PDA

View Full Version : Necrons=Cheese?

Necromion
24-01-2011, 22:59
Ok, In my gaming group I am the only one who actively plays as Necrons, and as a result I am always accused of bringing cheese to the table. I will admit that C'tan and Monoliths can be a pain but they both are relativly easy to take care of. But other than these two reasons I am called complete and total cheese because of WWB.

So I'm trying to get some other opinions on the army, some as advice on how to deal with it, other than switch armies as I really enjoy playing the one I have.

IAMNOTHERE
24-01-2011, 23:02
Wow you must be a godlike player because Necrons are classed as a weak codex in 5th ed.

Seriously - if you've got a Monolith and a CTAN in 1500 pts then I'm going to phase you out unless you play a very clever game.

What type of lists do you put down?

DaSpaceAsians
24-01-2011, 23:04
hang on, doesn't that kind of list make you phase out with alarming ease? You must be quite good a player.

Grimtuff
24-01-2011, 23:05
What alternate reality do you live in? As I certainly want to live there to make my Necrons good again. :)

loveless
24-01-2011, 23:06
Well, make sure you're playing all the rules right - Necrons are suitably easy to take down in 5th edition.

Korraz
24-01-2011, 23:07
If you mean with cheese "The book lied long enough around to get hard, then soft again and to develop a horrible aroma", then yes, Necrons are cheese. ;)

The Marshel
24-01-2011, 23:12
just like to point out that he doesnt say he takes monoliths and ctan in the same list, just that they can be nasty.

i think your opponents are just doing it wrong. given the state of the cron book its not hard to make a decent necron list. the limited choices include plenty of no brainer "do not take" units. where as the guard codex, while arguably being the best codex, is flooded with units and options that just waste points.

as for WBB, reintroduce them to phase out. they are direct balancing factors imo. offer to remove WBB in return for ignoring phase out if u want. they'll prob accept then suddenly relise they actually have to kill the monolith now

Inquisitor Gabriel Ashe
24-01-2011, 23:14
He never mentioned the point level. It's probably 2500 - 3000. For some reason people look at me funny where I play when I say I've only brought 1850.

Necromion
24-01-2011, 23:22
Well I will flat out say that I lose most of my games, and that I have been only playing for about 7 months. Most of the games we play are 1250-2000.

As for what I typically bring it normally is as follows

lord with res orb, veil of darkness, and warscythe
D lord with phase shifter, and warscythe

sometimes immortals or flayed ones (to deal with snipers or devastators)

20 warriors

6-9 destroyers (depends on points) or wraith wing
1 unit of scarabs

one monolith (2 for 2000+)
sometimes H Destroyers (1 unit of 3)

other than that I will only bring a C'tan if i dont bring a monolith. I will admit that I am not insanely competitive and chose my army for the looks and the fluff.

Bunnahabhain
24-01-2011, 23:32
You lose most of your games, are the only Necron player, and they're calling the army cheesy?

Eh?:confused::wtf:

Stupid people are stupid. Ignore them.

ObiWan
24-01-2011, 23:43
So, if you lose most of your games what is the definition of cheese they are refering to? it is most certainly NOT the usual definition!

Lord-Caerolion
24-01-2011, 23:52
"Your army is soo cheesy! It beat me that one time, twenty games ago!"

Bestaltan
24-01-2011, 23:53
You must be the cheese. After all, it's apparent your opponents are the whine.

*Cues snare drum*

Necromion
24-01-2011, 23:57
I know its sad thats why Imlooking for advice. and as to me winning the only reason Iwin is basically because Im allied with another player or because my opponent focuses to much on my monolith or C'tan.

IAMNOTHERE
24-01-2011, 23:58
Looks like a fairly standard Necron list, your opponents are pussies who like winding you up.

On the plus side if you want advice on how to improve you've come to the right forum.

Necromion
24-01-2011, 23:59
Im always open to suggestions

Bunnahabhain
25-01-2011, 00:01
Don't play Necrons :p

Well, someone was going to say it.....

Stonerhino
25-01-2011, 00:33
For advice go to Necron Tactica thread. (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154515) It's 2,000+ post so use the search thread feature. otherwaise you might not get out much for a while.

