PDA

View Full Version : so... badab black... [CLOSED]

unheilig
02-02-2011, 10:41
What IS that smell?

Seems sort of a burnt smell. Very odd for a water-based pigment.

Grimtuff
02-02-2011, 10:43
Spam. Yes, definitley.

unheilig
02-02-2011, 10:55
Spam. Yes, definitley.

What?

Have you smelled the badab black? Its uniquely disturbing. Does anyone know what it is?

NixonAsADaemonPrince
02-02-2011, 10:58
I'd suggest trying some capitalisation and elaborating your question a bit more next time. As for you actual question, I'm not sure, it is a bit weird but not that alarming.

unheilig
02-02-2011, 11:00
I'd suggest trying some capitalisation and elaborating your question a bit more next time. As for you actual question, I'm not sure, it is a bit weird but not that alarming.

Its kind of alarming... not in 25 years of hobbying have I ever smelled any water-based product smell like that.

Apologist
02-02-2011, 11:02
The carrying medium is not water, which would probably explain the smell.

unheilig
02-02-2011, 11:05
The carrying medium is not water, which would probably explain the smell.

The other washes don't smell like that. Also, Badab Black didn't USED to smell like this.

Does GW have MSDS forms for any of its products posted anywhere?

Godzooky
02-02-2011, 11:06
The other washes don't smell like that. Also, Badab Black didn't USED to smell like this.

Does GW have MSDS forms for any of its products posted anywhere?

Bad"ab" batch, perhaps?

unheilig
02-02-2011, 11:13
These bottles also seem a bit darker than usual (which is good). Still, the smell reminds me of my days in the foundry, of substances we needed respirators to be around.

BigRob
02-02-2011, 11:14
Bad"ab" batch, perhaps?

+1

Warseer humour strikes again.

Grimtuff
02-02-2011, 11:16
+1

Warseer humour strikes again.

Hmmmph! No-one liked mine then? :p

BramGaunt
02-02-2011, 11:21
It's still a lot better than Army Painter dips.

It'S the same smell Devlan Mud used to have (and still has)

It's not really Warhammer 40k related, therefor Grimmtuff was right with labeling it "spam".

Nobody laughed at your pun because it stated the truth, Grimmtuff, and we thought you wanted to be constructive... still, keep it going^^

NixonAsADaemonPrince
02-02-2011, 11:49
I did a google search and there has already been a lot of mentions of this phenomenon, especially in relation to Devlan Mud to the point where people have in fact felt nauseous.

Godzooky
02-02-2011, 11:53
I did a google search and there has already been a lot of mentions of this phenomenon, especially in relation to Devlan Mud to the point where people have in fact felt nauseous.

Hmmm, time for GW to roll out Potpourri Purple and Mithril Mint, methinks.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
02-02-2011, 11:54

Might encourage a few girls into the hobby. You would just need flower and pony transfers ;).

unheilig
02-02-2011, 12:05
It's still a lot better than Army Painter dips.

It'S the same smell Devlan Mud used to have (and still has)

It's not really Warhammer 40k related, therefor Grimmtuff was right with labeling it "spam".

Nobody laughed at your pun because it stated the truth, Grimmtuff, and we thought you wanted to be constructive... still, keep it going^^

Yeah, I can see it being better in a different sub-forum, but its a valid topic for anyone concerned about toxicity issues.

I just checked my Delvan Mud. Nowhere near the same.

Chem-Dog
02-02-2011, 12:20
Bad"ab" batch, perhaps?

*Facepalm*

These people need to man the hell up. Seriously, stand next to any river at low tide and you'll smell worse (Trent, Ouse and Thames), never mind the various aromatic challenges that parenthood throw at (and on) you. Badab Black isn't bad, anyone remember Flesh Wash?

As long as Rotting flesh, Vomit Brown, Bestial Brown, Bubonic Brown and Graveyard Earth aren't "upgraded" this way, we're good.
Chaos black might be nice though as chaos smells like liquorice :D

NixonAsADaemonPrince
02-02-2011, 12:23
People were talking about Flesh wash and Chestnut ink and saying how the new washes pale into insignificance compared to those. Thankfully I've never come into contact with them. Though I do admit that there are far worse smells in life ;).

Brother Siccarius
02-02-2011, 12:38

Time for people to learn not to keep sniffing their washes and paint to try and find out what the smell is.

daboarder
02-02-2011, 12:45
probably just whatever amine compound they're using for the pigment, those things can be known carcinogens so they undergo fairly extensive testing before their allowed to be used for paints and the like. especially where public consumption is concerned, no company wants to be sued because they gave a couple of thousand people cancer.

jack da greenskin
02-02-2011, 13:20
What?

Have you smelled the badab black? Its uniquely disturbing. Does anyone know what it is?

I have to agree, mine smell rancid. Both of them, its horrific.

Scientific explanation please. Tell me to man up and I'll hurt you with my weedy stick arms.

Chem-Dog
02-02-2011, 13:32
Man Up! :p

Scientific Explanation:
Badab Black contains the burned ashes of Heretics and Traitors. It's the smell of treachery and base morals. :evilgrin:

Covering Fire
02-02-2011, 13:39
People were talking about Flesh wash and Chestnut ink and saying how the new washes pale into insignificance compared to those. Thankfully I've never come into contact with them. Though I do admit that there are far worse smells in life ;).

