PDA

View Full Version : Sanguinary Terminators?

GenerationTerrorist
01-02-2011, 13:23
Hi guys. For fluff reasons, I am running a near 100% pure Sanguinary army (Dante, Honour Guard, 5 units of SG and 3 SP at 1750pts, with the addition of Sanguinor and 5 Vanguard Vets at 2250pts), and having lots of fun with it in games. I am, however, wondering if anyone could tell me whether in the background that members of the Sanguinary Guard would wear Terminator Armour on specific missions?

Reason being that I'd love to paint up 5 Golden Terminators with TH/SS, as well as a Terminator SP, and lump them all in a Golden painted Storm Raven.

Except, I can't seem to see anything anywhere, in terms of history, that says that Terminator Armour is ever worn by Sanguinary Guard. Obviously, the Priests can (as per the Army List), but what about regular SG?

Sorry if this is a bit of an inane thread!

Cheers,
GT

Godzooky
01-02-2011, 13:30
I'd certainly like to see you model them. I reckon those death-mask helmets would look sweet on termies.

SG are the cream, but then they don't give access to termie armour to just any chump, either, eh? I'd say members of the SG would have the gravitas required to secure use of TDA. :)

Plog, please.

Sgt John Keel
01-02-2011, 13:38
I'd certainly like to see you model them. I reckon those death-mask helmets would look sweet on termies.

SG are the cream, but then they don't give access to termie armour to just any chump, either, eh? I'd say members of the SG would have the gravitas required to secure use of TDA. :)

Plog, please.

On the other hand, the Codex notes that the members of the Sanguinary Guard, unlike the First Company veterans, are not free to choose their armament and instead fight in and with traditional ceremonial wargear.

Wicksy
01-02-2011, 13:42
As this ^^^ i.e. artificier armour, glaive encarmines and the wrist bolter things.

However there's nothing stopping you from doing this. Dante's personal entourage perhaps? I'd love to see something like this. Dunno how a gold stormraven would look, perhaps a lot of gold over red? I'd love to see what you do though.

Cry of the Wind
01-02-2011, 13:42
Based on their entry in the Codex I would say no. It mentions how unlike other veterans they may not choose their wargear but must wear and use the traditional weapons of their calling. Their armour is considered the most revered in the Chapter (though the Terminator entry calls that armour most revered too...) so to change it would probably dishonour their position by using non-traditional equipment.

That said I could see a Successor Chapter that has since lost all its suits in battle or were newly founded and never had any to begin with using Terminator Armour as a stand in. It still wouldn't be a true Sanguinary Guard though.

Of course your idea sounds cool and I'd love to see them made. If nothing else regular Honour Guard wear golden armour and they shoud have a Terminator equivalent for the 1st Company even if the rest of the Chapter does not. Kinda silly for the 1st Captain in his Terminator Armour running around with an Honour Guard of Assault Marines...

AndrewGPaul
01-02-2011, 13:55
On the other hand, the Codex notes that the members of the Sanguinary Guard, unlike the First Company veterans, are not free to choose their armament and instead fight in and with traditional ceremonial wargear.

There's nothing stopping other units painting themselves gold if they want, though. :) Have your golden Terminators in their golden blingraven if you want. They might not be Sanguinary Guard, but they can still be fabulous, darling! :)

Sgt John Keel
01-02-2011, 14:01
There's nothing stopping other units painting themselves gold if they want, though. :) Have your golden Terminators in their golden blingraven if you want. They might not be Sanguinary Guard, but they can still be fabulous, darling! :)

The machine spirit of the armour apparenty dislikes repaints. (Why the Deathwatch leaves a shoulder pad in the original colours.) ;)

Thalenchar
01-02-2011, 14:06
Agree with the above. Strictly speaking I doubt SG ever fight in terminator armour. However, there's nothing stopping you from including gold-armoured terminators, and giving them the death masks heads too. Well, nothing but pure fluff restrictions that is. Still, you include Vanguard in your army too sometimes. What colour did you paint those? What about the Priests? If you're doing those gold or mostly gold there's no reason not to do gold terminators! (And to appease the Machine Spirit you could leave maybe a shoulderpad red? If it works for the Deathwatch.... ;) )
I say go for it! Will look awesome!

