PDA

View Full Version : the Arachnarok in 40k

Darwin_green
09-02-2011, 22:58
so how many of you tyranid players are planning on turning this spider into a humongous biobeast?

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440004a&prodId=prod900159a

stroller
09-02-2011, 23:13
My first thought was "no!".

Then I looked again and thought "Hang on...."

Damn you!

Vaktathi
09-02-2011, 23:31
I was thinking it would suit a Tervigon quite nicely.

Raibaru
09-02-2011, 23:38
Drow themed dark eldar army. Talos maybe.

Thoume
09-02-2011, 23:44
Called it in the rumour thread that someone out there was thinking the same thing ;)

Certainly would be big enough seeing the army pictures of them standing next to regular minis...

Bestaltan
09-02-2011, 23:47

So that's where the Tyranid second wave got to!!

Ozendorph
09-02-2011, 23:48
Yeah as soon as a I saw it I thought "that's going to cut into FW's scythed heirodule sales"

Beyond that, I figure I'll come up with some way to make a Daemon gargantuan creature out of one. Or three ;)

DJ3
09-02-2011, 23:54
It's safe to say we'll be seeing plenty of Tervnaroks. Slap a Carnifex or Trygon head onto that thing and it's 90% of the way there.

Bold_or_Stupid
09-02-2011, 23:59
I was planning on adding some guns and calling it a Squiggoth.

Lord Asgul
10-02-2011, 00:14
I was thinking, Daemonic Beasty...then I thought for a bit. Giant Spider + Obliterator Virus = Uber-killy death beast.

Nezalhualixtlan
10-02-2011, 00:54

I was thinking the abdomen section could certainly serve in that capacity in combination with carnifex bits.

Chem-Dog
10-02-2011, 01:56
I was thinking, Daemonic Beasty...then I thought for a bit. Giant Spider + Obliterator Virus = Uber-killy death beast.

You read Storm of Iron? Replace "Giant Spider" with any given Tyranid creature ;)

Personally I'm considering it for a Soul Grinder or even a Leman Russ....yes, really.

Darwin_green
10-02-2011, 04:22
it would make an impressive Greater daemon in a Chaos space marine army. Though I think it might be a little big for the trygon base.

TimLeeson
10-02-2011, 05:18
It tempts me to do a whole "Counts-as" spider army to be honest.

With the real thing, snoozing on her log at the back... :rolleyes:

solkan
10-02-2011, 06:34
it would make an impressive Greater daemon in a Chaos space marine army. Though I think it might be a little big for the trygon base.

You'd be insulting the model by using the summoned greater daemon rules. :cries:

It's big enough to be a vehicle, that'd probably be a better use for it.

Darwin_green
10-02-2011, 06:37
of course if they start writing warhammer fantasy movies, they'll hire Kevin smith to write and insists that an arachnarok appear in the 3rd act.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgYhLIThTvk

pixelgeek
10-02-2011, 06:44
I'm with Chem Dog, it has Soulgrinder written all over it

Bob Hunk
10-02-2011, 10:11
so how many of you tyranid players are planning on turning this spider into a humongous biobeast?

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440004a&prodId=prod900159a

Whoa...good call! :eek: I'm thinking Heirodule.:cool:

Jind_Singh
10-02-2011, 10:30
mmm, some kind of transport.....but which army - guess only Chaos comes close as nids don't have transports.

Wouldn't be too hard to add weapons on it - in a decent way

And how amazing would it look wrecked - upside down with it's spidy legs in the air!

:D

Hellebore
10-02-2011, 10:54
Weeeell, dead spiders curl their legs up underneath them when they die, so it wouldn't have its legs in the air.

I reckon it could be used for all sorts of things. It would certainly fit a dark eldar Beastmaster style Heavy Support option, counts as Talos. Have beast masters riding it with turrets bolted into its carapace and powered scythe blades attached to its legs for extra slashiness.

Hellebore

nedius
10-02-2011, 11:14
This thing does reek 'nid.

