PDA

View Full Version : HORDES Models as Daemons

Fnords
11-02-2011, 22:32
Hi everyone!

This will be my first post here on Warseer. Been reading the forums of and on
for a while now and decided to join the large ranks of members.

First of all, I direct this thread and its questions towards all Hordes players,
but if anyone have extra information and insight into Warhammer and
Daemons of Chaos, then that could of course prove even more valuable.

I’ve recently come back to Warhammer after a 15 year hiatus, found my old
Wood Elves in a storage box, got nostalgic, called a friend and asked if he
had his old models, bought some beers, sat down and played and the rest is
history. I was hooked again…

So after a few months with my Wood Elves I have grown a bit bored with
only playing one army so I looked at what my friends were playing and
realized that in my group of friends we had all armies except for Daemons of
Chaos and Brettonia. I decided on DoC because I never liked the idea of
Brettonia.

And then it hit me, Daemons aren’t as strict with models as Wood Elves are.
A Daemon can pretty much look however I want it to look. So I started
browsing the net looking for alternative models. There are so many
possibilities…

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Demon
http://www.avatars-of-war.com
http://privateerpress.com/hordes/gallery/legion-of-everblight

The ones that really stuck was some of the Legion of Everblight War Beasts.
I think they would be excellent replacements for Slaanesh. I’m looking for
replacements for Fiends of Slaanesh to begin with and…

http://privateerpress.com/hordes/gallery/legion-of-everblight/warbeasts/teraph
http://privateerpress.com/hordes/gallery/legion-of-everblight/warbeasts/raek

…caught my eye. But I have a few questions.

1. How big are the models? The bases are round 40mm so they should be
possible to squeeze into 1 40mm square base. But what about their size in
height and length? How do they compare to Fiends of Slaanesh models from
GW?

2. What material are they made from? Do you assemble them?

3. Are they pre-painted? Reason I ask this is because a friend told me
they were.

4. Are there any other models/sites people can recommend for alternative
Daemon models? Preferably Pink Horror replacement.

Thank you in advance!

Peace & Love!

DaemonReign
12-02-2011, 02:52
Hordes Minis are metal and require some assembly, their size is in my opinion pretty good for fitting into Warhammer (a bit smaller scale perhaps but not as small as LotR-models and besides you're aiming for monstrous stuff here whence it won't matter).

They are not prepainted.

The only reference I have, though, is a Skorne-model I got a while back and converted to a Herald of Khorne.

Using those Hordes models as Fiends is an excellent idea.

Sorry don't have any good ideas for alternate Horrors. The new plastic ones are pretty nice as long as you have old metal ones to mix them up with (otherwise they're a real pain to rank up).

Cheers.

Torpedo Vegas
12-02-2011, 03:00
Warmahordes models are slightly larger scale than GW's. And it will actually cost you more money, as PP models are priced higher than GW. But by all means go ahead, its your hobby, do what you think is cool.

Ronin_eX
12-02-2011, 03:26
Warmahordes models are slightly larger scale than GW's. And it will actually cost you more money, as PP models are priced higher than GW. But by all means go ahead, its your hobby, do what you think is cool.

Hmm, I don't think so in this case. If he were talking about using a Hordes units to replace a GW plastic regiment then the difference would be in GW's favour. That said GW has horrible prices on single models and that is what the OP is looking at using Hordes minis for.

So going over to GW's site and looking at the Fiends of Slaanesh (what the OP wants to use the Hordes minis for) they seem to be close to the size of the Teraph (the Raek looks shorter but should fit in a pinch). Each of them is $30.

Meanwhile the Teraph and Raek come out to $20 ($15 from the War Store). So in this case, which is single metal minis, GW is trounced by Privateer in the price department. Games Workshop makes well priced large plastic kits for the most part but their metal stuff is usually 2x the price of the competition. You need only look at the hero/lord sections compared to average warcaster prices to see that. When a dwarf lord that is half the height of most minis comes out to $18 compared to a big guy like Thagrosh or the Butcher who are $15 and $12 respectively for models that are close in size to things like trolls (40mm round base) you know something is wonky in their pricing.