AndrewGPaul
01-02-2011, 14:14
The machine spirit of the armour apparenty dislikes repaints. (Why the Deathwatch leaves a shoulder pad in the original colours.) ;)

It didn't seem to do the original Death Wing any harm, or the various Chapters who repainted their armour during the Badab War. :) Or, for that matter, the Sanguinary Guard themselves, I suppose. Or that one Chaplain who painted his armour silver.

Erazmus_M_Wattle
01-02-2011, 14:14
I'd say do it as well. I can't see a reason why you couldn't have some of the first company painted gold. It doesn't even need to be a deathwatch situation. They could have been gold all along. The honour guard being gold was new with the last BA codex before that it was just the captains. So go got it.

AndrewGPaul
01-02-2011, 14:15
The honour guard being gold was new with the last BA codex before that it was just the captains. So go got it.

One Captain. Just one. And then the Chapter Master.

Sgt John Keel
01-02-2011, 14:26
It didn't seem to do the original Death Wing any harm, or the various Chapters who repainted their armour during the Badab War. :) Or, for that matter, the Sanguinary Guard themselves, I suppose. Or that one Chaplain who painted his armour silver.

Touch-and-go. :shifty:

Although I don't believe the SG Artificer Armour is repainted.

Obviously the OP should do whatever he wants, but I don't think there's any fluff precedent for golden Blood Angel Terminators.

AndrewGPaul
01-02-2011, 14:31
I don't think it's so much a precendent, just that there's nothing saying he's flat-out wrong. :)

Wishing
01-02-2011, 14:38
Much like the sanguinary guard themselves are a new addition to the fluff, adding to the fluff isn't the same as contradicting it. Unless the codex says "There have never been and never will be sanguinary guard in terminator armour", I don't see anything fluff-heretical about making up a sub-division within the sanguinary guard whose traditional armoury includes terminator armour and thunder hammers instead of the usual gear.

carldooley
01-02-2011, 14:46
Dunno how a gold stormraven would look, perhaps a lot of gold over red?

NO!!! no more Iron Man Armors!!!:mad:

AndrewGPaul
01-02-2011, 14:53
Slabbering Shining Gold onto a Stormraven would almost certainly look terrible. Starting with a darker base colour, and using normal highlighting and shading techniques with metallic paints - say, going from Gold+Scorched Brown in the recesses all the way up to Mithril Silver for the extreme edge highlights - might work, as long as there's sufficient non-gold details, such as exhausts, landing feet, weaponry and so on, to counterbalance it.

GenerationTerrorist
01-02-2011, 16:26
Cheers guys. I was just interested in this idea should I ever find myself tempted to buy one of the Flying Bricks known as a Stormraven! My other idea was to make the Terminators to be Dante's personal bodyguard. Gold they shall be painted though :-)

FAO Thalenchar: As for my Vanguards, they are essentially Assault Marines with Deathmasks and SG Shoulder Pads. My Honour Guard are the old metal Death Company, with plastic Jump Packs and carrying Meltaguns. They are all Gold.

Gingerwerewolf
01-02-2011, 16:50
Id Personally see no problem with this what so ever and thinkt he idea is awesome.

Rules wise, they are exactly the same points: Thus you are giving up their Jump Infantry for larger bases, an Invunerable 5+ Save, relentless and Cumbersome and exchanging of their Glaive Encarmine for a Powerfist. I personally see no problems with loosing the PF and regaining the Glaive Encarmine, and I for one would love to see you convert up an Angelus Style Storm Bolter

My guys, the Armour on Dante, Tycho and the Sanguinary Guard is Bone coloured. This acts as more of a contrast to the Rich Red of the Angels Incarmine. My Death Company are the same with Deep Red and Black Crosses, and Green Purity Seals with Black Paper. My Vanguard, Sternguard and Honour Guard have Bone white Helmets too.

When I do use gold (for trimmings and their weapons) I use the origional Shining Gold from the late 80's early 90's washed with raw devlan mud. Its a beautiful rich colour that when edge highlighted with Mithril can create a beautiful finish.