Not to hard to greenstuff nid carapace onto it, or to use the bits to enhance fex/trygon kits.

Definately a 'bits' buy.

Lothlanathorian
10-02-2011, 11:16

I'd love to see it, but, at the same time, would feel the almost irresistible compulsion to kill it to death.

madden
10-02-2011, 11:18
I'm gettin two one for fantasy and one for my nids depending on size it's a tervigon or hyradual of some discription I may even use it as a gargantuan squiggoth in appoc, so definatly being used.

Grindgodgrind
10-02-2011, 11:21
Well, I'd like one or two for my fantasy greenskins, but I reckon one could easily be made into a Snakebite Ork counts as Battlewagon.....

Dunklezahn
10-02-2011, 11:42
Hello my new Tyrannofex, replace the silly gobbo crew with a honking great Biocannon and replace the head and I think we have a winner.

Lothlanathorian
10-02-2011, 11:45
Remember, kids, Tyranids are all six legged beasties. :p

Bob Hunk
10-02-2011, 12:36

Yes that occured to me too. I was thinking about adapting the front two legs to be weapons arms instead, like the old epic Heirodule. That'd look pretty good I think and is probably the easiest way to solve the problem. :cool:

EDIT: Hmmm, although now I look at that picture the old Heirodule has four legs (plus a spiked tail at the back) and the weapon arms count as the other two limbs. Same with the modern FW Heirodule. Ah well, I guess I could still have the front limbs as guns and leave off one of the two middle pairs. :)

Mannimarco
10-02-2011, 12:37
Ah but tyranids evolve super fast to deal with any situations that may arise....so.....well.....er.....8 legs are better than 6 so its evolution! whew saved it :cool:

Dunklezahn
10-02-2011, 13:14

Thats always bugged (tee-hee) me about Nids, did they decide 6 limbs was optimum? The Tyrannofex walks on four with two forming the gun, why not 4 limbs and a back cannon since thats effectively what it has?

I reckon thats just a base model, this is like a Nid deluxe with 2 extra and go faster stripes... :D

No limb counting is gonna stop me using that cool beast!

Born Again
10-02-2011, 13:26
Forget using it in 40k, models like that actually make me consider starting Fantasy just for it.

Latro_
10-02-2011, 14:54
One idea that sprung to my mind and i dont do this army but maybe an eldar exodite beasie transport.

Or stick some catachan weapon teams on the top and use it as a Hydra tank

Sircyn
10-02-2011, 16:47
I'm getting hold of one to turn into a Nurgle Daemon Prince. I'm sure I'll find a way to give it wings somehow! :D

Eldoriath
10-02-2011, 17:36
It's simply an amazing model begging to be used in so many ways as possible =)

Deus Mechanicus
10-02-2011, 17:45
I plan of cooking up some apocalypse rules to use it as a Dark Eldar beast.

jack da greenskin
10-02-2011, 18:11
hhmm Might make a nice mawloc for a starship troopers inspired nid army... Bursting from the ground maybe...

*scrambles away and plans list...*

10-02-2011, 19:06
I want to loot it, personally.

Hey, if you can loot a Carnifex or a Monolith, there's nothing stopping you from looting this guy! Strap a big gun to it and paint it red and you're good to go...

Lothlanathorian
10-02-2011, 20:42
I want to loot it, personally.

Hey, if you can loot a Carnifex or a Monolith, there's nothing stopping you from looting this guy! Strap a big gun to it and paint it red and you're good to go...

Throw some blue stripes on it. You know, for luck :p

Clang
10-02-2011, 21:37
It would indeed make a good tervigon or tyrannofex conversion base - sadly, we don't know whether GW is releasing an official tervigon/tyrannofex kit as rumoured... I'll probably buy one anyway, as I wouldn't want my tervigons and tyrannofexes to look too similar to each other...

redyellowpinkgreen
10-02-2011, 22:19
am i the only person who though death world guard tank when they first saw it, nids didn't even cross my mind, maybe i'm just a freak..

Grimtuff
10-02-2011, 23:27

Like this (http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=26953)?

