PDA

View Full Version : Tournament Preparation

Awilla the Hun
08-02-2011, 17:58
The army list has been chosen, and the final figure cases shut. How do the experienced tourney players here psyche themselves up before taking their army into battle?

My method usually involves returning from a skiing holiday the day before; but this doesn't seem very practical.

Torpedo Vegas
08-02-2011, 22:06
I go over basically every little bit of strategy and tactics I know, over my armies and the other ones I am familiar with

...Then I spend the day before fussing over my list and how it isn't good enough but its too late the papers have already been submitted.

cool-kid-on-the-block
08-02-2011, 22:19
take it easy then panic at the last minute.

Wargamejunkie
08-02-2011, 22:23
What you do depends on how much effort you feel like putting into it.

The minimum I usually do is think about the current power lists and what I can do to stop them.

If I feel a little more motivated I read all the latest FAQ's.

Finally if it has been a slow week at work I will look up tournament missions for their past events or of similar sized/themed events.

I also have my mini-rule book highlighted and tabbed to sections where arguments are common to cut down rules argument time. Although this is done well before the tournament during the "Rules Learning" phase of the game.

Leth Shyish'phak
08-02-2011, 22:47
I do some research to find out the adresses of all the other players, then sharpen my axe and paint the Mark of Khorne on my face.

Somehow, I always seem to win...

Tregar
08-02-2011, 23:05
I always sleep really badly the night before a tournament. It doesn't help.

ewar
08-02-2011, 23:20
Get hammered, stagger to car in the morning, leave models at home by accident, desperately try and get brain in gear by 10am. Bloody mary in the bar at 11. Win, win, win. Maybe.

Skitter-Squeek
08-02-2011, 23:22
After you have been playing em for a while you just sorta show up and pray that the dice treat you well. One cannot prep in warhammer going over tactics all too much because most the time something happens you weren't prepared for.

If it's an event that is being held in a convention center or hotel usually my prepping starts at the bar then moves to the tabletop with Seagrams, Coke, and half a lime. :p

Squeek

Edit: lol Ewar beat me to the punch but it's true.

ewar
09-02-2011, 00:15
Haha too true. My first GT I took really seriously, but gradually over the years I go along to have a laugh and see what interesting games happen (quite a lot when you're hungover and not able to count to more than 5 without feeling like you're having a stroke).

If you want my advice - stay away from the filthy combos and see how far you can go with a nice army. It's a fun challenge and you'll always have the moral high ground!

Tregar
09-02-2011, 02:59
Agreed entirely!

Also: have at least one game with the exact army in advance to give you a feel for it. You'll hopefully notice any major mistakes maken. E.g. I tried out my army for the weekend's tournament today, in Blood and Glory. My opponent marched a Treeman into a forest to bring out my fanatics turn 1, and it was only halfway through turn 3 that I realised that this was impossible. Next time I play, I will be very weary of that extra 3" deployment. Also learned about how to position characters in units better, when I flanked a Treekin unit with my main unit, but my BSB being in the centre meant I couldn't avoid contact, and lost the character as a result. Very annoying- but it won't happen again!

Jind_Singh
09-02-2011, 03:53
I'll play a bunch of games to 'prepare myself' but really it's an excuse to play as many games as people will let me!

I'll write a bunch of lists - like 2-3 - and play test them out

I'll then pack away my actual 2500pts of painted stuff which I end up using all the time as I'm too lazy to paint, and it's actually a very sub par and not optimal list!

I'll print off copies of the painted list and stuff them into the case, along with army book

I'll double check my dice/templates bag to see I have what I need

I'll then put the Army case, dice bag, Rule book bag outside

The morning off I'll don my Squig Hopper T-Shirt, collect my bags and off I go!

If I don't sleep the night before it's because I'm trying to paint a unit i had weeks to do but didn't get around to! You can't really do much else as you won't know who you'll play, which scenario - etc, all you can do is have fun and hope that the other player enjoys the games with you so your soft scores don't go down too much!

Don Zeko
09-02-2011, 06:42
Make a list of things that you forget to do (allocating attacks against characters, dispelling remains in play spells, stuff like that) and then write it down. Then make sure that you actually take it with you to the tournament. Then remember how tiny the consequences of losing are, and go have fun.

Djekar
09-02-2011, 07:13
I do much like Don Zeko - I make notes on the army list about who does what. I also bookmark relevent passages in the BRB with some sticky notes in case I need to know them in a pinch (mostly magic lores and such). Then I remember that at tournaments I play Orcs, so I spend some time 'eadbutting the competition to "get a feel fer 'em" and then we have some fun. Most times we insert a lunch break and share war stories and laughs over something alcoholic.