PDA

View Full Version : COLOR v2 - Super Huge Detailed Map of the Warhammer Old World

GoFasta
26-01-2011, 17:06
Dudes,

So roughly 400 hours after starting this project I present to you the new and improved Super Huge Detailed Map of the Warhammer Old World... in color!

Download at Gitzman's Gallery (http://www.gitzmansgallery.com)- WFRP Maps section.

The map is a little over 16,000 pixles by 16,000 pixles. It is a continuous map from Norsca to Khemri, from Estalia to the Dark Lands.

Main Features:

A boat load of detail

The Island of Albion, Altdorf Region, part of Araby, Averland, The Badlands, Border Princes, Bretonnia, The Dark Lands, Kislev, Nuln, Estalia, Hochland, Middenland, Nordland, Norsca, Ostermark, Ostland, Reikland, Stirland, Suddenland, Sylvania, Talabecland, The Moot, The Pirate Isle of Sartosa, Tilea, Troll Country, The Wasteland, Wissenland, The Worlds Edge Mountains, and more.

All locations, roads, cities, forests, etc. have been rescaled to be more cohesive.

Full color throughout.

Huge amounts of community feedback for correcting errors and adding new locations has been implemented.

Many Orc, Goblin and Skaven settlements have been included

For those of you interested in printing the map, it is designed to be printed at 300 dpi, which should yeild a map between 4 and 4 1/2 feet squared.

While nearly 90% of this map was redrawn and created me, a very large portion of the original content and inspiration came from the community and the following: Andreas Blicher, Alfred Nunez, JackDays, Emerikol, Sunatet, and many, many more. My thanks to everyone who helped contribute content.

Its a large file, 100 mb PDF, and all that, so beware =). But its very cool.

Visit Gitzman's Gallery (http://www.gitzmansgallery.com) - WFRP Maps to download.

Game on!

Gitzman

P.S. Check out our WFRP3 podcast, The Reckless Dice for news and discussion on Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd Edition at http://RecklessDice.Rorschach.net or mirrored at Gitzman's Gallery (http://www.gitzmansgallery.com). Also available on iTunes.

Pacorko
26-01-2011, 18:22
Once again, I get the same error message as before. I just can't get into your website. :(

shelfunit.
26-01-2011, 19:04
Works fine for me.

Really is an impressive bit of work. The detail is incredible, it's basically a Warhammer version of an Ordnance Survey map (obviously using Oldworld technology tho :D )

Crazy Ivan
26-01-2011, 19:27
Oh, very nice indeed. Many thanks for making this available - downloading it to ye Olde Computer right now! :) It's a great piece of work.

Pacorko
26-01-2011, 21:09
All right, three browsers now, the same error in all, so I asking quite directly: could someone email this thing to me, please?

I suspect that for some absurd reason, Mexican users just don't have access. it either that of the ever shabbier internet connection we seem to have this days in the 'hood.

GoFasta
26-01-2011, 21:17
I cant promise this will work, but its worth a try...

Here is a direct link to the PDF:
http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/Warhammer_Maps/Docs/Large%20Warhammer%20Map%20Color.pdf

Game on!

Gitzman

Bazzal
26-01-2011, 21:49
many thnks tho to print it looks like at least 43 at cheapest for a 4ft version lol

Pacorko
26-01-2011, 22:19
No such luck. Apparently it's quite a busy server and a very big file 'cause the connection keeps resetting itself if tried to access via the link, and just doesn't initaite the download if I use the "save link as..." function with the mouse's left button.

Ah, cyber denial of good... such cruel fate! :p

GoFasta
26-01-2011, 22:39
The file is a 100 meg PDF. I'm sorry i'm out of ideas to get you access to the file, there are no specific restrictions that i am aware of that would make it unavailable to you.

Perhaps you have a friend who can download it and get it for you via a thumb drive?

Gitzman

Teclics
26-01-2011, 22:41
right click, save target as

worked for me

Scythe
27-01-2011, 15:11
Very impressive, quite the effort to create this. Thanks for sharing!:yes:

AndrewGPaul
27-01-2011, 16:15
right click, save target as

worked for me

Good for you. :rolleyes: It didn't work for Pacorko, which was sort of his point.