Not my work BTW, i've admired this army for a long time and this beastie may just be the little push I need to emulate it. ;)

Heafstaag
11-02-2011, 00:37
I'm going to make one into a snakebite battlewagon!

zam2
11-02-2011, 00:43
Drow themed dark eldar army. Talos maybe.

Nice idea, a hideously expensive idea(at least for those of us down here in Aus) but a nice idea nonetheless.

-Loki-
11-02-2011, 23:36
For a Tervigon, the 4th pair of legs is easily solved by not using them. Just file the leg joints down so they're no longer visible, and use monstrous creature scything talons to replace the legs. Cut up a Carnifex head to replace the spider face, and use green stuff to make a birth canal on the tail.

Retribution
11-02-2011, 23:44
As "buggy" as the 'Nids are, i really don't think this fits their overall aesthetic...would make an interesting conversion for a Tervigon though

Astraeos
12-02-2011, 01:19
It's a nice looking model, and to be honest I'd like to use it as a big spider thing! Maybe even convert some Forest Goblin spider mounts into some sort of spider-centaur infantry? Is there anything like that in the fluff somewhere? What army list to use though?

Damn new ideas, still got Space Wolves and Skaven to do!

Lord Asgul
12-02-2011, 01:39
You read Storm of Iron? Replace "Giant Spider" with any given Tyranid creature ;)

Personally I'm considering it for a Soul Grinder or even a Leman Russ....yes, really.

I've got a Obliterator-fex in the process at the moment, with a Vulcan Mega Bolter for an arm. I'm writing rules for this as an apocalypse formation unit (it deserves it) where I am changing the body weapons to include larger weaponry including Battle Cannon and Conversion Beamer (they dumped it in an armoury/tank factory and it absorbed the weapons there).

But an Obliterator-rok would be very fun...oh yes...very very fun indeed...:evilgrin:

Firmlog
12-02-2011, 05:27
The Drow themed Dark Eldar idea set my spidey sense tingling for Drow Grotesques and or wracks.

Angelwing
12-02-2011, 09:46
I see this as a squiggoth. Must..not...buy...

Matt.Wood88
12-02-2011, 10:27
I was thinking of using it as a tervigion (read brain bug from starship troopers) by turning it around, cutting the back half off so it just looks like a big ball-esque thing and then greenstuffing around where the cuts are to mimic those parts around the body, adding a big spike to the back where the 'pincers' are and then underneath it having it carried by a bunch of spiders :)
Cheers
Matt

The Obdurate Bureaucrat
12-02-2011, 10:38
Daemon engine, I think :D. Blood Slaughterer, Defiler...wonder if it's big enough to double as a small Brass Scorpion?

Whitehorn
12-02-2011, 10:46
Personally I am thinking planet Murder.

Astraeos
12-02-2011, 15:12
Last night I had a quick look at Lexicanum to see what other Xenos species there are, and what did I find?

Megarachnids :eek:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Megarachnids

Now I'm considering new ideas! Whitehorn seems to be thinking the same thing by the looks of it!

BeatTheBeat
12-02-2011, 15:29
[Shameless plug] All you guys planning on doing this, PM me to get some cash for the crew! [/Shameless plug]

Sorry mods, I usually don't do this, but desperate times call for desperate measures!

Cheers,
BTB

Monospot
12-02-2011, 16:05
Spider riding Orks could easily make Snakebite Bikerboys (clouds of silk is like clouds of dust), and the big spider could make a decent Trukk...or Battlewagon....

It is the dawn of the Spiderbite Clan!

TimLeeson
12-02-2011, 16:09
Like this (http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=26953)?

Not my work BTW, i've admired this army for a long time and this beastie may just be the little push I need to emulate it. ;)

I was thinking...more Tarantula-ish :) so id need to make them look fluffy. Already got the HQ snoozing happilly in her tunnel in her tank...just have to nudge her onto the gaming table (if she can be bothered).

