PDA

View Full Version : New model/unit syndrome

fluffymcfluff
31-01-2011, 19:34
I don't know if this is something that happens only in our gaming circle, it seems whenever anyone buys a new unit, the first two or three games they just die and/or perform really bad.

It has reached a point where it's comical, doesn't matter what it is. When I bought my predator, missed first two turns then exploded. My little brother got his monolith, first lascannon hit, it explodes. First game with my landraider, yep explodes (by an assault cannon):wtf:.

Does this only happen in our group or has anyone else had similar luck with new models.

We just call it new model syndrome.

jack da greenskin
31-01-2011, 19:42
Yep, saw a stormraven downed the other day. There was a kid who got a new FW bloodletter and it got shot to pieces by warmachines in his first few games.

Never really happens much to me, I'll be honest, but I never really plonk down something so good it changes the dynamics of my army, so I dont care as much if it does.

I think it could be to do with your expectations for the unit though, and the fact you remember it more when it goes to pot. Look at the 3 examples you gave. In the same time, how many new units did you see hit the table? Twice as many or more I'd say.

Aslong as its not me, new model syndrome is HILARIOUS.

skarsniktheunclean
31-01-2011, 19:42
Just like new army syndrome,happens all the time,and i should know,i cant remember how many new armies ive started,currentley playing ravenwing....................lets just say it hasnt gone so well!!!

cheers
matt

fluffymcfluff
31-01-2011, 19:55
The example I gave above were just a few, I could carry on. Just trying to get the point across and keep it short. I just think its funny because it keeps happening, in fact playing a game today with my friends new wraithguard and wraith lord. We shall see if my garage is cursed or not.

ColShaw
31-01-2011, 20:02
Happens to me all the time. I'm currently painting a whole Cadian army, not intending to use them until they're all finished. That way I figure I'll get absolutely CRUSHED the first game or two, as the entire ARMY suffers from NMS. Then they'll be fine.

It's best to just bite the bullet and take it like a man.

TheWarmaster
31-01-2011, 20:17
I don't know if it counts yet, but I played my first game with my Dark Eldar recently; My Kabalites and Hellions just died. Wyches, whom I didn't expect much of, gave me 2 kill points. I found that very...interesting.

wyvirn
31-01-2011, 20:23
I think it is because you don't know how to use the unit in the best way. For example, I am a new CSM player, and the first battle I tried I threw my demon prince into a large squad of Slugga boyz. He was overwhelmed by the number of attacks, and I expected that. But I am glad that I did that, because now I can compare him to something I know, such as a Hive Tyrant. Because I realized he is a bit more fragile, I take that into account to make him take on the right targets to survive longer.
Also, If you play with a small group consistantly, they could be equally unfamiliar with the new models, and don't want any large surprises later, so that it is high on their target priority.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
31-01-2011, 20:28
I must admit I don't seem to suffer from this round here (famous last words) though no one else seems to either. Maybe we are just amazing at using new units round here ;).

Bunnahabhain
31-01-2011, 21:24
Not knowing how to use the new unit does tend to explain it most of the time. Selective memory as well.

New model syndrome never seems to strike the third Russ, second squad of Lootas, etc, etc. I've also not had it strike my manticore or such like, as I was used to using IDF artillery already...

Lord Inquisitor
31-01-2011, 21:28
I think another part of it is the shiny new model might grab your opponent's attention and get disproportionate incoming fire.

Okuto
31-01-2011, 21:29
When I first got my Tau army I tried to play as fluffy as I could(my ignorance) and nids walked all over me........then I decided to buy the new valk for my IG and it decided to blow up without doing much......

I also remember buying the old steam tank for 6th edition and it failed horribly in it's first game.......though a proxied helblaster did wonders

toonboy78
31-01-2011, 21:30
also applies to your best painted models. they are always the firat to go....

NixonAsADaemonPrince
31-01-2011, 21:37
also applies to your best painted models. they are always the firat to go....

I must admit that I definitely suffer from that. My lovingly painted Thousand Sons always fail as many saves as think they can get away with without me actually melting them.

cromanobtroir
31-01-2011, 21:56
Yeah i get this when i stray away from the Eldar

ColShaw
31-01-2011, 22:02
I think another part of it is the shiny new model might grab your opponent's attention and get disproportionate incoming fire.

This is absolutely true. My poor Conscripts with bright white body armor used to suffer from this. Of course, they were designed to... :skull:

TheLaughingGod
31-01-2011, 22:15
It's not a "Syndrome" it's a result of you not knowing how to use your model the first time you field it.

madden
31-01-2011, 22:22
It's true it's real!! Any time a new unit of mine goes into battle they fail badly and die to a stiff wind but after the first outing they perform as expected, seems to happen with both systems. Sometimes but not offten the opposite happens and they beat all the odds and do really really well then never perform again(don't even get average) but I still use them.
As to best painted it happens more often for longer, gamer supperstition but for me it's true.