Necromion
25-01-2011, 00:36
the biggest issue Ive faced is trying to prove to the group that in now way is my codex not complete and total cheese and hence why Im seeking advice on who to deal with it without giving up on my army

Nezalhualixtlan
25-01-2011, 01:03
You said yourself you lose most of the time, and yet your opponents complain? That's just poor judgment and sportsmanship on the part of your opponents.

Necrons overall are actually pretty weak right now as a Codex, they're one of the oldest Codexes at this point, not really tuned for 5th Ed, and have fallen behind a number of the other more recent ones in terms of power. Do they have some decent units? Yes... but in terms of points & function, they are hardly overpowered or godly in any way shape or form, and most armies have plenty of ways to deal with it.

Next time someone accuses you of "cheese" with Necrons, tell them to explain *exactly* what is "cheesy" about them. WBB is hardly broken, and easily nullified with power weapon (or equivalent) wounds, or high strength weapons (and the meta-game usually has a massive number of Melta shots these days to deal with vehicles). And the Monolith is tough, but you also need to contend with phase out, which it doesn't count towards, and the firepower it can bring to bear is not the most impressive thing in the game by any stretch.

Really, it sounds like you have terrible opponents with no real idea about your army. They are probably whiny just because its different. Pay them no mind.

I generally think any claims of "cheese" are suspect to begin with, usually it's just some sore loser with too little imagination and no head for strategy, tactics, probability / statistics, or list building trying to console themselves that they really aren't that terrible. But I have a hard time even conceiving of a list in the Necron codex that could even begin to be mildly deserving of the term "cheese".

ehlijen
25-01-2011, 01:03
There are a few armies out there that can't deal easily with necrons. The one big weakness they have is sweeping advance. But some armies just can't reliably break them in combat. And some armies don't want to try because the player chose not to make a mad rushing combat army with their codex.

It is entirely plausible that the OP is mostly facing armies that aren't trying to go after the necrons main weakness in 5th ed.

Necromion
25-01-2011, 01:13
I typically have to deal with C:SM, Gaurd, DE, CSM, Nids, and Orks. and to give an idea of the people I deal with one of my more regular opponents believes that my warriors are the best troops in the game he also thinks Tau need an update more then Necrons

Inquisitor Gabriel Ashe
25-01-2011, 01:24
I think they're confusing frustration for cheese. WBB can be frustrating, but it they're still winning I think they need to rethink calling them cheese.

Blink
25-01-2011, 01:25
hang on, doesn't that kind of list make you phase out with alarming ease? You must be quite good a player.

Phase out is ALWAYS rare if you're playing right.

In regards to the topic itself, "Cheese" can technically mean taking the C'tan in a 1,000pt list... but I don't think so.

Inquisitor Gabriel Ashe
25-01-2011, 01:28
No, cheese is taking Eldrad and the Avatar in a 1000 point game . . . against a new guy fielding foot-slogging sisters for his first game.

Edit: Yes, I'm bitter about it still.

Bestaltan
25-01-2011, 02:18
......one of my more regular opponents believes that my warriors are the best troops in the game......

Just out of curiosity, how often do your opponents play outside of your circle? Necron warriors can be a headache, but jeez, with the new penalties for suffering wounds in combat, just hit a big unit of necron warriors with some genestealers/khorne berserkers/thunrderwolf cav/any focused cc unit and watch them melt.

Man, if your opponents complain about necrons, my nonlinear Nids/6 battlewagons o' doom/KHAAAAAN!! outflank lists would give them seizures.

jacktheinedible
25-01-2011, 02:23
do most of the players in your group happen to be new to 40k/wargaming/thinking?

necrons are awkward to deal with at first, untill you understand the whole phase out and WBB mechanics and learn how to prevent WBB rolls and phase the army out. So i suppose at a glance they could be considered cheesy, but with some thought they are unfortunatly easy to beat.

Necromion
25-01-2011, 03:07
Just out of curiosity, how often do your opponents play outside of your circle? .
I cant speak for all of them but I can say that several do play elsewhere

do most of the players in your group happen to be new to 40k/wargaming/thinking?.

