PDA

View Full Version : all your base are belong to us

LordZombie
26-01-2011, 19:47
Not sure if this counts as a rules questions, as I am just looking for what others do about this. A long debated rule in my gaming group is if there is a rule about basing or not. In the rule book (page 80 of the smaller rulebook) it states the following:
"A model should always be mounted on the base it is supplied with. That said, some models aren't supplied with a base. In these cases you should feel free to mount the model on the base of a appropriate size, or simply pretend that the modle is on a suitably sized base."
So what is suitably sized? There is no rules or guild lines to what troop type has what base size. Some monsters are on 50mm x 100mm bases and some are on 50mm x 50mm. Some infantry is on 20mm and some on 25mm. So what is the standard? What do you and your gaming group do?

Trains_Get_Robbed
26-01-2011, 19:52
Dude, I just normally talk to my local G.W managear and friend, he is a great guy, and will traade out any wrong sized bases for the correct size (he has a stash of bases). Other than that, call up/get a redshirt to call up for you so G.W can send the right sized base for you.

This has happened with my both times for mu Great Eagles.

sknich
26-01-2011, 19:52
The base the model is supplied with. Thats the correct size. So when you convert a large model, example HPA, you look up what size the base is on the GW site, then make sure to mount it on that size base. Not really a big issue.

Jind_Singh
26-01-2011, 19:56
Troops pretty much all come with bases - I can't think of any troops that don't - so I'll base them on whatever they are supplied with - typically 20mm for Empire, brets, Elves, etc for human sized infantry (yes, including the wee ones like Dwarves, Gobbos), 25mm for Chaos, Orcs (but not Goblins), Saurus (But not Skinks).

Cav are all on their cav bases with exception of Monsterous cav like blood crushers - who come with their own 50/40mm bases.

The only time I've seen models without a base are war-machines - and they can go on any base as now it's just the model itself which is considered for the gaming purposes, not the base.

Monsters are perhaps the most common units without bases, or units which don't have official models.

In this case common types are looked to for appropriate basing - Beastmen monsters for e.g. would be on monster bases - actually pretty much all of them would be except things like the Hell Pit - which has it's own large base size.

To be honest the only time I've had an issue with basing was with a Black Orc BSB - he was on a boar and looked too big for his cav base - so I put him on a 40MM - one person moaned about it being 'illegal' base size, and in some tournaments people could cry foul play - so I had to rip him off and put him back on a weedy looking cav base. Since then I can't be bothered arguing with people that a model is on a bigger base purely for the looks of it AND NOT because I want to cheat by increasing his frontage.

theorox
26-01-2011, 19:57
The base the model is supplied with. Thats the correct size. So when you convert a large model, example HPA, you look up what size the base is on the GW site, then make sure to mount it on that size base. Not really a big issue.

Yes! Cookie for wise man! :D That's the #1 thing to do!

#2 is find a reasonable base. That being said, never mount orcs on 20mm's. Or Elves on 25mm's. With monsters it's not such a big deal, anything from a 50mm to a Screaming Bell/HPA base is fine. Or, in the case of the Arachnarok, a 100mm apparently!

Theo

Haravikk
26-01-2011, 20:25
It also depends if you want to use the model in tournaments, as in a lot of friendly games it won't usually matter if you want to go with a slightly bigger base size for particularly cool models. For example, I have two Albion Fen Beasts which I'm using as Chaos Spawn, in both cases they should have 40mm x 40mm bases, however I put both of mine on 50mm x 50mm bases as they look much better when a hole is drilled for their pin, and gives a lot more room for doing a nice swamp base.
It's easier to get away with for them as chaos spawn don't fight in units anyway, so ranking up with other things isn't usually an issue, and I can just point out to my opponent that it's a bit wider than normal so we can work out what should be able to attack with that in mind.

But for tournaments you likely won't get away with that, and it does get awkward if you do it with characters that are meant to go in units since it completely changes where they can go in the unit. For example I have crazy tall High Elf mage (on rocks on a plume of water) so I opted for a 25mm x 25mm base to avoid him toppling over all the time and to give me more base to work with. It looks great but I couldn't field it in a tournament as it just doesn't fit in units properly, unless maybe I spent the whole game with him running around alone.

mrtn
26-01-2011, 20:51
"A model should always be mounted on the base it is supplied with. That said, some models aren't supplied with a base. In these cases you should feel free to mount the model on the base of a appropriate size, or simply pretend that the modle is on a suitably sized base."

This only works if you use that to mean "the base that this model is supplied with currently", otherwise I would have half my ungors on 25 mm and half on 20 mm bases. :eyebrows:

Weemo
26-01-2011, 21:12
This only works if you use that to mean "the base that this model is supplied with currently", otherwise I would have half my ungors on 25 mm and half on 20 mm bases. :eyebrows:

well i think that is pretty obvious

RanaldLoec
26-01-2011, 21:23
Have you ever tried fighting a demon army in WFB that is based up for 40k, it was about as much fun as trying to push a pineapple up your bum.

What I'm trying to say is please please please use square bases.

Urgat
26-01-2011, 23:15
I can't see that being such a problem, the 40k round bases fit the footprint of square 25mm bases, which are incidentally what demons use in WFB.

theunwantedbeing
26-01-2011, 23:21
I can't see that being such a problem, the 40k round bases fit the footprint of square 25mm bases, which are incidentally what demons use in WFB.

The basic infantry fit.
Everything else however.....doesn't match up at all.

sulla
27-01-2011, 00:21

:)I just use all of my 25mm ungors as back ranker gors. I'm definately not rebasing them...

Quinn
27-01-2011, 03:48
The only time I remember this being much of an issue was with Dragons. The old Dragons came with 50mm bases and then the HE Dragon model came out with a 50x100mm base. So, I converted a HE Dragon into a Black Dragon and put him on a 50mm base which some people complained about. Of course, if I had left it on the 50 x 100mm base they would have complained about it too (because of the 6" Terror test in 7th Ed). GW used to have an 'Official' base size list in 6th Edition, but for some reason they got rid of it.
I also built 3 Hellcannons a couple months ago and mounted them on hand-made bases, since they don't come with any. The bases were about 70mm wide, so I measured the distance between the wheels (60mm) and simply made the appropriate marks on the front edge of the HC bases so that people could rank up to them. So far, I've played 4 tournaments with one of them in my list and haven't had any complaints. I think as long as you're not trying to take advantage of the rules, most people will be fine with something like this.

Voss
27-01-2011, 05:05
So what is suitably sized? There is no rules or guild lines to what troop type has what base size. Some monsters are on 50mm x 100mm bases and some are on 50mm x 50mm. Some infantry is on 20mm and some on 25mm. So what is the standard? What do you and your gaming group do?

In general, it should be clear.
Most infantry is on 20x20.
Larger infantry, such as orcs and chaos things are on 25x25.
When basing infantry without a base go with whatever is used by the army, which is consistent these days. In the case of O&G orcs-> 25, goblins ->20

Almost all cavalry is on a 25x50. Monstrous cav is either 40x40 or 50x50.
Chariots have chariot bases now and are 50x100.
Ogre sized critters are 40x40.

Monsters are the trickiest these days, since GW has officially tossed standard base size out for this category. Aim for 50x50, but be guided by similar models or if the monster is long rather than tall (such as a hydra), go for a chariot base.

If its based on a similar or existing model, use whatever that creature uses. For example the cygor and ghorgon are pretty close to the chaos giant, and most conversions use that model as a base. In that case, use that base size, even if its not available to be purchased as most bases are.

Making a base isn't that difficult- I made chariot bases long before they actually made the bloody things, simply by glueing cavalry bases (or in some cases 25x25 bases) to cardstock (or a similar stiff, flat material) and filling in the gaps with greenstuff. It provides enough support.

Most of my warmachines are on chariot bases these days- I've got several old metal things where the additional support from a base was useful (TK catapults for example, despite the 14 or so pins in the things). I usually have crew based separately, but sometimes they go on the catapult base itself (which doesn't matter so much in 8th ed). Bolt throwers and similar warmachines, if based, should probably be based on a 50x50 base, like the High elf bolt thrower- the similar base size guideline applies. If the warmachine is a really odd size, I recommend cutting a unique base size for it. 5mm on either side of the model should be quite reasonable- try to get it close to some multiple of 5 or 10, just so it can rank up neatly if need be.

