PDA

View Full Version : hardback vs softback

Johnmclane
09-02-2011, 19:40
Looking at the recent warhammer hardback book and the soon-to-be-released Ork army book http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440004a&prodId=prod1120031a I get a bit envious.

Would you like to see WH40k-books in full-colour hardback (rules and codex) , even with the price increase?

Simo429
09-02-2011, 19:41
Not at all, they sit on the shelf and never move once they have been read once.

Lord Damocles
09-02-2011, 19:42
No.

For the same reason I've never seen anybody take the hardback rulebook to a game.

dragonet111
09-02-2011, 19:42
YES.

I like books and I don't care paying more for a hardcover codex/army book.

PyroSikTh
09-02-2011, 19:43
Yes and No.

Yes, because they give an aura of quality and prestige. It's just nicer reading/looking through a well-presented, full-colour hardback.

No, because it's not very practical for gaming.

The new Orc and Goblin Army Book does look fantastic though. I'm pretty sure that's how Grey Knights will be presented.

jack da greenskin
09-02-2011, 19:49
I would pay extra for it, especially as its only a fiver more so the increase in quality is not as much as the increase in price.

Not exceptionally practical for gaming mind, maybe GW could release the core rules as a pdf for us all to stick on our kindles :P

TheMav80
09-02-2011, 19:55
As I have already stated in the "Pricing Feedback" topic...

$37.25 is a ridiculous amount to pay for a Warhammer rulebook. Sure, if you look at it with GW goggles on, it doesn't seem so bad since it is only $6.25 over the cost of a soft cover...except the prices on the softcovers are already ridiculous.

I have hardcover, full color, RPG books with twice the page count sitting on my shelf that cost $29.99 retail. Why they hell would I pay more than that for a book half the size?

Bunnahabhain
09-02-2011, 20:19
Only if a legal PDF of the list is freely available as well.

Paying slightly more, for a bigger, better book? Fine
Carrying those books about? No thanks.
If I'm carrying something that size, it should be a folder with the complete set of rules, army lists, FAQs etc, for the whole of 40K.

shin'keiro
09-02-2011, 20:47
I'd like to see codices the same size as the Assault on Black Reach rulebook

I have hardcover, full color, RPG books with twice the page count sitting on my shelf that cost $29.99 retail. Why they hell would I pay more than that for a book half the size?
Yes agreed - i have them too...

DnD 20 for 320 colour pages!!

GW 17.50 for 90 black and white\colour pages

I dont know how they justify it

Captain prophet
09-02-2011, 20:54
$37.25 is a ridiculous amount to pay for a Warhammer rulebook. Sure, if you look at it with GW goggles on, it doesn't seem so bad since it is only $6.25 over the cost of a soft cover...except the prices on the softcovers are already ridiculous.

Ha I'd love to pay only $37.25 for an army book seeing as in aus the softbacks are $48 ($48.4 US) and the new O&G hard back is $62 aus ($62.6 US) :wtf: .

Infact next time you are feeling down about GW prices hop on the Australian GW site look at some of the stuff on there and realise that the US and aus dollar are equal :rolleyes: .

RunepriestRidcully
09-02-2011, 20:58
Whilst genrally I prefere my books hardback, from the picture it looks like the hard back you get on those large kiddie books that are usually "my first bible stories" (my gran used to buy them) or those science books aimed at small kids, plus it is a change from the softcover codex style they have had since they brought codex/army books out, and suprisingly for a Tzeentch player, I am genrally cynical about change. there is also the biggest problem, the price... 22.50, that is someting I feel is too steep for the price, and this is coming from someone who blows most of his money on books and has considered getting a 1st edition copy of the similarian for 30 and people have made jokes about me robbing liberaries that contain valuable/old books in, when a bookophile like me is hesitant and not keen on the price, I don't think those who are not so keen on books will be too happy about it.
I also remember when I first started, codeci cost 12... how times change :(

Erwos
09-02-2011, 21:01
I'd like to see codices the same size as the Assault on Black Reach rulebook
HELL YES. In fact, a rules-only version would be terrific.

