PDA

View Full Version : Skaven players -- how do you differentiate your Slaves from your Clanrats?

Balerion
05-02-2011, 08:13
It seems most people build these units out of the Clanrats box and the IoB Clanrats.

I've noticed that some of the models display bits of armour, whereas others are merely clad in cloaks and rags. Is it effective to split the models up along these lines and use them to represent the two unit types? Or does the loss of diversity within each unit end up making both choices look bland on table?

Any other suggestions?

ftayl5
05-02-2011, 08:18
If you mix slaves (not skavenslaves) into your slave units that can help out. Just a few flaggelants or night goblins or peasants per unit should help tell the difference.

Mr. Ultra
05-02-2011, 08:21
It seems most people build these units out of the Clanrats box and the IoB Clanrats.

I've noticed that some of the models display bits of armour, whereas others are merely clad in cloaks and rags. Is it effective to split the models up along these lines and use them to represent the two unit types? Or does the loss of diversity within each unit end up making both choices look bland on table?

Any other suggestions?

Some of the bodies has chained ankles. That makes them very slave-ish.:D

Changing the colour scheme is a nice and simple idea as well. For example, red for the clanrats, dirty brown for the slaves.

The Pestilent Blight
05-02-2011, 08:23
I think that was the intension of GW. To give you slaves and armored clanrats. If you look closely at some they have whip cuts on their back. Myself, I have mixed races as my slaves with only a few skaven slaves.

Personally, I think the poses of the new clanrats make the units look too orderly and bland as it is. At least with the old monkey paw rats you could make a motley mob of raving skaven, and it looked it. Not much can be done though.

Binky
05-02-2011, 08:45
The clan rat box has 10 models with armour and 10 without, so I generally split them like that, though some of the unarmoured models are slavier than others, but I think just using them would make the slave units too samey. I also tend to arm the slaves with clubs and daggers rather than the swords etc.

I also use a different paint scheme as well, red cloth for the clan rats grey for the slaves.

Ultimate Life Form
05-02-2011, 09:22
Bought loadsa old battallions last year with the intention of using the old Clanrats as Slaves - and so I did.

Lostzilla
05-02-2011, 09:50
My intention is to use mantic zombies as slaves. With some green stuff and plasticard on his heads I'll make a "mental control device" and this little friend on the back:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ts1HdLGjywM/TEMIif3lYKI/AAAAAAAAMTk/snD24lkd1No/s1600/Island_of_blood_minis.jpg

Very "skryre style" :P

shelfunit.
05-02-2011, 09:53
My intention is to use mantic zombies as slaves. With some green stuff and plasticard on his heads I'll make a "mental control device" and this little friend on the back:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ts1HdLGjywM/TEMIif3lYKI/AAAAAAAAMTk/snD24lkd1No/s1600/Island_of_blood_minis.jpg

Very "skryre style" :P

That is a great idea :D

mrtn
05-02-2011, 09:58
I mostly use BfSP night goblins for my slaves, with a sprinkling of skaven, dwarves and skinks.

Haravikk
05-02-2011, 11:59
My slaves are painted a bit differently but I like to keep my units usable as either Clanrats or Skavenslaves as they're both built from clan-rat kits. To differentiate them during the game I place one or two pack-masters behind the unit(s) I'm using as Skavenslaves, ones with whips can look really good.

One thing that others have mentioned is that Skavenslaves can't have standards, so if you're in the habit of giving standards to your clan-rat units then this can actually distinguish them fairly well to begin with.

VenomBlood
05-02-2011, 14:11
I use lots of these guys
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1181895_99060206045_SkavenSlavesSpearsMain_873x62 7.jpg
Quite expensive, love them anyway

Eisenhorn
05-02-2011, 14:13
I used to use Gnoblars for slaves. But now that im starting a new skaven army with the new models ill be using the unarmored clan rats, some gnoblars and flagellants.

Balerion
05-02-2011, 15:37
I don't know why I didn't think to mix some non-Skaven slaves into the unit, that's a great idea. That must be some minor relief when you're in the middle of painting 100+ Clanrats.

scarletsquig
05-02-2011, 16:10
I know someone who paints the slaves black, and the clanrats red.

