to it ever since.

The other examples would be from Mantic, simply because I liked the style of their armies, and their introductory offers were an even better value than their already affordable prices.

Llew
25-01-2011, 06:41
Good deals are a bigger incentive than free miniatures. However, I must admit that I had no plans to start a Mantic undead army. However, I got a really, really early test sprue sent out to me, and it hooked me and I began collecting. I liked undead, but just didn't have any plans to collect until I saw how good theirs were.

So in one instance, free minis did get me to buy an army. Still, good prices are a better way to get me than a freebie or one-shot overall.

Korraz
25-01-2011, 09:59
Free stuff? Probably not.
Cheaper? Hell yes. Hell. Yes. The only thing keeping me from starting Sisters or Grey Knights is the price. And I doubt that will change when the new boxes come out, looking at the other Metal-Plastic conversions and the prices.

Cheaper Stuff and Deals, that would make me blow a lot of money on it. The only reason Is started Night Goblins was BFSP, and I have still the dwarfs around and will probably start playing them. Remember Apocalypse? And it's awesome deals? Buckets of tanks and spawns and stuff? That years was one of the best years ever for GW for a reason. People yearn for something. Every time the local GW holds an auction, to get rid of old stuff, the shop BURSTS with people. I once got myself 10 of the old metal temple guard for 10 bucks and I would have started Lizardmen if I would have got one or two additional boxes cheap.

I really can't see the problem with "GW stopped sales/deals because everyone stopped buying at the regular price and only wated for those." Of course there will be some people that do that, but even more will start an army in the first place and then buy more over the year. Especially if the basic price is lowered.
Holding Sales for clearing the stocks = Bad idea, GW stopped doing this because they organized better.
Holding Sales to attract customers and simulate "service" = Good idea.

I am only speaking for myself, but I for one would do a lot more GW stuff if would get more value for my money. And I mean over-all more, because I wouldn't have to think "Oh, wow, that stuff...7 bucks for one plastic terminator is *********** expensive."

Earthbeard
26-01-2011, 13:11
@ Free stuff - really depends on the aethetics and fluff for me, while I'll never refuse free stuff, whether I chose to expand, goes not off cost so much as like for the army/gang/squad/list etc.

Of course If things are cheaper, then Of course I'd buy more, I used to buy a lot more than I do now. Now I tend to buy less and often utilise ebay or similar places to get second hand or even cheaper items, meaning GW in this scenario does get a lot less direct money from me.

With the Death of DDM from WoTC too, that means wizards now will be getting 0 from me each month, unlike in the 3.0/3.5 days, in which I would buy every release (I'm, like most gamers a completist at heart). Instead PAIZO get all my D&D cash instead :P

The Problem I see is that, does a cheaper price necessarily mean an increase in sales? That is the tricky question.

Grimstonefire
26-01-2011, 15:45
Korraz raises a good point really, if GW want people to start whole armies they should put more emphasis on the battalion boxes as a way to get people in. Either through greater value for money or with free stuff.

Perhaps that's where the emphasis could be on free stuff?

Buy a battalion box and get an exclusive (metal) character model for free (perhaps a new one for each army that can only be gotten through this deal). Available for standard customers only, not for indy stores or discounters.

It would encourage more people to pay full RRP and shop at the GW site for these things.

I'd definitely be interested in this sort of deal if the free model was good, and I was starting a new army. They could include a redeemable code in the box you can phone up for if your store runs out of them.

yabbadabba
26-01-2011, 15:52
Korraz raises a good point really, if GW want people to start whole armies they should put more emphasis on the battalion boxes as a way to get people in. Either through greater value for money or with free stuff.

Buy a battalion box and get an exclusive (metal) character model for free (perhaps a new one for each army that can only be gotten through this deal). Available for standard customers only, not for indy stores or discounters.

It would encourage more people to pay full RRP and shop at the GW site for these things. This is why I question people who insist on a price dropsale as a way of solving their sales issues. There are other promotions that GW could try which would avoid them "devaluing" their stock and causing additional add on effects. GW can focus on better deals and offers to test the water first, before embarking on such a risky strategy.

