PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Elf War Hydra...

HRM
12-02-2011, 13:26
... Is it really that bad? I really want one as a centerpiece for my Dark Elf I plan to start here in a day or two - but will I be breaking some unwritten rule if I use one? I keep hearing about how "horribly broken" it is, and I'd rather not sink the money into something that'll get me labled a "WAAC S.O.B." if I dare field it.

Actually the two "centerpiece" models I'm interested in are the Hydra and the Beastmaster on a Manticore. I dunno how good the Beastmaster is (he never existed in my 5th Edition gaming days) but I really want to include those two in my collection, swapping them out as the mood strikes me.

Are people going to cry and not play me?

RMacDeezy
12-02-2011, 14:08
no, one hydra is pretty much standard in good DE lists, if i see the guy break out 2, it sets off a "potential douche" alarm in my head. i immediately begin anticipating rules arguments and conga-line-style "tactics" and whatnot, as it is typically a WAAC setup to have 2. sometimes i am pleasantly surprised though, just because a player brings 2 hydras doesn't mean he's a bad guy. the manticore is considered under-powered so will balance nicely if you bring a hydra or 2. plus its fluffy (beastmaster kind of theme) and i like the manticore and hydra models which clinches it for me: i would have no qualms playing against this list.

HRM
12-02-2011, 14:17
..."Conga-line"...? The hell is that, haha?

Man, lots has apparently changed since MY days. *leans on cane*

bluemage
12-02-2011, 15:58
The conga-line tactic is about taking a unit which is stubborn or unbreakable and deploying it 1 wide and very deep. This way even though it will lose every round of combat, it shouldn't run and will need to be killed to a man. Which would take quite a lot of time to do.

HRM
12-02-2011, 16:06
Sounds like cheating, to me.

Archangelion
12-02-2011, 16:11
Not cheating, just blatently 'jerk'. People that don't like to have friends play like that. (unless, of course, their friends play like that too, then it's a party!)

HRM
12-02-2011, 16:35
So to sum up - ONE Hydra and a Manticore won't **** many people off? Cool.

Thanks all!

Preacher
12-02-2011, 17:00
One Hydra and one Manticore isn't going down any bad routes. I've seen much worse.

I played in a mighty empires campaign before and there is an event that can be chosen before the games begin, "Elite Army" (removes the special and rare caps at any point level). Saw 3 Hydras...in an 1100 point game.

RMacDeezy
12-02-2011, 18:34
Sounds like cheating, to me.
well, its legal, but sucks to play against. i keep my metal daemon prince on hand for just this purpose. not that he's any good against it tactically , i will just hurl it at any opponent who exhibits such a lack of class as to use a conga line.

Thanks all!

in a large game even 2 hydras and a manticore would be fine.

Kevlar
12-02-2011, 18:38
I'm sure two hydra guy will have his BSB and level 4 sorceress tucked safely in the second rank of a death star infantry unit as well!

Havock
12-02-2011, 19:04
One Hydra and one Manticore isn't going down any bad routes. I've seen much worse.

I played in a mighty empires campaign before and there is an event that can be chosen before the games begin, "Elite Army" (removes the special and rare caps at any point level). Saw 3 Hydras...in an 1100 point game.

Of course, what do you think happens when you have stuff like that to pick for players.

Torpedo Vegas
12-02-2011, 19:53

Thanks all!

Thats actually not too bad, pretty standard. I've seen people take double Cauldrons.

Agoz
12-02-2011, 20:02
I saw four hydras in a 3000pt game once, I was playing ogres.

Torpedo Vegas
12-02-2011, 20:04
I saw four hydras in a 3000pt game once, I was playing ogres.

Ouch. Did you have scrap launchers?

Agoz
12-02-2011, 20:05
I had one, I actually won that battle, but it was mostly luck on my part.

ftayl5
13-02-2011, 03:00
Take 2 and a Manticore if you like, I see Manticores as a pretty soft choice. Unless the model you use is pressing his body to the floor.

Archangelion
13-02-2011, 04:07
I love the Hydra, I want another. Who cares if it is 'game breaking' or whatever, it is a perfectly legal model, and it isn't illegal to take two in a list where the percentages permit. It's just people that don't like it. They just whine about how it is over powered, blah blah blah. It's not like it is the only overpowered or broken thing out there. If you take it because it works, and you don't go overboard with the cheap tactics, then it will be okay. If people whine, it's not because your a jerk, it's because they don't like loseing.

Wow! I am in quite the mood tonight! lol

Gooner
13-02-2011, 04:23
Personaly I don't think two hydras is bad sportsmanship if you do two things:
1. Take a unit that is below average to balance your list, Personaly I take a unit of 15 dark riders with spears.
2. Don't be a douche about how you use them. It's being a douche if you walk both of them up to a big unit and strength 5 breath 40 models. But using them in a nice manner can still be gentlemanly.

The master on manticore is terrible in game as the maneuver dies faster than zombies and is 200 point( Aka the sub par unit you take). It makes it even more legit if you theme your army around them such as having knights and harpies to male a beastmAster style army.

badgeraddict
13-02-2011, 11:17
Take a Hydra, they are fun and powerful.

But they can easily be killed.

Enough flaming arrow fire will finish him.

snottlebocket
13-02-2011, 11:30
Take 2 and a Manticore if you like, I see Manticores as a pretty soft choice. Unless the model you use is pressing his body to the floor.

It's stalking it's prey! Just like my giant with commando training, tiger crawling his way through the battlefield.

HRM
13-02-2011, 18:49
I'd never take two, I don't think... They're a lot of cash, and I wanna save points for Cold One Knights. Thanks all!

tank_santa
14-02-2011, 01:23
Well unfortunatly if you bring 2 and the enemy can't handle it, then their list needs to be tweaked ;) Like any game, every combo has an answer to beat it. I also believe though that your army can't always be good at killing everything and thems the breaks.