PDA

View Full Version : So now that the new O & G book is out will you...

Jind_Singh
12-02-2011, 22:02
So now that we have access to the book what will it do for your O & G love?

I'm just curios to see what the reaction of gamers is to the new O & G book in terms of making them play more/less with their army!

Thanks all

PS - in case you didn't know I am super excited about the new book, it's making me fall in love all over again - which is tough as I was already well in love with them in the 1st place!

:D

Gork or Possibly Mork
12-02-2011, 22:09
Make my love of green stronger and make my pockets suffer from emptiness!

Now that's true love:D

Fishslapper
12-02-2011, 22:35
I decided on O&G as my second army (although I've had others before), so that people don't need an army to have a game. It's also my painting project. I did choose them before the release of the new stuff, but the army book actually sounds pretty decent. Pity I've got to wait so long to actually have some rules!

I think a lot of the rules I've read about sound quite fun, and I reckon after a few months of slow buying, it may take over as being my main army. I just love Gobbos :D

ftayl5
12-02-2011, 23:10
Was kind of starting to lose interest in my greenskins a little while ago. But now we have a huge spider! And little sneaky guys and a new lore and new animosity and cheaper goblins (so I have heard) and other new stuff!!
And maybe some new nifty magic items to try out, but it's a shame to hear that the bulk of them are gone :( Haven't seen the book but hope the amulet of protectyness is still there.

But to re-emphasize, totally enthused about my little sneaky green dudes again!

Jind_Singh
12-02-2011, 23:17
Only items from old book are

battle axe of the last waaagh
skull wand
spider banner

I think that's basically it - rest are new, or didn't remember

Ronin[XiC]
12-02-2011, 23:23
Spirit Totem is still there.
Badmoon Banner is a classic from 6th Edition and before.
Armor of Gork was there before.
A "Basha" Axe existed before.

So in total we kept some of our items but they are now on steroids!

ftayl5
12-02-2011, 23:35
Only items from old book are

battle axe of the last waaagh
skull wand
spider banner

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
*all the Dwarf, Empire, WoC, Dark Elf and Lizardmen players rejoice*

How so?

Warhound of Lustria
14-02-2011, 21:48
Kicking myself for selling my beloved greenskins last year :cries:

oh well, I'll buy a new army I guess

Ultimate Life Form
14-02-2011, 21:56
So now that the new O & G book is out will you...

...do nothing due to not making plastic Arrers and yet another stupid price rise.

Yes, I know that pricing discussions don't belong here, but it's a sad fact that GW put a very definite end to yet another of my dreams. :o

(Yes... make the horde armies even more expensive... that's the way to go GW!)

FluidSpace
14-02-2011, 22:05
I am a little disappointed with the magic items as I don't feel they are all that good for their point cost. I can't totally comment on the Lore as I have not actually played with it yet. A little skeptical about it, but hope it is better then I think.

Really excited that my night goblins get spears for free and SUPER excited about the Arachnarok! Definitely going to get one, might try to get two, would like to have three.

Malorian
14-02-2011, 22:07
...do nothing due to not making plastic Arrers

I could have sworn they came out with a new plastic orc set that had bows as an option :confused:

:shifty:
;)

I'm just excited to see what kinds of lists I can make.

I've heard the rumors, I even know a lot of the new point costs, now I just need to know ALL the numbers so I can make lists :)

O&G'sRule
14-02-2011, 22:15
The waagh and 'size matters' being somewhat lessened, and Im not decided about whether the new animosity is anything but worse than before, has almost removed my excitement of the new book. Though Im playing with it tomorrow, so will have more of an idea about what I think then. Just a little disappointed, but then the orc and goblins are all about fun, not winning

Haravikk
14-02-2011, 22:27
There's no option that covers my thoughts of "well I didn't really want to start an Orcs and Goblins army anyway, but the army book sounds kind of interesting anyway plus the spider's kind of cool" so I opted not to vote :)

Tae
14-02-2011, 23:44
and Im not decided about whether the new animosity is anything but worse than before

How can they be worse? A 1/6 chance of your unit doing absolutely sod all, despite being 2 inches from the enemy battleline is surely worse than a 1/36 chance (because if you roll a 1 followed by a 2+, they'll charge anyway).

