PDA

View Full Version : Abrakhan Guard: worth the points?

Codsticker
31-01-2011, 21:12
Title says it all really...

My initial impression (without ever having played a game of WoTR...) is that they don't look like good value. However, when you compare them to a regular Command Company of Haradrim with a chieftan and banner bearer their cost is a smidge cheaper untill you start adding extra companies.

So... when you consider the bonuses, are they worth their points?

ForgottenLore
31-01-2011, 21:26
Like you said, the more companies you add, the less cost effective they are. If you would take those command options anyway, the Golden King is pretty economical for the might he provides, but the troops themselves are just overpriced Haradrim.

If my math in another post was correct, the Golden King and 2 companies are still economical (though 2 companies may not be tactically sound). If you buy more companies then you start paying for the Golden Hoard rule and his extra might.

Codsticker
31-01-2011, 21:39
I was thinking three companys, maximum in terms of value.

As a side note, it looks- juding by the picture beside the entry in the WoTR rules book- that to represent the AG all you really need to do is paint them differently than regular Haradrim. Am I correct?

ForgottenLore
31-01-2011, 21:55
They came out with models for the Abrakhan guard after the rulebook was done

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat460031a&prodId=prod140003a

A lot of people don't like them but I think they are totally cool looking. Shape they are metal and I can't use them.

Also an official mini for the golden king

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat460030a&prodId=prod140004a

don't know if that is in the book or not.

All that said, WotR players are not as retentive as warhammer ones and using plastic Haradrim painted differently should be fine with virtually everyone.

HRM
31-01-2011, 22:23
Those AG models are wicked, though, I gotta say.

Codsticker
01-02-2011, 04:47
Those AG models are wicked, though, I gotta say.

Not bad at all, and I may be out of line but I don't think that $18 is out of line for 3 minis (cheaper still at a discounters).

I have been looking for an excuse to buy Perry Bros. Azerbaijani Swordsmen (pic below) though, and the Abrakhan Guard may be it.

HRM
01-02-2011, 10:26
Not bad at all, and I may be out of line but I don't think that $18 is out of line for 3 minis (cheaper still at a discounters).

I have been looking for an excuse to buy Perry Bros. Azerbaijani Swordsmen (pic below) though, and the Abrakhan Guard may be it.

You may not be out of line, but you definitely won't have the prevailing sentiment.

I think I actually prefer the legit Abrakhan Guard models.

ForgottenLore
01-02-2011, 17:47
I don't think that $18 is out of line for 3 minis.

If your OK paying $150 for a 3 company formation rather than $30 more power to you.

Codsticker
01-02-2011, 20:41
I am looking at that in the context of GW's pricing. My most recent 40k Army was Grey Knights.

HRM
01-02-2011, 21:49
If your OK paying $150 for a 3 company formation rather than $30 more power to you.

I did just this for my Outriders. As a result, they're ALWAYS in my army, no exceptions, haha.

Firmlog
11-02-2011, 11:54
I like the models too, but they are way expensive. both in dollars and game points. I'd rather save the points and add another hero to a unit.