PDA

View Full Version : Blood Angel Dreadnoughts

shadowhawk2008
06-02-2011, 08:27
I was reading the new Blood Angel Sample Army Lists on the GW website and I am confused by something. They mention Furioso Librarian Dreadnoughts and Librarian Dreadnoughts a lot in the lists. Are they even valid choices in the codex? I don't have access to the codex at all so I have not been able to read it myself.

Inquisitor Gabriel Ashe
06-02-2011, 08:33
Yes. They're the only army that CAN field these special variant Dreadnoughts. Why would you think otherwise? FYI, you can have a Furioso Dreadnought that isn't a Librarian, but saying Librarian Dreadnought is the same as saying Furioso Librarian. The Librarian is an upgrade to the Furioso.

shadowhawk2008
06-02-2011, 08:37
That's kind of messed up that Blood Angels get new units that actually make sense for a whole bunch of other chapters would be using anyway. Ah well, the price we pay for having codices for some of our favourite chapters.

Mr. Ultra
06-02-2011, 09:06
Don't worry, in the next incarnation of the codex Vanilla Marines you could field the Librarian Dread, plus the Chaplain Dread and possibly another exclusive new type of Dread (all with his own plastic kit ofcourse).

Reflex
06-02-2011, 09:08
well, the blood angel codex is not particularly liked in many places. Obviously there are alot of fans, but there are alot of haters. personally, I think the codex has some power porblems which eat at the fluff, but thats just me.

they are valid choices, they may even open up options for future marine books, and they seem to be quite a popular choice. but dont hold your breath.

Jind_Singh
06-02-2011, 11:03
That's kind of messed up that Blood Angels get new units that actually make sense for a whole bunch of other chapters would be using anyway. Ah well, the price we pay for having codices for some of our favorite chapters.

But Land Speeder Storms and Ironclads make sense for the other named chapters but they can't take them!

If every chapter had access to everything then we'd see quite a few books dropped off the shelves!

I guess it's one way of keeping chapters unique, and it means fans of the new units ultimately get drawn into grabbing a new army!

I don't really need any more dread options anyway - already it's tough trying to include my Dreadnought, my Ironclad, and my Venerable Dreadnought into the game YET along worrying about Chaplin/Librarian Dreadnoughts!

shadowhawk2008
06-02-2011, 11:12
Which other chapters could use Storms and Ironclads 'naturally' but don't have them? Space Wolves? Blood Angels? Black Templars? Dark Angels?

I am not saying that every chapter should have access to everything but that the Stormravens and the Librarian Dread options are something that seem natural for a lot of the other chapters to be already using but are exclusive to the Blood Angels. The Stormravens seem like a no-brainer but the Librarian Dread is more of a special case so I don't really care.

Xandros
06-02-2011, 12:07
It makes sense for many others to get psychic dreadnoughts, however, furiosos are uniquely geared and have access to unique blood angel psychic powers. It's just the beginning, others will follow.

WildWeasel
06-02-2011, 14:44
...furiosos are uniquely geared...

Cause it's a sekrit Blood Angel technique to put a second DCCW on the right arm?

SamaNagol
06-02-2011, 14:50
It used to be

Mcbruce
06-02-2011, 16:09
Don't worry, in the next incarnation of the codex Vanilla Marines you could field the Librarian Dread, plus the Chaplain Dread and possibly another exclusive new type of Dread (all with his own plastic kit ofcourse).

I'm calling it now - when the new black templars codex comes out (whenever that may be) there will be an option for chaplain dreads, betcha.

Reflex
06-02-2011, 19:22
eh, and when DA come out, libby and more shooty dreads...

all these dreads are making for boring games...

Godzooky
06-02-2011, 19:40

Apothecary dread... :p

Chiara
06-02-2011, 20:08
The Mega-Dreadnought, four Dreadnought arms all with Close Combat Arms and four built in bolters with flamer attachments. Two mounted hunter killers and count as 14 all around. Its the Dreadnought they put the Chapter Master in on his days when he does not feel like walking....

brotherhostower
06-02-2011, 20:12
Chiara - I thought that was the new Dreadknight for Greyknights... heh

Xandros
06-02-2011, 22:14
At least it's not a naughtknight.

jack da greenskin
06-02-2011, 23:52
I still don't see why there isnt a combined marines book.
"pg 128 - space wolves. May take these SC for this points costs. May take a second special weapon instead of a heavy weapon. May take this option on units."
"pg 129 - blood angels (suitable for raven guard and charcaradons also). May take assault units as troops. May do this. May take these special characters. All units subject to this USR."
etc etc

No jealousy issues.

Oh yeah, GW's marketing technique. D'oh.

shadowhawk2008
07-02-2011, 09:36
I still don't see why there isnt a combined marines book.
"pg 128 - space wolves. May take these SC for this points costs. May take a second special weapon instead of a heavy weapon. May take this option on units."
"pg 129 - blood angels (suitable for raven guard and charcaradons also). May take assault units as troops. May do this. May take these special characters. All units subject to this USR."
etc etc

Well there are different books primarily because of so much fluff created over the years and they proved such favourites with the audience. Not to mention the variety of tactics/organization and all the special characters and all that.

