PDA

View Full Version : Move Marine rules... still to be found?

PatchOnMyShoulder
07-02-2011, 23:09
A few years back some just-for-fun rules for Movie Marines were making the rounds. I want to say they were a WD article but not 100% sure, it's been awhile.

The idea was game stats more in line with the fluff... 10 marine tac squad actually being on par with a IG platoon or 'Nid horde, etc. (and costing in line with that)

Does anyone know if those rules can still be found somewhere? I know it's from an older edition of 40k at this point and all. A .pdf somewhere of it? A website with them on it?

Thanks if anyone knows, if not thanks for trying.

Edit: MOVIE marines, not MOVE marines in the title... any chance a mod can edit that for me *slaps forehead, inserts head to desk*

Lothlanathorian
07-02-2011, 23:11
Do a Search. This is the third thread in a week asking this question. Just search 'movie marines' and you'll get results.

PatchOnMyShoulder
07-02-2011, 23:15
Do a Search. This is the third thread in a week asking this question. Just search 'movie marines' and you'll get results.

Tried that first, clicked search and used movie marines, got a ton of replies. Two mentioned movie marines, none linked to a place to find them. Also tried googling it first with no luck, only one site had them and not in english.

Lothlanathorian
07-02-2011, 23:16
Hmmm...I was sure there was a link posted in one of the threads. I'll give a look and see if I can find anything.

EDIT: I found a place to DL them from

PatchOnMyShoulder
07-02-2011, 23:25
Hmmm...I was sure there was a link posted in one of the threads. I'll give a look and see if I can find anything.

If you can even give me the rough name of the threads I can try a more specific search here.

PatchOnMyShoulder
07-02-2011, 23:26
EDIT: I found a place to DL them from

Oops... or this works too. I have to ask though, it's in English right?

The Italian one off google wasn't helping me much. ;)

Lothlanathorian
07-02-2011, 23:30
Yeah, it is in English. Just send me a PM and I'll get you what you need.

chromedog
08-02-2011, 05:03
I scanned my copy to pdf.
I probably still even have the issue somewhere. Probably.

massey
08-02-2011, 05:55
Basic marines are 100 points each. They're WS and BS 5, Str and T 6, have 2 wounds and 3 attacks. They have a 3+ invulnerable and a 3+ armor save, and can take both of them. They carry a combat knife (rending). Bolters use assault cannon stats (except they're assault instead of heavy). Each guy is an independent character. Stuff like that.

They also have other rules, like stunt doubles (who can eat some of your failed saves). The best thing about the article is that it was written with a good sense of humor. I remember one picture has a marine surrounded by like 50 orks. The caption says something like "Brother Jonas cleverly lures the orks into a trap." Funny stuff.

Lothlanathorian
08-02-2011, 06:45
The copy I found and sent him wasn't a scan of the article, it was typed up rules and stats from the article. If I could get a copy of the scanned article, that would be super.

FarseerMatt
08-02-2011, 07:43
The idea was game stats more in line with the fluff... 10 marine tac squad actually being on par with a IG platoon or 'Nid horde, etc. (and costing in line with that)

Note that the article was not intended to represent "fluffy" marines, it was supposed to represent marines as they would appear in an in-universe war movie :p They literally had rules for plot armour ("stunt doubles") and author bias ("the screenwriter hates us").

Bergioyn
08-02-2011, 10:18
I would apreciate the article too (scanned or not).

Ultrasmurf
08-02-2011, 12:03
Me three it Sounds like a good laugh,

Zweischneid
08-02-2011, 12:12
Movie Marines in 5E (http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2009/12/40k-playtest-movie-marines-in-5e.html)

The kicker really is in the changes to weapons, armour and equipment, as much as in the Marines themselves. Flamer and Heavy Bolter are particular favourites of mine. The Lascannon there also works similar to how some rumors see Tau Railguns working in the tests for a new Tau Codex.

PatchOnMyShoulder
08-02-2011, 22:07
Kind of a follow up question, but given everyone here has some interest in a different take on Marines...

Someone corrected me that this was literally written as a movie in the 40k verse, not fluff Marines.

So what do you think a fluff marine would look like stat wise?

In fluff they're often described being 1 on 20 with say Guardsmen and winning, where as on the table we all know that probably wouldn't go well for 1 Tac Marine vs 20 default Guardsmen.

So where's the happy medium? Where the fluff becomes believable, but not to the exaggerated point of the movie marines/imperial (and chaos, similiar stats) propaganda?

I was thinking something like

+1 to WS, BS, I, W, A, Ld, and 1 better save (with a 5+ invul added if already 2+, and invul improved by 1 if already invul)
And of course a marine bolter no longer the same as a civilian bolter, ditto with other weapons... +1 S, -1 Armor pen, or better range/etc on weapons.

That would let 1 marine start to be on par with 10 guardsmen, though he's still fall to 3 or 4 eldar elites or a genestealer or two.

[Not even remotely asking what one would cost after those bonuses, because I'm not sure you could put marines as in fluff in the game and have it called balanced]

Lothlanathorian
08-02-2011, 23:27
Movie Marines, with less silliness, is close. A lot of shorts in 2nd Ed were written where an army would request Marine aid and a single squad would show up and wreck stuff. Marines should be pretty damn awesome, but not unkillable.

jasdc1
09-02-2011, 01:54
I searched movie marines both with and without quotes and got nothing to which the OP was asking. 3 hits total, 2 for rusted engine and one for Dawn of War II

adeptusphotographicus
09-02-2011, 02:09
the article you are talking about was in White Dwarf #300
pages 130- 135
SPACE MARINES IN THE MOVIES

really funny article, set of rules.

Bergioyn
09-02-2011, 12:08
Small addendum: That would US White Dwarf 300, the UK version doesn't have the rules.