Earthbeard
12-02-2011, 16:47
The Drow themed Dark Eldar idea set my spidey sense tingling for Drow Grotesques and or wracks.

You mean Drider-wracks/grotesques :P

Astraeos
13-02-2011, 01:19
It probably won't be competitive but a Daemons of Chaos counts as army with Daemonettes being represented by the Forest Goblin mounts with the Arachnoroks as Keepers of Secrets may make for a fun game and an interesting painting project.

Maybe go a step further and use the Forest Goblin Boss' Gigantic spider as a Daemon Prince and put the Arachnarok's tiny spiders (and maybe the old Warhammer Quest/fantasy swarms spiders) on a base and use them as Nurglings. Any other large spider models I missed?

If I hadn't just started a Skaven army I would very seriously consider doing this!

Torpedo Vegas
13-02-2011, 01:20
Kit bashed with a Soul grinder to make a super heavy super talos. Make some custom rules and play it in Apoc.

Firmlog
13-02-2011, 01:53
It could also make a good Catachan House Spider. LOL I mean the toads set off Nuclear sized explosions.

Death world animals, Bigger than tanks.

-Loki-
13-02-2011, 04:32
Last night I had a quick look at Lexicanum to see what other Xenos species there are, and what did I find?

Megarachnids :eek:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Megarachnids

Now I'm considering new ideas! Whitehorn seems to be thinking the same thing by the looks of it!

I think you need to read the Horus Heresy books.

Astraeos
13-02-2011, 11:26
I think you need to read the Horus Heresy books.

Which ones?

Fire at Will
13-02-2011, 12:51
I'm going to make one into a snakebite battlewagon!

Exactly what I was thinking :D

- Will

Whitehorn
13-02-2011, 17:58
Which ones?

The one quoted in your link ;)

XmarvX
13-02-2011, 21:39
That could be a nice idea :), Not a nid guy myself. but Id like to see that made!

As for the size of this spider, my local gw store had one perched next to a leman russ tank, and theyre about the same size (without the goblins and the decking on its back that is)

Kalandros
13-02-2011, 21:57
All of you who plan on buying one just for the Arachnarok, do sell me the crew/howdah bits that you won't be using at all! I need me lots of Forest Goblins :D

Astraeos
13-02-2011, 22:11
Ahh, ok then. Thanks!

muggins
14-02-2011, 02:09
Unfortunately I think it'll cause a lot of not so good conversions to be made

It doesn't look like a heirodule at all

Darwin_green
15-02-2011, 22:22
Unfortunately I think it'll cause a lot of not so good conversions to be made

It doesn't look like a heirodule at all

...uhm. That's why you convert it to look so.

mistrmoon
16-02-2011, 04:21
I have one sitting here next to my heirodule and it's too small, it would need some HEAVY conversions to look halfway decent. Lets not join the ranks of space wolves players with their marines riding goblin wolves.... bleh...

Maxis Lithium
16-02-2011, 05:12
I have one sitting here next to my heirodule and it's too small, it would need some HEAVY conversions to look halfway decent. Lets not join the ranks of space wolves players with their marines riding goblin wolves.... bleh...

How small are we talking? Could you provide a pick for comparison? I was thinking of doing a some-what Dominatrix style creation. Put a creature on its back end that looks like it's grafted there, and have it mount the guns to represent a Barbed Heiradule.

Bob Hunk
16-02-2011, 12:08

Hmmm, interesting... Yes, is there any chance you could provide us with a comparison picture please? :)

Darwin_green
20-02-2011, 21:21
found this really good review of the kit, and the head of the arachnarok is separate. so that makes converting into a tyranid nasty really easy.
http://www.totalwargamer.co.uk/blog/?p=1063

actually, someone suggested that you assemble it facing backwards, and convert the abdomen to be the main torso and make it look like it's popping out gaunts and ripper swarms.

