PDA

View Full Version : Is the Skaven Battalion good value?

Balerion
31-01-2011, 22:38
Hey skitterers, quick question for you all from a new Skaven player; is the Skaven Battalion a good deal and/or starting point for a Skaven army, or does it include a bunch of units that will probably be left behind once better things are added to a collection?

I seem to remember hearing that Rat Ogres aren't a fantastic unit these days. How about the Plague Monks?

Are all of the models in the battalion the newer plastics?

Thanks for the help.

MarshalFaust
31-01-2011, 23:14
i think its pretty good all of the units are useful. Rat ogres are brilliant now but your going to want at least 6. its actually a better deal than it seems at first since you can build more giant rats than is advertised you should be able to get at least a 25 man unit them.

Turtleking
31-01-2011, 23:42
I find my Rat Ogres to get shot to hell before they get into combat. Even having said that, I think the Battalion is a good deal. Most the things in it will get used in a 2k point list, if you are going to run Rogr then it's a no brainer.

Balerion
01-02-2011, 01:34
Cool. I love Rat Ogres, as far as their fluff/appearance goes, so I'll happily use them if they're passable units (even if they are not an optimal choice).

RMacDeezy
01-02-2011, 02:52
here's (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277474&highlight=battalion+deals) a great thread about the battalion deals. skaven is about halfway down the first page

Balerion
01-02-2011, 03:56
Thanks for the link, some good info there.

The last question I have is just whether or not all the models in the Skaven box are the newest sculpts. I would assume they are, is that correct?

Torpedo Vegas
01-02-2011, 04:03
There are new rat ogres, though non are available outside the IoB set.

Balerion
01-02-2011, 04:05
The IoB Rat Ogres are single-pose models, though, right? Whereas the battalion/box set Rat Ogres are more poseable?

russellmoo
01-02-2011, 05:14
For a starting skaven player this might be the cheapest way to get a good size skaven force-

Buy 2 Battalion boxes, and the skaven models from 2 IoB box sets- you now have- 8 Ratogres, 160 clanrats/slaves, 40 Plaguemonks, 1 model to act as general, another that can be converted into a BSB, 2 WFT's, 2 PWM, a large unit of giant rats, and 2 warlock engineers all for around $300- this gives you a solid base army of around 2000 pts- from which you can then build any type of skaven force- if you like skryre add in some more warmachines- Moulder, just buy one or 2 HPA's, magic- buy a screaming bell- plague pick up a plague furnace, and some plague censor bearers-

RMacDeezy
01-02-2011, 13:40
There are new rat ogres, though non are available outside the IoB set.

for shoppers in the US, thewarstore is actually selling pieces of the IoB separately, i.e. both weapons teams together, rat ogres and packmasters together etc.

orkz222
01-02-2011, 15:22
Nope, IoB is the best value for skaven. You get same amount of clanrats and new rat ogres. You can also sell off the HE and extra rule book.

the rat ogres and packmaster are old in the battalion.

rat ogres are not really useful in games, plague monks are mostly used for pushing the furnace. Plague monks are tough, have lots of attacks and cheap.

stonegiant
02-02-2011, 08:28
I found you could make even more Giant Rats (two to a base) with the extras from the Plague monks sprues. I think the battalion comes with 8 or 10 "proper" Giant Rats, but using the battalion and an additional box of Plague Monks, I have a unit of 25 Giant Rats - a good mix of the larger Giant Rats and the smaller "Plague Rats".

linuvian
02-02-2011, 15:36
The ratogres in the batallion set are not 'old', they are current models and more poseable versions of rat ogres than the ones in IoB - I actually like them alot and make a unit of 6 RO actually look like a unit as opposed to those two from IoB that are monopose and all looking exactly the same...

The batallion also gives plague monks (awesome unit!) and giant rats, none of which are available in IoB.

IoB and the batallion are different and contain different models. Both are great deals, the IoB being better, but the batallion is great for expanding as it has more RO, and then giant rats and plague monks.

All models are current.

EDIT - Also the IoB doesn't have any packmasters - it has a master moulder with warp-prod. So if you want some packmasters you need the batallion box

Sygerrik
03-02-2011, 03:29
Rat Ogres can be fantastic in the game. You just can't throw them down and expect a good result. You need at least 6 and they need to not be the main centerpiece threat of your army-- I use them in the frontline along with an HPA and a Furnace and I find that divides the enemy's fire enough that they usually make it into combat. They are faster than most "big guys" at I4 and they put out a stupid number of attacks. With the downfall of PCBs Rat Ogres have become our only real melee-oriented Special choice, as Monks lack hitting power and mostly serve as caddies to the insanely powerful Furnace.

So, yeah. Get IoB AND a Battalion if you want. You'll need all the Clanrats and you need at least 6 Rat Ogres to a unit to make them great.

Eddiethehott
03-02-2011, 07:37
Battalion is great, but I was depressed at how it was the EXACT same as the old Skaven Battalion. I was hoping for some Stormvermin in lieu of the Rogres or Monks.

Kroq9Gar
19-02-2012, 19:33
i think its pretty good all of the units are useful. Rat ogres are brilliant now but your going to want at least 6. its actually a better deal than it seems at first since you can build more giant rats than is advertised you should be able to get at least a 25 man unit them. Look on the sprues, combine with plague monks and that's 30 giant rats (some may be different sizes). Split up into 2X15 and use 1 packmaster each and leave the last 1 for the rat ogres. Amazingly, more rats come in the plague monks than rat ogres. 1 rat ogre sprue in a box has 10. 1 plague monk sprue has 5, but there are 4 of them. DO IT, JUST FIND BASES. This is why I get battalion rather than IOB (as well as plague monks)

Disposable Hero
19-02-2012, 19:47
Just be carefull not to buy an old batallion set. At least not at full price, as the clanrats are the older models.