PDA

View Full Version : Do GW Execs Play Warhammer?

Lord Dan
10-02-2011, 23:07
So has anyone played a game against Mark Wells or the like?

scarletsquig
10-02-2011, 23:10
They probably don't, in the same way that the head of Hasbro doesn't spend his days playing hungry hungry hippos or whatever.

Oakwolf
10-02-2011, 23:13
There's a bit of a difference between toys and wargaming, so one can never say ;)

logan054
10-02-2011, 23:17
Do you honestly think if they did 8th ed would have turned out the way it did?

ooglatjama
10-02-2011, 23:17
I know the rules designers and Jes Goodwin and stuff do, but I don't think the top execs are there for anything but business.

W A L 5 H Y
10-02-2011, 23:18
Im sure they do. I bet they have games amongst eachother and with friends. I doubt they play tournement or play win at all cost games.

lotrchampion
10-02-2011, 23:20
Yep. Mate of mine who used to work in the central store told me a few occasions where he chatted to the Exec about what they were up to in the hobby. Apparently Mark Wells plays Orcs and Goblins - clearly his bonus this eyar will be going towards some Arachnoraks... :p

Tymell
10-02-2011, 23:24
I'd imagine some do, some don't, can't give any personal accounts though.

Korraz
10-02-2011, 23:47
Do you honestly think if they did 8th ed would have turned out the way it did?

Actually, the way 8th turned out would be a strong argument FOR that.

rob_appo
11-02-2011, 00:23
They have massive amounts of money and atleast a 50% discount so if i were in that position i would not have the massive amount of money for long.

logan054
11-02-2011, 00:53
Actually, the way 8th turned out would be a strong argument FOR that.

Hardly, if they are players then I doubt magic would have turned out the way it did, a lot of changes seemed more designed to sell infantry models, I'm not saying 8th is a terrible edition or anything. You would however think if you had players/collecters that high up they would be playing the Betas of 8th and being like "WTF have you done with magic, some of these spells are insane"

Torpedo Vegas
11-02-2011, 00:55
I'd imagine some do. I also hope that he head of Hasbro DOES spend his days playing hungry hungry hippos. In secret, beneath his desk.

11-02-2011, 00:58
They probably don't, in the same way that the head of Hasbro doesn't spend his days playing hungry hungry hippos or whatever.

I'd imagine some do. I also hope that he head of Hasbro DOES spend his days playing hungry hungry hippos. In secret, beneath his desk.

Both of these made my day.

Turtleking
11-02-2011, 03:45
I'm going to play hungry hungry hippos now. Thanks guys.

Starchild
11-02-2011, 04:34
I know the rules designers and Jes Goodwin and stuff do, but I don't think the top execs are there for anything but business.Jes has never been very interested in the games. He lives and dies to create models. Unfortunately the games never do his creative genius justice, and probably never will :(

Regarding the original question, I'm quite sure the higher management of GW do not play the games, which explains a lot of the daft decisions they've made over the years, such as dropping support for great games like Man O'War, Epic Space Marine, Necromunda, etc. But no, they just want to sell overpriced models, which makes the main games unaffordable for a great many thousand gamers worldwide.

cailus
11-02-2011, 04:35
I seriously doubt they'd play the game.

Many executives are often recruited for their professional abilities and not because they're into the product or necessarily have any experience with the product.

Though I would like to see the Hasbro executive team meeting playing Hungry, Hungry Hippos at Hasbro HQ.

TheYoungin
11-02-2011, 05:00
I think it's better that they don't play, if they do they might get soo bored that they quit warhammer and all of us would be in turmoil.

skabradisdead
11-02-2011, 07:11
Yes they do. I have played 2 CEO's over the years. One in 40K and one in fantasy. Even the joker they got from Hasbro in the states who has since been let go learned to play the games. so yes... yes they do.

Surgency
11-02-2011, 21:36
I'd imagine that a good exec would learn the rules at least to know what it is he's selling to the world. Most executives, while they are businessmen first and foremost, also are very knowledgeable in the business they run ;)

Caitsidhe
11-02-2011, 21:42
I am of the opinion that GW Execs have never even seen or read Warhammer much less played it.

Still Standing
11-02-2011, 21:48
If they play anything, I'd bet it is games like Space Hulk, Necromunda, Blood Bowl, Mordheim or the other better rules systems they have put out.

brueys
11-02-2011, 22:10
As a share holder I don't want the the Hasbro Execes to be playing the games (for feedback reasons anyway ) -they have more important things to be doing and their input wouldn't be as incisive as someone whose job description was that of game balance /design . Just the same as I wouldn't want that game designer to be working on market strategies. To each his own area of expertise .
And also to be comparing GW to Hasbro is like comparing a small chain of motels to the Hyatt corporation . There is a huge size and market share difference (Hasbro had about 20x the income of GW in FY09)
Should the GW execs be playing ?- doesn't really matter-they are in it to make money ,not have a fun time crushing the humans .