Max Jet
26-01-2011, 15:59
This is why I question people who insist on a price dropsale as a way of solving their sales issues. There are other promotions that GW could try which would avoid them "devaluing" their stock and causing additional add on effects. GW can focus on better deals and offers to test the water first, before embarking on such a risky strategy.

However all of this is subjective.

At the current prices I would not start, no matter how often they give me a freebee or what deals they throw out. I cannot keep an collection on promotions alone. The only way to get me back is to drop prices all aboard.

You may think otherwise. We don't know about others. There is no hard fact only you as a costumer and me who insists on cheaper products.

yabbadabba
26-01-2011, 16:12
However all of this is subjective. In terms of the thread? Yes. But if this thread was repeated across the majority of the forums, and then analysed, wouldn't that then make it market research? :angel:

At the current prices I would not start, no matter how often they give me a freebee or what deals they throw out. I cannot keep an collection on promotions alone. The only way to get me back is to drop prices all aboard. More subjectivity?

You may think otherwise. We don't know about others. There is no hard fact only you as a costumer and me who insists on cheaper products. Not sure what you are driving at here fella.

Max Jet
26-01-2011, 16:22
In terms of the thread? Yes. But if this thread was repeated across the majority of the forums, and then analysed, wouldn't that then make it market research?

To be honest here I am not sure what you are trying to say to me.
It looks like a misinterpretation of my post. I don't think the plural of subjective opinion is data or "market research".
If you meant something else you don't need to explain yourself however.

More subjectivity?

This is the point, I think your posts critisizing the subjective opinion of the posters is just as subjective as theirs, if not more. In a thread like this you would be wise to stay with the facts. The only facts we know are our own preferences and what we would like to see. Wether or not a company cares about this single costumer and his spending should be for them to decide. We can all speculate wether it is worthy, wether we are relevant costumers or wether our opinion matters in the context, but this is unwise in my opinion and leads to nothing without hard facts.
It is my believe that we should stick to the only thing we can know for a fact. Even if my spending is 1/10000 the part of Gws profits per half a year it is at least 0.01% hard fact, while speculations about costumer policies and global targets are 0% hard fact and 100% speculation.

yabbadabba
26-01-2011, 16:25
Hmm, I think you have misread my original post. There is no speculation there, just pointing out that I have a need for information on how a price drop would work, and that alternative promotions are a good way of testing the water, which is simple and productive planning.
No speculation or subjectivity.

Max Jet
26-01-2011, 16:33
I am now a little bit confused. As I look at the discussion it seems to be like this way.

You questioned people insisting on a price drop. That's your post and I think this is unwise, because every costumer has the right to insist on it.
You then continued to throw in really good, but unproofed arguments on why this would be good or not. If your point simply was to imply that marketing research has to be done concerning this matter, than I am wrong and offer you my apologize. I just read your post as a counter argument, that you think nobody should demand lower prices because it "could" be risky. Wether or not it is is not for us to decide. As it stands, every costumer should be able to insist on a price drop in such a discussion if that's the thing he wants in order to increase his spendings. This is just the only thing a poster can know for a fact, his own habbits.

My deepest apologize for any misunderstandings.

Sureshot05
26-01-2011, 17:16

It would encourage more people to pay full RRP and shop at the GW site for these things.

I'd definitely be interested in this sort of deal if the free model was good, and I was starting a new army. They could include a redeemable code in the box you can phone up for if your store runs out of them.

These really failed to grab me in the past. And generally people have sold the standard bearer (or metal figure) on ebay at a profit and then the rest at a minor loss. Very hard to prove that someone buying the box is gonna build an army, rather than split and sell on ebay.

I still think that selling the same regiment in bulk would make more sense.

10 Tacticals - 20
20 Tacticals - 35
30 Tacticals - 45

Yes, these can be split up and sold, but at that point, it doesn't matter to GW: They have been sold and a lot more of them.