Earthbeard
27-01-2011, 21:47
Good for you. :rolleyes: It didn't work for Pacorko, which was sort of his point.

Someone's not had his cornflakes today :P

Work's fine for me too.

Antivirus/cookies/web sense? somehow effecting it?

Pacorko
27-01-2011, 22:19
No. Everything that must be set to "approve" is set to do just so. I've downloaded quite few larger files with no problems. Somehow, there's a singular inability on my side to get it. Maybe a thing with the IP's parameters, but if I get tons of lewd spam pics and just can't download or display a PDF map... I really think said parameters are quite bonkers! :p

I'll try to go to a internet cafe later today and see if I can download it.

GoFasta
27-01-2011, 23:47
Pacorko,

Well i didnt want to say it, but i specifically designed the map so that you could not view it. Its a special string i added to a hidden script tied to your username on this thread. Muahahahah.

Im sorry for the confusing getting you access to the file. I dont think there is anything i can do on my end to help you out. All i can suggest is what you seem to be already doing, which is to try obtaining the file from a different computer/location.

Good luck =)

Gitzman

asphodel
28-01-2011, 02:54
Very impressive. I'm curious about how you made the map. What software program(s) did you use?

CaliforniaGamer
28-01-2011, 04:12
Gofasta-

Awesome work! Love it.
Some serious problems tho that are quite amusing.

~at 4 SF in size, none of the small annotations can be read. Its definitely not designed to be printed at 4SF, Im looking at it printed as I type this. It may actually need something like 20SF to be full readable, I dunno. 20SF map is like...well an "Ubermap", no one at Kinko's had ever heard of a 20SF map before...but it gets better!

~At full size, this map is an INSANE ~200"x200". That is 16.7' by 16.7' or a staggering ~280SF.

Lets just say the manager at the local Kinko's I just took this to had to check his drawers (and so did I) after he loaded up the pdf file.

At Kinko's copying prices for color oversized documents....this baby would cost almost $2000 just to print...which would come close to setting a Kinko's record.

I had a whole Kinko's full of employees and onlookers wondering where this thing came from(Yah it came from Sacramento I responded). No one could believe it.

--------
Okay, solved. For all your hard work to be reasonably readable at normal font sizes (8-10pt), we are talking between 30-40 square feet or the size of a med. to large interior wall. Impressive...

hekti
28-01-2011, 09:10
Fantastic job thank you, it will hang on my wall in a few of days.

Tokamak
28-01-2011, 10:43
Let's see if I can turn this in google maps far more convenient.

shelfunit.
28-01-2011, 11:48

I'd love to see the "street view" option for that :D

GoFasta
28-01-2011, 16:37

I'm one step ahead of you. Go to http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/Warhammer_Maps/index.html and you've got it ready to go.

Gitz

GoFasta
28-01-2011, 16:42
Gofasta-

~at 4 SF in size, none of the small annotations can be read. Its definitely not designed to be printed at 4SF, Im looking at it printed as I type this. It may actually need something like 20SF to be full readable, I dunno. 20SF map is like...well an "Ubermap", no one at Kinko's had ever heard of a 20SF map before...but it gets better!

~At full size, this map is an INSANE ~200"x200". That is 16.7' by 16.7' or a staggering ~280SF.

LOL I love it! Nothing wrong with a Kinkos employee having a hard time wrapping his head around this.

Though i do have a few issues with your math because i think you are basing it off a wrong calculation at the begining.

The map is 16,000px squared. It is my intent to have it printed at 300dpi, which would yeild a map just shy of 4.5 feet square. If you have someone print the map at 72dpi, or even 150dpi, the base map size will jump considerably.

So when printing make sure to use 300dpi. It is quite legible at that size as i have printed portions of it myself and have had others from boards post their results as well. Generally people have printed it as a 4x4 shrinking it ever so slightly from its original design to accomodate Kinko's printers (which cap out at 4 feet wide).

The cost from what has been reported is a little over $100 from kinkos, a little more (say $150) if you want it laminated. That of course does not accoutn for any kind of mounting you may or may not want to do.

Hope this helps a little, and makes it a little more palitable to print, because $2,000 is a little steep for me =)

Glad you guys enjoy it!

Gitzman

GoFasta
28-01-2011, 16:48
Very impressive. I'm curious about how you made the map. What software program(s) did you use?

