PDA

View Full Version : army possibilities

stocke2
09-02-2011, 01:24
I am not sure which lotr sbg books to pick up, I would love an army that i could have goblin, uruk-hai, trolls, and a balrog.

I am not sure if it is even possible, i am considering a moria army because i can have the balrog and I love that model, but if there is no way to do it then i imagine can go with an Isengaurd army or a mordor army something that would give me the orcs, uruk-hai, trolls, and maybe some nazgul.

Is it feasable by the way to put a nazgul on a fell beast in a sbg game, if so what point level are we talking about.

unfortunately i play a lot of other games and the only game people really play reliably at the store I prefer to goto is 40k, so i may have to play at different store some time or i need 2 armies for every game i play except for 40k in order to get a game, we do have fantasy players....but i really dont like whfb stopped playing that a long time ago, but lotr is something I have loved since I read it for the first time, when i was in like 6th or 7th grade.

Whitwort Stormbringer
09-02-2011, 03:35
Just start with the hardcover rulebook, since that contains pretty much everything you're after.

SBG doesn't necessarily have strict army lists, although you can always use Legions of Middle Earth (LoME) which does provide army lists and gives rules for which ones can ally.

I don't even own LoME, so I can't give 100% accurate information, but if you want to use those army lists I'm guessing you'd want to go with a Moria-based list (which would allow you to use goblins, cave trolls, and a balrog) and include some allied uruk-hai scouts or something like that. Be warned, though - in SBG you probably won't get all that many chances to use the Balrog. He's very expensive and therefore only gets played often in pretty large battles.

For a Nazgul on fellbeast, that's something you can definitely do in SBG, and would make a great general for a Mordor army. You probably wouldn't find too much use for him in smaller games, but he could definitely work in medium to large battles.

stocke2
09-02-2011, 03:48
Are all the cave troll models(besides the one that comes in the moria box) metal?
I see the mordor trolls are plastic, but it looks like the cave trolls you can buy are all metal which would be unfortunate.

not really anyone playing in this area, maybe one person with elves looking for a game, so i am considering getting the moria box and building a moria army, and possibly dwarves, so can get others in to it or at least others to pick up a game every now and then. Plus can play with my sons, have some battles in the mines of moria, and recreate some battles from the movies and books

by the way has the kazad-dum book been discontinued? if so where do i find the information that was in that book?

ForgottenLore
09-02-2011, 03:58
Yes, other than the one from the moria box the cave trolls are all metal. They are also somewhat smaller than the plastic mordor trolls but they are probably close enough that most people wouldn't mind. They are mounted on different size bases though (40 and 60 mm) so that might be an issue.

lorelorn
10-02-2011, 09:09
by the way has the kazad-dum book been discontinued? if so where do i find the information that was in that book?

No idea. However you can pick up the profiles and special rules here: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=5700005

That should see you right, along with the main rulebook.

Whitwort Stormbringer
10-02-2011, 22:01
Profiles and special rules for several of the books released since the hardcover rulebook are on the GW website, although they don't give any point values (bummer).

I doubt Khazad-Dum is OOP, since it contains several profiles that aren't available anywhere else (including a couple of big guns like the Dragon and Durin). I suppose it's possible, though.