Genuinely though, they just need to think more carefully about :fun ratio and check not just their competition but also other industries.

Daniel36
26-01-2011, 17:43
I know this is not the discussion, but free rules WOULD make me buy more stuff... GW should know better... In this day and age... And weren't the rules there to facilitate the miniatures anyways? Not to mention, no more Errata that you can't cut and paste into the rulebooks...

But free stuff... I guess I wouldn't mind that either...

TheMav80
27-01-2011, 00:57
Does anyone know how well GW keeps track of sales? It would be interesting to see reports on how well their Apocalypse boxes sold. Most of those were excellent deals. I know my independent store sold a lot of them. I bought the Interdiction Strike Force and two of the vehicle boxes for my Tau. I know most (if not all) of the vehicle boxes were basically buy 2 get one free.

Perhaps they didn't really sell that well and that is why we have not seen something like that again.

Fishslapper
27-01-2011, 01:58
BGiME was what got me into GW wargames in the first place. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't have went on to experiment with WHFB and eventually get an army. The magazine was a great deal and did make me spend all my pocket money at the time on Lord of the Rings models and later High Elves.

I think free models or deals would get me started on another army. I've never really played 40K in any depth and so I reckon having something there would make me expand an army a little more and even play the game.

I chose my Armies at the start because I thought they looked cool :P But if there were good deals then I'd have gone for it. I bought 2 battalion box sets of Empire and I've begun expanding in all directions.

I totally agree with Harry here. Free rules might get me to try it, but free models would make me spend money on more armies. Until I get any real reason to, I won't be buying another army soon. Which is a shame, because the Dogs of War rule was going to be my reason to buy Ogres!!!! Poor planning GW :P

Tarax
27-01-2011, 09:18
I still think that selling the same regiment in bulk would make more sense.

10 Tacticals - 20
20 Tacticals - 35
30 Tacticals - 45

This is an excellent idea. However, it doesn't work for every unit. And don't forget that they used to sell boxes of 20/16 which are now 10 models.
For 40K I would suggest that boxes of 5 models can be combined to 10 at a discount, eg 1 box of 5 SM Scouts for 10, 2 boxes for 17.
For Fantasy this would be trickier. They sell boxes of 10 models, but a unit can be much bigger than 20. So here, maybe, your prices would work better, ie 10 models for 20, 20 models for 35 and 30 models for 45.
Same would go for 40K vehicles that can be taken in squadrons.

destroyerlord
27-01-2011, 14:35
In answer to the OP: yes.

I bought Assault on Black Reach for the dread and termies (to convert to chaos) and ended up starting an ork army.
I started my Chaos Marine army only because a friend sold around 30 marines to me very cheap.
I didn't get pocket money through most of high school because my mum bought me BGiME instead. Now I have a ridiculous number of LoTR models where previously I never would have touched them.
My fantasy army (chaos warriors) has suffered from the opposite problem: separating the three factions made a few of my units unusable, and my warriors have suffered for it since. (I haven't bought/painted much at all for them in a long while).

Killgore
27-01-2011, 14:53
I had a 5 bag of various Chaos Space Marine metals from a GW store opening in the 90's, ended up collecting Chaos,

I found the system does work and encourage more purchases :P

But in a modern age of Ebay how many people would take advantage of such an offer and just shove all the models up for auction?

yabbadabba
27-01-2011, 14:56
In answer to the OP: yes.

I bought Assault on Black Reach for the dread and termies (to convert to chaos) and ended up starting an ork army.
I started my Chaos Marine army only because a friend sold around 30 marines to me very cheap.
I didn't get pocket money through most of high school because my mum bought me BGiME instead. Now I have a ridiculous number of LoTR models where previously I never would have touched them.
My fantasy army (chaos warriors) has suffered from the opposite problem: separating the three factions made a few of my units unusable, and my warriors have suffered for it since. (I haven't bought/painted much at all for them in a long while).Technically, those models were bought by you or for you. Surely not the samething as a freebie?