Zurken
01-02-2011, 00:52
Haha, the first tournament I fielded a deathcompany they where game winning. In one particular game the 6 angry dudes (with only a power weapon) killed of 3 untis of chaos space marines (the, in the end, lone power weapon guy killed the last 2 plauge marines at the last turn)

impala
01-02-2011, 03:12
I find my newest and shiniest units perform spectacularly their first time out. Sometimes for a few games in a row. Then my dice desert the unit...

Geep
01-02-2011, 03:47
It's not always an issue of 'attention grabbing' and 'not knowing how to use it'.

I think one of the most memorable times I had this happen was vs my friend's IG. He had converted up a brand new tank, back when target priority checks had to be taken and glancing hits could kill. I didn't actually have much to fear from his new tank, so tried to shoot at another, only to fail the target priority test, have to shoot the new tank and destroy it with a very lucky glance. It's true that the new models simply attract death...

Chem-Dog
01-02-2011, 04:03
Not knowing how to use the new unit does tend to explain it most of the time. Selective memory as well.

These two things combined are pretty much the core of it.

Additionally, it's good that your new unit gets all of it's bad luck out of the way early on, lulling the enemy into a false sense of security as it's Obviously rubbish, then you'll get to a stage where it's immune to direct nuclear strikes and never misses...:D

Unfortunately I have one tank that's permanantly set in "new" mode. In it's career (back when it was first detailed in the codex) my Leman Russ Vanquisher has managed a grand total of ONE glancing hit against a Land Raider, it's so bad in games my opponants actually ignore it unless there's nothing else close enough to engage.

tmcan8
01-02-2011, 04:59
Here in my circle of friends its known as the 'silver rule'.

Rick Blaine
01-02-2011, 13:28
It's not a "Syndrome" it's a result of you not knowing how to use your model the first time you field it.

No, it also happens the first game after a model is painted, even if you've been using that model unpainted for years.

The syndrome is so reliable I take it into account in my battle plans.

fluffymcfluff
01-02-2011, 15:27
Well the curse continues, had a game last night against eldar with a brand new shiny, out of the box wraithlord. First turn he missed both shots with his starcannon. Then my 5 man sniper team killed him in one turn with no rending wounds. I laughed for good while as well did my opponet, were just used to it I guess.

Conandoodle
04-02-2011, 06:03
and the frustrating part .. because you're so happy with your new and superbly painted unit .. you keep throwing them out there.

I've lost count how many times my SM sniper scouts and failed to do anything of merit .. yet I still find room in army for them.

prowla
04-02-2011, 06:49
No, it also happens the first game after a model is painted, even if you've been using that model unpainted for years.

The syndrome is so reliable I take it into account in my battle plans.

It might be also called "fancy new unit on board"-syndrome. I think it's combination of three things:

1) you knowing you have something new and cool on board and thinking it will devastate everything, so you just throw it around (also, less experience how to use the model),
2) you opponent seeing you have something new and fancy and throwing his weight around to drop it, and
3) you knowing it's a new and fancy model, you keep your attention at it and when it happens to fail, you just scream "nooo new model syndrome it's all true!"
;)

Some that I remember from recent times:

1. Varghulf (badass WFB monster) charges a unit of crossbowmen and gets mugged to death before striking a blow.
2. Armoured Sentinel ends up going toe-to-toe with a Furioso Dreadnought, you can guess what happened next.
3. Penal Legion squad outflanks from completely wrong direction, jog around a bit and breath a sigh of relief as the game ends.
4. Special Weapon squad fire a volley after volley of grenades at the enemy, killing no-one. They are actually ignored by the enemy that pass them by!

I know this syndrome all too well. The voice of reason says it's a combination of inexperience and additional attention from the opponent, but voice of superstition says darker things...

I can easily imagine this in my Cadian Regiment: "Oh, newcomers again? Those poor bastards just don't know what awaits them."

carldooley
04-02-2011, 15:15
I have my harpy (http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae43/carldooley/conversions/?action=view&current=HarpyConversion1.jpg) that I fielded once at a tournament. It did abysmal, and even died to a DSing LR Redeemer's Assault Cannon on the turn that it came into play. I've never really had the heart to field it again.

Then also, there is my executioner. It lives up to its name much of the time. . . it is always the first model off the table.

Navar
04-02-2011, 15:32
This is funny because around here it seems that the new models always do great. The first time I dropped a Land Raider Redeemer versus my buddies Necrons it tabled him. When I went to Laz/plaz Razorbacks they hit with almost every shot. My Trygon did awesome the first few games I played him, and now he dies fairly often.

I do like the idea of painting your constructs white though. I may have to do something similar with my skavenslaves (though red may be a better color.)

That's an impressive model carldooley. I'm not least bit surprised that it got the curse quite badly.;)

fluffymcfluff
04-02-2011, 20:33
That's an impressive model carldooley. I'm not least bit surprised that it got the curse quite badly.;)

That thing will replace the bus trip with the Bay City Rollers in my nightmares:cries:.