Vaktathi
09-02-2011, 21:04
What I put the most emphasis on in an army book is good fluff, lots of fluff, cool pictures (coloration doesn't necessarily matter), and good army lists. Harback and fullcover is cool, but not necessary, although would help reduce wear on paperpack codecies.

Given that codecies have increased in price by 50% in like three years, going from $30 to $37.25 isn't too huge of a deal for on-off purchases.

AlphariusOmegon20
10-02-2011, 01:35
No.

For the same reason I've never seen anybody take the hardback rulebook to a game.

LOL I take mine.

TheMav80
10-02-2011, 01:45
I'd like to see codices the same size as the Assault on Black Reach

I'd rather have books that actually fit into my bookshelves.

Sgt John Keel
10-02-2011, 01:47
I like the cover design a lot better (and the choice of cover art is far superior than most of their books), and I hope they bring this over to 40k. I also hope that with the move to full-colour printing, they decided to use better inks that don't smear on the opposite page (Although why they still use black-and-white art when they can use full colour is beyond me).

Anyway, if the binding is of good quality, I'm all for hard cover codices. I just hope it's better than the awful quality of the 4th edition rulebook (I have no experience with the hardcover of 5th).

Bunnahabhain
10-02-2011, 02:01
(Although why they still use black-and-white art when they can use full colour is beyond me).

As monochrome, done well, is at least as good, if not better than full colour.

You need the right kind of image, but 40k has many of them.

Nezalhualixtlan
10-02-2011, 02:01
Would you like to see WH40k-books in full-colour hardback (rules and codex) , even with the price increase?

I had to pick that I don't care, if you would have put up GW figuring out some way to make digital e-books of the Codexes and rules workable for their business model, then I would have chosen that.

Chem-Dog
10-02-2011, 02:08
I would like two different options, a Gamer's edition a soft back, possibly a little lighter on the fluff side, possibly even a compact A5 size and cheaper and a Collector's edition which is all colour, rammed with extra stuff and Hardback.

Kinda like the two versions of the rulebook you can aquire.
A fair few people I know have bought 40K starter kits JUST for the book, owning neither SM or Ork (or previously SM or Tyranid) armies, so I think it could work.

I'd buy collector's for all the armies I don't collect and both for those I do.

The Orange
10-02-2011, 02:57
I said no simply because it would be GW implementing it and thus would cost outrageous amounts of money. As a collector I would love fullcover hardbacks, and regularly get them for Warmachine/Hordes. But I wouldn't buy them from GW.

battybattybats
10-02-2011, 03:55
I would like two different options, a Gamer's edition a soft back, possibly a little lighter on the fluff side, possibly even a compact A5 size and cheaper and a Collector's edition which is all colour, rammed with extra stuff and Hardback.

Kinda like the two versions of the rulebook you can aquire.
A fair few people I know have bought 40K starter kits JUST for the book, owning neither SM or Ork (or previously SM or Tyranid) armies, so I think it could work.

I'd buy collector's for all the armies I don't collect and both for those I do.

Good call!
I'd like to see that too. Shrink-wrap the two together so the person gets the table-handy book along with the fancy gussied-up book.

A Tyranid Codex with all the great bits of background and stories from past editions? With pages of large-sized artworks gleaning the best of each edition all the way back to Advanced Space Crusade, Space fleet and the awesome black and white 1st ed space hulk art (why oh why didn't they use those artworks as the basis for the battlefleet gothic tyranid ships?) and colour plates of some of the fantastic paintings from over the years? I would adore such a book!

Heck some of the old cross-hatch black and white artwork from rogue trader and adeptus titanicus was gobsmackingly atmospheric too. GW has a treasure trove of material they could fill these books with!

I've already made a satin ribbon Tyranid bookmark (plastic skull on one end, tyranid warrior head on the other) i'd love a deluxe book to put it in!

Sgt John Keel
10-02-2011, 04:42

I'm not disputing that, but I know if I was producing a four-colour book, I would be loath to waste that colour on just a pretty background pattern (especially as the vibrant background contrasts a fair bit with the austere black-and-white art [although the sepia seems to bleed through]). Last time they tried increasing the number of colour pages (Warhammer Armies: Ogre Kingdoms), they did have the bestiary art in colour as well as photography of the unit in question.

