PDA

View Full Version : Officer of the Fleet: Yay or Nay?

senorcardgage
05-02-2011, 20:15
Hey guys,

So, I run one of your more standard mechanized guard lists. Not totally cookie-cutter, but it's still got a lot of tanks.

Anyway, I'm considering adding an officer of the fleet. To me, it seems like for 30 points you could really screw up some potential enemy's plans; although against most armies he will not help in any way (okay, he'll give your squad an extra wound.) Here are the thoughts:

Demons are basically screwed against you. They get their first half on turn one, but after that everything will come in so slowly that you should have a field day
Blood Angel DoA lists will effectively lose their advantage of being able to ensure most of their army arrives when they are needed.
Any army that relies on outflanking will have to think again.
Any army that likes to hang out completely in reserve will come in piecemeal and get annihilated.

So, is he worth it? Depending on your opponent, it's very hit or miss...

carldooley
05-02-2011, 20:21
at the same time if you spam squadrons of basilisks, psyker battle squads, Demo vets, and Masters of Ordnance (essentially Large Blast spam). They can be worth their weight when your opponent elects instead to come in from reserve to avoid being shot to death.

Vaktathi
05-02-2011, 20:33
Well, let me first say that Daemons are not totally screwed, in fact they can work it to their advantage in Objective games, I lost as a result of my Officer of the Fleet once (had one objective, daemons barely had another and were going 2nd, turn 5 last unit of plaguebearers comes in due to being delayed, comes in on third objective, game ends, daemons win with 11 models left on the board and almost no casualties inflicted on the IG :p)

That said, the OoF can really putz an enemy relying on outflanking, as well as anyone specifically playing a reserve denial strategy. If nothing else mentioning that you have in fact taken one often forces an enemy to rethink their plans or be less confident about their current plan. He won't always be useful, but sometimes will be, and if nothing else is an ablative wound on the command squad.

Not always necessary, but worth the 30pts.

Bestaltan
05-02-2011, 20:52
Any army that relies on outflanking will have to think again.
Any army that likes to hang out completely in reserve will come in piecemeal and get annihilated.

There is one exception......A Bug list tailored for reserve. Swarmlord + Hive tyrant with hive commander means my plans of outflanking and coming in from reserve still work quite nicely. The one advantage you would have, however, is that you won't see that combo in anything under 2000 points (and even at 2000 points, that's still a huge amount of your army in two models).

500 points of Bugs to negate 30 points of Imperial Guard......Great codex, GW!!:rolleyes:

Vaktathi
05-02-2011, 21:10
Well, it means you're advantages you've paid for on your HQ's are mitigated, they aren't going to come on turn 2 on a 2+ routinely and functionally the Swarmlords reroll for outflanking side gets nullified by the OoF, so you basically just get the turn 2 3+ with no rerolls. If you've built the entire army around that, then those 30pts can still really putz it.

Bergen Beerbelly
05-02-2011, 21:23
Yeah, it's worth it. About the only army I can think of that will not have much trouble with it if they try to reserve/outflank everything would be Eldar with 2 Autarchs.

Bestaltan
05-02-2011, 21:36
Turn 2 3+ with no rerolls has actually won me three tournaments over the past 5 months (been just running the Hive Tyrant in my 2000 point lists). Odds I can live with ;).

Cain1001
05-02-2011, 21:44
I see this alot when people discuss Astropaths and OoF, but to be honest it comes down to how you or your opponent rolls.

Some people explain both types as automatics. I have had newbies think the Oof blocks reserves automatically. I have to explain that you can spend 60 points and have it do "ABSOLUTELY" nothing at all. (Astropaths/OoF)

Remember -

Officer of the Fleet - 30pts
your opponent rolls a 5 or 6 first turn = wasted 30 points. Your opponent rolls a 1,2,3 = wasted 30pts. The OoF only helps if your opponent rolls a 4. If they roll anything else first turn it means nothing. 2nd, third and forth turn is the same. 30pts only helps if they roll 1 number otherwise they would have failed or passed anyways. (most armies don't have re rolls for table edge so he doesn't help there either.

Astropath - he suffers the same as the OoF except his re rolls for table edge are nice when you have slow moving units outflanking.

Vaktathi
05-02-2011, 22:19
The bigger issue is the psychology, although even forcing one or two units to remain in reserves an extra turn can be totally worth that 30pts. But the psychology of these units is really important.