I honestly dont know but I do know many of them have played since 2nd and 3rd edition. As for myself I am one of the newest players in my group but still I have been in several heated discussion how they are far from the best but try telling them that its like talking to a rock

Blink
25-01-2011, 03:53
Necron USED to be the army to beat... Warriors used to be good. With the new rules, Sweeping Advance is all too common. If ever an Army needed Stubborn...

Necrotyr18
25-01-2011, 04:05
Why does the internet always put Necrons down as the army that needs a tactical genius to be used or you will be phased out. In this past 'Ard Boyz I won first overall in my local preliminaries, then took second in semi's, then went 1-1-1, in finals.

My list is ridiculed at by everyone with a log in but it always seems to work, and whenever I tell of tactics there is always a handful of people that tell me I will be phased out by turn 4. It could very well be true, but is the complete suprise of a Necron player doing well warranted.

BTW: My 1850 list is as follows:

Deceiver
10 Warriors
10 Warriors
5 Destroyers
5 Destroyers
4 Destroyers
Monolith
Monolith

kardar233
25-01-2011, 04:07
I've seen that list do quite well in local tournies. However, from what I've seen it gets eaten by mech Guard, which is thankfully rare here but not likely so in other areas.

deggaroth
25-01-2011, 04:29
do most of the players in your group happen to be new to 40k/wargaming/thinking?

necrons are awkward to deal with at first, untill you understand the whole phase out and WBB mechanics and learn how to prevent WBB rolls and phase the army out. So i suppose at a glance they could be considered cheesy, but with some thought they are unfortunatly easy to beat.

This was true in my group. The first time the cron player showed up, he steam-rolled us all, cause we didn't know about his army. After we discovered the phase out rules, we were the ones that did the steam-rolling. There is a requirement of adjustment in your thinking when you face crons, but hardly an over-powered army.

@Necromonion: Is there only one or two players doing the whining or is your entire group doing the whining? If there is only one or two, this will explain things, since there is always that one guy that is going to whine.

Necromion
25-01-2011, 04:48
@Necromonion: Is there only one or two players doing the whining or is your entire group doing the whining? If there is only one or two, this will explain things, since there is always that one guy that is going to whine.

sadly it is more than just one or two, however mostly the people who say I play cheese are the I gaurd players, and those are the players who I know play in the more competative tournaments. To give you an idea of what i have to deal with is in my last game this past saturday. I take part in a friendly game, all three of our gaurd players against me and and tau player. they basically mech spam and 5 leman russ, all infantry in chimeras, a mortar squad, and a colossus cannon (that thing murdered my warriors). my tau ally had 2 crysis teams, Shaso'myr(or what ever he is called). fire warriors in devilfish, and a broadside team. I took 40 warriors, 1 unit of flayed ones, 2 destroyers squads, scarabs, d lord and foot lord, and 2 monoliths. the whole game they whined about my WWB, and how the monolith is the ultimate chese, and at the end of the game, even though they almost phased me out. They told me that my army ruined the match for them. I thought it was very sad.

Lord-Caerolion
25-01-2011, 05:03
Wow... that's pretty sad on their part... The monolith, while powerful, is over 200pts of "free bonus towards phase out for you!"

insectum7
25-01-2011, 05:10
sadly it is more than just one or two, however mostly the people who say I play cheese are the I gaurd players, and those are the players who I know play in the more competative tournaments. To give you an idea of what i have to deal with is in my last game this past saturday. I take part in a friendly game, all three of our gaurd players against me and and tau player. they basically mech spam and 5 leman russ, all infantry in chimeras, a mortar squad, and a colossus cannon (that thing murdered my warriors). my tau ally had 2 crysis teams, Shaso'myr(or what ever he is called). fire warriors in devilfish, and a broadside team. I took 40 warriors, 1 unit of flayed ones, 2 destroyers squads, scarabs, d lord and foot lord, and 2 monoliths. the whole game they whined about my WWB, and how the monolith is the ultimate chese, and at the end of the game, even though they almost phased me out. They told me that my army ruined the match for them. I thought it was very sad.

They sound like big time jerks if you ask me.

Lord-Caerolion
25-01-2011, 05:14
You're even letting them use Forge World stuff, infamous for crazy pricing, and they want to complain. Both WWB and the Monolith are easy to get around, especially for the IG.