Matt.Wood88
20-02-2011, 23:21
That may have been me :shifty: ...
But yeah, basically just as you said, minus it's limbs and some greenstuffing at the what will be the rear end and have it being carried by gaunts, so just like the 'brain bug' from starship troopers...
Cheers
Matt

WORMSS
11-03-2011, 07:38
mmm, some kind of transport.....but which army - guess only Chaos comes close as nids don't have transports.

Wouldn't be too hard to add weapons on it - in a decent way

And how amazing would it look wrecked - upside down with it's spidy legs in the air!

:D

Nids have transports.

Harridan carries Gargoyles. Then other nids can technically "spawn" new Tyranids. Its been a while since I read the rule book to remember which ones can.

But if I was to get one I would see if I can mutate the spider into some type of Spawning machine. Make it slow and armoured, but constently spawning (in small groups) of endless small creatures.. No guns, just talons for short range.

I wouldn't want it to be a fighter, something that would gladly sit at the back of a moving army, dodging/deflecting incomming fire while it just spawns.. :D

Like a tiny walking hive ship.

Grubnar
17-03-2011, 19:27
Well, I'd like one or two for my fantasy greenskins, but I reckon one could easily be made into a Snakebite Ork counts as Battlewagon.....

That is a brilliant idea! Utterly mad, but brilliant! :D

'IllBillyOrk
18-03-2011, 20:50
That Arachnarok is the final step in a multi phase conversion im doing...taking dreadknights and making them into deff dreads..only 2 for now and using the Arachnarok to make some kind of squiggoth or even have it as a giant chariot pulling a battlewagon body laden with kannons and make some apoc rules for it

Tokamak
18-03-2011, 20:52
Combined with trygon parts it would be a great Tervigon.

That may have been me :shifty: ...
But yeah, basically just as you said, minus it's limbs and some greenstuffing at the what will be the rear end and have it being carried by gaunts, so just like the 'brain bug' from starship troopers...
Cheers
Matt

I really would love to see a proper brain-bug unit/model in the Tyranid force.

Deus Mechanicus
18-03-2011, 21:12
Question for those with experience with the kit: Is the howdah thing seperate? can you assemble the spider only? My idea is to make some Beastmaster crew for it and write some apocalypse rules to use in my Dark Eldar army

mrtn
18-03-2011, 22:55
Question for those with experience with the kit: Is the howdah thing seperate? can you assemble the spider only? My idea is to make some Beastmaster crew for it and write some apocalypse rules to use in my Dark Eldar army

I've seen pics of it in the hobby plogs forum without the howdah, so you're safe there.

Personally I wonder how it scales compared to a Defiler. Does anyone know?

Matt.Wood88
19-03-2011, 14:23
@Mrtn: it's probably a little bit smaller height-wise but much longer... Although the legs are entirely poseable so it could be shunted a little around to make it the same footprint.
Hope this helps :)
Cheers
Matt

Pacific
19-03-2011, 15:33
++ T-minus... 5..4.. 3.. 2...1.. touching down ++
+++"search party commencing, standard pattern" ***
++ "Oxygen nitrogen atmosphere.. standard pressure... large mineral deposits detected" ++
++ "This is explorator party B, low complexity life forms detected, nothing beyond Delta stage.. wait a moment base camp... what are these... these webs...
*squelching noises*
++ "cave system ahead, moving to investigate, large traces of base metals...
" ++

*static*

++"This is base camp, thermal scans complete, no significant life for.... WAIT... explorator party B, coming towards you... dozens.. no hundreds..what in the name..... get out of there!!++
*static*
++"what was that base camp? *hissing* comms breaking up..++
++" wait a moment.. something moving.. I can see.."++
*static*
what in the name of.. hundreds of .... hundreds of SPIDERS .. run... no no... ARRRGGGHHHHH!" ++
*static*

A combination of the Arachnarok (and maybe other smaller spider models) to represent a world encountered by one of the Legions during the Great Crusade, inhabited entirely by giant spiders :)

ForgottenLore
19-03-2011, 18:20
See, now I am thinking about using an arachnorok and one of the new dreadknights to make a sort of reverse soul grinder. Mechanical humanoid torso on a massive demonic spider body.