Angelwing
10-02-2011, 05:07
I'd very much prefer full colour hardback.
But:
GW rulebooks go out of date. They can still be relevant and a good read for pictures, background and painting / modelling, but the reason the majority of people buy them is for the rules. Some GW books last 10 years, some last just 4 or less (codex battle sisters had 3 years...) The majority of other books on my shelf will be as readable as they are now for well, forever. They are worth the price. GW books are steeply increasing in price, beyond the considerable expense for books in general. I've already passed over the current skaven, space marine, planetstrike, apocalypse (plus associated titles) and warhammer fantasy books as being too expensive for the use I'll get out of them. I'm dreading universal colour hardbacks. It will mean more rulebooks will be passed over. A 6th ed warhammer 40k in the style of the current fantasy book will make me snort in derision, then wait however long for the boxset small book to become a sensible price on ebay. (I'm still waiting for the fantasy small book to drop enough)
This is a real shame. Army books were the one thing that GW did that shined price wise, having remained steady and sensible since the mid 90's. In the last few years it seems even they have fallen prey to the runaway increases.

Sparowl
10-02-2011, 05:25
Nope, not going to pay those kind of prices. As was brought up before, I have roleplaying books that are twice or three times the size for less money. In full color, hardback.

GW has lost it when it comes to pricing. There's a difference between "We're a luxury product, so we'll charge a premium" and "We'll charge whatever we want, cause we believe you'll pay it".

Bloodknight
10-02-2011, 07:58
(codex battle sisters had 3 years...)

Not even that. That book is from 1997, IIRC, and when 3rd ed came out in 1998 it was unusable. The Assassins codex had mere months, too ;)

I don't actually care if it's hardback or softback (as long as they make the binding work this time), and for some reason I don't like the design of the OnG book, it's too oldschool for me; especially the OnG title emblem in red.

bringerofdecay
10-02-2011, 08:08

agreed with this, some of the B&W pictures for 40k wouldn't be half as grim dark in full technicolour.

Born Again
10-02-2011, 09:12
You know, part of me wants to say yes, as it would no doubt be a gorgeous book, but part of me wants to say no as codex books cost enough already if you play multiple armies, and taking around a large hardcover book to games would be a pain. Having said that, I rarely play outside my place so overall it's leaning on the side of yes for me.

Godzooky
10-02-2011, 09:16
I think a smaller floppy one is good for when you have to travel somewhere to play, but when you wanna get serious at home, a big hard one just feels better in your hands.

Gingerwerewolf
10-02-2011, 09:47
I guess what Id like is for the two parts of my personality to be satisfed.

So a Full Colour, Hardback (Perhaps even Leather bound?) book for reading in my library at home with a roaring open fire, on a Leather Chair, with a Glass of "Old Cornelius's Exceeding Bizzare", while dressed in a Smoking Jacket and Slippers.

And

A version for my Kindle or other Digital device, together with all the Codicies that Ill need, fully text searchable and indexed

(See what I did there - linked two threads together (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291535))

Angelwing
10-02-2011, 09:56
Not even that. That book is from 1997, IIRC, and when 3rd ed came out in 1998 it was unusable. The Assassins codex had mere months, too ;)

Gah! :o Quite right. I must take off my rose tinted spectacles regarding the old battle sisters book. The 2nd assassin codex was given away free with white dwarf though IIRC. The 3rd ed assassin codex was very cheap but didn't last long either.

DeeKay
10-02-2011, 10:22
I don't mind that much either way. If they are bringing in hardback as a standard, all I ask is that the new books prove to be worth the money. As harsh as it sounds, given GW's recent offerings I doubt that they will be worth it. I will have a flick through the new O&G book before passing any sort of judgement though.

With regards,
Dan.

Jake
10-02-2011, 10:32
Yes please! If...

- The book is well edited and well presented.
- The binding is well doe and doesn't fall apart within the first few months.
- The use of color is tastefully expanded throughout the book.
- The page count is increased to include more fluff, more art and more photos.