Geep
25-01-2011, 05:27
Unfortunately it sounds like your group needs changing...

IG are one of the tougher armies to beat IMO- especially with necrons, since glancing hits are no where near as effective as they used to be. The other armies you list are no slouches either.

Necrons aren't even one of the toughest armies anymore- our guys are damn expensive, have to deal with phase out (and WBB has restrictions). In most cases, a marine with Feel no Pain is better (cheaper, no need for friends nearby, gets to strike back in the combat if he makes his save)- and FnP is all too easy to get for many armies.

Necromion
25-01-2011, 05:41
changing groups isnt exactly easy for me since they are the only real local players around here that isnt and hour and a half away. some people in the group arent to bad but i still am trying to figure out a bullet proof way to show them that my army is far from difficult to defeat.

Gatsby
25-01-2011, 05:54

Tell them that if they cant handily beat you with the new IG that they are better off playing Solitaire. Necrons are THE weakest codex at the moment, while IG are arguably THE most OP. The cheese stigma is from the initial release in 3rd ed when they were INCREDIBLY powerful even in 4th ed they were still a strong list. As of 5th they are easily defeated by any other list.

Aliarzathanil
25-01-2011, 06:38
I've ways found that offering someone the chance to play your army against theirs helps. They get to see it from the other side and you get to learn the strengths and weaknesses of your list by playing it.

Lothlanathorian
25-01-2011, 07:51
but i still am trying to figure out a bullet proof way to show them that my army is far from difficult to defeat.

One would have thought merely playing against Necrons would be the bullet proof way to show them that. Your friends are fools and I doubt anything can help them see the light since it is very obvious they have no desire to.

Also, I second the suggestion of switching armies for a game. I have a friend who used to think that the lists/armies I used were just way to cheese/OP so I suggested that we start playing two games, one with are own army, then trade forces and play again. After I started beating him when we'd switch, he stopped complaining and starting playing better.

Angelwing
25-01-2011, 08:18
So these chaps are beating you regularly, yet crying because your army is too tough and over the top?
If I were you I'd simply play the other players in your group, or find another group. Don't put up with unwarranted abuse or criticism, your supposed to be having fun!

TheRatsInTheWalls
25-01-2011, 08:39
My list is ridiculed at by everyone with a log in but it always seems to work, and whenever I tell of tactics there is always a handful of people that tell me I will be phased out by turn 4. It could very well be true, but is the complete suprise of a Necron player doing well warranted.

BTW: My 1850 list is as follows:

Deceiver
10 Warriors
10 Warriors
5 Destroyers
5 Destroyers
4 Destroyers
Monolith
Monolith

I don't quite know what you mean by "ridiculed at by everyone with a log." This is basically the list I see posted every time a new Necron army appears on this forum. The Deceiver is new, but otherwise you picked the three most popular Necron choices.

changing groups isnt exactly easy for me since they are the only real local players around here that isnt and hour and a half away. some people in the group arent to bad but i still am trying to figure out a bullet proof way to show them that my army is far from difficult to defeat.

Well, you could try showing them this thread. Perhaps the ridicule they're receiving for such truly asinine wingeing will set them straight. You could also just tell them exactly how to make you Phase Out quickly and effectively, but that sounds pretty boring for you once they actually understand that weakness. The final option is to tell them to "sit on it and twirl," (or a more forceful expression of your preference) and then go play the other people in your group.

Blink
25-01-2011, 09:17
Wow... that's pretty sad on their part... The monolith, while powerful, is over 200pts of "free bonus towards phase out for you!"

You would think that (as most people mistakenly do), but a good Necron player won't phase out regardless of how few Necron they have.

Lord Damocles
25-01-2011, 09:44
10 characters

Sappysid101
25-01-2011, 09:48
Whatever you do mate don't swap armies because of this. Just because they don't like playing WBB doesn't means you should stop playing necrons. You could go spend out on mech vets with vendettas or some other amry that actually deserves the title of "cheese" and then let them pick which they'd rather play ^^ or you could get the Badab book and use the guy that lets you take apothacarys in every squad and steamroll them that way? ; )

Either way it's them beings the nobs not you.
- Sid

tuebor
25-01-2011, 10:45

It sounds like every game night the guys you play with step through some bizarre time portal from about 2005 when IG were crap and Necrons were really good.