If an opposing player is sitting looking at your gunline and thinking "I'm just going to hold everything in reserve", then you note "BTW, I have an officer of the fleet, just in case that will have any affect on your battle plan" they may decide "well crap, my reserves are gonna get putzed with and my outflankers have a good chance now of not coming in where I want them, I'll just deploy everything". In which case, you can blaze away on your first turn and inflict more damage on them than you may have otherwise.

ehlijen
05-02-2011, 22:31
500 points of Bugs to negate 30 points of Imperial Guard......Great codex, GW!!:rolleyes:

By which of course you mean a moderate point upgrade for one bug that's otherwise already a good choice to negate about the same amount of points of imperial guard.
One of your two bugs is enough to cancel the officer. The other one still improves your rolls beyond what they'd normally be.

Sabe
05-02-2011, 23:00
Originally Posted by Bestaltan View Post
500 points of Bugs to negate 30 points of Imperial Guard......Great codex, GW!!
By which of course you mean a moderate point upgrade for one bug that's otherwise already a good choice to negate about the same amount of points of imperial guard.
One of your two bugs is enough to cancel the officer. The other one still improves your rolls beyond what they'd normally be.

Of course those 500 points of bugs also offer a little bit more than just the reserve effects. The OoF is really only giving you the one effect.

Bestaltan
05-02-2011, 23:07
If I want to whine about how "bad" one of the best (if pricey) HQ choices in the game is, then I can. Don't judge me!! ;)

In all seriousness, though, that idea of psychology does work both ways. I've seen IG players shut down when they realize that their sure-win OoF just got negated himself. I've always considered him a crutch upgrade......I've seen too many IG players rely too heavily on what he brings to the table that, if he doesn't work, they lose focus themselves.

carldooley
05-02-2011, 23:14
In all seriousness, though, that idea of psychology does work both ways. I've seen IG players shut down when they realize that their sure-win OoF just got negated himself. I've always considered him a crutch upgrade......I've seen too many IG players rely too heavily on what he brings to the table that, if he doesn't work, they lose focus themselves.

of course, we can use wound allocation to affect our metagame with the CCS. If we find that our reserves are coming in before we want them to, well oops: the Astropath just took a round in the head. If the CCS is moving around too much, the Master of ordnance chokes on his cigar. If our opponent elected to field everything instead, well our Officer of the Fleet just became cannon fodder.

I was actually surprised in a game when I realized that I could play better losing my advisors to shooting rather than putting another wound on my commander or losing one of the special weapons.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
05-02-2011, 23:18
I'd say they are worth it in larger games where you have more points to spare, but at lower points levels they just take up too much room.

Makaber
05-02-2011, 23:22
In my book both effects (Astropath and Officer) are so intangible they're pretty much impossible to give a clear cut "yes" or "no" answer to. So I'd just go with your gut feeling on it.

Personally I like them for two reasons: The models are awesome and it messes with my opponents head.

Cain1001
05-02-2011, 23:50
In my book both effects (Astropath and Officer) are so intangible they're pretty much impossible to give a clear cut "yes" or "no" answer to. So I'd just go with your gut feeling on it.

Personally I like them for two reasons: The models are awesome and it messes with my opponents head.

Well said, I agree with this

AlphariusOmegon20
06-02-2011, 06:08
There is one exception......A Bug list tailored for reserve. Swarmlord + Hive tyrant with hive commander means my plans of outflanking and coming in from reserve still work quite nicely. The one advantage you would have, however, is that you won't see that combo in anything under 2000 points (and even at 2000 points, that's still a huge amount of your army in two models).

Running a Hive Commander and 3 Lictors negates the OoF also. if the Lictors get in turn 2, everything auto-DS's in turn 3.

And doesn't scatter due to coming down within 6 " of the Lictors. :evilgrin:

The Marshel
06-02-2011, 06:23
I'd always add an officer of the fleet at the beginning of the list building stage, but it'd be high on my list of wargear/units/upgrades to remove in order to find points.

AngryAngel
06-02-2011, 16:30
At the end of the day, I say yay to the OoF. If he works well, he's worth his weight in gold, If he doesn't, at least he's another body on the ground to give your command squad another viable member to take a wound aside from the commander. Though in my local area, he's hardly ever been totally useless.

Johnnyfrej
06-02-2011, 17:45
Yes, but not for lower games. For 1750+ I'd say it's a must.

senorcardgage
08-02-2011, 22:44
Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like the guy is getting some mixed reviews...