Urgat
14-02-2011, 23:54
I could have sworn they came out with a new plastic orc set that had bows as an option :confused:

5th ed plastic gobs (so current common and previous night gobs) have very big hands (holding bows) that fit rather well on orcs, if you want to convert some arrer boyz.

Malorian
14-02-2011, 23:56
5th ed plastic gobs (so current common and previous night gobs) have very big hands (holding bows) that fit rather well on orcs, if you want to convert some arrer boyz.

I was joking.

The new savage orcs have bows in seperate hands, with seperate quivers, and one could easily attach them to any other kit to make them arrer boyz.

So buy the savages for the killy and save the bows for conversion.

Chris_
15-02-2011, 00:00
You should add an option:
"I was thinking about starting an O&G army until I saw the Incoming: Tomb Kings" ;)

Anyway, on a serious note, haven't really seen the book yet so can't judge it.

Nubl0
15-02-2011, 00:05
I'll be picking up one of the new spiders just to own one (im a collector at heart) but other than that I'll stick with my rats.

Urgat
15-02-2011, 00:05
I was joking.

The new savage orcs have bows in seperate hands, with seperate quivers, and one could easily attach them to any other kit to make them arrer boyz.

So buy the savages for the killy and save the bows for conversion.

I know, I wanted to quote ULF, in fact, sorry about that :p

Ghazbad_Facestompa
15-02-2011, 00:58
I rather like the new book and models. I'd thought I could slow or end the expansion of my WAAAGH! recently. I guess I was wrong.

bluemage
15-02-2011, 03:09
Well I am really excited to expand my small O&G army, but then I saw the incoming TK article. I have a TK army also and really only will have the money to expand one of them, so I'll be waiting a couple months to see how the TK book turns out.

decker_cky
15-02-2011, 04:09
Well....I've unburied my orc army and have just repainted Grimgor, a half dozen orcs and cleaned up a big unit of night goblins. Orcs were my first army, and the new book has brought back a lot of the personality that the 7th edition book sapped out.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

TheYoungin
15-02-2011, 04:31
I'm oh so very excited!
New models and a new picture book!!!!!!!
What more could a 17 year old want?

Malorian
15-02-2011, 06:15
What more could a 17 year old want?

http://vampjac.com/lj/humor/gygax/orc_chicks.jpg

Urgat
15-02-2011, 08:31
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HJT3wxFKwRM/SwK6r1bcanI/AAAAAAAABA8/gQ8NYU9VLlY/s1600/BB_orc_cheerleader.jpg, you mean? :p

konate
15-02-2011, 08:35
I'm going to use Codex: Space Wolves counts as Goblins.

Djekar
15-02-2011, 08:35
Urgat... I can never unsee that image. You think I'd have learned to not blindly click links by now, but I trusted you. I trusted you!

Jind_Singh
15-02-2011, 09:01
Urgat you dirty green scoundrel! Malarion may have started it, but you my green skinned friend put that six feet under! Pure genius and class! Is that a real fig or someones handy work?

All I know is I need some for my tribe!

Ultimate Life Form
15-02-2011, 09:02
Sounds like a good idea with the bows, but sadly I'm not very keen on Savages (and also not their price tag). But I might find a use for their parts (oh sweet convertiness), or maybe I could just keep the bows and sell the savages to my green buddy - thanks for the suggestion, just hope there's a decent number of bows included!

Jind_Singh
15-02-2011, 09:10
Oh there will be 10 for sure - they have been great with kits lately and if you look at how many pieces are included on the sprue - makes sense.

Also even normal orc boyz - their weapon arms are naked anyway, no armour, so the savage orc bow will fit like a treat hopefully!

Jind_Singh
15-02-2011, 09:11
Must say - nice to see a nice overall positive reaction to the book - fair enough it's a small sample size but still - 70% ain't half bad missus!

Little Joe
15-02-2011, 09:23
I voted indifferent, not because I do not like the new book. Actually I hope they can keep up with the ideas for balance in 8th. Now if it were a dwarf book...

