PDA

View Full Version : Stormraven for all?

Darkfang74
08-02-2011, 01:14
I had been told that White Dwarf or something somewhere like an FAQ made mention that all Space Marines could take and use the new Stormraven? And if so where can I find said info?

I'm curious if this is true and if so can the Space Wolves use it as well? I thank you for your help and look forward to your answers. :)

PxDn Ninja
08-02-2011, 01:17
It is rumored that a future issue will say as much, but as of now the official ruling is only Blood Angels (and GK when they come out) can field the Storm Raven.

Grimtuff
08-02-2011, 01:22
How mant goddamn threads are we going to have on this? Do a search. Hell, even look lower down the front page of this very forum and you'll find a virtually identical topic. :rolleyes:

Mannimarco
08-02-2011, 02:04
Ah but thats a general one for non BAs, this one specifically asks for SW and so deserves its own topic ;)

Toadius80
08-02-2011, 02:11
Blame Wayland games news letter. They said they had heard from a very reliable source that all marines are getting it soon and they are getting one for there space wolves.

Inquisitor Gabriel Ashe
08-02-2011, 02:42
Help me be objective about this: Is it mostly Space Wolves players that are pushing for the Raven, or am I just ignoring the many 'nilla, DA, and BT players that are begging for it? I'm curious if I've just developed tunnel-vision.

Azzy
08-02-2011, 02:43
I had been told that White Dwarf or something somewhere like an FAQ made mention that all Space Marines could take and use the new Stormraven? And if so where can I find said info?

I'm curious if this is true and if so can the Space Wolves use it as well? I thank you for your help and look forward to your answers. :)

No, it is not true.

Mannimarco
08-02-2011, 02:46
Although the staff in your local GW will tell you you can, mainly because they want to sell more storm ravens and if you say "if you buy a SR you can use it in the store" then you are more likely to sell one than if you just target BA players.

Vanilla marines would like one to I imagine, theres somthing to be said for a SR carrying an ironclad and a bunch of THSS termys.

Nezalhualixtlan
08-02-2011, 03:03
There are no official rulings that anyone but Blood Angels who have the unit in their Codex can use it. There may at some point be such a ruling. It will likely be in the Grey Knight Codex, but it may have different stats, rules, or point costs, or even be in a different FOC slot for all we know at this point. Anything else at this point is pure speculation.

And this thread really doesn't need to exist with the other nearly identical one going, it's about 19 pages worth of discussion on the topic already.

Lothlanathorian
08-02-2011, 07:26
Help me be objective about this: Is it mostly Space Wolves players that are pushing for the Raven, or am I just ignoring the many 'nilla, DA, and BT players that are begging for it? I'm curious if I've just developed tunnel-vision.

I don't know. I actually play Blood Angels, so, yeah lol.

I have noticed a number of Space Wolves players have said they wanted one, whereas the people saying 'sure, go for it' are talking about Space Marines in general.

PyroSikTh
08-02-2011, 10:58
Stormraven should stay as BA/GK only in my opinion. Kind of makes it a moot introduction to BA if everyone can have it. The Space Marine chapters are in danger of bleeding into one another too much, defeating the point of them having their own codices.

Zweischneid
08-02-2011, 11:06
Stormraven should stay as BA/GK only in my opinion. Kind of makes it a moot introduction to BA if everyone can have it. The Space Marine chapters are in danger of bleeding into one another too much, defeating the point of them having their own codices.

Kinda makes it a moot introduction to GK (including the foreshadowing of said inclusion in the BA-codex) if the intent was to have it chapter-exclusive to one of them.

IMO, there is no danger of BA's loosing their uniqueness. Death Company, Baals, Inferno Pistols, Hand Flamers, Assault Marine Troops, Fast Rhino + variants, unique Dreads, etc... are all clearly linked (unlike the Stormraven) to the unique background of the Blood Angels and will, most likely, all not appear in the Grey Knights book either.

What makes the Stormraven different to Baals or Furiosos that it is spread to the Grey Knights, a Space Marine chapter as different as one can think of from the Blood Angels? That's right, the notion that the Stormraven is not a unique entry to the Blood Angels, but simply a chronological first entry as a result of the Blood Angels publication coinciding with GWs push to bring more "flyers" to 40K.

shabbadoo
08-02-2011, 11:16
As a friend said, don't be surprised if about 6 months after GK come out, and the BA/GK Stormraven hype has begun to die down, that the Stormraven goes free download and is available for all SM Chapters so as to further boost Stormaven sales.