Actually I find that quite a few "old timers" have trouble letting go of old preconceptions about armies and units from days of yore. You see this come up quite a bit on the forums with a lot (not all, of course) of the special character hate that is a holdover from 3rd edition.

I myself am only just beginning to really internalize that my IG aren't the gimped one-trick gunline pony that they were in 3rd and 4th editions.

Dezartfox
25-01-2011, 10:48
I play crons at 1500 with a deceiver and monolith, I also run 2 spiders and scarabs in that list and I rarely lose/get phased out ;)

necrons still have some tricks up their metallic sleeves!

Necromion
25-01-2011, 13:47
Thanks for the help, Ill see if i can get a couple of them to trade armies for a game and see what happens.

Overlord Krycis
25-01-2011, 13:59
Ok, In my gaming group I am the only one who actively plays as Necrons, and as a result I am always accused of bringing cheese to the table. I will admit that C'tan and Monoliths can be a pain but they both are relativly easy to take care of. But other than these two reasons I am called complete and total cheese because of WWB.

So I'm trying to get some other opinions on the army, some as advice on how to deal with it, other than switch armies as I really enjoy playing the one I have.

:eek: :wtf: mwahahahahaha!
Congratulations sir, I now need to clean coffee off my screen...

Necrons are a weak army in 5th ed, even C'tan, 3 monoliths and as many 'necron' models as possible will get horribly mauled by most other armies.
I'd take a look at the Necron 5th ed tactica on Warseer to get yourself winning some more games, but your opponents really need to take a good look around as WBB is nothing compared to the cheese-fest that a lot of 5th ed codex choices can pull.

Archibald_TK
25-01-2011, 14:49
however mostly the people who say I play cheese are the I gaurd players
Today January 25th 2011, Archibald TK saw a thread about IG players telling to a Necron player that his army is cheese. After that Archibald commented, and I quote:
"- I have now seen everything that could be seen, the circle is complete, from now on nothing will surprise me anymore."

loveless
25-01-2011, 15:07
a good Necron player won't phase out regardless of how few Necron they have.

I'm guessing you meant to say "a good Necron player won't phase out regardless of how few choices in their army have the Necron special rule" since the other interpreation of this statement makes no sense :p

Try all you might - at some point, you'll be phased out. Monoliths and C'tan are scary, but they still vanish when you've dealt with the underlings.

Malagate
25-01-2011, 15:18
Today January 25th 2011, Archibald TK saw a thread about IG players telling to a Necron player that his army is cheese. After that Archibald commented, and I quote:
"- I have now seen everything that could be seen, the circle is complete, from now on nothing will surprise me anymore."

Tell me, have you ever seen a man eat his own head? :D

I am (seriously) curious as to the competence of the Imperial Guard players in this game group, whilst they may partake of the more competitive tournaments that doesn't mean they're successful :chrome: You could take all the shinies in the world and still fall flat on your face if you don't know how to use them and your opponent is (at the very least) competant.

Bonzai
25-01-2011, 15:33
Lol, I am the kind of jerk that would show up with a Thunderwolf Calvary list, complete with storm shields on everything, 3 long fang squads, etc... beat their teeth in, and be like "Wow...aren't you glad I don't play with those cheesey Necrons anymore".

I have been called cheesey before as a Necron player. By an IG player in fact, when I brought 20 immortals. I have had my Wraith Wing referred to as "broken". Granted, there are certain armys that simply cannot deal with a Monolith. DE come to mind. But you know the beauty of it? They don't have to. They can completely ignore them, and still end up tabling you. The Deciever? It has a 4+ save. It's invulnerable sure, but that's only a 50/50 chance of ignoring the wound. 10 wounds with average dice and it's dead. I find that usually happens turn 2-3 at lattest.

