PDA

View Full Version : Custom foam and Warhammer

Whitehorn
25-01-2011, 09:40
I'm seeking some advice on using custom foam companies to get some trays for my models and find the dimensions and lingo a bit confusing.

I have several GW cases with the basic slots. They're fine for most 40k and fantasy infantry models, but irksome for anything else. I have some block trays for vehicles, so they are covered too.

Really I need some advice on the correct trays to fit a regular GW case AND fit the following types of model:

Chaos Knights
Smaller cavalry - High Elf Reavers, Chaos Marauders
Ogre/Ogryn sized models.
Terminators

If anyone with experience of custom trays could lend me some advice, I'd much appreciate the insight!

RanaldLoec
25-01-2011, 09:56
There are different carry case systems in use so check that first.

Allot of online retailers like giftsforgeeks.org and waylandgames do custom foam.

There are two sorts

Cheap pluck foam, which is supplied in a rectangular block its up to you to pluck out small foam blocks to match your needs.

Expensive custom foam.

I got two custom foam trays to carry my two IG calls and 5 tanks they cost me 20 odd quid each. Not cheap but they do the job.

the_slosh
25-01-2011, 10:01
You should check this out then http://www.krmulticase.co.uk/

They have all the custom foam you could ever need, and the price is not to heartbreaking ;)

dragonet111
25-01-2011, 10:01
Thanks.

I was looking for the same things. I want to do a custom case for my Bretonnian and Blood Angels.

RCgothic
25-01-2011, 11:43
I would highly reccommend Battlefoam.

Whitehorn
25-01-2011, 11:46
I would highly reccommend Battlefoam.

I've checked them out before, hence my questions. Also, being in the UK the postage is bile. Any known UK suppliers?

EDIT: Wayland seem to have a reasonable selection.

Lecai_Lathain
25-01-2011, 15:31
You should check this out then http://www.krmulticase.co.uk/

Seconded, I have 5 cases from them and they are good quality without being that expensive. Excellent choice of foam layouts too.

Whitehorn
25-01-2011, 16:04
Thanks for the links guys, but it seems no one read my questions.

KR multicase are showing me the following:

F2H - 18 28mm cavalry on 25x50mm rectangular bases (standing)

The print outs show me the slots are 50mm long, so that's too short for the model. Not many chaos models actually with in the footprint of their own base.

Example:
http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af235/xxyz_/chaos2.jpg

So, rather than posting me links to the sites, does anyone have any experience with using these trays with the sorts of models in the first post and if so, which trays did you use with satisfaction?

Torpedo Vegas
25-01-2011, 17:44
Never underestimate pluck foam. I bought a giant pluck foam tray, it holds my screaming bell War Altar conversion, 4 warmachines, and has room to hold to DE raiders.

Bodysnatcher
25-01-2011, 19:20
http://www.figuresincomfort.net/catalogue/ - what I use.

reddevil18
25-01-2011, 19:43
For chaos knights and other cav all i have done is cut the space for 2 models into one on the normal GW case and that works fine.
Althought i am trying to think of a way to transport ogers trolls and the like as well.
No idea on terminators but if its any help i carry my hellcannon in a card box filled with straw lol.

King_Pash
25-01-2011, 20:02
Being the proud owner of a brand new PACK 720 case from Battlefoam, I cannot recommend them enough. I had a custom load-out and even went a little over the allowance and they not only managed to get it all done for me, they even managed to get it done in record time and it arrived in UK no bother. Those guys are awesome, I would seriously consider them if you want to invest in an army.

TheYoungin
26-01-2011, 03:45
I know there's probably already been 10 people who gave this same answer but I'm still going to give my input.

Battlefoam.

JMMelo
26-01-2011, 12:25
Go for the V Format trays from KR Multicases... they have 60mm by 30mm slots, fits 24 cavalry with some room. Plus, the foam is really soft, so its ok for wider models... I use it for my WE cavalry

Earthbeard
26-01-2011, 13:16
It's worth bearing in mind, you can get foam for a fraction of the cost and make your own custom trays, while not as nice and you still need to find a transportation method, it can help with trickier stuff.

But I use a combination of GW & KR cases, with custom pluck stuff of my own design.

Whitehorn
26-01-2011, 14:24
Thank you both, I'm leaning more towards KR now, probably due to overall costs!

Poseidal
26-01-2011, 14:46
I lie Chaos Knights down in a KR infantry tray (the larger sized infantry of the standard ones they do), cutting out one of the dividers. The only problem one is the Standard Bearer, who is much taller. I cut 4 out (2 x 2 infantry slots) but you can probably fit them in going 3 high

senorcardgage
26-01-2011, 21:24
I'm all about krmulticase. I know it's not such a big deal for you since you're in England, but the free shipping offered by KR really swayed me. Although I feel that Sabol and/or Battlefoam probably makes a better product, the total price for a KR case was significantly cheaper.