PDA

View Full Version : The most cost efficient Battalion

drmckool
01-02-2011, 03:31
Hello

I just saw the thread about if the Skaven Battalion is any good and that got me to thinking. what in your mind is the most cost efficient battalion? by this i mean models and useful units compared to the cost of the box.

For me I think it is Dwarves, everything in that box is very useful i think.

vinny t
01-02-2011, 03:32
Ogres. Two of those boxes, some minor conversions, and there's an army

ftayl5
01-02-2011, 05:21
The Ogre Battalion is by far the best as vinny said. A close second would be either the Skaven or Dwarf ones, as they all have stuff which will always be useful. As a starter army, building block, etc etc

Agoz
01-02-2011, 05:35
Yeah, the ogre battalion, you get 150$ worth of stuff for 90$ and if you don't need extra ironguts or leadbelchers, it comes with the parts to make all of the ogres regular bulls, not to mention that you can easily convert excess ogres into character models!

Forsak3n
01-02-2011, 11:59
one of the main reasons that the OK Battalion is so great is because the bulls, IG's, and LB's bodies are all the same and the heads, arms, etc. are interchangeable. that only is something that no other army can do with a battalion.

GenerationTerrorist
01-02-2011, 13:13
I'd say the Warriors of Chaos one. You will use every single unit in the box for any standard army list. A pair of Battalions (including some minor conversion work) could easily add a Lord, BSB and a Sorcerer to complete a 2000pt army.

sssk
01-02-2011, 13:29
There's a few threads on this already. At one stage someone summarised the points and money value of each battalion. You should probably try hunting that down (afraid I don't have time just now).

Chaos and Evil
01-02-2011, 13:38
Anything from Mantic Games (http://www.manticgames.com/Shop-Home/Undead/Undead-Army-Set/Product/Undead-Army-Set-110-Figures.html), heh. :D:rolleyes:

RMacDeezy
01-02-2011, 13:42
look here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277474&highlight=battalion+deals). best battalion discussion so far, i think

Gork or Possibly Mork
01-02-2011, 13:53
Ogres hands down. With the bodies being interchangeable and you can get 20+ extra gnoblars yeah what's not to like. Everything is useful and with two battalions you've got an army.

StarFyreXXX
01-02-2011, 16:40
One thing....the undead and lizardmen can easily be expanded with some easy converting.

Skinks are aquatic. You can convert the skinks so that each model becomes 2-3, by intelligent positioning/cutting, to make them appear as they are emerging from a swamp/water.

Perfectly valid as they are aquatic.

In 6e, with the spawnings, if you made a tzunki army (aquatic), i've seen people make huge armies with very few boxes of saurus/skinks by positioning and cutting.

Brilliant way to save money and have a unique army.

You can do something similar with any skeletons/zombies...have them rising from teh ground, etc. They are undead; really, can't really say it's incorrect :P

Sanjay

catbarf
01-02-2011, 16:43
Take two Ogre Battalions, build the Leadbelchers as Bulls, add some characters and a Scraplauncher or two, and you have a solid 2000pt army.

Tae
01-02-2011, 17:45
Lizardmen.

Two boxes + a frog givees you the TG bunker, two units of saurus, enough skinks to fill a bus and a sizeable unit of cav (one of which could easily be made into a hero).

So one extra model will give you an army that does everything - magic, shoot and combat. Yes the Ogres are probably the best value, but (imo) the Lizardmen one gives you a much better army.

Cragum
01-02-2011, 18:43
Lizardmen.

Two boxes + a frog givees you the TG bunker, two units of saurus, enough skinks to fill a bus and a sizeable unit of cav (one of which could easily be made into a hero).

So one extra model will give you an army that does everything - magic, shoot and combat. Yes the Ogres are probably the best value, but (imo) the Lizardmen one gives you a much better army.

The problem i would find with that box set is needing the heavy back up and metal monstrositys that lizardmen need.

true the TG are a grand unit but the problem i find with it is too many foot based things...

Ovassilias
02-02-2011, 07:41
Best battalion imo is the dwarf one.
You get TWO war machines (yeah, its not hard to make a base for the second machine, get some plasticard/balsa wood and you have one cannon+one organ).
You get one shooting unit and two rank and file.
With two dwarf battalions and 2-3 characters you get a 2k army with 4 machines and 90 dwarfs (the 6 extra are gonna be used for crew for the 2 machines).
And its a good army for 8th, at least better then ogres atm.

I will even break it down how easy it is to make a 2k+ army.
2x Battalions+BSB+Runesmith+Lord/Thane (on shieldbearers)= 137/220 USD (GW prices)

Converting a base for the second machine from the battalion and using the 6 extra dwarfs as crew (really easy to do and cheap).
By not gluing the dwarf on top of the shield and using a pin so u can use him on foot OR on shieldbearers as a Lord.

Making the rank and file dwarfs 2x25 strong in any setup you like, H&S, GW's, Longbeards and even Hammerers by cutting the 2h axes and using the hammer heads of the warrior sprues (very easy conversion as well).
These leaves you with 8 excess dwarfs bodies to make 2x20 strong shooting dwarfs (crossbow/gun) with command, the sprues have enough hands to do that and all the dwarf bodies are the same.

Expanding the army a bit you buy 2 grudge throwers for 41/66 USD and there you go.
All the machines you will ever need/want for 8th edition and enough dwarfs to experiment with lists.
The only problem is to like the army.....:shifty: