PDA

View Full Version : Arachnarok Spider, Best Model Ever?

Winterfell
12-02-2011, 01:19
In your opinion is the Arachnarok Spider the coolest think GW has ever produced in the fantasy genre?

It certainly has the most character of any model I can recall in the last 5 years from GW. The thing screams awesome and disgusting at the same time.

theunwantedbeing
12-02-2011, 01:28
Size is everything when it comes to cool in terms of opinions.

So, coolest GW model is the battleboard.

BirchbarktheAncient
12-02-2011, 01:31
Great model! The rules for it, however, do not impress me. The bloody thing is getting shot down by turn 2 by my Skaven. One, big, giant jezzail magnet! Granted, it's a beautiful model, but we all know that one or two well placed rock throwers, cannons, etc. and all of the spidery glory will come crashing down. Didn't they napalm that big tarantula in the 50's movie of the same name, lol. Bring out the warpfire throwers!

Agoz
12-02-2011, 01:37
simply amazing, makes me want to do a forest goblin army! (probably not a wise idea!)

Tymell
12-02-2011, 01:44
I think it's a fantastic model: it successfully combines spider and monster, oozes menacing character, and is certainly among GW's best. It really does give off the feel of a horrific scuttling behemoth.

But their actual best ever? No, and realistically it's too early to say anyway since it's still got the 'brand new shiney' effect and a lot of people haven't assembled one or even seen one in the flesh.

Shnerg
12-02-2011, 01:47
For the money, dear God yes.

scarletsquig
12-02-2011, 02:29
It's awesome, but it's not the best thing they've ever produced, that would be ridiculous to state. So, I voted No, even though I really like the sculpt.

Torpedo Vegas
12-02-2011, 02:37
The best? No, but very, very good. I'm trying to dig up some excuse to buy it.

Coldblood666
12-02-2011, 02:52
I think its the best monster GW has ever produced, but I'm not sure if its the best of all time. How does it attach to its base? Not just by the tips of its legs I hope...

Jind_Singh
12-02-2011, 03:11
BEST EVER!!!!!

Saw the sprue at GW today, looks amazing, well made, looks super - tis without a doubt (to date) the best looking kit they have produced - even outshines the Orks from 40k who have some lovely pieces, the new Tyranid creepy - Skaven stuff - ANY STUFF!!!

Gork or Possibly Mork
12-02-2011, 03:12
I think it is. Im really struggling trying to think of anything that one ups it.

ftayl5
12-02-2011, 03:18
I think it's awesome!!
But not the best model ever.

_L_
12-02-2011, 03:27
It's up there... but not the best. In terms of monsters, I still think the Shaggoth is pretty sweet.

Kevlar
12-02-2011, 04:16
It looks good, but its a bit too OTT for my taste. 100x150 base size? That is a lot of real estate.

Jind_Singh
12-02-2011, 04:25
Shaggoth is a sweet model - but better looking than my new Spider Baby?! ;)

Jind_Singh
12-02-2011, 04:25
It looks good, but its a bit too OTT for my taste. 100x150 base size? That is a lot of real estate.

Damn straight it's a lot of real estate - and real-estate is about location-location-location - in this case the location is a big chunk of my heart, I love my Spider baby!

destroyerlord
12-02-2011, 04:37
An undoubtedly amazing model, yes. The best monster I have seen produced in a long while, yes.
The best model made ever, no.
Sure its big, gribbly, and has sweet looking goblins all over it, but I think my favourite models are almost always characters. There is just something about a heroic individual that a monster model cannot capture. I guess its just a part of being human - I can relate to a model of a human more than one of a 4-story-high spider, even if that model is riding a griffon, or wearing power armour.

decker_cky
12-02-2011, 04:38
Azhag is still considerably better. Much better.

Gork or Possibly Mork
12-02-2011, 04:44
Azhag is still considerably better. Much better.

I like that model but metal just kills it for me.

Another favorite of mine is Kroq Gar on Carnosaur but again metal.

Stegadon is awesome too.

destroyerlord
12-02-2011, 04:48
Agree with Azhags' Wyvern, I'm not a huge fan of the Orc himself. Though he is better than the goblin shaman that comes in the spider box.
Kroq Gar is a very cool model, very characterful, not sure if I like it better than the spider.
I do like Bloodcrushers of Khorne more though. Daemonic-steam-punk-esk-rhinos ridden by classical hell daemons that only want to spill your blood? Yes please.

TheYoungin
12-02-2011, 05:06
It's soooo chill, It's going to be the first thing I bought at a gw store since the 7th ed starter set.

Hellebore
12-02-2011, 08:11
It's REALLY nice, but I don't think it's the best. It's up there though.

Hellebore

Urgat
12-02-2011, 08:18
Best is a matter of opinion. I've read someone saying it was aweful (the spider), so there you go. Imo it's awesome, I love it, I'll get two or three certainly (some day), but no matter how cool it is, I know I would have liked it better if it had been "realistic" (as far as titanic fanatsy spiders go) rather than cartoonish.

fruitystu
12-02-2011, 09:15
Had a damned good squizz at it yesterday. Creepy as you like, replete with diddy spiders crawling around it's flesh! Absolutely beautiful model, and goes together really well.

And the price? 36....for that? Erm.....that is totally bargainarific.

AFnord
12-02-2011, 11:43
I agree with most others here: While it might not be "the" best model ever, it sure looks great. And the price, well I expected it to cost about 10€ more.

EmperorNorton
12-02-2011, 11:58
As many others here I think it ranks pretty high, but doesn't get the top spot.
Although I'd be hard pressed to point to one model and say "That right there is without a doubt the coolest."

HRM
12-02-2011, 12:04
It'll probably go up in price in about 6 months. I would if I were GW.

As for coolest ever, well, the Great Unclean One I had 10 years ago or so is still pretty cool in my book, as is the LOTR War Mumak. I still think though, that the humble 40K Dreadnaught has a special place for me.

kyussinchains
12-02-2011, 12:10
not even close to 'best ever'....

I really dislike the route GW is going down with all these huge apocalypse style monsters...... they are absolutely 100% fine for special/themed/huge (10k+) games, but I'm getting sick of seeing them in every army.... most skaven players round my way never leave home without 2 HPA's, dark elf players have multiple hydras all the time.... now before long we'll be innundated with 'omg multiple arachnarok lists!'

whitemagikmarker
12-02-2011, 13:12
i love the spider, it is pure win, i do think its the best model gw have produced to date, me and my gaming group do enjoy huge battles with giant monsters and lots of units so this is just what we needed, im totally getting 1 for sure and an o&g army to go with it . It also gives me hope to see other giant plastic kits get put into the other armies, especially for my main army ogre kingdoms

Matt.Wood88
12-02-2011, 13:29
Personally I think it is utterly fantastic!
The mould is amazing, hardly any mould lines on it at all and it goes together like a dream :)
I managed to convince the manager of my local to let tempt it together as he was swamped with the huge order that came in that day and I loved putting I together :) the thing just oozes malice and awesomeness!!! I I already have a plan for an army too!
I'll vote on it as soon as I get home!
Cheers
Matt

Little Joe
12-02-2011, 13:33
I voted yes, but rather on a plastic kit basis. It is hard to outdo mettal characters.

The best model is hard to say. But this one has a lot of detail all over and gets away with being big and interresting to look at. It also has looks that I like, but to be hounest that could be shiny syndrom.

I will get one along with the army book, after I put it together and if I can magnetise the different options, then by all means yes.

eldargal
12-02-2011, 13:47
Its a superb model, at least, the spider itself is, I hate the goblins on it. For my money, the High Elf Dragon kit is my favourite kit in the range.

sssk
12-02-2011, 14:06
I hate the goblins on it

Absolutely agreed. They seem to have made themselves a massive spider and said "man, that's good, right, let's chuck some goblins on top".

However, at the risk of being shot, I don't really like it. While the abdomen obviously has to be huge to support the howdah, it looks a bit silly, the legs are a bit short (especially when viewed from the front), the position of it makes it seem like it's falling over forwards. There are just lots of little niggling problems in my personal (and different to the majority) opinion.