All the work i did was in Photoshop. Lots of layers, lot of brushes, lots of textures and LOTS of layer effects.

Fun facts:
I discovered that a PSD file was not capable of handling this much data and had to move to a PSB file (Large format Photoshop file) half way through the project =).
The uncompressed PSB file capped out at 5.78 GB
The flattened PSB file is just over 1.0 GB
The compressed JPG file ened up at 100 MB (which is the one you guys have access to in the PDF).

Gitzman

Gork or Possibly Mork
28-01-2011, 17:01
Pretty serious stuff. Awesome work again. I commented in the other thread.

Bit of a PS wizard myself though I've never taken on any projects like that.

I have just two questions for you.

1. Im curious how many hours you think you put into this.:eek:
2. How insane are you to decide to partake in this madness? :D

Again awesome work. I bow to your skills and patience.

GoFasta
28-01-2011, 17:25
Lol,

Well the initial project was the Black and White version which many fo you have seen. That was a weekend project with about 15-20 hours in it. The community then gave a bunch of feedback and pointed out errors (both mine and ones that pop up over the different itterations of Warhammer Maps). I fixed a load of those.

Then one day i saw a color map that was much more impressive, so i said, i could maybe do that. It shouldnt take too long right? WRONG.

I started out small, and started replacing one texture at a time, one tree, one city, etc. It then started to have a tremendous amount of scope creep. I kept getting feedback from the community of the B&W map, which kept adding 'cool new things' to the map.

Ultimatly i added a load of new regions, fully colorized it, modernized the content to better coincide with current Warhammer lore and pushed it out to you guys.

Conservativly i'd say i have about 350-400 hours in the project as a whole.

Gitz

CaliforniaGamer
28-01-2011, 17:37
4 SF aka 2x2' (which is kinda the limit for in house Kinkos work), the map laminated was 40 bucks for me. But Im unclear at what dpi they finally printed at, I told them 300.

Now I got the entire map onto 2x2'...should have selected out parts? Like a region and blown that portion up to 2x2?

GoFasta
28-01-2011, 17:51
I think i was unclear...

The map is 16,300 px by 16,300 px give or take 100 px. At 300 dpi, this yields a map that is 4.52 ft x 4.52 ft. (16,300 px / 300 dpi = 54.3 in. 54.3 in / 12 in = 4.52 ft wide & tall) For a total of just over 20 square feet.

Most Kinkos have a printer capable of printing on a roll that is 4 feet wide. This should allow you to print a 4ft x 4ft (16 sq ft.) map at 300dpi. Generally they dont have anything larger than that. If your Kinko's only has a 2 ft wide printer, I suggest heading over to another one it town and asking them.

Hope this helps =)

Gitzman

CaliforniaGamer
28-01-2011, 17:54
I think i was unclear...

The map is 16,300 px by 16,300 px give or take 100 px. At 300 dpi, this yields a map that is 4.52 ft x 4.52 ft. (16,300 px / 300 dpi = 54.3 in. 54.3 in / 12 in = 4.52 ft wide & tall) For a total of just over 20 square feet.

Most Kinkos have a printer capable of printing on a roll that is 4 feet wide. This should allow you to print a 4ft x 4ft (16 sq ft.) map at 300dpi. Generally they dont have anything larger than that. If your Kinko's only has a 2 ft wide printer, I suggest heading over to another one it town and asking them.

Hope this helps =)

Gitzman

Hahaha, that is what I said. There is a COLOSSAL difference between 4.52 square feet and something which is 4.52x4.52'....

in your original post you said ~4-4.5 square feet, which no way this is.

Its HUGE. I dont think old fashioned nautical sea maps are 20SF. This is the supersize of maps.

QUOTE: For those of you interested in printing the map, it is designed to be printed at 300 dpi, which should yeild a map between 4 and 4 1/2 feet squared.

GoFasta
28-01-2011, 18:37
I think we're getting mixed up between 'square feet' and 'feet squared'.

This map is 4.52 feet squared.

Gitz

Gilius
28-01-2011, 18:52
wow, thanks for putting the time into making this, downloading it as I type

CaliforniaGamer
28-01-2011, 19:06
I think we're getting mixed up between 'square feet' and 'feet squared'.