Warmachine units are the only thing comparatively expensive between the two lines (and the new plastic sets have really tightened the gap). So if the OP is using warbeasts (especially light ones) to replace large demons he is likely to make a serious savings (and, in my opinion, aesthetics boost as those Slaanesh fiends are butt ugly sculpts). So go right ahead, the scales match up well and they are about half the price of the fiends and much better looking minis.

Fnords
12-02-2011, 07:52
So if the OP is using warbeasts (especially light ones) to replace large demons he is likely
to make a serious savings (and, in my opinion, aesthetics boost as those Slaanesh fiends
are butt ugly sculpts). So go right ahead, the scales match up well and they are about half
the price of the fiends and much better looking minis.
Thank you this is exactly my line of reasoning. The models GW make for
Fiends of Slaanesh are so ugly I can't stand them to begin with and then
they slam a over the top price tag on to them on top of that making them in
my opinion the most horrible model GW has.

PP tho makes some awesome models, only downside I see is that the models
will look the same but I could maybe use different PP models to make
different units of Fiends.

Once again thank you guys, well though through responses that will help me
tons, think I will like it here.

Ronin_eX
12-02-2011, 09:51
Yeah, basically the entire Everblight line could be used to make fiends and keep the same aesthetic theme. Stick to light warbeasts for the most part and all will be good. You may even be able to use some of the smaller heavy warbeasts as daemon princes and the like (though the daemon prince kit itself is the same price as a metal heavy warbeast). Still, if you are looking for something unique it beats paying $50-$57 for minis that haven't changed in over a decade if you are looking for greater daemons.

Oh and just as a note I was using the Canadian prices in my post (ugh, they mark it up that much with such a favourable exchange, bleh). On the US price scheme the Fiends are 22.25 so still more expensive in comparison but not quite as bad. This post has made me wonder if anyone in Canada actually buys GW models in our own country now. :p

In any case carry on. :D

Fnords
12-02-2011, 10:27
These,

http://privateerpress.com/hordes/gallery/legion-of-everblight/units/grotesques

...are my idea for Furies. They are not that much cheaper but they are so
much cooler and unique.

The Daemon Prince kit from GW is pretty amazing tho. You get lots of extra
parts to play around with for conversions and the price isn't too steep. One of
their better products imho.

If anyone has any ideas for Pink Horrors I would very much like to hear them.
Drawing blank there because I will probably field 40+ of them and I don't want
them all to look the same.

Darwin_green
13-02-2011, 08:33
I think these daemons from Eureka might fit the bill for cool looking horrors.
http://eurekamin.com.au/gallery.php?g2_itemId=933

snottlebocket
13-02-2011, 10:21
Hordes Minis are metal and require some assembly...

This is an understatement. Privateer Press models look great but often have some of the most horrible cuts imaginable. I know plenty of people who quit PP games because they simply didn't want to deal with putting their models together anymore.

Admittedly that's usually their infantry though not their monsters.

Darwin_green
16-02-2011, 02:47
oh, the Skorne Titan is a pain in the **** tthough. Most of the legion and Circle stuff just required light pinning though.

LaughinGremlin
16-02-2011, 04:43
Use any frickin' models that you'd like. Reaper minis are cheap and various.
This hobby is nothing if not imaginative. I think all of your ideas can work if you are serious.

If you're curious how I use Everblight, then read more. If not, then forget it.

I actually use the everblighters for Dark Elves of Nippon (I guess they settled there.) I use the harriers as harpies. The stag riders are dark riders. I don't do this, but one could create CoKs by sticking elves on the backs of the most basic / small 4-legged warbeast that you pictured. They got a hydra. The winged serpentine mount works as a dark pegasus, they got a dragon alternative, etc. Elves work well as executioners. You gotta pretend that their bows work like repeating crossbows. Say that they are very good at shooting quickly...

elite_dannux
16-02-2011, 13:34
Do it, its your army and its you that should have fun.

Modeldiversity and funny themed armies is what makes this game.

drear
16-02-2011, 13:50
id say , size wise the feind and the models you like from everblight are around the same size.
it'll be interesting to see how they turn out being slanessh themed