PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Counts or Empire??

agurus1
12-02-2011, 04:59
Ok so I am coming back to Warhammer after several years, and I am having a hard time deciding between Vampire Counts and The Empire. I have poured over both army books in their entirety and I am hung up!!! GAH!!! I can either convert all my old High Elves and Empire to Vampire Counts stuff or revamp my old Empire. What do you think is the better army?

Jind_Singh
12-02-2011, 05:10
Well in the wise words of Jervis Johnson this is something only you can answer! But here's some thoughts:

Empire

Models

1) 100% complete plastic range for their core, special, and rare choices. The oldest models are their Knights which still hold up just fine today, and the new kits are all awesome.
2) So easy to convert being plastic, and you get sooo many extra parts it's so easy making up all the characters you need -except for wizards which come as plastic kits anyway! win win!

Game play

1) Amazing! Run 100% gunline, state troops, mounted, mechanically heavy list, warmachines, you want it - you do it! Choice of sooo many lord types to create more options - wow!

2) Power level - the Empire can be one of the NASTIEST armies out there! They do everything well, they can have strong magic, amazing magic defense, they can fight well - Steam tanks, war alters! Wow! But you have soft fluffy lists too - so much to do!

Staying Power

Thanks to the diverse nature of the Empire you could happily collect a 10,000pt army and STILL be wanting for more! The games are amazing no matter how many years you play as you can use such diverse lists/tactics - no 2 games need ever be the same

Painting

With a ton of Provinces to choose from you can use just about any color scheme that takes your fancy!

And with so many books/novels/articles written on them the Empire is rich in history and fluff -meaning you can REALLY go to town making the back story up for them!

Who says you even have to be Empire - you could be one of the younger sons of a noble who moved to the border princes to strike out for themselves!

Just do Empire already! :D

Private_SeeD
12-02-2011, 05:18
I'm working on an Empire army so I'm voting for The Empire, I chose them for mist of the reasons stated above... I'm stuck with too much choice, trying to strike a balance between a competitive but themed army

agurus1
12-02-2011, 05:25
lol so someone loves Empire. It was my first army, so honestly is a big magnet. But Vampire Counts seem so cool??? :P I am slightly indecisive lol

the historical inspiration for the Empire is really good for me too.

Jind_Singh
12-02-2011, 05:30
Vampires - reasons I dont like them is that half their models look great, other half plain suck! fell bats, zombies, black knights

Also gaming wise their back story is amazing, but game play is static - not that many options for the game play as all they really do is magic/fight a little - they lack options to make them a decent army for me year in and year out - a reason why my ogres sit in a case most of the year now - they just become lack luster after a while - even though i love their models/fluff

Echunia
12-02-2011, 09:34
Depends on what your looking for... In pure power level Vampire counts probably trumps Empire. But the VC army can be very one dimensional and boring to play. Where as Empire, as stated before is very versatile.

So if your just looking to bash heads at tournaments and some cool models I would say VC. But if you want an army that will keep you interested in the long run I would say Empire.

Mirbeau
12-02-2011, 10:59
You could model an undead Empire army that could be used as both, and the fluff for it wouldn't be too difficult to write whatsoever.

Lord of Divine Slaughter
12-02-2011, 11:15
Playwise: Empire

Modelwise: You need to make up your own mind on that one :)

Earthbeard
12-02-2011, 16:43
Vampires - rule of cool > anything else.

Though I do miss my necromancer themed army.