PDA

View Full Version : Alternat uses for arachnork

rob_appo
12-02-2011, 10:11
What do people think of the idea of using the model as a hydra in a dark elf army. I think id justify it by that beast masters tame all sorts of beasties and that you can make the model without any of the rigging on it Plus i dont really like the hydra model. The breath weapon can also be like a venom spit or a web weapon.

Sorry for the mispelling in the thread title.

theorox
12-02-2011, 10:18
You'd need a smaller base. Having a base twice as wide as ususal is not OK. So the legs would have to point downward and/or have a scenic chariotbase to fit it. So, pretty damn hard.

Thro

dragonet111
12-02-2011, 10:21
I have no problem with that.

The spider is way bigger than the hydra and it's a drawback with the true line of sight.

Lord of Divine Slaughter
12-02-2011, 12:44
You'd need a smaller base. Having a base twice as wide as ususal is not OK. So the legs would have to point downward and/or have a scenic chariotbase to fit it. So, pretty damn hard.

Thro

Why isn't this 'ok'. Its hardly an advantage ? :)

linuvian
12-02-2011, 14:30
Why isn't this 'ok'. Its hardly an advantage ? :)

Because it's against the rules... "All models must be based using the appropriate base that was supplied with the model"

On a side note, it can be an advantage - no more hiding a character in a corner that the hydra couldn't reach before b/c it would now touch every model in the front rank.

On topic - I've trying to think of a way to convert it into a HPA, but I'm just not seeing it yet... I can just see Clan Moulder capturing one of those, crossing it with some rats, and letting it lose on the world. But how to model it...

Kevlar
12-02-2011, 14:38
I was going to get one to let my kids ride around the room on.

Chain
12-02-2011, 14:57
Because it's against the rules... "All models must be based using the appropriate base that was supplied with the model"

On a side note, it can be an advantage - no more hiding a character in a corner that the hydra couldn't reach before b/c it would now touch every model in the front rank.

On topic - I've trying to think of a way to convert it into a HPA, but I'm just not seeing it yet... I can just see Clan Moulder capturing one of those, crossing it with some rats, and letting it lose on the world. But how to model it...

the problem with that kind of rule is it's not far from saying it's against the rules to use none GW minitures...

but yes rules are rules :/(really is all about waht you agree on in your local gaming group and with your opponent)

Turtleking
12-02-2011, 15:30
If your gaming group is cool with it give it a go!

sssk
12-02-2011, 15:36
massively off topic, but does this mean I can either field an old style giant on a 50x50mm base, or a new style giant on a 50x100mm base?

This is exactly why if they want to enforce this kind of rule, they need to put the base size in the unit entry.

As for the original question, within your gaming group it sounds fine. Even in non-GW tournaments if people agree. after all, Dark elves are perfectly free to capture any beasty. Maybe they hi-jacked it from some goblins? Who knows?

Haravikk
12-02-2011, 15:41
I'm tempted to get one to mould a Hellcannon into, which I think would look awesome :D

decker_cky
12-02-2011, 18:12
Bunch of people on the Herdstone have been discussing making a Jabberslythe out of one. Fits with the semi-insectoid description the Jabber got.

ScytheSwathe
12-02-2011, 18:18

But it would be used on the base the model was supplied with, so well within the rules there.
Ask your mates. If they dont have a problem, go with it. You could even glue a hydra base (not sure what it comes on) onto the 'standard' aracnarok base, with a but of scenery to make it look like a bump in the landscape, and if anyone ever complains (its too easy too shoot at, they want less attacks back etc...) , go by the smaller base.

scarletsquig
12-02-2011, 19:42
Leaving it on the bed and scaring the hell out of my girlfriend. :)

Also, Tyranid Tervigon.

Torpedo Vegas
12-02-2011, 19:50
I'm tempted to get one to mould a Hellcannon into, which I think would look awesome :D

:eek:You just gave me an idea. That spider will make the best Biovore. And now I have an excuse to field one in my CD army. Way to use your thinking cap, man. Modeling a cannon on its back hadn't even crossed my mind.

rob_appo
12-02-2011, 20:00
Yer i play both at a mates house and at a games workshop but i dont think many people will mind i can mark on where the normal base would be on the one sypplied somehow and if someone complains about it just use the normal marks to indicate where the base would be. Plus i think it will look really cool and if so people wont mind so much. I can just explain i dont like the hydra model and this model was so epic i wanted an excuse to buy it

theorox
12-02-2011, 20:23
I'd like to mix this kit and the HPA one. :D A humongous Spider seems like a perfect candidate for stitching together with something elseŻ

Theo

BorderKing
12-02-2011, 20:49
I thinking of putting massive wings on it and then using it as a scraplauncher. Without the legs I think I can fit it onto a chariot base.

Urgat
12-02-2011, 21:18
:eek: And now I have an excuse to field one in my CD army. Way to use your thinking cap, man. Modeling a cannon on its back hadn't even crossed my mind.

I wanted to use a... defiler is it? as the basis for my own earthshacker, but it was too large; I'm afraid the spider is kindda big too :p (which one is bigger btw, defiler or spider? I mean surface covered by the legs, height is kindda irrelevant)

. I can just explain i dont like the hydra model and this model was so epic i wanted an excuse to buy it

Isn't it the case anyway? :p

rob_appo
12-02-2011, 21:37
With some epic converting and green stuff the kit could be an awsome greater deamon of nurgle or slaanesh, plague spider or slaneshy boobie spider.

Xerkics
12-02-2011, 23:02
I think tervigon or warshrine maybe?

ewar
12-02-2011, 23:35
I was thinking Slaaneshi war shrine in hot pink. That would look ******* bad ass.

w3rm
13-02-2011, 00:16
Bone Giant! Like a giant tomb scorpion :evilgrin:

mrtn
13-02-2011, 09:27
Would be a great monster transport in Necromunda Ashwastes.