By the way the Raven Guard make extensive use of scouts AND assault marines and focus on good intelligence. The Blood Angels not so much.

AmKhaibitu
07-02-2011, 14:45
The Mega-Dreadnought, four Dreadnought arms all with Close Combat Arms and four built in bolters with flamer attachments. Two mounted hunter killers and count as 14 all around. Its the Dreadnought they put the Chapter Master in on his days when he does not feel like walking....

Sounds more like a Belligerent Engine from the Angry Marines, because that is an angry dread, but make them chainfists for extra angry.

Radium
07-02-2011, 15:22
It makes sense for many others to get psychic dreadnoughts.

Not really, Librarians are very rare in most chapters. The chances of having a Librarian almost die, but still be alive enough to be entombed in a dread are very, very slim. Blood Angels just get more librarians than most, so the chances of getting a librarian in a dread increase a lot for them.

And Furiosos have always been part of the blood angels and exclusive to them. I don't see why that should change all of a sudden (mind I said: Furioso, not Furioso Librarians).

jack da greenskin
07-02-2011, 21:57
Well there are different books primarily because of so much fluff created over the years and they proved such favourites with the audience. Not to mention the variety of tactics/organization and all the special characters and all that.

By the way the Raven Guard make extensive use of scouts AND assault marines and focus on good intelligence. The Blood Angels not so much.

There'd be nothing to stop you loading up on assault squads and scouts for troops. I was thinking about trying a raven guard army after reading IA8, but the idea of having to take shrike to theme my army didnt sit well.

A 40k 1500pt (or even 3k) army doesnt have to represent all the themes of an army. You could load up on hard hitting assault stuff to make a spearhead, or techmarines, thunderfires and other stuff to make a fortified gunline. Nothing said BA had to be picked for the raven guard one, you could do a counts as "insert sneaky chapter here", and use the scout commander hq etc etc.

Winterfell
07-02-2011, 22:19
I was reading the new Blood Angel Sample Army Lists on the GW website and I am confused by something. They mention Furioso Librarian Dreadnoughts and Librarian Dreadnoughts a lot in the lists. Are they even valid choices in the codex? I don't have access to the codex at all so I have not been able to read it myself.

I find it odd to make a thread asking if GW is correct that you can make a certain unit for a certain army? You think they would make a model for something they weren't sure they created?

I also find it silly arguing if its fair one army gets something another does not. Why would I want my army exactly like another?

Lowmans
07-02-2011, 22:32
I also find it silly arguing if its fair one army gets something another does not. Why would I want my army exactly like another?

Ditto. I'm a marine player but luckily I haven't succumbed yet....
Codex envy..... It's a terrible thing!

Inquisitor Gabriel Ashe
07-02-2011, 22:57
I want an HQ Dread. Just saying.

tcraigen
08-02-2011, 04:49
Don't Space wolves have an Hq dread... just play them, or Apoc if its such a strong desire.

Inquisitor Gabriel Ashe
08-02-2011, 05:24
That's why I don't have an HQ Dread. I figured if we're already talking Codex Envy I'd throw mine out there. :p

shadowhawk2008
08-02-2011, 11:06
I find it odd to make a thread asking if GW is correct that you can make a certain unit for a certain army? You think they would make a model for something they weren't sure they created?

in case you somehow missed it, i said that as i have not been able to read the codex myself were librarian dreadnoughts even valid in the army list. The second point was that they got stormravens whille vanilla marines and the wolves missed out on those. The blood angels at the moment have access to two completely unique units in the game. The predator fluff actually makes sense in why only they have it but the stormraven seems tacked on just to give them more variety from other codices.

I want an HQ Dread. Just saying.

kinda ironic that there is a precedent in the fluff with a blood angels successor chapter having a dreadnought as their chapter master

Chem-Dog
08-02-2011, 11:13
Apothecary dread... :p

A giant walking ambulance :D

in case you somehow missed it, i said that as i have not been able to read the codex myself were librarian dreadnoughts even valid in the army list. The second point was that they got stormravens whille vanilla marines and the wolves missed out on those. The blood angels at the moment have access to two completely unique units in the game. The predator fluff actually makes sense in why only they have it but the stormraven seems tacked on just to give them more variety from other codices.

I could understand that you've not looked at the Codex BUT how the hell have you missed the -literally- GAZILLIONS of threads about the subjects since it's release? :p

shadowhawk2008
08-02-2011, 11:16
I could understand that you've not looked at the Codex BUT how the hell have you missed the -literally- GAZILLIONS of threads about the subjects since it's release? :p

Because I just started hanging out in this forum. I am usually in the background one and I knew about the stormraven but not the librarian dreads.