Mainly I made a plan to work on having three finished armies with options to choose and will move on later this year with building and painting due to that. But before that will happen and because I am quite happy with the arachnarok's looks so I will add one to the collection. Somethimes it is good to call a job done for the time being.

After the other two armies are done I will go back to my goblins and add a tribe or two. And if I get my hands on enough orcs (200+) by then (we are talking at least three years here) I might even add those as well.

Lorcryst
15-02-2011, 13:09
Cheaper Night Gobs, better Animosity rules (that wasn't hard, really) and a big bouncy squiggy in Rare makes my dark, sneaky gobbo heart beat faster !

StormCrow
15-02-2011, 13:21
Colour me excited, colour me green.

Having said that my first army was Tomb Kings...

FatCat
15-02-2011, 13:48
Cheaper Night Gobs, better Animosity rules (that wasn't hard, really) and a big bouncy squiggy in Rare makes my dark, sneaky gobbo heart beat faster !

Ditto this. They did so many things to make us O&G players happy without making the army OTT. A hard thing to do in my book so three cheers for GW.

I need to make some mangler squigs, modify some pump wagons(love the sails), and spring for the SUPER SPIDER!

ColShaw
15-02-2011, 14:10
I've had a Goblin horde since early 6th Ed. New book? Whatever. I don't actually care all that much. I could figure out how to win games under the old book, I'll manage it under the new one. I actually find it mildly irritating to change over to the new rules (especially shelling out $37 for a new hardcover), but I'll deal.

Leogun_91
15-02-2011, 14:14
I like it, I like it alot, won't buy more greeness right now due to money problems (both my parents have their birthdays in Feburary so Feb-march is not a good day for shopping, and a new expansion for deathwatch was newly released as well.) but the book will be a welcome addition to my bookcase and will surely revive my interest in the greenskins.

Sureshot05
15-02-2011, 15:53
The spider will be added to my Night Goblin horde with a fair bit of conversion work (compliments the spider riders I've already done) and I really love the model. Whilst the new book looks ace, I'm not going to be picking it up any time soon as I stopped impulse buying Army books until I felt a real need to pick them up. Otherwise, it is a solid release and I love the fresh direction and effort in the range and can't wait to add a big bug to the horde.

Ronin[XiC]
15-02-2011, 16:42
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_hjt3wxfkwrm/swk6r1bcani/aaaaaaaaba8/gq8nyu9vlly/s1600/bb_orc_cheerleader.jpg, you mean? :p

my eyes.
They burn!

Getifa Ubazza
15-02-2011, 17:05
I bought a unit of 40 Orc Arrer Boyz and 2 Old style Giants from Ebay, so that I could get a head start for when the book finally got released, But the cost of the new Savage Orcs has really been a punch to the gut. I was planning on buying 90 of them to make 3x30. My Giants will still serve me well in my Orge Kingdoms army and my Arrer boyz can go into my Mantic Kings of War Orc army. So nothing lost then. I will buy the army book though and use my Mantic Orcs if I'm ever inclined to play it.

loveless
15-02-2011, 17:35
I'm very tempted to do a mix of Savage Orcs/Forest Goblins (I've actually always liked the concept, but rarely cared for the models/options). I couldn't care less about the effectiveness, it just seems like it would look deliriously cool.

Of course, I also really like the Gorbad and Boar Boyz models, and Night Goblins...and...well...there's a fair bit of the green things that I like :p

TheYoungin
15-02-2011, 23:21
Gah that picture was evil, orcs procreate by asexual reproduction everyone knows that.

Malorian
15-02-2011, 23:22
Gah that picture was evil, orcs procreate by asexual reproduction everyone knows that.

Yeah, that's what they want you to think...

And your parents just played checkers on Valentine's day...

:p

decker_cky
15-02-2011, 23:23

Not if you played Warhammer before 7th edition. ;)

Could be worse though, could be the ogre cheerleader model:

Enkiel
15-02-2011, 23:34
i always though Orc were fun to play against ; kinda like Skaven, when not playing just to cast dreader13/Plague.