S_A_T_S
11-02-2011, 22:34
I am in agreement with brueys - do you really think execs at Ford wander down to the mechanics labs and tell the engineers how to build the cars? Whether the execs play or not has absolutely nothing to do with the design. Most of their decisions will be based on studying the market, sales reports, feedback, focus groups, advice of front line staff and designers, and their own buisness knowledge.

Saying that, I would imagine a couple play, collect or paint as a hobby in what little spare time they may have. How could you not if you spend most of your life hanging around all this stuff and with the discount?

Archangelion
11-02-2011, 23:06
Agreed. Those that do play, play most likely for the same reason any of us play, because we enjoy the game.

But they are business people, first and formost. Regardless of what armies or rules they would like to see put in, they are just another gamer as far as the authors are concerned, even though they are their 'higher ups'. Being in a bussiness, means that sometimes, even though you might like to make something different because it sounds like it would work better game wise, you still need to make the business decisions that will profit the company in the end.

It's all about balance. They need the game to be fun, and enjoyable for all who play it. No, the will not be able to please everyone, because everyone's wants and needs are different. They also need to make a tidy profit, so sometimes, yes, the way the rules are made, the way armies are released, is purely business and market controll tactics.

UberBeast
11-02-2011, 23:08
I am in agreement with brueys - do you really think execs at Ford wander down to the mechanics labs and tell the engineers how to build the cars? Whether the execs play or not has absolutely nothing to do with the design. Most of their decisions will be based on studying the market, sales reports, feedback, focus groups, advice of front line staff and designers, and their own buisness knowledge.

Saying that, I would imagine a couple play, collect or paint as a hobby in what little spare time they may have. How could you not if you spend most of your life hanging around all this stuff and with the discount?

Last I heard GW was still owned by the Royal Bank of Scotland. I'm pretty sure your average gamer knows more about their games than they do. They just pay people under them to care so they don't have to.

Archangelion
12-02-2011, 00:15
lol, sorry, I can't help it... Royal.. (use only the caps for the last two major words.... ) LMAO :evilgrin:

cornixt
12-02-2011, 01:18
You don't get to be an exec without at least understanding your products. I'm sure the execs have played most of the games a few times to get a good feel of them, even if there was a lot of coaching from an actual player. And execs might not get involved in the little details of game design but they certainly have influence over the overall game, like the level of magic involvement and types of units added, even when it goes against the advice of the designers.

Archangelion
12-02-2011, 02:35
Really? The guys that decide company policies, whether a new designer should be highered or not? The guys that make the final call whether or not a product line should be revised, based solely on consumer demand?

No, these higher ups do not need to play the game. They just need to look at the numbers, and give employment to people who understand the game to design it/write the rules for it. Heck, even a model designer doesn't even need to play the game. He/she just needs to be good at turning an artist's concept, or an author/designer's idea into a three dimentional minature.

It would be nice if everyone in the company played the games that the company producess, but it is just not likely. Not very likely at all.

Jetty Smurf
12-02-2011, 12:42
lol, sorry, I can't help it... Royal.. (use only the caps for the last two major words.... ) LMAO :evilgrin:

I know this is a little off-topic, but I have absolutely no idea what you are saying. :wtf::confused:

OT: It would be nice if some of the higher ups did indeed play warhammer, but it would by no means be expected of them.

Given the variety of players presented on warseer alone, it wouldn't surprise me if some of the suits were players also.

Lord of Divine Slaughter
12-02-2011, 13:26
Really, guys. To be a proper working corporation, you need to understand the product, you're producing and selling. Lots of stories about companies run by 'professional'/unattached execs, and they usually end up with the company being run down.

Archangelion
12-02-2011, 16:28
Forgive me if I am wrong Lord of Divine Slaughter, but is Donald Trump not in the real estate bussiness? Does he not get buildings constructed in his name and what have you? Have you ever seen the guy with a saw cutting studds and hammering them in place? Up on the framework of a high rise fastening another I-Beam into position? I think not.

@Jetty Smurf ... Royal Bank of Scottland (RBoS), Royal BoS... remove the o.

Reutermo
12-02-2011, 17:35
Why shouldn't they? I think it's pretty clear that they are doing that...

Malorian
12-02-2011, 17:38
If I was a GW exec I would dedicate half of each day to playing games...

I can only hope they feel the same.

