PDA

View Full Version : How about this for a Mumak counts as?

ForgottenLore
09-02-2011, 22:31
So new WFB Orcs and Goblins just hit advance order.

I immediately thought of using one of these

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440004a&prodId=prod900159a

as a counts as Mumak ally for my Misty Mountains army.

What do you guys think? I'm a little concerned it may be kinda small but I don't have a Mumak handy to measure right now. The spider is about 4"x6" (100mmx150mm base).

Dezartfox
09-02-2011, 23:09
I was going to take all the gobbos off and use it as a Dragon :) I already have a big spider to use as a cave drake :D

Jobu
10-02-2011, 02:07
I thought about using this as a spider queen or shelob, but will have to see the model first and see if it is convertible.

Xelee
10-02-2011, 02:27
I like it, it seems tailor-made for that purpose. Even if sizes aren't quite perfect, isn't the base the Mumak is on a standard GW base and you could re-base using that? It is just ideal for an army led by Druzhag, and has the archer mounts and everything.

Btw, in the vein of 'counts as' for Moria: a mate did something interesting (it actually looked really good on the table) with cheap toy spiders:
http://krugerskreations.blogspot.com/2011/02/arachniphobia-war-of-ring-spider-army.html

Cheers

lorelorn
10-02-2011, 09:06
If you like it, sure.

I felt it summed up the difference between the well-proportioned LotR figs and the comparatively toy-like warhammer models.

Maybe the worst of the Warhammer-ness can be covered or cut away, and it would make a great in theme Mumak ally for a spider based Misty Mountains army.

ForgottenLore
11-02-2011, 01:53
I thought about using this as a spider queen or shelob, but will have to see the model first and see if it is convertible.

I thought about Shelob too, but I think this is probably way too big for her. Shelob is (I think) mounted on a 60mm base. This thing is on a base 2.5 times that big, and more than 1.5 times as wide, and it looks like the legs just barely fit on that base, I just don't see it working for Shelob.

Another thought occurred to me, using it as a Moria mumak will finally give me a reason to use a bunch of those goblin archers I have. :D

Maybe the worst of the Warhammer-ness can be covered or cut away, and it would make a great in theme Mumak ally for a spider based Misty Mountains army.

I am already using the WFB spiders from Skull Pass as LotR giant spiders, so this will actually fit the look extremely well. I think my main concern is not getting rid of the warhammer-ness but finding ways to add LotR goblin-ness to it.

lorelorn
11-02-2011, 08:41
I am already using the WFB spiders from Skull Pass as LotR giant spiders, so this will actually fit the look extremely well. I think my main concern is not getting rid of the warhammer-ness but finding ways to add LotR goblin-ness to it.

Maybe rebuild the howdah construction with bits looking like the rough goblin constructions in the Moria terrain pictured in various rulebooks and sourcebooks? Have the goblins running around on that like a bunch of mad scaffolders?

Firmlog
11-02-2011, 11:51
I think it would work. I was putting one together today at my local shop. The Spider can be used without the use of the howdah, in fact there isn't any specific places (divots) on the spider to attach it.

Based on the scale of the moria goblins you could put them on the howdah, though I don't know if you could fit 13. The howdah will look fine in scale comparison especially based on the Howdah size and the harad.