I still have a pot of Flesh Wash and I rather like the smell of it...:p

Sometimes I open it up and take a sniff just to remember the good o' days of Warhammer 5th ed...;)

Born Again
02-02-2011, 13:45
I've noticed that the foundation paints tend to have a much stronger smell than all the other paints, but it's not "bad". It's just the smell of paint.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
02-02-2011, 14:33
I've noticed that the foundation paints tend to have a much stronger smell than all the other paints, but it's not "bad". It's just the smell of paint.

That's typically explainable because Foundations paints are more concentrated than the standard colours.

Gingerwerewolf
02-02-2011, 14:52
The only thing that worries me, as I too have noticed it with both the black and the Devlan Mud wash, is if they are still non-toxic or not.

I, like a large amount of painters, smoothe down the errant bristles on my brushes by sucking on them. :eek:

(gets ready for the ewwww disgusting retort)

So their toxicity:skull: is of importance to me :confused:

Godzooky
02-02-2011, 14:55
The only thing that worries me, as I too have noticed it with both the black and the Devlan Mud wash, is if they are still non-toxic or not.

I, like a large amount of painters, smoothe down the errant bristles on my brushes by sucking on them. :eek:

Yeah, I do that, too (not on your brushes! :D).

I'm sure a product such as this would have to pass certain safety tests.

Knifeparty
02-02-2011, 15:11
I have also noticed that burning smell with my Badab Black and with my Gryphonite Sepia, I'm still alive and I use that S*** on everything lol.

Lord Damocles
02-02-2011, 15:17
If they were toxic, they'd say so on the pot.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
02-02-2011, 15:21
You can also just dip the brush into water then smooth it on a tissue instead of licking it, but each to their own ;).

Godzooky
02-02-2011, 15:23
You can also just dip the brush into water then smooth it on a tissue instead of licking it, but each to their own ;).

Like the chimps say: "It's the taste."

StraightSilver
02-02-2011, 15:30
The original Citadel Inks had ethanol or in some cases ether added to them to decrease their drying time.

C'Oat D'arms, who used to produce GW's paints still do the same to their washes, and I suspect that now manufacture of GW paints and washes has moved from China to France this may be the case.

It will give the wash a pungent smell that some people find nauseating, and is the reason inks and washes taste disgusting.

And for those who brush lick I would strongly advise not to.

As well as inert cadmium in many red paints, most paint brushes also have a chemical fungicide sprayed on them to prevent the bristles rotting, which isn't good for you if you do it a lot.

Not that I want to bring any of you down..... :)

AndrewGPaul
02-02-2011, 15:35
I've been licking the brushes for twenty years, and it hasn't done me any harm. :) :wtf:

Light of the Emperor
02-02-2011, 15:38
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has some odd smelling paints. Both the washes and foundations...some of them at least, have smells about them that aren't too pleasant. Once its on the model, it goes away after a time. My poor Empire...

nightgant98c
02-02-2011, 15:40
It's the smell of treachery and base morals. :evilgrin:

Mmmm, treachery and base morals.

Poseidal
02-02-2011, 15:42
I've noticed this smell as well, though I think it was in my Devlan Mud.

Does anyone have any substitute for licking the brushes?

Godzooky
02-02-2011, 15:43
And for those who brush lick I would strongly advise not to.

As well as inert cadmium in many red paints, most paint brushes also have a chemical fungicide sprayed on them to prevent the bristles rotting, which isn't good for you if you do it a lot.

Not that I want to bring any of you down..... :)

Well, thanks to the build-up of inert cadmium, my lips have never looked fuller or more kissably red. And the chemical fungicide is really keeping my lip mushrooms at bay.

GW: get the London look...

NixonAsADaemonPrince
02-02-2011, 15:44
Like I said, dip the brush in clean water then smooth on a tissue while slowly rolling it ;). Try and keep the little protector caps as well, I find they help.

Though I'm sure Cadmium is good for you anyway ;).

Crazy Ivan
02-02-2011, 15:45
Does anyone have any substitute for licking the brushes?
A cup of tap water and a piece of kitchen paper? Works perfectly for me... EDIT: as Nixon said.

GW: get the Nottingham look...
Sorry, had to correct you there. :D

scar face
02-02-2011, 15:55
My first 2 badab blacks didn't smell like that. The rest have- cant be a bad batch.

I've noticed devlan mud also has an odd smell...

scar

unheilig
02-02-2011, 18:52
I wrote GW asking if MSDSs are available for the washes. Probably not, but we'll see...

philbrad2
02-02-2011, 19:14
think this one has run its course ...

PhilB
:chrome:
+ =I= + WarSeer Moderation Team + =I= +
WarSeer Posting Guidelines (http://www.warseer.com/forums/faq.php?faq=rules#faq_posting_guidelines)
The WarSeer FAQ (http://www.warseer.com/forums/faq.php)
The WarSeer Moderation/Posting/Forum guidelines (http://www.warseer.com/forums/faq.php?faq=the_forums#faq_rules)