Not a rumor, just talk, so don't anybody get stupid and read something into this. No smilies, just to make that clear.

The Marshel
08-02-2011, 12:31
As a friend said, don't be surprised if about 6 months after GK come out, and the BA/GK Stormraven hype has begun to die down, that the Stormraven goes free download and is available for all SM Chapters so as to further boost Stormaven sales.

Not a rumor, just talk, so don't anybody get stupid and read something into this. No smilies, just to make that clear.

thats really the sum of it. its all one big sales play. in the process of getting flyers into 40k gw decided they would sell the stormraven with 3 major releases.

its actual debut as a blood angles unique heavy skimmer.
then riding the grey knights release, being the favored toy of new players and bandwagonist a like (and of course, the long time players who didn't pre-emtively buy it at the first release).

then either when all the hype over grey knights dies down, or when 6th ed C:sm rolls along, which ever is first, the SR will officially become every marines flyer.

finally, gw will strategically include a beautiful CSM Stormraven conversion in their "whats new today", hoping to snare a few chaos players into throwing their money at the kit.

its just a matter of when GW wants to cash in

Zweischneid
08-02-2011, 12:48
thats really the sum of it. its all one big sales play. in the process of getting flyers into 40k gw decided they would sell the stormraven with 3 major releases.

its actual debut as a blood angles unique heavy skimmer.
then riding the grey knights release, being the favored toy of new players and bandwagonist a like (and of course, the long time players who didn't pre-emtively buy it at the first release).

then either when all the hype over grey knights dies down, or when 6th ed C:sm rolls along, which ever is first, the SR will officially become every marines flyer.

finally, gw will strategically include a beautiful CSM Stormraven conversion in their "whats new today", hoping to snare a few chaos players into throwing their money at the kit.

its just a matter of when GW wants to cash in

True words.

But to the same extend, it is "the community's" own fault for falling for the obvious time and again, first raging passionately about the supposedly intended uniqueness of the stormraven for Blood Angels, later raging passionately about the "betrayal" of GW when they "unlock" it "officially" for Ultramarines, Dark Angels or what-have-you, and in the meanwhile putting off all the more "fun-driven" players that simply see a cool model and want to add it to their blue/green/yellow-Marine-force knowing full and well that GW is just spreading their sales over different quarters.

More often than not these days, it seems like the 40K-fans are simply getting the company they deserve.

yabbadabba
08-02-2011, 12:53
I had been told that White Dwarf or something somewhere like an FAQ made mention that all Space Marines could take and use the new Stormraven? And if so where can I find said info?Nothing formal from GW yet

I'm curious if this is true and if so can the Space Wolves use it as well? I thank you for your help and look forward to your answers. :) If you and your friends are happy enough then why not? If you only play at events, I'd hold off or check with the organiser. If you play at a GW store, I'd check.
In short, your army, your friends, your rules mate. Maybe GW will catch you up :D

jt.glass
08-02-2011, 13:15
The Space Marine chapters are in danger of bleeding into one another too much, defeating the point of them having their own codices.Since the point of having multiple SM 'dexes is to boost sales of the units thay have in common that many times more often, that doesn't really fly!

jt.

Wicksy
08-02-2011, 13:16
Lol, there is a damned good reason why SW's want a storm raven. The ability to get 12 nasty spacewolves (say a unit of grey hunters and a few special characters) and Bjorn the fellhanded into close combat as well as the storm raven can deliver is enough to make any SW player mess his pants with delight ;)

But no, nothing yet about the Storm Raven for anyone other than BA and GK.

tezdal
08-02-2011, 16:56
Well if I played a loyalist chapter(which I don't, but I do have quite a few World Eaters)....I wouldn't care if I got it or not....because it is the ugliest vehicle Games Workshop has ever made...and it's crazyily priced, but too each his own I suppose

Torpedo Vegas
08-02-2011, 17:24
I would hope not, Vanilla Marines reallydon't need another unit, they re fine as is. Wanting the Stormraven is just being greedy.