PDA

View Full Version : Vendetta Gunship

Xenthick
10-02-2011, 02:41
I am in the process of building myself a guard army, which happens to include 2 vendetta gunships. Upon looking a little more closely at the valkyrie sprues, I noticed that there is only one lascannon included in the kit, and it isnt twin linked. Is there something I am missing, are the pictures up on GW website not the complete kit? Or are there no lascannons included with the kit?

If the latter is the case, I was considering buying the upgrade sprues for the land raider terminus ultra, which of course includes a twin linked lascannon, and a pair of normal lascannons which can be combined to make another. I have two lascannons left over from my sentinels, which when combined with the one lascannon that comes with the valkyrie kit will make the third twin linked lascannon. Does anyone know of a cheaper or more efficient way to go about making the vendetta and not have it cost me $100 a piece?

Malice&Mizery
10-02-2011, 02:51
Ive never bought a Valkyrie kit from GW, but you can buy the Vendetta conversion kit from Forge World here:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Guard/Elysian_Drop_Troops/VALKYRIE-VENDETTA-CONVERSION-KIT.html

The Orange
10-02-2011, 02:51
Would that help?

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Navy/VALKYRIE-VENDETTA-CONVERSION-KIT.html

Edit: Ninja'd

Putty
10-02-2011, 02:55
buy those TL lascannons sponsons from a friend who doesn't need them for his landraider.

Xenthick
10-02-2011, 03:02
Apparently I'm a complete retard. I somehow never thought to check forgeworld :P Oh well, thanks for the help guys.

ehlijen
10-02-2011, 03:19
Do you intend to get any heavy weapon teams? They all come with one lascannon each. Two of those stuck together make decent underwing pods.

Tarax
10-02-2011, 09:01
As neither the Valkyrie as the Vendetta has the option to take 2 'normal' Lascannon, my Vendetta only has single Lascannon on each fire point.

Angelust
10-02-2011, 09:08
Aw, you have to go over the top and fit 6 lascannons and two heavy bolters onto your gunship. It makes Predator Annihilators cry.

eyescrossed
10-02-2011, 09:44
It makes anything cry :shifty:

Bunnahabhain
10-02-2011, 13:11
It makes anything cry :shifty:

My 31 man blob squads, or opponents 30 boyz mobs don't care overly much... Oh wow, 4 casulties!

Now MRP valks, with HBs and multi lasers.... now they make hordes cry, and they can do serious damage to elite infantry as well. 10 wounds, make your saves please- 2 dead terminators, and I don't care if you're in cover or not...

NixonAsADaemonPrince
10-02-2011, 13:17
Only trouble, the Vendetta is sure going to make your Valkyrie cry ;).

carldooley
10-02-2011, 13:51
why put heavy bolters on your vendetta?
triple your firepower! :D

Erwos
10-02-2011, 13:54
Do you intend to get any heavy weapon teams? They all come with one lascannon each. Two of those stuck together make decent underwing pods.
I have a Vendetta that does this, and it works quite nicely. Getting the second lascannon on the nose is more difficult...

carldooley
10-02-2011, 14:08
I have a Vendetta that does this, and it works quite nicely. Getting the second lascannon on the nose is more difficult...

just put it in the other fairing on the other side of the cockpit. I've always felt that that sort of thing just looks better than the single double mount. For that matter, there was someone who put 3 lascannons on each of the wing mounts.

Grand Master Raziel
10-02-2011, 14:38
I suppose if you put 3 lascannons underslung on each wing, it'd be adequately WYSIWYG. Be hard to explain how one damage result takes out a lascannon on each wing, though. I guess you'd have to say it fragged a power coupling, or something like that.

ColShaw
10-02-2011, 15:21
Sentinels and Heavy Weapon Teams all come with Lascannons, so it shouldn't be too hard to end up with a few extra (I have something like 10 spare Lascannons just lying around in my bitz box).

smdvogrin
10-02-2011, 15:22
I suppose if you put 3 lascannons underslung on each wing, it'd be adequately WYSIWYG. Be hard to explain how one damage result takes out a lascannon on each wing, though. I guess you'd have to say it fragged a power coupling, or something like that.