Lord of Divine Slaughter
12-02-2011, 19:41
Forgive me if I am wrong Lord of Divine Slaughter, but is Donald Trump not in the real estate bussiness? Does he not get buildings constructed in his name and what have you? Have you ever seen the guy with a saw cutting studds and hammering them in place? Up on the framework of a high rise fastening another I-Beam into position? I think not.

Perhaps not, but I'm quite sure, you'll find him discussing construction with architects and engineers and inspecting the construction site :p

Managements greatest job is to lead the way and inspire, to have vision and be greatly involved with the company and its products.

Archangelion
12-02-2011, 20:53
Involvment doesn't require that they actually play the game however. I am not saying that some of them don't but I wouldn't be suprised if there were only a handfull if even among those that make the big bussiness decisions and what have you.

cool-kid-on-the-block
12-02-2011, 23:36
it would be really akward if you ever played one though...

... especially if it was a tournament and you played their tomb kings with your tounamnent dark elves...

Xerkics
12-02-2011, 23:48
Its actually irrelevant whether the execs play the game or not. They would know enough on the nature of the hobby to be able to make decisions for the welfare of the company and profit of the shareholders. While this might result in negative decisions for some armies players what not in the end it has a positive effect as if GW has more money they are more likely to take financial risks with new ventures model ranges etc support for less popular armies. Like how spare marines sales provide for the other armies.

Grimmeth
12-02-2011, 23:59

I'll bet they drive Ford cars though...

We're not asking if they have an actual influence on games design, more if they simply understand the games and (I'd imagine occasionally) play them.
I'd suspect not, GW is ran as any standard company is run, the issue being that it isn't a standard company, it's a company that sells to a rather small market niche of people. I'd imagine if it was ran by people that understood the hobby most of the recent decisions made wouldn't have been.

Archangelion
13-02-2011, 00:06
If it is run by people who play and love the game, I think they would have a set of rules for themselves to play with, so that they can have fun, while they laugh at the rest of us because we have to use "the other rules" that they designed, just good enough to keep us all hooked, but anoying enough to drive us all a little bit more crazy.

Wait... maybe the suits are actually all Dark Eldar/Elves... and they just love to see us all suffer!

Archaon
13-02-2011, 02:24

@Jetty Smurf ... Royal Bank of Scottland (RBoS), Royal BoS... remove the o.

You are mixing two very separate things.. games design and running the company as a whole.

A good CEO will not mess with his engineers/designers because they are the Pro's in this field and it is their job to deliver a good product.

A CEO's job is to make sure the company environment works, that the right people work at the right place and to make the company profitable. He doesn't need concern himself with the details of game design because that's not the job.. however he will set overall guidelines and goals for the companies which his employees have to fulfill and, being the GW cynic i am, most likely nudge (or outright order) the design team to work up the new rules to sell more miniatures (as evident in 8th edition and 6th edition where you suddenly and for no good reason needed a miniature more per rank to count as a rank.. a jump from 4 to 5 models).

A good boss will know about his products quite well because only then can he judge it and think about ways of selling/producing it effectively so in GWs case it would help to have at least a working knowledge of the games. He doesn't need to be a GT tournament level player or paint to Golden Demon standard but he shouldn't look totally out of place if someone set an army before him.

So it wouldn't surprise me if at least some top level GW managers actually play occasionally when time permits.. they don't even need a game room or any miniatures of their own. Just wander downstairs and pick up whatever you need from the studio cabinets :p

redshylock
13-02-2011, 02:30
Since none of the Beastmen rare choices are getting a kit, I am sure they have some basic understanding of how things work.

The bearded one
13-02-2011, 02:49
it would be really akward if you ever played one though...

... especially if it was a tournament and you played their tomb kings with your tounamnent dark elves...

I can already imagine.. The exec trying to bribe you with false promises to win the game :D "If you just pretend I rolled snake-eyes on that breaktest there, I'll consider releasing a new armybook for your bretonnians.."

Since none of the Beastmen rare choices are getting a kit, I am sure they have some basic understanding of how things work.

Maybe they all dislike beastmen :p

I can see a handful of them playing the game a bit, or at least have general knowledge about how it's supposed to work. Just a minority, but a bunch of them nonetheless. Others in this thread have played against execs before, so there are at least a few.

Archangelion
13-02-2011, 04:09
Yeah... it would be like playing against a Sith.

"You want this... don't you?"

Voss
13-02-2011, 05:50
I seriously doubt they'd play the game.

Many executives are often recruited for their professional abilities and not because they're into the product or necessarily have any experience with the product.
The current head was fired by the Toys'R'Us board of directors, wasn't he?