As for the question of "will I get one"? No, I won't (certainly not until i stumble across one on ebay listed badly and going for 5 or less), for both the looks issues I mentioned, and the fact that I fear it would suffer from cannon magnatism, and it would irritate me to buy a big uber model and just have it annihilated on turn 2 (a similar reason to why I don't have a giant, and never had any tanks in 40k).

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some pump wagons and trolls to make...

Jedi152
12-02-2011, 14:08
It's a great model, but could have been better.

Turtleking
12-02-2011, 15:33
The High elf dragon and Azhag are both higher on my love list, but I will be running a Spider :)

Haravikk
12-02-2011, 15:40
Size is everything when it comes to cool in terms of opinions.

So, coolest GW model is the battleboard.
Lol, couldn't agree more, nearly finished my 8' x 4' realm of battle board and it's looking sweet, painting my Witchfate Tor to go with it.

As for the Arachnarok Spider, I have to vote no. It's definitely a cool model, but I'm not that interested in Orcs & Goblins. That said however, I am sorely tempted to buy the kit just for the spider itself for some conversion ideas, but what I'm most excited by are the possibilities for future army books; bigger dragons, Treemen that are properly scary looking, non-weedy greater demons.

So while I don't think it's the coolest ever, it's definitely a very exciting model. Coolest ever falls to some of the really interesting metal models in my view, I still find Be'lakor more impressive than a giant spider for example.

snottlebocket
12-02-2011, 15:52
I'm kind of wondering why the shaman on the spider seems to have four or even six eyes. It seems rather non sensical. I'm digging his spider cloak though.

shelfunit.
12-02-2011, 16:16
It does look like a wonderful model, but I wouldn't put it right at the top. For it's price tho it is the "best value" model they currently produce.

Tymell
12-02-2011, 16:17
I'm kind of wondering why the shaman on the spider seems to have four or even six eyes. It seems rather non sensical. I'm digging his spider cloak though.

I'm assuming the same as the spider legs coming out of his sides: fake adornments to make him more like the sacred spider. The eyes are probably either warpaint or something set into his forehead.

GenerationTerrorist
12-02-2011, 16:27
I think it is a great model, and would have expected it to be closer to the 50 mark. So it seems like a bit of a bargain, all things considered.

Be'Lakor is still my favourite GW model ever, though. Even though he is metal. The High Elf Dragon kit is my favourite plastic piece that GW has done. They'd have to do something utterly stunning to top that one.

Earthbeard
12-02-2011, 16:36
It's REALLY nice, but I don't think it's the best. It's up there though.

Hellebore

As nearly always :P A wise statement from the wise man.

Matt.Wood88
12-02-2011, 16:52
I'm assuming the same as the spider legs coming out of his sides: fake adornments to make him more like the sacred spider. The eyes are probably either warpaint or something set into his forehead.

From looking at the model in person, it looks more like mutation or something surgically grafted on to him, the spider legs have what looks like puckered flesh around the join! Which personally I loved!!!
Cheers
Matt

Ronin[XiC]
12-02-2011, 17:06
I dislike the sound of the battleboard.. plastic.. meh :(

Urgat
12-02-2011, 17:14
From looking at the model in person, it looks more like mutation or something surgically grafted on to him, the spider legs have what looks like puckered flesh around the join! Which personally I loved!!!
Cheers
Matt

Or it's an actual spider controlling a goblin's corpse, and it's all a conspiracy!!!!111 :p

snottlebocket
12-02-2011, 17:32
Or it's an actual spider controlling a goblin's corpse, and it's all a conspiracy!!!!111 :p

Haha the truth behind the spider cult! Now I'm picturing whole tribes of goblins with tarantula sized spiders latched on to the back of their heads controlling their brains.:wtf:

Reutermo
12-02-2011, 17:32
"Arachnarok Spider the best model GW ever produced?"

Answer: Yes!