For people trying to use daemons based for 40K in fantasy, I would suggest adapting the movement tray rather than the bases. Its much easier...

As a side note for nostalgia purposes, if you find a really old GW blister with the really old bases (the hexagonal ones) don't use them.

ftayl5
27-01-2011, 05:59
To be honest the only time I've had an issue with basing was with a Black Orc BSB - he was on a boar and looked too big for his cav base - so I put him on a 40MM - one person moaned about it being 'illegal' base size, and in some tournaments people could cry foul play - so I had to rip him off and put him back on a weedy looking cav base. Since then I can't be bothered arguing with people that a model is on a bigger base purely for the looks of it AND NOT because I want to cheat by increasing his frontage.

Him being on a bigger base is an advantage to your opponent not you anyway, especially when he's a BSB.

spikedog
27-01-2011, 07:24
Him being on a bigger base is an advantage to your opponent not you anyway, especially when he's a BSB.

Not when he has a magic item or weapon that damages or effects everyone in B2B.

Stonewyrm
27-01-2011, 08:02
GW does put out base size leaflets once in a while. The latest and therefore "official" one is in French but somewhat readable. It seems to be released shortly after WoC was. Most of it is still correct and/or helpful.

It's called: m2480001_feuille_ref_WFB_PU-Socles-Type

IcedCrow
27-01-2011, 13:41
Have you ever tried fighting a demon army in WFB that is based up for 40k, it was about as much fun as trying to push a pineapple up your bum.

What I'm trying to say is please please please use square bases.

Yes I have. It wasn't really that big a deal to me.

IcedCrow
27-01-2011, 13:44
I have converted some awesome models that I submitted to Chicago's Games Days over the years and some of them I had to put on a bigger base.

When I got Archaon back in the day he came with a cav base (he should be on a monster base). I put him on a monster base and I remember playing a tournament where a guy was griping the whole time that I was a cheating git and did it for an advantage (good luck running Archaon in a unit of knights when he's on a cav base, nothing lines up).

This is one reason I don't do tournaments anymore.

I had a chaos chariot that I based on balsa wood and had someone gripe that the base was too big and again I was doing it for an advantage.

So what I do now since there are people out there who feel that everyone does these things for evil nefarious cheating purposes is to say "this model should be on a 25mm cav base so even though the base is a little bigger, we will say base to base contact exists only on a 25mm zone".

For the most part I have not had issues since.

AM1640
27-01-2011, 18:20
It is nice to see that GW has atleast released an official base size document, but why in French?
Some of the people who have replied have missed the point of LordZombie's question. When asked what to do if no base comes with the model and replying use the base that comes with the model is rather useless. What base do I use for a Ghorgon? I agree with the few people who have stated that they have made their opponent aware that the base size has been altered or is not the usual size. This would all be avoided if GW would just release an offical base size document. I know they look at these forums from time to time...

Orcboy_Phil
27-01-2011, 18:35
It is nice to see that GW has atleast released an official base size document, but why in French?
Some of the people who have replied have missed the point of LordZombie's question. When asked what to do if no base comes with the model and replying use the base that comes with the model is rather useless. What base do I use for a Ghorgon? I agree with the few people who have stated that they have made their opponent aware that the base size has been altered or is not the usual size. This would all be avoided if GW would just release an offical base size document. I know they look at these forums from time to time...

You use the base from the giant kit as thats the model that most similer. (and proberly the model your going to convert from anyway)

BigbyWolf
27-01-2011, 18:52
You use the base from the giant kit as thats the model that most similer. (and proberly the model your going to convert from anyway)

When I was considering continuing with Beasts following their new book, I converted one of my old Doombulls into a Ghorgon, so I used the Doombull base.

red_zebra_ve
28-01-2011, 02:49
I have an older (2003) base chart in English.

Spiney Norman
28-01-2011, 12:25
I have an older (2003) base chart in English.

I think we can see how old it is by the fact that it still has data for Dogs of War on it.

Some of it is well out of date, not to mention the fact that many units don't even appear on it.

Perhaps they should add Base size to the standard profile ;)