If you want a non-monolith, non-C-tan list that I regularly tabled Mech guard with, I used this 1850 list;

Lord w/ D. Body, Phase Shifter, Orb, warscythe
10 warriors
10 warriors
9 Immortals
9 Immortals
3 wraiths
3 wraiths
3 wraiths
2 hvy destroyers
2 hvy destroyers
2 hvy destroyers
Total: 1833

Main thing is to play aggressive. Deploy as far forward as you can while taking advantage of terrain. Remember that with squads of 2, only 1 hvy Destroyer needs to be in/behind cover to give the squad a cover save. Wraiths can wreck anything they have, and their inv saves will give them fits. Only thing you have to watch for is them getting more than one vet squad able to rapid fire on them. Sometimes it's better to split them up and multi assault. Keep things spread out to lessen template damage, but units close enough to offer WBB support (I.E. take casualties from the outer edges of your lines, not the center). Target priority will be the S10-S8 templates. If you can remove them, then the game is basically yours, as your wbb is secure.

Another useful thing to keep in mind, is that on average every 10 shots will produce 1 glance. That means that with average rolls, each warrior/immortal squad can at a minimum shake a vehicle and prevent them from shooting. Vs the Imperial guard, that is pretty much all you need. So the key is to get your forces as forward enough to do so. Their troops lose out to yours in every way possible, so focus on vehicles first, and their tanks/ordinance in particular.

Kick their tails in a few times, and then go tell them to pick up a competative army. ;)

Carnage
25-01-2011, 15:58
I think his opponents are mixing up the word cheesy and annoying. There's almost no way Necrons can be called cheesy with the current state of their codex.

Annoying though? They have that covered, that's for sure. His opponents are just irritated facing necrons, so much of what works against similar troops doesn't work nearly as well against them. It requires an opponent of necrons to completely rethink his basic tactical layout and plan in the face of virtually indestructible monoliths and T8 W5, 4+ invul save monstrous creatures. The standard strategy of "The right tool for the right job" kinda going out the window against necrons and is replaced with "Kill all the necron models before he kills you".

Nothing is quite as annoying as fighting Deciever with a Tyranid army for example. You charge him, he runs away, shooting is largely ineffective due to the poor strength of tyranid weapons as well. So Deciever can choose which combat to play in at will, cannot be harmed by anything without poison or S5 or more, and leave whenever he feels like it. Makes killing him extremely difficult. That doesn't even mention the monolith. Only thing that's reasonably decent at killing that is Zoanthropes, and their lance rule doesn't even work against it. Combined with their limited range it makes them destroyer fodder.

How about throwing significant resources into dropping a 10 man necron warrior squad all in 1 turn, only to see 75% of them get back up when they portal through a monolith...nothing like having to kill stuff 2, 3 or even 4+ times to make sure it STAYS DEAD.

Necrons are by no means unfair or cheesy, but it's really un-fun to be unable to effectively deal with the real threats of an army and be forced to focus on killing a bunch of fairly resilient MeQ troops that can come back to life 50-75% of the time.

Rlyehable
25-01-2011, 16:35
I have trouble against Necrons with non-mechanized Tau (not enough S:8+ and no power weapons).
But do fair with Eldar, Space Marines, Tyranid, and my own Necrons.

Destroyer-heavy Necrons are also difficult to deal with for my armies (in the same way that jetbike heavy Eldar can be). But that is mainly due to the lists that I have (outside the current meta-game of mech and uber-melta).

I usually loose when I play Necrons. But, again, this is mostly due to my army build (I often field Pariahs because I like them) and poor playing.

Cheese? When they were first introduced, before players found how to phase them out, yes. Now, no.

Is WBB annoying? Yes. But no more so (and arguiably less) than SS/TH Wolfguard, 3 melta vets in a valkyrie, gaunt spewing tervigons, razorback lines of melta-angels, etc.

oCoYoRoAoKo
25-01-2011, 17:00
To a Guard player who doesn't play melta-spam, a Monolith is no harder to take down then a Land Raider (which is argueably better).

As a necron player myself, i have been on the receiving end on some of that flack, and my monolith has earned the title 'Hax-Tank' in my gaming circle.

But anyway, I question your opponents ability to play the game if they have nothing better to do then complain about necrons being OP.

Overall, I agree with the below posters. Have them write an armylist and see how well they do with it. As a necron player you should be very good at knowing the weeknesses of your own army so it should be no problem to beat them :p

Cy.

Thud
25-01-2011, 20:29
These opponents... Are they often featured on websites such as Failblog and Lamebook? If so, that would explain a lot.

