PDA

View Full Version : To wait or not to wait

Skizzik_NZ
11-02-2011, 06:57
I am very keen to start up a 40k army and want to start either a Dark Eldar or a Sisters of Battle army. Should I use money I have now and start DE slowly or save money for when SOB are updated and build them then?

Also Could anyone please tell me how long it looks until SOB are getting a rework since that will probally be a big factor in my decision since I want to build them more than DE.

Thanks

Fallencarcass
11-02-2011, 07:18
Dark Eldar look great, but I don't know if they are a good starting army. Would this be your first 40k army or are you just drawn to make a new one?
Sisters (my first post 2nd edition/ not space marine army) are good, but currently costly and not a starter army. I pretty much sucked with them until I went back and played other armies then returned with more experience.

Seeing as there is no sure date for the Sisters getting updated and Dark Eldar are great looking and have a new codex I would fully suggest getting Dark Eldar of the two.

If you have a friend who is also starting I would get the space marine/ ork starter set and get comfortable with the game on that before either one though.

Vaktathi
11-02-2011, 07:18
Nobody knows when the Witch Hunters book will be updated. Not anytime this year certainly, and no idea on next year. It'd be quite a while.

Go for whichever army you like visually/fluff better now.

Malphax
11-02-2011, 07:34
Really, you're asking two questions here. The first one is "which army should I play" and the other is, "once I've chosen an army, should I wait?"

Sisters of Battle are a lot of fun, but the army is almost entirely made of metal and is therefore VERY expensive. If you collect a decent force of them, and then decide that you don't like them, you're out a huge amount of money.

That said, Sisters are one of the coolest armies in the entire game, and they're always a blast to play, and to play against. Getting a decent Inquisitor retinue is a hassle because none of the retinue members are available by bitz order. The codex is outdated but they're not getting an update any time soon. They're still decent, though, so don't worry about "gimping yourself." If you want to play nunz with gunz, go ahead and do it now.

Dark Eldar are also very fun, and very powerful, but are not very forgiving. While some people would say that they aren't a "beginner's army," others would say that if you can learn to be good using Dark Eldar, then you'll become an awesome, awesome player. But the learning curve is steep. At the moment, about half of the Dark Eldar models aren't available at all (Scourges, Grotesques, Wracks, Venom, Cronos, or the fliers) but are due to be released in a few months. If you want to play Dark Eldar, you should wait a little while. Maybe buy a codex and a few troops and a HQ, but don't try to go all-out just yet.

bossfearless
11-02-2011, 08:05
Proxy! Proxy, proxy, proxy!

I can't count the number of guys that started an army and then decided they didn't like the way it played. So what you should do is play a few games first. Use whatever copy of the codex is available (game store's copy, downloaded off the internet, etc) to build a list, and then proxy that list using empty bases, green army men, and maybe a soda can for a vehicle. Just play around with it and get the feel of the army through a couple of newbie games against a friend or against a nice player at your game store.

Then decide which army you like to play more.

As an aside, the rumors point to the upcoming Grey Knights codex as having some very customizable Inquisitorial henchmen, and a number of people have suggested that this will let you field Sisters models as Henchmen, with a reasonable approximation of the rules. So if you want updated codex, that's kind of a "meet half way" idea.

chromedog
11-02-2011, 08:55
Sisters MIGHT get a WD "get you by update" in WD around the time that GK gets released, which would put them at at least 12-16 months behind GK. I'm not expecting SoB to be blessed with a new codex until 2012.

Firmlog
11-02-2011, 11:38
Proxying is fine, and for some people works great. Personally, I've never been able to proxy. It takes me out of immersion in the game. I have known people to do so, proxy till they found the army they wanted to play, bought only those models, save boot fulls of money. That's just not me and I wouldn't be able to play against an opponent doing so. Now, what was that Soda can again? Oh, that's my soda. Damn, I moved over there to assault it... LOL.

Disclaimer: Now, I have used similar scaled, similar equiped and armed/armored models (Warzone plastic bahaus and Imperial models) as guardsmen before. Also, I am currently running squats as guardsmen again appropriately equipped. It's the same as proxying, but is more of an alt. model in the similar vein as forgeworld IG. (again, just personal preference.)