I started DE because i was tired of my Ogre's WS3, and wanted some versatility.

Now i'm starting Orc to have some fun, and the model are simply stunning.

Quinn
15-02-2011, 23:34
You should add an option:
"I was thinking about starting an O&G army until I saw the Incoming: Tomb Kings" ;)

Anyway, on a serious note, haven't really seen the book yet so can't judge it.

That's two votes for this option....

Ultimate Life Form
15-02-2011, 23:35
Now i'm starting Orc to have some fun

...until you get tired of their WS3. :rolleyes:

Malorian
15-02-2011, 23:37

Don't worry, we have lots of WS2 too :D

amysrevenge
15-02-2011, 23:38

What because rolling 4s to hit pretty much all the time is substantially less fun than rolling 4s to hit most of the time, but 3s sometimes? lol

Enkiel
16-02-2011, 00:26
What because rolling 4s to hit pretty much all the time is substantially less fun than rolling 4s to hit most of the time, but 3s sometimes? lol

nah, getting hit on 3s is annoying...

i should actually say, that i started DE in 7th ed, when Ogre were... well.... yeah.

Malorian
16-02-2011, 00:27
If only there was some character that let you get unlimited big uns...

And if only big uns were a good deal now...

Enkiel
16-02-2011, 00:28
If only there was some character that let you get unlimited big uns...

And if only big uns were a good deal now...

but character are evil.... EVIL!!!

Malorian
16-02-2011, 00:51
but character are evil.... EVIL!!!

If it helps at all, that special character has been dead a long time...

Colonel Kolm
16-02-2011, 01:47
i voted for option 2 as my orcs were kinda just sitting around bored but the new models and what looks to be a decent new book made me say waaaaaaaaghh, promptly followed by me ordering several of the new units

amysrevenge
16-02-2011, 16:47
I do indeed reckon that I'll be whipping out the ol' Gorbad/Big 'Un list most of the time.

At big enough games, he might even be joined by Grimgor/Immortalz lol.

Urgat
16-02-2011, 17:01
Urgat... I can never unsee that image. You think I'd have learned to not blindly click links by now, but I trusted you. I trusted you!

Trusting someone with a goblin as an avatar? Mwahahahehehe :D Lovely conversion isn't it? :)

Urgat you dirty green scoundrel! Malarion may have started it, but you my green skinned friend put that six feet under! Pure genius and class! Is that a real fig or someones handy work?

All I know is I need some for my tribe!

it's a conversion, but there's an actual GW mini, imho, even with the breasts covered, it's even more ugly (in a good way :p).

No, orcs grow from spores, but that doesn't mean there is no sexual intercourse ;)

someone2040
16-02-2011, 23:58
See, I was thinking about running a Gorbad list down the track after I finish off with my current armies. However, the absolute insult that is the price of the new box of Orc Boyz has put me well off this line of thought.

So nothing against the book, but certainly won't be picking up Orcs and Goblins as a new army.

artisturn
17-02-2011, 02:10
Been planning on starting an Orcs and Goblin army for a while now so the new book coming out is enough to make that finally happen.

I ordered a Battalion box yesterday.

And I dug out the Orcs from the 6th edition set and the 6th Battalion box and a box of Night Goblins that I had bought for my nephew but He wasn't into it and I traded him that stuff back for a video game.

Also have 4 Skull Pass sets worth of Gobbos and Trolls to put together as well, Plus I have 20 wolf riders which I was just using the wolves for my VC army I am so glad I never got rid of the riders.

Man I can't wait to play Orcs and Goblins .

Gork or Possibly Mork
17-02-2011, 03:17
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HJT3wxFKwRM/SwK6r1bcanI/AAAAAAAABA8/gQ8NYU9VLlY/s1600/BB_orc_cheerleader.jpg, you mean? :p

http://knowyourmeme.com/system/icons/564/original/ghitit.gif?1248993236

lol

Djekar
17-02-2011, 07:10
No, orcs grow from spores, but that doesn't mean there is no sexual intercourse

... insert "mushroom stamping" joke here.

Seriously though, I'm ready to get my hands on this book and start playing some games.