PDA

View Full Version : Imperial fist current canon tactical markings issue...

RandomSelect
05-02-2011, 09:41
Hi all I was going to paint carcharodons but after a test mini I decided grey is a bit boring to paint!
Anyway regarding imperial fists, I always knew sargeants as having a red skull device instead of a red helmet and a red stripe denotes a vet, not a White helmet. I think these descriptions( with pictures) wer in the 2nd ed ultramarine codex.
It seems nobody paints them lime this and just uses the codex type ( red helmet Sargent and White helmet vets) has the material changed? Or do people not know of the old canon method?

Lord Damocles
05-02-2011, 09:56
The assault squad sergeant in the 4th ed. Marine codex has the red stripe and iron skull badge on his helmet.

I can't see that anything post Codex: Ultramaines contradicts the markings given.

I've never seen anyone paint anything other than 3rd company Imperial Fists (red shoulder rims) come to think of it...:shifty:

The Marshel
05-02-2011, 11:10
to be frank, the red skull device thing is just rather boring imo. I prefer the red/white helmet style marking and i dont particularly care if its cannon or not.

I'd be willing to bet a majority of people either don't know, or agree that a single red skull/stripe is a little dull

Son of Morkai
05-02-2011, 13:13
Don't forget the squad leaders! With a red iron halo on the helmet.

Zweischneid
05-02-2011, 13:16
Don't forget the squad leaders! With a red iron halo on the helmet.

Heresy! Squad Leaders don't wear helmets!

Son of Morkai
05-02-2011, 13:20
Heresy! Squad Leaders don't wear helmets!

Sergeants don't wear helmets. Squad Leaders are still Battle-Brothers and thus smart enough to wear them.

RandomSelect
05-02-2011, 17:16
Haha thanks gents,
cant say i remember seeing the iron halo/squad leader thing anywhere?
where can it be found? (was it on the same page as the red skull and stripes etc??)

Son of Morkai
05-02-2011, 18:14
It's from the 2nd ed Ultramarine codex, but has gotten dropped, along with squad leaders. In fact, in FFG's Rites of Battle, the iron halo badge's meaning has changed. But I'm still using it on my IF squad leaders.

Fabian3rd
05-02-2011, 19:33
Lexicanum says this which is wierd
[Yellow armor, Codex Astartes company shoulder pad trims with red outlines on the power armour]
So the pads have company colours but the armour has red trim. Ive never seen this so I guess its wrong. The fact you mainly see red trim is interesting though, the colour wokrs well I guess. Ive also seen black and a mate does green but it doesnt look so good. If I were you I would do 1 trim company colour then the other red then you can do seargents helms red without it being too dominant?

Chem-Dog
05-02-2011, 19:42
I've never seen anyone paint anything other than 3rd company Imperial Fists (red shoulder rims) come to think of it...:shifty:

Mine are 5th Company...black trims :D

Personally, I've gone with red helms for Sergeants and white for Veterans, following the edicts of the Insignium Astartes.

Leftenant Gashrog
05-02-2011, 20:18
Iron Halos never went on helmets, in RT they tended to go on a greave or kneepad, 2nd edition they went on the chapter badge. Curiously the 4th edition codex art for the smurfs pads showed several halo markings on the squad marking pads tho didn't explain what they meant.

Azzy
05-02-2011, 21:58
Personally, I say go with the red Iron Skull for sergeants and white stripes for veterans (just name one of the veterans Jack). I think it gives the chapter a little more character.

Sergeants don't wear helmets. Squad Leaders are still Battle-Brothers and thus smart enough to wear them.

Devastator and Assault sergeants wear helmets... it just those silly Tactical sergeants that have a death wish. ;)

Haha thanks gents,
cant say i remember seeing the iron halo/squad leader thing anywhere?
where can it be found? (was it on the same page as the red skull and stripes etc??)

It wasn't an IF-specific thing... just mentioned in the Honor Badges section on page 22.

Iron Halos never went on helmets, in RT they tended to go on a greave or kneepad, 2nd edition they went on the chapter badge.

On page 22 of the Ultramarine codex, it says the Iron Halo is usually displayed on the shoulder armor and/or helmet. In the picture in the color plates, it's also represented on the squad leaders' banner.

While I never played 2nd ed., I decided for the DIY BA Chapter that I started, I decided to go with the 2nd ed. standard Codex heraldry (much like the Blood Drinkers) including the squad leaders with Iron Halos and banners). While squad leaders don't do anything per the rules, they make sense (fluff-wise and visually) especially when the unit is broken into Combat Squads.