Metzler123
04-02-2011, 20:44
I’ve seen this, and there is a logical explanation to it if you are playing against a regular opponent. The new thing is an unknown and potentially scarier entity to them, so they shoot it first! We're afraid of what we don't understand.

carldooley
04-02-2011, 21:01
Actually, I hold to the axiom that you target the thing that is most similar to yourself first.

New model/unit sydrome is a much better excuse. :p

Ghost-13
05-02-2011, 00:22
I have the exact opposite effect for me. First game with my striking scorpions they kills about half of my opponents army. First game with my Warwalkers were dropping entire squads a turn. Its what keeps me motivated to continuously paint.

Son of Morkai
05-02-2011, 00:52
I love Assault Marines. I know how to use them. I know my Tactical Squads eat Plaguebearers for breakfast, poop them out, and kick their faces in. And then step on their nads.

So when I added some Assault Marines to my Imperial Fists and threw them at an equal sized squad of Plaguebearers, I expected it to be an easy win. Or more likely a short stalemate.

They lost combat.

Ran.

Regrouped.

Got assaulted.

Lost combat.

Ran.

Off the table.

Garven Dreis
05-02-2011, 01:02
These two things combined are pretty much the core of it.

Additionally, it's good that your new unit gets all of it's bad luck out of the way early on, lulling the enemy into a false sense of security as it's Obviously rubbish, then you'll get to a stage where it's immune to direct nuclear strikes and never misses...:D

Unfortunately I have one tank that's permanantly set in "new" mode. In it's career (back when it was first detailed in the codex) my Leman Russ Vanquisher has managed a grand total of ONE glancing hit against a Land Raider, it's so bad in games my opponants actually ignore it unless there's nothing else close enough to engage.

I'm the opposite, my Gryphonne IV Vanquisher hardly ever hits, but when it does hit, blammo.

Mini77
05-02-2011, 10:12
I spent a fortnight converting and painting a Master Apothecary (for the downloadable rules from FW). First game I used him he fired his plasma pistol once, it got hot, he failed both his armour save and feel no pain rolls, and then got eaten by a Trygon. Awesome.

Angelwing
07-02-2011, 07:46
It's actually a rule. If your new stuff / freshly painted stuff doesn't die horribly in it's first game then you cheated! :p
I've actually thought of pencilling it into the main rule book.:D

MarcoSkoll
07-02-2011, 16:42
I will add the corollary that if you borrow a unit from someone else, or proxy it to "see how well it does", it always does disproportionately well. When you then buy yourself said unit, it is the most useless thing you have ever seen.

4th Ed using Space Marines. I borrowed a squad of SM Terminators vs. Tau
Deep strike onto table on Turn 2, completely destroyed a Hammerhead with assault cannon fire, then got fired upon by more than half the remaining enemy. Thirty two 2+ saves and eight 5+ Inv saves later, at odds of 2,242,693 to 1 against, they had not taken a single wound.
When I got my own, they all died in hand-to-hand with a single Ethereal.

6th Edition Fantasy using Empire. Borrowed some Pistoliers vs. Beastmen, because my Spearmen had proven utterly useless in the last two games, so I figured I'd give something else a go.
Said pistoliers then wiped out half the opposing army pretty much single handed.
The ones I later bought were unable to do more than kill a couple of enemy before their horrible, horrible deaths.

LonelyPath
07-02-2011, 22:59
When I got my first Grey Knights Dreadnought it performed horribly (went down to the very first shot of the game IIRC), after that it performed so well against daemons I nicknamed it Hammer of Daemons (it held up a entire flank of a CSM army in one game, and 2 bloodthirsters in a Apocalypse battle). Then when I painted it, again it performed dismally for the first gane and since then has only even been taken out once and that was in Apocalypse when a Rok landed right on top of it. We all laughed that it took a giant asteroid to blow the thing up after all the shots and power klaws that had tried to penetrate it.

My Doom of Malan'tai did well in the first game, after that my opponents never needed to worry about it since it performed so badly. Then when I painted it up, it suddenly performed well again (27 Ultra marines in a single turn dying to it? thank you very much, heheh). Likewise, my Mawloc died to a DS mishap in its first game and has since almost always landed on target and been worth its weight in gold. heck, the last time it went up against Guard it scattered between 2 LRBTs, they couldn't move completely off the template and went boom and then when everything that could fire upon it did so, t didn't even have to roll a single saving throw. A couple of turns later it took out the last LRBT.

On the other hand, some models like my Vindicator have never performed well, but I like it and still field it for chuckles. if it gets a shot off then I'm happy.

jt.glass
09-02-2011, 14:08
When I got my own [Terminators], they all died in hand-to-hand with a single EtherealMy god, I thought I rolled badly for my terminators, but that has to take the cake.

jt.