PDA

View Full Version : What are the Various Army Playstyles?

Spawn of Icarus
07-02-2011, 18:33
Looking at actually dipping my feet into fantasy this year, i had intended to last year but my 1500pt 40k army has taken longer than planned since my funds have been low.

Im not sure which race im interested in, with the exception of high elves since a close friend already collects them so i want to steer clear of them.
Can anyone advise me where i can see some Solid tournament builds of the different races or an overview of the strong and weak points of the armies so i can start looking into how the different lists play and how people generally construct lists for each race.

Thanks

P.S
Im very interested in how people make VC armies work as i love how customisable the vampires characters are, i also really like how customisable the WE characters are but im told to stay away from that army till it EVENTUALLY gets re-worked which is a shame as the models are really pretty. So id be interested in any advice/ opinions on them too.

MarshalFaust
07-02-2011, 19:52
do you have a certain playstyle that a appeals to you? personally i would stay away from tomb kings and wood elves. they are both old books in serious need of revising and are not beginner friendly. if your friend plays high elves you might consider Dark Elves for some cool themed battles. both armies are strong and well matched against each other.

N810
07-02-2011, 19:58
http://www.warseer.com/warhammer_fantasy_armies_overview <---
This link is a little out of date, but it will still give you a general idea hoow each army plays.

hashrat
07-02-2011, 20:05
This link is a little out of date, but it will still give you a general idea hoow each army plays.

A little out of date :)

My faveroute qoute "Hydras are a bit overpriced, but by all means take one (or two) as they cause terror and can usually do a fair bit of damage, just be careful to protect those handlers."

DeeKay
07-02-2011, 21:14
In my experiences of 8th ed, it's less about army playstyles nowadays and more about how you "play" the game. The following can be applied to almost every army in the game.

Combats now last a couple of turns as units grind each other to dust, so larger units are valuable in that sense. I can't honestly say that I've come across any small units (10 or less qualifies as small in my book.) Also, with the changes made to Battle Standard Bearers, they now qualify as essential.

With all these large units running around, warmachines such as stone throwers and mortars have larger targets to go for. Also, because of the changes to magic, it is feasible (if unlikely) to destroy whole units with magic. At least 1 wizard is pretty much essential, the higher the magic level the better.

Most of the armies I see running around are:

1-2 wizards
As many fighty characters as possible
A BSB
3-4 large combat units
War Machines and/or 1-2 monsters.

Hope this helps.

With regards,
Dan.

Spawn of Icarus
08-02-2011, 10:55
@N810: thanks for the link i think its going to helpfull as a 101 of each army :D

@ Marshallfaust:
Currently i dont have a certain play style appealing to me, my 40k army is a beginners attempt at an all round mech army so i dont mind too much having an army that doesnt try every phase. The sorts of thngs in an army army i think look intresting are

Gunlines, but i dont want a one trick pony with noting but guns

Vampires and Respawning Undead, But im rather concerned they are hard to balance correctly

Horse riding Cavalry, i blame Brettonians for that one... shame i dislike the Brettonian non-knight units

( I also have a soft spot for big things things that go 'stomp', stegadons, dragons, that sorta thing but having one isnt important to the army)

@Dan yes that idea helps alot :D

Forsak3n
08-02-2011, 11:05
i would suggest taking a peek into the various armies own personal forums and websites to get alittle bit further insight on the army builds/tactics(although they are going to be biased of course).

and on a side note, stay away from TK, WE, and OK as they are the most likely to be redone next. i had started a Night Goblin themed O&G army only to find out we get a new book in march....which means they might get "nerfed" and be unuseable. its no fun to waste precious time and money.

