PDA

View Full Version : Orks Squad markings?

Axeman1n
08-02-2011, 19:06
What do you do to denote seperate squads for your orks? I dont wanna have to paint the base a different color, but I feel like I'm going to have to do that, as each ork has different things on them.
For my Catachan army, I painted each of their head bands a distinct color.
Any suggestions? I was sort of thinking their blades?

LonelyPath
08-02-2011, 19:37
One easy way to do it is to have the choppas in one mob in the left hand whilst another is in the right hand. Also works for shootas with them firing left or right handed. For mine though, I gave my Goff Orks checked patterns in certain places. Was more time consuming, but I liked the idea.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I also use darts on some of my models to mark them out as part of a certain mob.

Easy E
08-02-2011, 19:49
They use to have backplates that you could use.

Now, I struggle with it too.

Glyn
08-02-2011, 20:13
why not just paint each mobs armour a different colour...their Orks, so each "clan" would have it's own colours so just try working with that maybe

Gorbad Ironclaw
08-02-2011, 20:31
I done a few things with reversing the colour scheme between there trouses and tops but the easiest way was to include small distinct elements on there bases. So one mob will all have a small white stone etc.

Dwane Diblie
08-02-2011, 20:54
I modeled all of my mobs after a different clan. They are not painted yet but everyone I have played with can diferentiate between then just by the models with out haveing to ask more often than not.

Thoume
08-02-2011, 21:54
For my older 3rd ed. army I used to do a stripe tattoo across the shoulders (blue and red for two duplicate slugga mobs, khaki for shootas, gold shoulder pads for flash gits, red and white checks for tankbustas etc.)

Its something I have to think about for my biker horde, having a few duplicate units that need marking out from one another but wanting to keep the colour scheme uniform...

Sparowl
08-02-2011, 21:59
I don't. I have a pile of unpainted slugga boyz, and a pile of unpainted Shoota boyz. I just pull out enough to make squads.

My painted boyz sit off the the side. But they still make up one big mob that I pull from.

Squad markings...Bah. What do you think we are, Blood Axes?

Azzy
08-02-2011, 22:03
I give each mob different color shirts... I've got a mob of Slugga Boyz with dark red shirts (like blood... It's acceptable by Goff standards), another with black (very Goffy... they used to be Skar Boyz in the old codex so they're also a slightly darker green). I've got Shoota Boyz in Yellow (Bad Moons) and Blue (blue's lucky--they need it to hit things with their shooting). My Trukk-mounted 'Ard Boyz wear red (They're Evil Sunz anyway) as do my Bikers (if I do a second mob of Bikers they'll probably be black--hardcore, y'know). I'm holding out orange for Burna Boyz when I finally get some.

You could also do tattoos/clothing/back plate motifs of mob symbols (like the glyphs or variations of Clan symbols (as on pages 80-81 of the current Ork codex and check out the 2nd ed. Ork codex if you can get a hold of it).

There's a bunch of ways to go about, just chose the right one for you.

Serpent
08-02-2011, 22:11
Toof markings on the shoulder pads in different styles/colours could look good.

Lothlanathorian
08-02-2011, 22:53
I'm going to paint the base ring different on mine. Is simple enough and it works.

Mini77
08-02-2011, 23:04
A good friend of mine always fields lots of boyz and he uses different combinations of colours on the shoulder pads and trousers to make each unit identifiable.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh16/mini77bucket/DSCN1688.jpg

Jonnycron
09-02-2011, 00:50
I'm making my orks blood axes, all of a squads trousers will be in the same camo pattern (one forest, one desert and one arctic) for my boyz squads, plus the battle wagons will sport the same camo patterns on some the plates

GrogDaTyrant
09-02-2011, 01:09
Base rings, 'squad markings', and unit numbers are for weedy armies.

I theme 'mobs'. For instance... one unit will have all goggles and red jackets. Another unit will have helmets. A third will be decked out in lots of bone and skulls. A 4th will use nothing but chainsaw weaponry and be predominantly black. So long as you keep your color scheme constant (i.e. 'Red'), it will still look cohesive.

Ork armies that go for a themed look to each unit are very striking, and make the different mobs easily recognizable. Far more so than something like a 'different number on a shoulder pad'. Plus it looks cool, and is in theme for the army.

Damon
09-02-2011, 03:30
I did mine with using all the same head for each mob.

Lothlanathorian
09-02-2011, 03:35
I like making my Orks like like a large grouping of unruly soccer hooligans. Any form of uniformity (aside from equipment and green) is frowned upon lol.

IVEATCH
09-02-2011, 05:02
Different set of colors on the trousers for each mob. It works!!

Axeman1n
09-02-2011, 16:55
Wow, a ton of good tips. I think I'll try the switching of the colors in my scheme. I don't wanna paint the bases, as I don't think Squad markings should go on bases (the models don't see the bases), and I wanted to stay away from the model matching. Because of the way the AoBR models are built, I thought it would look funny to have a whole mob of Clones.

spiderman5z
09-02-2011, 22:03
numbers at the bottom
of the bases...

stroller
09-02-2011, 23:33
I'm with Iveatch. Same colour trousers - all dirtied (don't ask) but still clear enough to see.

SilverFeather
10-02-2011, 03:07
If you play Blood Axes, just made them copy the imperial way....those copying orks...:shifty: