PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new army.

Vipus
01-02-2011, 01:16
After having a hiatus playing other tabletop gaming systems, I've recently felt the need to return to 40k. I do have a reasonable amount of Black Templars I could use, but I was after a fresh start with a new army and so was looking for some advice and/or list suggestions. I was thinking:

-World Eaters! Was thinking lots of Berserkers with transports, and maybe some Dreads, Termies and perhaps Kharn? (Would love to include Kharn and use the pre-heresy colour scheme)

-Deathskulls Orks. As many Lootas I can fit in as possible, Nobs with transports etc.

-OR wait for the DH and/or Necrons re-release.

I'm not particularly looking for anything majorly competative, just something to ease me back into the game and can perhaps later transition into something slightly more competative.

Thanks!

Dvora
01-02-2011, 01:19
From your choices, it seems that you prefer close combat armies. I would go with the World Eaters.

cromanobtroir
01-02-2011, 01:43
Same boat here its really hard to choose world eaters seem cool but try stepping away from the space marines try eldar, decent close combat elites with howling banshees scorpions and harlequins. Fast attack exactly what it says on the tin, Warp spiders,shining spears and swooping hawks, enough close combat there to tear a hole in any army.

Reflex
01-02-2011, 01:53
I'd suggest you get into an army you like the fluff of at the moment.

Because: if you like necorns or DH, I'd wait. However, if you like orks of emo marines you can start right away.

thoughtfoxx
01-02-2011, 07:10
I have been toying with this myself of late. Can I recommend getting the BA codex? It should give you the kind of army you seem to like playing and give you access to some of the newer and cooler GW marine models that have been relased recently. That said, I would also use a unique colour scheme or perhaps even use the Flesh Tearers scheme so that you have more of a 'generic' marines option as well.

Vipus
01-02-2011, 10:17
Well, my main interest is currently the World Eaters (I love their fluff and look), closely followed by a Deathskulls ork clan (love the idea of mega shooty orks).

If possible I was looking for some info on both or either armies, like:

Is Kharn any good to run with a World Eaters list?
What would a decent world eaters list look like? (Any dreads or termies? Love the models and the FW dreads.)
Same goes for the Orks.

Thanks.

Vipus
02-02-2011, 20:27
Still looking for some advice if anyone is willing to give any!

Stormhammers
02-02-2011, 20:36
Go with IG! very shooty and the modelling possibilites are nearly endless.

Simo429
02-02-2011, 20:43
Saw a great Pre Heresy World Eaters at Maelstrom the other week using the Blood Angels codex.

tezdal
02-02-2011, 23:09
Go for World Eaters, best shock troops in the galaxy.

New Cult King
03-02-2011, 00:16
I don't think Termies can be Berzerkers in this rulebook, so they won't be as brutal as they used to be.

However, a World Eaters army, with a Dread or two, and Kharn leading the pack, is brutal on the table. It looks great too, with pre- or post-heresy schemes. I say go for it :) And you'll need less minis than an Ork army too, so less time painting, more time playing!

Vipus
03-02-2011, 01:11
I don't think Termies can be Berzerkers in this rulebook, so they won't be as brutal as they used to be.

However, a World Eaters army, with a Dread or two, and Kharn leading the pack, is brutal on the table. It looks great too, with pre- or post-heresy schemes. I say go for it :) And you'll need less minis than an Ork army too, so less time painting, more time playing!

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

A Codex should be on it's way here, I'll get a list up in the next few days and bug people for criticism and tips.

Bestaltan
03-02-2011, 02:43
Go with Orks! very shooty (and sometimes even hitting) and the modelling possibilites are nearly endless. And dang it, we're GREEN!

Had to fix that for you. There were some inconsistencies.

Stormhammers
03-02-2011, 08:01
haha thank you, and that is true, orks are much easier to convert. Its easier to scratch build things too.