This is actually how I did one of my 2 vendettas. Lascannons from either a Razorback Kit (traded with a Blood angels player) or a Land Raider, glued to either side of a HW teams Lascannon, then mounted to the pylon that the MRPs/Hellstrike is supposed to go on. It turned out really well.

Axeman1n
10-02-2011, 15:33
The guy who puts 1 Lascannon on each wing is the same guy who puts 1 Scarab on a base. The models are not that expensive. Why can't people just do it right. If you are too cheap, rig up a 2nd barrel with some 1/8" copper tube, or anything for that matter. What if you saw a Land Raider with one Lascannon on each side?

IcedCrow
10-02-2011, 15:37
The guy who puts 1 Lascannon on each wing is the same guy who puts 1 Scarab on a base. The models are not that expensive. Why can't people just do it right. If you are too cheap, rig up a 2nd barrel with some 1/8" copper tube, or anything for that matter. What if you saw a Land Raider with one Lascannon on each side?

I don't take the game that seriously. If I saw a Lascannon on each side, I really wouldn't care one way or the other.

In fact, one of the best armies I ever saw was at Chicago in 2004 or 2005 and it was a conversion army that used space marine rules but was modded up like transformers.

The "counts-as" land raider was a large tank with one gun on each arm.

If you have a spare lascannon hanging around, cool... use it. If not... I don't see it as unreasonable to have just one las cannon and say they are twinlinked as long as it's on your army roster. The cost of models these days is through the roof.

MajorWesJanson
10-02-2011, 18:00
What if you saw a Land Raider with one Lascannon on each side?

You mean like the old ones? :p

Grimtuff
10-02-2011, 18:18
buy those TL lascannons sponsons from a friend who doesn't need them for his landraider.

The Redeemer/Crusader kit does not come in the same box as the Godhammer pattern one. They'll need those Lascannons. ;)

Sircyn
10-02-2011, 18:27
I used the Banbelade sponson turret lascannons to pair up with the original valk lascannon by removing the light/panelling below it. Fits perfectly below the lascannon you get in the box and looks just right. On the wings I used paired HWT lascannons with a little modification to hide the power cable input sockets on the side of the guns.

Axeman1n
10-02-2011, 19:41
I have a MkI Landraider. The Lascannons were doubled.

Spacker
10-02-2011, 19:50
I have a MkI Landraider. The Lascannons were doubled.

Indeed they were: http://www.ageofstrife.com/gallery/v/Spack/Spack02/Spack45/lr.jpg.html

For my own Vendetta I have the FW conversion kit, and on the odd times I've taken more than one I've used my Vultures as "counts as", as otherwise they rarely come off the shelf ...

Aesaar
10-02-2011, 19:51
Dreadnought lascannons cut where the barrels meet the casing/armor fit perfectly on the multilaser mount. Of course, that requires you to have a spare dreadnought lascannon.

Axeman1n
10-02-2011, 20:03
All I have to say is, it's not asking too much to have the conversion properly modeled, especially considering how good the vendetta is in game terms. Lascannons are Extremely easy to model. If you ask me, if you don't wanna go through the trouble its' because of laziness, not lack of money or access to materials.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
10-02-2011, 22:07
Does it really matter? You can use whatever you like, as long as it's about the right size and orientation I don't mind a bit, just announce what it is at the start of the game.

The Marshel
10-02-2011, 22:52
why bother buying proper minis at all then?

NixonAsADaemonPrince
10-02-2011, 23:09
What exactly constitutes a "proper" miniature? Use whatever you like, I don't mind. I just tend to use GW stuff because it looks cool.

Axeman1n
11-02-2011, 04:40
Yours is not the opinion that matters then, as you'd be happy if I placed a cool looking Starwars X-Wing fighter on a flying stand, counts as a Vendetta. I say, take the game as seriously as you expect to be taken. If you just wanna roll dice, and look at pretty models, have fun, but don't expect people who play at a competative level to agree with you.

eyescrossed
11-02-2011, 06:04
... as you'd be happy if I placed a cool looking Starwars X-Wing fighter on a flying stand, counts as a Vendetta.

