PDA

View Full Version : Warhound or Reaver? Titan help!

Ozeor
26-01-2011, 04:02
I'm looking at getting my 1st ever titan, Now I have put together tons of models before all the way up to a baneblade, but never pinned before, magnitized but havent pinned.

Now i'm wondering from a modeling perspective, which one is the more easier titan to model. I'm hearing the reaver is the easiest, even though larger and more parts. From what I'm told the warhound's feet is really hard to do.

So can anyone help me out here, what should I do? I really wanna put one together but it's a ton of money.

Help me out

Dwane Diblie
26-01-2011, 04:07
No experiance with a reaver but a warhound requires lots of pinning all over it. you have no option with its feet unfortunatly. there are all kinds of pistons and gears and so on. Looks awsome though.

Omniassiah
26-01-2011, 05:03
No experiance with a reaver but a warhound requires lots of pinning all over it. you have no option with its feet unfortunatly. there are all kinds of pistons and gears and so on. Looks awsome though.

uh... did my entire warhound without pinning.... no breakage from normal use. Be honest the Warhound wasn't to bad, my suggestion is to forget the pistons on the dry run on building the legs. work up one leg across the hip and down the other, I'd guess you'd want to do the same on the reaver. once you get the positioning figured out you can start the real gluing and assembly. the pistons aren't that big of a deal. The cylinders have a hole deep enough that you have quite a bit of leeway on cutting the rod. Overall take your time assembling it, let the parts have time to dry before going higher. If you can put it on a wood, tile, or anything else rigid base you'll save your self a lot of trouble later on. Just remember up one leg down the other

MajorWesJanson
26-01-2011, 05:21
I liked building my reaver more than my warhound, personally. I learned important lessons about building the warhound feet for the next one I get, but the biggest difference to me is the body. The warhound has an interior made up of 6 parts that all contribute to the interior walls, making it a pain to secure and especially paint. the reaver has a single piece for the central core, with a well fitting front piece that slides on, and rear parts that I can slot in without glue even. It just seems better designed to me.

Ozeor
26-01-2011, 05:43
Wes could you post pictures of them side by side with say, a marine as well for scale purposes?

Sons of Lorgar
28-01-2011, 23:01
I'm slowly painting and building a chaos warhound, at the moment it's a bit on hold. One tip if you do decide on a warhound is to not glue the main body to the hip assembly but magnetize it instead. I have drilled holes for pinning the major joints and also for pinning the feet/leg/hip assembly to a battlescape terrain piece, one foot on the rhino wreck and one on a rock over a crater. I did have to reinforce the space beneath the rhino wreck with a bar of fibreglass reinforced styrene I had lying around to make the pin secure enough to hold the foot. The biggest problem I have faced is the weapon cabling, the resin cables just won't bend neatly, I have decided to go for 1.5mm steel wire glued into the cable sockets and cover it with something more flexible to give it a cable look.
Also, the warhound can be modified to fit LEDs in the head shining through painted cockpit windows.

silentsmoke
28-01-2011, 23:06
Check my krieg log, two war hounds and a reaver. Taking time and patience for these kits but well worth it....

MajorWesJanson
28-01-2011, 23:09
I have magnetized weapons, so I don't bother with the weapon cables on mine.

I'll see what I can do about the pic, hopefully I can get one tomorrow.

My Warhound is mid stride, and so requires a pair of brass rods to hold it up. Not the best pose to try for a first titan in retrospect, but I like it.

I have magnetized the weapons on both the warhound and reaver, and the waist of the warhound. The reaver waist, thanks to the rounded socket, just has a pin to keep it in place.

As for pinning, I only pinned a few places on each Titan. My Warhound has a pair of rods to hold it up, and a large rod that goes entirely through the hips. The rest is just superglue. The Reaver just has a rod in the hips, and a small one vertically in the waist to keep the top half on.

On assembly, for the warhound, assemble the feet first, then the legs, then the waist, and fit those assemblies together to get the balance right. On the reaver, the feet are a lot simpler, so build the legs first, then put the center foot piece on and fit the hips so it is upright. As long as you don't go too far off center, Reavers have a pretty good balance, even without the toes attached.

I still have mine in pieces, as painting them is a real pain. Lots of detail, plus several square feet of surface area are a challenge.