Spiney Norman
25-01-2011, 20:54
Are you sure these people were talking about your army, not something else, your feet perhaps ;)

kaimarion
25-01-2011, 22:52
These opponents... Are they often featured on websites such as Failblog and Lamebook? If so, that would explain a lot.

I would not be surprised.

Next they will be complaining that your necron warriors are so OP in combat because they kill their squishy guardsmen :D.

Necromion
25-01-2011, 23:21
Next they will be complaining that your necron warriors are so OP in combat because they kill their squishy guardsmen :D.

If that were to happen I think I would have to eat one of my monoliths, lol. Thank you all for the help and advice I might be able to even be able to prove that necrons are not that hard to beat

Nezalhualixtlan
25-01-2011, 23:44

It sounds like they are just *******. My suggestion is to find someone else to play if you are able, there's no reason to engage in a game with this sort of poor sport and loser, unless you are perhaps forced to by way of tournament where you have no choice in the matter if you want to play to win. If you have other options in opponents, take them, you'll be happier for it in the long run, these guys sound like the kind of jerks that will moan no matter what happens, unless they are wiping you off the table by turn 2 (which wouldn't surprise me in the least if they also then gloated about something like that).

Sekhmet
26-01-2011, 02:24
Eh, I can pull off draws in 1500 vs 1750 pt games using Necrons. I'd say, yes. :shifty:

the1stpip
26-01-2011, 09:55
He never mentioned the point level. It's probably 2500 - 3000. For some reason people look at me funny where I play when I say I've only brought 1850.

People would look funny at me and say 'How much? I only have 1500!'

Indeed, Necronsd are easy to take down unless you know what yopu are doing with them.

Try a Destroyer list, and then hear them weep!

Blink
26-01-2011, 10:11
Try all you might - at some point, you'll be phased out. Monoliths and C'tan are scary, but they still vanish when you've dealt with the underlings.

That's what I'm saying. A good Necron player won't let you get to the underlings.

Reflex
26-01-2011, 10:24
Wait wait wait wait wait!!!

This thread is many months to early.. the necron codex hasnt been re released yet!

(see what I did thar?) :P

If your opponents are calling necrons cheese they must be stiring you. Necrons are one of the weakest if not the weakest list out at the moment. there is no doubt that necrons have some major problems, and if your opponents cant figure it out, (or read the interwebs) then thats their problem.

Polaria
26-01-2011, 10:48
Necron are most likely THE weakest Codex at moment. That being said the difference isn't so big that a good player couldn't consistently pull off more than 60% win rate as long as his opponents aren't playing die-hard, ultra-pimped, be-cheece-or-die tournament lists.

Necron problem is that the whole Codex has maybe three competitive lists and they are all slight variations of one theme. Once your opponents understand how to fight that one theme, they should not call you cheece. If they can't figure their head around that one theme, it really doesn't matter what you play... Any even slightly competitive list of any Codex will be too hard for them.

tuebor
26-01-2011, 11:59
Wait wait wait wait wait!!!

This thread is many months to early.. the necron codex hasnt been re released yet!

That certainly never stopped Warseer from whining about a new Codex before. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Blink
26-01-2011, 18:43
... That's the joke.jpg

NowScreamForIt
26-01-2011, 20:08
The title of this post made me laugh...hard.

Yeah liths are tough..but not broken..and the c'tan I put up there with all the other stupid ICs out there running around...

megatrons2nd
28-01-2011, 00:01
I have problems against Necrons with my Tau, but My Eldar pull off more wins than losses. I haven't had a chance to take my Dark Eldar against them yet.

Bonzai
28-01-2011, 14:12
Tau are one of the few armies with legitimate gripes against Necrons, as they are nearly a pure ranged army, which is exactly what the Necrons are designed to be good against. There are limited ways to instadeath them, and no templates that do so. Guard used to be in the same boat, worse in fact, but with chimera's and the sheer number of templates they can sling out, that is no longer the case.

However, does Necrons being inately tough against Tau make them cheesy, or merely point out some short comings in their own codex? If Necrons are such a tough nut to crack, I would hate to see what happens to them when they go against a competative blood angels list.