Lazier paintjob on the masses of slaves.

mrtn
05-02-2011, 16:28
I know someone who paints the slaves black, and the clanrats red.Is it the Eavy Metal Team? :p Sounds just like their paintjob.

Mictlan
05-02-2011, 16:52
As almost everyone else I use different paint schemes to futher differentiate the armored and unarmored ones, but I do not limit the differences to the colors of their clothes but also their skin color.

Clan rats have brown skin to represent the fur, slaves ara painted in flesh tones to make them look furless, I imagine them to have addapted to be in the dark depths even more than the usual skaven, hence their appearance

giant stegadon
05-02-2011, 18:13
Someone in an earlier thread mentioned they also have the whip guys in the back of their slave units (sort of like the prod guy above). I think that mixed with some flagellants of BoSP goblins would make the slave units pretty obvious (& cheaper if you already have BoSP).

FashaTheDog
05-02-2011, 18:22
I am not that far with my mice yet, but I was thinking the easiest way would be be to take a page from Battle Masters (does that game never cease giving?) and include a unit label on each movement tray. I would put the label on the back of the tray with the unit name and type for ease for reference.

Dante blackfur
05-02-2011, 18:45
I am not that far with my mice yet, but I was thinking the easiest way would be be to take a page from Battle Masters (does that game never cease giving?) and include a unit label on each movement tray. I would put the label on the back of the tray with the unit name and type for ease for reference.

Thats actually a really good idea. It would definitively remove an doubt from your opponent as to what they are. Plus you could still mix non-rat models, and packmasters/slave drivers in the back and to add final touhces paint the rats slaves furless and maybe model some chains on the non-rats. :) oooo! more modeling stuff :evilgrin:

dimetri1
05-02-2011, 18:57
I paint them a lighter color. bleached bone with washes and a lighter highlight.

fastcarfreak
05-02-2011, 22:44
I use the old metal slaves and the old clanrats as my slaves. I have about 180 in total :)

ScytheSwathe
06-02-2011, 10:28
http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad106/Scythern/slavefiller.jpg
http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad106/Scythern/clanratfiller.jpg

Quick photos, but i differentiate by the unit fillers, slaves have slavers, and clanrats get 'toys'

tarkin1980
06-02-2011, 11:46
I mix 1:1 unarmored clanrats and giant rats. Because you end up with a gazillion of giant rat models after a while.

Astraeos
06-02-2011, 15:38
Yesterday I bought the Clanrats box with the intention of using all 20 as Just that (starting a new army, yay). However upon looking at them there's several that look too much like Slaves, having lash marks across their backs and even shackled ankles.

Luckily the box divides evenly between armoured and robed/Slave like Skaven. So 10 Clanrats and 10 Skavenslaves!

The previous Skaven book has some good tips for painting Clanrats to resemble Slaves (keep metal to a minimum, lighter colours) so I'll be doing that.

I may also buy some Flagellants to mix into the group.

Balerion
06-02-2011, 16:44
Since the IoB set forces you to use both spears and hand weapons, and spears are not a great in-game choice, I'm thinking about arming a handful of slaves with the more hook-like spears and using them in the last rank of my slave units. They would represent a small group of police-slaves tasked with urging the others on and hooking/killing anybody who tries to escape on his own.

Alathir
06-02-2011, 16:50
I don't plan on using any pestilen units in my army, so I'm simply painting the robes on the plaguemonk models with a more normal brown, muddy tinge and using them as slaves.

Svarten
06-02-2011, 16:52
I use empire troops and night goblins as my slaves, as well as a few packmasters to keep them in check. So I don't have that problem :D

phaserburn
06-02-2011, 23:32
I use the 6th / 7th monkey rats as slaves. All of their weapons / spears are broken (used a hobby knife to make it look like savaging) and they have no shieds. I left tails broken off. Do it this ways and it is VERY easy to tell them apart.

I used the 5th single clan rats and am now updating my CR to the IoB models. Never been any confusion as the contrast is evident.