Cant wait to paint/use it!

decker_cky
12-02-2011, 17:34
If anyone wants the spider but not the goblins from on it, I'd love to have them sent my way. :)

Jedi152
12-02-2011, 17:47
I really dislike the route GW is going down with all these huge apocalypse style monsters...... they are absolutely 100% fine for special/themed/huge (10k+) games, but I'm getting sick of seeing them in every army.... most skaven players round my way never leave home without 2 HPA's, dark elf players have multiple hydras all the time.... now before long we'll be innundated with 'omg multiple arachnarok lists!'

I've got to say, i do agree with this, i think Warhammer should be about blocks of troops.

The Screaming Bell is a nicer model, for me that's the best big kit in fantasy at the moment.

Having said that, i'll be getting a spider for my gobbos. :angel:

36 is a decent price given that the Baneblade is 60. You can pre-order through Wayland for 28.80 too.

snottlebocket
12-02-2011, 17:48
If anyone wants the spider but not the goblins from on it, I'd love to have them sent my way. :)

Heh I can imagine lots of people feeling this way. Having giant spiders for characters, spiders for cavalry and now the arachnorok... it feels like such a missed opportunity not to have forest goblin infantry.

Forest goblins now have as many options and units in place as night goblins and people love all night goblin armies.

Ultimate Life Form
12-02-2011, 18:19
No it's not. It's a very decent model, but apart from its truly spectacular size it doesn't really stand out in any specific way. For example, when I heard the rumors I was imagining a slightly more dramatic pose, perhaps. I can't say I'm disappointed, but not blown away, either - it just looks too much like a generic spider who was struck by a nuclear test.

Nocculum
12-02-2011, 18:25
Apparently plastic is transposable ULF, who'd have thought ;).

I am eager to see if 3X 15 Spider Riders, 4 Arachnoks and lots of Savage Orc Boar Boys is going to work, caus' I got a hankerin' to paint me some feathers!

Gabacho Mk.II
12-02-2011, 19:14
As an aside:

Does it really have 8 Attacks?

Overheard this at the store.....

Darnok
12-02-2011, 19:21
I voted "yes". I'm totally in love with this kit - as much as you can be in love with such a nasty beast. :D

That said, I'd really like a bigger howdah. Lucky me, I have plans for a second spider (birthday present for a spider addict), which gives me a second set of "forest goblin on howdah" set of bits - and those will give me the contraption I want on the back of my one and only true spider god. :)

theorox
12-02-2011, 19:25
I voted yes. It's really, really good. Can't think of any better actually. ^^

Theo

Winterfell
12-02-2011, 19:31
Im hearing alot of no's but not many people putting forth anything better. :D

Urgat
12-02-2011, 19:46
Heh I can imagine lots of people feeling this way. Having giant spiders for characters, spiders for cavalry and now the arachnorok... it feels like such a missed opportunity not to have forest goblin infantry.

Completly. It's like someone was stubborn and decided there would be none for the heck of it, rather than any other reason.

Nocculum
12-02-2011, 19:59
Second wave?

Tymell
12-02-2011, 20:06
Im hearing alot of no's but not many people putting forth anything better. :D

Weeeellll...personally that's because I'd find it hard to narrow down. I just don't feel the Arachnarok is the very best.

Other things that come to mind as my own candidates: plastic Bloodcrushers, Cold One Knights, Hydra, Executioners, Slann Mage-Priest, the old Idol of Gork Night Goblin Shaman and Orc Shaman, metal Fanatics, Orc Boar Boyz, Screaming Bell, metal Daemonettes & Mounted Daemonettes, Chaos Knights, Archaon, the Hellcannon, Be'Lakor, Soulgrinder/Defiler, Chaos Possessed, Chaos Terminator Lord, Lelith Hesperax, old Incubi, Ork Nobz, Land Raider, Crisis Battlesuits, Hormagaunts.

DeeKay
12-02-2011, 20:20
Good model, but I can't say it's the best. I can see a lot of potential for conversions or simply using the gobbos in infantry units, but to be honest most of what GW puts out now is just potential IMO. It's up to modellers and gamers to make it great.

With regards,
Dan.

dimetri1
12-02-2011, 21:22
I think it is a great model but my favorite is the Plague Furnace.

sigur
12-02-2011, 21:34
It looks like fun.

It's plastic.