This map is 4.52 feet squared.

Gitz

blah, I just realized I misread it. Indeed SF vs. feet squared!

awesome map tho. I can confirm all of the people at Kinkos at 11pm last night thought so as well.

I called Sacramento, you being from there, Kinkos and got a confirm: the cheapest option they have is printed on heavy bond paper which is 9 bucks SF. That comes out to 144 bucks for the map at 4x4'. Not cheap but not 2K. Their higher quality cardstock/glossy paper etc are much more. Howd you get the price to a mere $100?

GoFasta
28-01-2011, 20:54
A fellow on the DakkaDakka forums posted his experience printing it at Kinko's for a convention last week. He said it was about $150 after having them print it, and then laminate it. I dont know what type of paper he used, perhaps he used a cheaper paper. I dunno.

As an alternative, there are a lot of large format printing companies on the web who will print 'poster size' documents like this and they are generally aroudn $100 with free shipping. Little quality control with this route though.

Gitz

Pacorko
28-01-2011, 21:24

Lets just say the manager at the local Kinko's I just took this to had to check his drawers (and so did I) after he loaded up the pdf file.

At Kinko's copying prices for color oversized documents....this baby would cost almost $2000 just to print...which would come close to setting a Kinko's record.

Now, I know why I couldn't access it...

My computer was trying to protect my wallet! You see, I really am a sucker for maps and have made a few, big print-outs before...

Ah, I think I love this old bundle of chips and plastic a lot more this days. So thoughtful... she must have heard the wife at some point and decided to protect its master against his natural impulses. :p

Algovil
29-01-2011, 00:10
This is fantasic, great work!

To bad the file is so big that acrobatreader has big problems with it. Is it possible to save as a picture, would that help maybe..?

Sand
29-01-2011, 00:42
Lol,

Well the initial project was the Black and White version which many fo you have seen. That was a weekend project with about 15-20 hours in it. The community then gave a bunch of feedback and pointed out errors (both mine and ones that pop up over the different itterations of Warhammer Maps). I fixed a load of those.

Then one day i saw a color map that was much more impressive, so i said, i could maybe do that. It shouldnt take too long right? WRONG.

I started out small, and started replacing one texture at a time, one tree, one city, etc. It then started to have a tremendous amount of scope creep. I kept getting feedback from the community of the B&W map, which kept adding 'cool new things' to the map.

Ultimatly i added a load of new regions, fully colorized it, modernized the content to better coincide with current Warhammer lore and pushed it out to you guys.

Conservativly i'd say i have about 350-400 hours in the project as a whole.

Gitz
Heh. You're crazy.
But it's definitely the good kind of crazy and I thank you for it :)

GoFasta
29-01-2011, 03:08
This is fantasic, great work!

To bad the file is so big that acrobatreader has big problems with it. Is it possible to save as a picture, would that help maybe..?

Here is a direct link to a JPG version of the file.

http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/Warhammer_Maps/Docs/Large%20Warhammer%20Map%20Color.jpg
Gitzman

Krysdagger
29-01-2011, 05:21
Downloading now.. and I thought I would add that I have heard that you can get custom wallpaper done these days and would that not be just awesome for the game room ... wallpaper that was this map ... :) ...

If fact.. that is about to become my next google search :)

Thanks for all the work... was also wondering if you had ever played around with Campaign Cartographer:

http://www.profantasy.com/products/default.asp

Krys

Desert Rain
29-01-2011, 17:21
That map is awesome, and huge - awesomely huge!

Little Joe
30-01-2011, 16:57
A great asset, thanks!

Now to find a wall and way to print it in good ol' Holland.:shifty:

Algovil
31-01-2011, 12:11
Here is a direct link to a JPG version of the file.

http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/Warhammer_Maps/Docs/Large%20Warhammer%20Map%20Color.jpg
Gitzman

Thank you!

arxhon
01-02-2011, 15:04
Dude.

This is sweeter than 15 stripper ninjas in a birthday cake. This will come in handy for my WFRP game. Thanks for all your time and effort in putting this together.:chrome::cool:

GoFasta
07-02-2011, 18:39
Update:

I have posted a full screen GoogleMaps version of the map in response to community feedback.

http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/Warhammer_Maps/index.html

Gitzman