People would actually mind someone doing that? :eyebrows:

Tarax
11-02-2011, 09:11

Do I know you? Or weren't you referring to me? As I don't play Necrons nor would I put 1 Scarab on a base.
Perhaps I'm just a little stuck on the old rules where twin-linked meant shoot-once-hit-twice. I also find it much better looking.

jt.glass
11-02-2011, 09:57
I have a MkI Landraider. The Lascannons were doubled.Indeed, but the original landraider pictured in RT (before there was a kit) only had one.

jt.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
11-02-2011, 11:16
Yours is not the opinion that matters then, as you'd be happy if I placed a cool looking Starwars X-Wing fighter on a flying stand, counts as a Vendetta. I say, take the game as seriously as you expect to be taken. If you just wanna roll dice, and look at pretty models, have fun, but don't expect people who play at a competative level to agree with you.

Yes, I'd be perfectly happy with that. And I'm perfectly happy to not be taken seriously by people like you ;). As you say, I just want to roll dice, look at pretty models, have fun, and be competitive at the same time ;). But this is off topic and getting into the realms of flaming, so it's probably best to stop it.

On topic, I played a mate of mine last night who uses Guard with two Vendettas, he used the Forge World Upgrade Kit on one, which looked good, and a conversion using trimmed down Razorback Turrets on the other. I couldn't tell the difference, they were both very good.

Major_Manny
11-02-2011, 11:21
As people have already said just pay the 14 for the conversion kit for FW, i mean come on.....its only 14 for gods sake!!!

NixonAsADaemonPrince
11-02-2011, 11:23
As people have already said just pay the 14 for the conversion kit for FW, i mean come on.....its only 14 for gods sake!!!

14 is my model budget for the week, so it isn't such a small deal.

Major_Manny
11-02-2011, 11:29
lol, then maybe you need a new hobby...or job??

Major_Manny
11-02-2011, 11:30
you could always try cross-stitching?? im sure you could get somthing for 14 then??

Hellebore
11-02-2011, 11:36
How about a single lascannon on each pylon, but with a gun camera next to it? Maybe made out of a space marine backpack, or any spare marine searchlights anyone has?

I think a a gun camera mounted lascannon would look cool and represent twin-linked pretty well.

Hellebore

NixonAsADaemonPrince
11-02-2011, 11:48
lol, then maybe you need a new hobby...or job??

you could always try cross-stitching?? im sure you could get somthing for 14 then??

So you think that it's right to preclude people from a hobby they thoroughly enjoy due to their lesser monetary status? Sounds reasonably :eyebrows:.

How about a single lascannon on each pylon, but with a gun camera next to it? Maybe made out of a space marine backpack, or any spare marine searchlights anyone has?

I think a a gun camera mounted lascannon would look cool and represent twin-linked pretty well.

Hellebore

That sounds a brilliant idea, should look ace. If I ever get some Vendettas I might well try it.

jt.glass
11-02-2011, 12:54
As people have already said just pay the 14 for the conversion kit for FW, i mean come on.....its only 14 for gods sake!!!It is not only 14, it is 14 pounds on top of the (already not cheap) Valkyrie kit. And that's just one unit, you still need the rest of the army!

40k is never going to be a cheap hobby, but that doesn't mean people shouldn't make saving where they can, if that is what they want to do!

jt.

Erwos
11-02-2011, 13:22
Also, truth be told, they FW kit doesn't look appreciably better than the conversions. I have one of each in my army, and no one's ever noticed the difference.

IcedCrow
11-02-2011, 14:46
So... if you are playing "at the competetive level" that means everything has to be modeled?

I must have missed something, playing "at the competetive level" for almost a decade and seeing all kinds of conversions and models that were not "WYSIWYG". Seems all of those players I encountered were playing "at the competetive level" all wrong.

Really let's not get all l33t and thumb our nose at other people who don't share the strict requirements that you may possess. If I showed up to a game with a single las cannon on a vehicle that was supposed to be twin linked, and a person thumbed his nose at it or me "not taking the game serious enough", I would gladly NOT engage my time and energy playing the game with that person.

Axeman1n
11-02-2011, 15:28
There is a vast difference between making a crappy conversion, and putting one Lascannon instead of two. If they get two McDonalds Straws and cut and glue them under the wing of my Valkyrie, and call it twin-linked Lascannons, I'm okay with it.
Make the effort. You don't have to spend money, just make the effort.