It's a fairly generic monster.

It's one of these big plastic kits that have been bugging me for a while now and which won't do the games any good (be it 40k or WHFB).

To sum it up: No. The whole question is pretty ridiculous. Hands up who is familiar with all Fantasy miniatures GW did. I sure am not.

snottlebocket
12-02-2011, 21:38
Second wave?

I doubt they're going to release an infantry set for a unit type that doesn't even have rules in the book. Would have been so easy to, goblins no armour and extra hand weapons or poison short bows and you'd be done. Three different types of goblins, all offering something unique.

Urgat
12-02-2011, 21:49
My final brainstorming on specific forest goblins would have made them as such (following the concept of the 6th ed common/night gob differenciating):
If you consider a base goblin statline a statline were common gobs have +1Ld and nigh gobs have +1I, I'd have them with +1BS.

They come naked, with a shield and javelin.

As per 8th ed new book's night gobs, they can switch javelin for bow or spear for free.
Rest as usual.
They'd cost 3pts.

Pointless post, I know.

snottlebocket
12-02-2011, 21:52
My final brainstorming on specific forest goblins would have made them as such (following the concept of the 6th ed common/night gob differenciating):
If you consider a base goblin statline a statline were common gobs have +1Ld and nigh gobs have +1I, I'd have them with +1BS.

As per 8th ed new book's night gobs, they can switch javelin for bow or spear for free.
Rest as usual.
They'd cost 3pts.

It's not like goblin infantry equipment is hugely important anyway. For the most part I just see them as huge blobs of bodies for carrying characters and odd stuff.

Goblins are awesome but their personal equipment is largely inconsequential.

Gork or Possibly Mork
12-02-2011, 21:57

Rest as usual.
They'd cost 3pts.

Goblins with BS4 and you say you don't like ninja goblins:p

Javelin idea is good. I would simply give them the common gobbo statline and options minus the armour and poisoned weapon option upgrade and also scout/skirmish since we have no scouts.

Urgat
12-02-2011, 22:20
Goblins with BS4 and you say you don't like ninja goblins:p

No, I don't like ninja goblins, but I kindda imagine forest goblins to be good hunters, there's some thinking into my "brain"storming, you know :p (Ld 6 goblins was kindda crazy too back then, if you remember. I'm more shocked at WS4 arrer boy boss to be honest. The best shots in the greenskin armies are orcs, not gobs, now, that doesn't strike you as odd?). As for the rest, as I said, I was just following the same concept that led to different statlines and default gear for common and night gobs in the 6th ed rulebook, which was sound. Poison has never been part of the forest goblin arsenal, I don't see why they should have poisoned attacks. Skirmish being lame in 8th ed, I don't want that anymore, it's just a shore using skirmishers now.

Anyway, as I said, it's pointless, so I won't bother people with my crap anymore :p

snottlebocket
12-02-2011, 23:00
No, I don't like ninja goblins, but I kindda imagine forest goblins to be good hunters, there's some thinking into my "brain"storming, you know :p (Ld 6 goblins was kindda crazy too back then, if you remember. I'm more shocked at WS4 arrer boy boss to be honest. The best shots in the greenskin armies are orcs, not gobs, now, that doesn't strike you as odd?). As for the rest, as I said, I was just following the same concept that led to different statlines and default gear for common and night gobs in the 6th ed rulebook, which was sound. Poison has never been part of the forest goblin arsenal, I don't see why they should have poisoned attacks. Skirmish being lame in 8th ed, I don't want that anymore, it's just a shore using skirmishers now.

Anyway, as I said, it's pointless, so I won't bother people with my crap anymore :p

I figured poison because of how the old fluff harped on about forest goblins and their poisonous spiders of all sizes. A forest gob without a poisonous spider or two is like a nightie without a hood.

Morkash
12-02-2011, 23:40
Best model EVAAAR? No, I do not think so. It is awesome, yes. It is gigantic, yes. But there are models I list as even better: The Teutogen Guard, Be'lakor, Hellcannon and the Marauder Giant.
And as Sigur said, the guy who knows EVERY fantasy model GW ever produced, shall throw the first stone.