TimLeeson
27-01-2011, 18:22
Probably not to be fair, I personally cant afford 40k stuff these days. It has become too expensive for me in the past 2 years or so given my current situation as well as price-rises. Add to that, they dont really make anything to fit my taste - then even a free boxset of something would not entice me. They'd have to do something exciting and new for me to spend money on them these days - and I just dont believe they have the creativity to come up with the sort of thing id like.

destroyerlord
28-01-2011, 16:31
Technically, those models were bought by you or for you. Surely not the samething as a freebie?

Technically yes, but in practice not really. The price of Black Reach was justified in the units I wanted plus the rulebook, so in my mind at least the orks were bonus freebies that was going to get rid of. Once I opened the box though they were there so I decided to build and paint a few, and now I have an army of them.
The chaos example is more like buying a cheap used army from ebay, rather than being given freebies, sure.

Astraeos
28-01-2011, 18:00
If it was for an army I wanted or was about to collect, or probably would at some point then probably yes. But I suppose it depends on how much free stuff it was, a few figures won't do it but a couple of units/regiments will get me thinking "I have these so I may as well".

Otherwise, unlikely. I sometimes buy models that I like even if they're not in any of the armies I collect, like the River Trolls. It'll be a long time before I collect Orcs & Goblins (not because I don't like them, more that I have enough as it is) but I liked those guys so I bought myself a box.

New Cult King
01-02-2011, 06:50
I would love to see, alongside Battalions etc., mini boxes like AoBR released that are like "Space Marines vs Eldar!" "Tau/Kroot vs Orks!" "Imperial Guard vs Tyranids!" sort of thing, with maybe an HQ, and a couple of Troop choices and a transport or something for each side.

Maybe they could even base these around actual historical battles, like UM vs Tyranids, or IG vs Orks (Armageddon), or Tyranids vs Squats :shifty:

If there was a reasonable discount on these boxes, they would *certainly* prompt me to buy them in order to make Kill Teams, or even start an entirely new force.

GW really needs to stop clinging to its outdated business practices and start looking at new ways to invigorate the mini-buying aspect of the hobby. Something like this would be perfect for vets and newbies alike. Vets could dip their toe in the waters of a new army, and newbies could go halves in a box with their mates, and then build from there.

Pigboyneo
05-02-2011, 20:31
I wouldn't start a new army just on a few free things alone. But I would never have had my 10k guard army with out the bulk buying I did when Apocalypse got released.

If GW did this sort of sales tactics, for everthing in there range then I most prob would buy more things for my current armies, but also branch out and start new ones too.

But it would seem GW have gone for "you pay more and get less", which I think will come back to haunt them. Example;

Orc Boyz I can never get enough of them in my OnG army, when i first started to build my OnG force, they where around 15 for 19 orcs. Ok that fine with 4 box's I can 2 large orc units or 3 normal size units (this was in 7th edition aswell so smaller unitz where the norm), so for around 60 i've got a nice chunck of my army sorted.

Then they increase prices, over the years, now it 18.50 for 19 boyz, so now its around 74 pounds for 76 orcs, so am paying more, and now 8th ed rewards the use of bigger units so am really only go to be fielding one huge unit of orcs or 2 normal sized units for 8th ed. Ok so it going to cost me abit more and I get less orcs for the cost, but owell i guess I got to live with it, even if I don't really like it.

Now OnG are getting released in around a month, and Orc Boyz are get repackaged to have only 15 models, for around the same price, and the models them selves are not changing one bit. WTF!?!?!?!?!?! :mad::mad::mad:

So now for 75 orcs it going to cost me Around 85-92, in a game system that rewards big units! How is this a incentive to make me buy more models? Also all of these orcs are just sprue's, so paint, brush's, glue and movement trays and that well of a 100 for some thing that will not add that many points to my army.

So no, free models alone would not make me want to buy a new GW army, but some sort of bulk buying incentive would.

lanrak
06-02-2011, 10:13
Hi all.
The main reason adults buy stuff is because of percieved value for money.