IcedCrow
11-02-2011, 15:37
That's fair enough but what if I don't want two las cannons grouped together? What if I like how one looks?

Hellebore
11-02-2011, 15:38
There is a vast difference between making a crappy conversion, and putting one Lascannon instead of two. If they get two McDonalds Straws and cut and glue them under the wing of my Valkyrie, and call it twin-linked Lascannons, I'm okay with it.
Make the effort. You don't have to spend money, just make the effort.

:wtf: You'd be ok with the 'effort' of using two straws to represent two guns, but not with the 'effort' in using a single actual lascannon that is unambigious in its appearance and can't be mistaken for anything else?

2 straws vs 1 lascannon.... well I've got nothing else to say.

Hellebore

ColShaw
11-02-2011, 15:52
I just want to be able to tell what the thing is when I'm looking at it across the table. I wouldn't want to see a Valkyrie being counted as a Vendetta, or vice versa, but any coversion work at all would make me happy.

Why GW didn't include Lascannons in the kit is a mystery to me; both units became available simultaneously in the IG codex.

IcedCrow
11-02-2011, 15:58
I just want to be able to tell what the thing is when I'm looking at it across the table. I wouldn't want to see a Valkyrie being counted as a Vendetta, or vice versa, but any coversion work at all would make me happy.

Why GW didn't include Lascannons in the kit is a mystery to me; both units became available simultaneously in the IG codex.

Because people will pay $25 for a conversion kit that is basically a couple extra guns.

Erwos
11-02-2011, 17:01
Because people will pay $25 for a conversion kit that is basically a couple extra guns.
More likely, the Vendetta was a last-minute addition that was done after the sprues were complete. The number of errors in the entry would seem to support this, not to mention the way that the Vendetta is presented as a small addition at the very end.

Why they felt the need to do this, I have no idea. Maybe there was corporate angst that the Valkyrie rules, on their own, weren't enough to force everyone to buy three. *shrugs*

ColShaw
11-02-2011, 17:02
More likely, the Vendetta was a last-minute addition that was done after the sprues were complete. The number of errors in the entry would seem to support this, not to mention the way that the Vendetta is presented as a small addition at the very end.

Why they felt the need to do this, I have no idea. Maybe there was corporate angst that the Valkyrie rules, on their own, weren't enough to force everyone to buy three. *shrugs*

Yeah, it does have kind of a "maybe this brand-new, expensive kit isn't good enough, so let's power it up abit" feel to it. :rolleyes:

Axeman1n
11-02-2011, 18:43
It is not the final conversion to me. It's the feeling and effort put into it. If you honestly prefer to have a single Lascannon on your wings because you think it looks cooler, and you modeled it that way on purpose, then I'm good with your model. If you just didn't wanna get another barrel because you didn't have one, or didn't have the time then I'm not good with it.
I guess what I'm trying to say is don't do a crappy conversion because you are lazy. I hate laziness, it's hard enough to squelch it in my own life, but I don't think I should have to put up with it across the table.

Hellebore
12-02-2011, 02:56
It is not the final conversion to me. It's the feeling and effort put into it. If you honestly prefer to have a single Lascannon on your wings because you think it looks cooler, and you modeled it that way on purpose, then I'm good with your model. If you just didn't wanna get another barrel because you didn't have one, or didn't have the time then I'm not good with it.
I guess what I'm trying to say is don't do a crappy conversion because you are lazy. I hate laziness, it's hard enough to squelch it in my own life, but I don't think I should have to put up with it across the table.

Unfortunately you cannot necessarily determine intent from visual appearance.

You'd have to ask the person why they did it and someone who did it out of laziness could easily say 'because I thought it would look cooler.'

Therefore, there's really no point in worrying about it. Unless the model is a cardboard box with 'vendetta' across it, you aren't going to be able to ascertain the intent behind the model and you won't be able to rely on the person's honesty in that event anyway.

Hellebore

MajorWesJanson
12-02-2011, 02:59
A rarer piece but really easy conversion- the new lascannons off the Storm Raven glue together just fine to make a paired cannon. Assuming you can get two pairs, that is.