MarshalFaust
08-02-2011, 15:28
Vampires are a little frustrating to play at the moment, their basic troops were pointed around the concept of causing fear and tarpitting then autobreaking units that they outnumber and being able to raise them back easily. that whole mechanic does not work anymore leaving vampire counts with some of the most expensive and useless infantry in the game. The vampires themselves are still nasty and units like grave guard and blood knights are some of the best elite units in the game but my games with them immediately after 8th tended to consist of just getting my graveguard into combat asap while everyone else stood around and watched. i have shelved them until they get a new book.

another thing to consider is the amount of plastic options some armies have and if thats an important factor or not. Skaven, Empire and presumably the upcoming greenskins can easily have an entire army without a single metal model and a lot of their sculpts are new(not always a good thing, im looking at you empire state troops ).

but most importantly i would choose an army that you will enjoy painting. i made the mistake a few years ago by starting a lizardmen army, I really like the playstyle but ive found i just cannot get interested in painting them at all.

unless you have absolutely no interest in greenskins i woud wait just a few more weeks and see how they pan out.

Thruster
08-02-2011, 17:39
@N810: thanks for the link i think its going to helpfull as a 101 of each army :D

@ Marshallfaust:
Currently i dont have a certain play style appealing to me, my 40k army is a beginners attempt at an all round mech army so i dont mind too much having an army that doesnt try every phase. The sorts of thngs in an army army i think look intresting are

Gunlines, but i dont want a one trick pony with noting but guns

Vampires and Respawning Undead, But im rather concerned they are hard to balance correctly

Horse riding Cavalry, i blame Brettonians for that one... shame i dislike the Brettonian non-knight units

( I also have a soft spot for big things things that go 'stomp', stegadons, dragons, that sorta thing but having one isnt important to the army)

@Dan yes that idea helps alot :D

Vampire can be quite competitive; however, it revolves around using Hordes of Ghouls(2 poisoning attacks and T4 for 8 points is very cheap) and Grave Guards. Deck out magic heavy vampire and you should be fine.

As for Gun-line and Cavalry, I would suggest Empire and Dark Elf. Empire has a lot of warmachines with many type of templates and some cool looking knights. However, they don't have close combat elites that can kill other elites out there. They revolve around softening things up from range and mob up the rest in hand-to-hand. Dark Elf troop with repeater crossbows can dish out pain from range, although not as good as Empire warmachines. They have very good magic, awesome magic items for lord, and the infamous Hydra. They also have cold one knights, but I would say their infantry units are so-so compare to others out there(except empire, where the troops are quite crappy). DE strengths lie in magic, shooting, and smash things up with Hydra. Elite infantry like Black Guard, Witch, and Executioner back up with banners and cauldron of blood are also very good... but not as good (per point) as Hydra.

Others have made a good point about the looks of the army. Since rules change around pretty often, it's best to have an army that you like to show off on your shelve, instead of one that you try to keep away from other's eyes.

ftayl5
09-02-2011, 06:37

This thing really needs to be replaced with a new version.

GenerationTerrorist
09-02-2011, 10:42
Might one suggest that you look into a Warriors of Chaos army? If you like the custominsable ability of Vampires, then our entire list can be customised with different marks/gifts, etc.

Plus our army is pretty cheap (in terms of cash!) to collect compared to most others....A pair of Batallion boxes plus a character or two, and you'd have a complete 2000pt army :-)

Obviously, the major drawback of the army is the lack of shooting (apart from the Hellcannon) but it excels in every other aspect of the game.

Just throwing a little idea out there for you, so hope you don't mind.
Cheers,
GT

Spawn of Icarus
09-02-2011, 15:17
At the moment im thinking this sort of order of interest:

Empire, Does all 3 phases but im a marine player so worried about how squishy dudes are
Dwarves/WOC, seems like both do 2/3 phases fairly well and individually hard
(New O+G, look good but want to see the rules before adding to the considering list)

I need to do a lot of list digging up for those 3 so i can see how they are used as model wise all 3 look fairly fun to paint so wouldn't mind seeing how different lists for each of them are and if there is more than 1 viable list style for each of them :D

Spawn of Icarus
10-02-2011, 01:52
The other Silly question is what is the average tournament points size for an army (preferably based on uk games) i'm guessing 2k as anything smaller looks very hard to make a list with. As i figured sitting down and writing some list ideas with a points limit might help me decide. :D

(i asked uk wise since im under impression 40k average tourney size in uk is 1500pts compared to 2k elsewhere and wondered if that was same for fantasy?)

N810
10-02-2011, 03:58
Usually between 2000 and 2500.