I was hocked to see how much the Dark Eldar codex cost (I haven't bought a codex since Space Wolves in 34d edition). at the time I told a friend that for that much we should be getting a full color hardcover. And now it looks like for just a few dollars more we can.

I'll happily pay for the durability of a hardcover. Every codex I own falls apart within a few months.

eyescrossed
10-02-2011, 10:33
EDIT: Never mind... Thread killing comment removed.

Born Again
10-02-2011, 13:43
I think a smaller floppy one is good for when you have to travel somewhere to play, but when you wanna get serious at home, a big hard one just feels better in your hands.

I see what you did there. :shifty:

omegoku
10-02-2011, 14:06
B&W softback, with colour pages to show some paint jobs in the middle.
Keep the price down, it is already way too high.
I miss paying a tenner for a new codex

ColShaw
10-02-2011, 14:10
More expensive rulebooks? Really, GW?

Sigh. I'd rather just have the damn rules.

jack da greenskin
10-02-2011, 18:33
(I haven't bought a codex since Space Wolves in 34d edition).

meh, the things they nerfed in 34th made the step up from 33rd a big change. Personally, I didnt like it although the missions were pretty decent.

Sgt John Keel
10-02-2011, 19:02
B&W softback, with colour pages to show some paint jobs in the middle.
Keep the price down, it is already way too high.
I miss paying a tenner for a new codex

I don't think it's the printing costs that keep the price high.

Eldoriath
10-02-2011, 19:47
I like the idea of a small, handy rulecodex for each army. Then alongside, or irregularly, they could release full-sized, full colored fluff books with or without rules. Perhaps throw in a few extra units or something as a bonus to further encourage buying it.

I'm one of those persons that enjoy B/W, sketchy pictures since they tend to have more feeling about them if you see what I mean. They haven't been refined to such a grade that all the minor flaws and feelings have been obliterated.

Though I do enjoy finished pictures I like them to keep a little bit of sketchy feeling, a bit of rough lines and suchlike. What I hate the most is pictures that have been photo-shopped to death, removing all minor flaws and making it into a bleak impression of what it was meant to be.

XmarvX
10-02-2011, 19:58
You would think hard-back versions would be popular, Being heavier should'nt be an issue;
If you are happy to put time and effort into packaging your miniatures for travel, which for many means using the big bulky games workshop carry cases, then carrying a book is little extra :/ whats more I wouldn't walk very far with my miniature collection, So wouldn't have to carry this book far either.
For any moderate length journey I seriously hope all of you would drive/arrange a lift/shell out for a taxi purely on risking damaging your miniatures with extended travel times by walking!

I read about the older books having poor quality bindings... this would obviously be a failing factor on games workshops part, and I would hope you all have the common sense to check out the quality of something like that before forking out the cash for it.

Price may be an issue, as has been raised many times in this thread. But when is price not an issue with Games Workshop?! They have a bit of a catch 22 situation, theyre clearly loosing out because of illegal pdf copies of the books (a little searching will find you most any of the books they sell in pdf format... its really not difficult), so they jack prices to counter losses, which encourages more to pirate their material. The same can be said for their figures, One day its going to be more viable to mold and cast our own duplicates of their miniatures than it would be to buy several boxes of the same guys (this is going to be true for space marines before other races as you can make a working army with some variation in units out of a relatively small range of different figures)... which is a sad turn of events.

I love the Warhammer 40k and fantasy universes and all their wealth of backstory and constant updates. But Games workshop can only push the 'Luxury Item Premium' style pricing so far before it becomes just plain unreasonable. I'm not saying we're quite there yet but gamesworkshop will push it this far in the end.(we could be?!... does anyone know how much it would cost to set up a casting workshop at home?)

althathir
10-02-2011, 19:59
I wish there was an option for both, personally I'd like it if there was a limited print of hardcovers in addition to the softcover. Full color would be nice but I also like the black and white pictures.

Mannimarco
10-02-2011, 20:15
I like the idea of a small, handy rulecodex for each army. Then alongside, or irregularly, they could release full-sized, full colored fluff books with or without rules. Perhaps throw in a few extra units or something as a bonus to further encourage buying it.