If I want minatures for a table top wargame , I will buy the best value for money packages available.

Many other minature manufacturere give away free samples .But this is just to show the quality,rather than inspire massive purchases.

The only thing that guarentees repeat buisness is virtual monopoly of a service, or offering great value for money.

In the age of the internet and the growing use of it to find the best deals, the former is dwindeling , and the second the reality for the most sucessful companies.

TTFN

Tancred II von Quenelles
06-02-2011, 10:43
When I first met GW production in 1994 I ve liked several armies - all off FB but not daemons, beastmen, skaven and not existing at the moment lisardmen. Most of all I liked Bretonnians as I was always interested in knights. From 40k I liked eldar and marines. In Russia there was no GW, but I had the red 1992 fb catalog and some models of 3rd early 4th edition, most precious of them were 3rd edition perry sculpted Bretonnian footknights, many of them are avilable from wargames foundry now. I ve decided that some day I ll collect all the models of the armies I like - later I ve started dogs of war and took ogre models from OK to orcs and empire armies. And some dark eldar stuff joined my craftworld army as pirates. At the moment I m buying the new releases of the armies I collect and hunt for 3rd edition models which are still not on my shelves - I do not like pre-slotta era models and collected all I need from 4th edition of fb I need. Ah, and I we started collecting all he Lotr when it started, so I m buying its new releases too.
I d say the reasons for me to start collecting a new army or game system is that I like its models but not a lover price, though use the option if it s available

buy I d never start collecting an army I dislike - evenif got all thetau model line collection nicely panted for free I d sell it to buy nyself oldwfb from e-bay of some historical models or something alse-I do not need things I do not like even for freeor with a discount

SotF
07-02-2011, 12:49
I never would have really started playing the most recent Star Wars minis game if it wasn't for the freebies they'd sent out (Though the clone trooper that sort of became the "give 'em a couple hundred of these" for every promotion got extremely old).

Mantic's freebies that a friend got convinced me to go with them.

One card game I've been playing had a rather nice promotion when they redid their decks that had their old decks being given out at various events if you went and they taught the game.

A lot of time, if a friend doesn't already have some of their minis and the local stores don't have them, I'd like to have at least a simple freebie that I can use to examine and compare to my existing minis. I've been burned enough times to make me leery of just pictures on sites because they don't always give a good scale comparison to other ranges and basic details that I'd like to see.

scarletsquig
07-02-2011, 14:18
Then they increase prices, over the years, now it 18.50 for 19 boyz, so now its around 74 pounds for 76 orcs, so am paying more, and now 8th ed rewards the use of bigger units so am really only go to be fielding one huge unit of orcs or 2 normal sized units for 8th ed. Ok so it going to cost me abit more and I get less orcs for the cost, but owell i guess I got to live with it, even if I don't really like it.

Now OnG are getting released in around a month, and Orc Boyz are get repackaged to have only 15 models, for around the same price, and the models them selves are not changing one bit. WTF!?!?!?!?!?! :mad::mad::mad:

So now for 75 orcs it going to cost me Around 85-92, in a game system that rewards big units! How is this a incentive to make me buy more models?

Mantic are releasing their Orc range in April. If GW are taking 4 models out of the orc box for no reason, then that's a major shot in the foot for them.. 1/ model isn't too bad... 1.50/model starts to look expensive.

Erwos
07-02-2011, 15:28
I don't know if free minis would really start me on a new army on their own; my reaction to a free Dark Eldar mini (or even squad) would not be an immediate "I need to start this army!" Maybe it would be more of an impetus if I had already been thinking about starting the army; 5 PAGKs or Bloodletters might be the push I need to finally start GKs or CDs.

Having a better bulk deal for troops would go much further, at least for me; if I could buy a box of 30 PAGKs at a 25% discount over three separate boxes (not counting the usual Internet retailer discount), that would be a huge push for me. Yeah, GW takes an initial hit, but once you're that far in, you're doing the army - so they're locking in some future sales.