PDA

View Full Version : Orc Battalion

Penguin
14-02-2011, 08:32
Hi,

I'm thinking about starting an O&G army, and figure a battalion set is a good start. With the impending release of the new AB, I'm wondering a bit if I should go for the current battalion, or hold out for a new one?

This was posted in the rumour thread;
http://alphaspel.se/shop/Battalions-a-Army-boxes/10535-orcs-goblins-battalion.html

I felt the rumour thread wasn't the right place for these questions though.
Which would be the better deal? More standard orcs in the current and also a chariot, but this new one (if it's really coming) have boar boys.
I have 5 boar boys already though.

Ultimate Life Form
14-02-2011, 10:35
Then you can make an additional unit of Boar Boys. I think it pretty much depends on if you want that chariot or not - I imagine it might be discontinued like the DE one was due to outdated Boars. Oh, and one more thing - I'll accept pretty much any bet that the new batallion will be worth much less in terms of savings - the new 15-Boys-ripoff is pretty much a harbinger of things to come.

Darnok
14-02-2011, 10:37
Get the current one.

Not oly will you get more models, and save some more money, but you could just get the Boar Boys in addition - and still save a bit.

Algovil
14-02-2011, 13:16
Since I brought that rumour I would like to state, that though we have got some information from the store, nothing is certain yet, but if you can find the current battalion reduced it could be a good deal!

Penguin
14-02-2011, 14:33
Algovil: Was going to order the current battalion from Alphaspel (I live in Västerås! :) ), but someone nabbed it right before me. was no longer available when I reached the checkout. Shame, they had a good price, even with the shipping!

also noticed the current one seems to have gone missing from waylandgames.
Other stores have it listed on backorder. So maybe I'll have to pony up the full price if I want it.
Or do you have any other starting tips? What I'm after is a solid starting point really and dont have to be limited to a battalion set. In 40K the general rule is always more boys, is it the same for fantasy?

DarkMark
14-02-2011, 17:51
There you go:

http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=gwk_wfb_oag_ess_201_000

Malorian
14-02-2011, 19:04
Screw the current or new battalion and find the old starter set.

Algovil
14-02-2011, 19:30
Algovil: Was going to order the current battalion from Alphaspel (I live in Västerås! :) ), but someone nabbed it right before me. was no longer available when I reached the checkout. Shame, they had a good price, even with the shipping!

also noticed the current one seems to have gone missing from waylandgames.
Other stores have it listed on backorder. So maybe I'll have to pony up the full price if I want it.
Or do you have any other starting tips? What I'm after is a solid starting point really and dont have to be limited to a battalion set. In 40K the general rule is always more boys, is it the same for fantasy?

Sorry to say, I was that theiving gobbo, live in Uppsala by the way!

Do the skullpass gobbos look good Malorian, do they mix well with current ones?

bluemage
14-02-2011, 19:44
@ Algovil the night goblins from the skullpass the starter set do look good and mix quite well.

Also I'm not convinced on the usefulness of the current battalion in terms of competativeness. I think savage orcs will be a better bargain than regular boys and that goblin chariots are better that orc chariots.

Malorian
14-02-2011, 19:46
Do the skullpass gobbos look good Malorian, do they mix well with current ones?

They mix together just fine.

In fact adding currents is nice to break up the look of them.

Jind_Singh
14-02-2011, 19:50
Old battalion was a wee bit useless before, but with the new book it's well worth the money again!

19 Orcs - need them!
Boar Chariot - wow, T5, 4wounds? anywhere from 4-9 str 5 attacks with 2 str 4 attacks? What's not to like people! Oh - 4+ armour save? Boyz hold the enemy down, your chariot comes in and wracks up combat res - breaking the enemy and allowing you to wade through their mangled corpses to victory!
20 Night Gobbos - yes please! No more pts paid to take spears, and they can also take cool unit upgrades!
10 Spiders - this was the dud choice before - but with their new and improved rules (building assaults anyone), and the fact that the new Giant Spider is crying for his baby cousins to join him, this is a nifty unit!

So the old Battalion is a must - grab them while you can!

Malorian
14-02-2011, 19:52
10 Spiders - this was the dud choice before - but with their new and improved rules (building assaults anyone)

Can spider riders hold a building as well?

Blocks of 20 then could double as a bus for combat characters on boars AND starting in the watchtower.

bluemage
14-02-2011, 20:13
Spider riders can't hold the tower unfortunately.

Malorian
14-02-2011, 20:15
Spider riders can't hold the tower unfortunately.

Damn... well at least they can attack them :)

castlesmadeofsand
14-02-2011, 20:30
the savings you make on it are massive now they've changed the price on orc boys. this will not stay the same for long! get it now (or rather get 2 now!).

Penguin
14-02-2011, 20:38
Ordered one set from Maelstrom! :)
Thanks for the tips!