An interesting concept: A small codex for each army with additional big full sized hardback books maybe with some rules and units or even alternate lists to encourage people, have lots of cool artwork in each one and perhaps even photographs done up to make it look like the unit/vehicle actually in a real war and not just on a table...its new...its genius....its....Imperial Armour! :shifty:

Im all for hardback books, I just enjoy how it looks and feels so much better than a paperback codex. Not exactly practical which is why an A5 codex with just the rules for the army would be good for those who only want that but there is a place for the hardback book with its fluff, pics and rules.

Johnmclane
12-02-2011, 01:20
I'd like the hardback full colour because you still have the old codexes even after a new one is released and the fluff differs as well as the art and models so it's fun to read 2d ed books even now. I'd like to read my 6 ed when we are well into 11 ed :)

Shnerg
12-02-2011, 03:22
An interesting concept: A small codex for each army with additional big full sized hardback books maybe with some rules and units or even alternate lists to encourage people, have lots of cool artwork in each one and perhaps even photographs done up to make it look like the unit/vehicle actually in a real war and not just on a table...its new...its genius....its....Imperial Armour! :shifty:

I dislike you now. I had that exact thought. You made me have a sad. And I'm scared of clowns too. Way to ruin my day. D:

But yeah, on a serious note, they should have AoBR size Codices/exes and large, full colour ones.

TheLaughingGod
12-02-2011, 03:41
If hardcover means full colour, larger books, I'm all for it, even for extra cash. I like gaming books that are well done.

Hellebore
12-02-2011, 03:46
Only if they are actually larger. Hard cover 80 pages books just feel wrong, like they're a chihuahua that thinks it's a great dane.

I'm also not a fan of the fluff and rules being mixed together. It means the fluff is edition dependent and changes or gets inconsistent. If they were separate then the fluff would stay regardless of edition.

Hellebore

bluenova
12-02-2011, 03:51
It's not so much a question of what I want, but what my wife will allow :shifty:

What about an option for: Full colour, Hardback, ebay :eek:

TheLaughingGod
12-02-2011, 03:53
Only if they are actually larger. Hard cover 80 pages books just feel wrong, like they're a chihuahua that thinks it's a great dane.

I'm also not a fan of the fluff and rules being mixed together. It means the fluff is edition dependent and changes or gets inconsistent. If they were separate then the fluff would stay regardless of edition.

Hellebore

Well, I mean, honestly, fluff and rules need to be as close as possible. Otherwise you get the entire Eldar codex. Where the lore has them as highly skilled elite armies with advanced weapons and who's greatest concern is personal safety! And then you play the game and you have Guardians and Shadow Spectres :rolleyes:

ForgottenLore
12-02-2011, 03:55
I like this idea of small, softcover books with just rules and larger, hardcover, color books with fluff.

I could also see the small books being geared specifically toward balanced tournament army lists, while the bigger books could also include off the wall variant lists and such.

Yes, remarkably similar to Imperial Armour, but $40-$50 each instead of $100+

Hellebore
12-02-2011, 04:00
Well, I mean, honestly, fluff and rules need to be as close as possible. Otherwise you get the entire Eldar codex. Where the lore has them as highly skilled elite armies with advanced weapons and who's greatest concern is personal safety! And then you play the game and you have Guardians and Shadow Spectres :rolleyes:

Yes, but they rules don't need to be spread amongst the fluff in the book to do that. I always find the fluff with game mechanics in it immersion breaking.

EDIT: A big hardback background book with uniforms, regimental organisation, short stories etc and a small rules booklet that tells you nothing but the name of a unit/item and its stats and points cost.

I always look at my IA books sadly when I see whole chunks of them are completely out of date. It really detracts from the awesomeness of those books.

Hellebore

LonelyPath
12-02-2011, 11:48
I want it as it is now, we're already paying over the odds for our books, why should be have to pay more?

kane40k
12-02-2011, 12:38
Depends i mean. . the price increase is a put off... BUT then it looks so pretty. .

i think id like to see Hard Back Full on Mega Fluff Bibles with lists in and then a free fluffless black and white Ebook with just the lists in so i can use the new rules without having to choose between alcohol or a book then when i come in to more money i can buy the 'Forces of Chaos' bible :D . . .