As for the aforementioned armies. I've played both loved both and frankly the sisters were one of my most effective armies. Probably the most. It's a micro-manage army with the need for proper timing of abilities and stacking of faith. They are expensive and dated models. Often difficult to get a hold of. Armies I see getting books before Sisters: Necrons, Chaos, Eldar, and very likely Space Marines and Tyranids. Possibly Dark Angels and Black templars. GW's pattern of codex release. Space marines something else, Space marines sometimes guard (though they are usually something else). Orks may even get a redux before them. Past Codex's of sisters of Battle have been released near the end of the respective edition. 2nd ed. Last dex. 3rd ed. 2nd or 3rd to last. 4th. 4th to last. If you want sisters I would probably start acquiring them now.

I've had good luck with Dark Eldar so far. But they are fragile, Steep learning curve, like tau, new players often get into them and loose a lot and badly. Experience gamers will pick them up and often do very well.

Skizzik_NZ
12-02-2011, 05:07
Thanks for all the replys, given me stuff to think on.

Armies I see getting books before Sisters: Necrons, Chaos, Eldar, and very likely Space Marines and Tyranids. Possibly Dark Angels and Black templars. GW's pattern of codex release. Space marines something else, Space marines sometimes guard (though they are usually something else). Orks may even get a redux before them. Past Codex's of sisters of Battle have been released near the end of the respective edition. 2nd ed. Last dex. 3rd ed. 2nd or 3rd to last. 4th. 4th to last. If you want sisters I would probably start acquiring them now.

I've had good luck with Dark Eldar so far. But they are fragile, Steep learning curve, like tau, new players often get into them and loose a lot and badly. Experience gamers will pick them up and often do very well.

I cant really see them not being done before tyranids are done again since nids are the 3rd ost recently updated 40k codex, And I dont think sisters even got an update in 4th ed so need it more than space marines do.

Firmlog
12-02-2011, 05:50
They did get updated in 4th. Sisters used to have no limits on using faith points in 3rd. In forth they Limited the use of faith to squad sized rolls and added a couple of units, changed some points costs sisters dropped to 10 I think used to be 12. Changed the way Priests worked. and got Sister of "I'll be Back" as a special character.

Inquisitor Gabriel Ashe
13-02-2011, 02:14
My official prediction: Sisters a year after GK at the latest.

Nezalhualixtlan
13-02-2011, 04:24
You might be waiting a long while if you want to wait for a Witch Hunters update. The Dark Eldar on the other hand, I love their models & their rule set from their freshly updated Codex looks very very good to me. If it came down to these two to me, it wouldn't even be a question, I'd pick the DE and never look back until *maybe* the Sisters get a new Codex. But I wouldn't hold my breath on it, and would enjoy the DE in the mean time.

Ultimately you have to go with whatever you like best though. If you do go with the DE, persevere, they are fragile but they are hard hitting, and will take some finesse to master - but you will get there if you learn them.

FabricatorGeneralMike
13-02-2011, 05:32
Go with whatever models you think look the best. If you hate the models in a army it doesn't matter how good the army is, you will never finish painting and modeling it.

Personally I play Sisters and I love them. Short rage fire power with lots of flamer templates. Nunz with gunz and the 3+ armour save is a god send. Now T3 sucks and if you get into HtH you can basically kiss your butt good bye. But over all, I love the models. Even though they are 15 years old I personally think they look better then alot of todays models. Plus I like working with metal better then plastic. IF you hate working with metal then don't go near the Sisters.

The Orange
13-02-2011, 12:09
Yea, I don't think anyone has a clear idea of when SoB will be redone. And just because they NEED an update doesn't mean GW will update them anytime soon. Necrons are still on their 1st codex while the Tau (who iirc came out later) are on their 2nd. So SoB are a long way off most likely.

IMO (since you don't sound keen on working with the current SoB line) sure you could wait for the new SoB, but I'm sure you'll be saving quite a lot by the time they are released. Why not start with some DE and take it slow. Keep and ear to the ground for any possible rumblings about SoB (which I don't think there has been much) but keep yourself busy with DE.