PDA

View Full Version : higher point level tournaments?

carldooley
14-02-2011, 09:41
My LGS has recently increased the point level of its 40k tournaments, from 1850 to 2250. And it has me wondering - if there is another point increase, should we (the gamers) start pushing for the choice of access to either a second FOC or a single Apocalypse datasheet?
Personally, I play guard, so higher point values can mean just the inclusion of another platoon or 2, but other armies don't scale quite so well (as has been well established on these boards). On the other hand, the inclusion of a single Apoc asset could screw over a lot of people also (thinking specifically of a bombardment build backed up with a defense laser - if my opponent deploys, he's screwed, if he holds everything in reserve, he is also screwed).
What does everyone think of such a move? has anyone played in a tournament with such constraints, and if so how did it turn out?

Tarax
14-02-2011, 09:46
Do you know what the reason is for this points increase?

As for Apoc-sheets, if you start, you are most likely to have everyone with one. And those who don't will probably finish bottom of the list.

carldooley
14-02-2011, 09:52

I have a theory, but it only has about a 35% chance of being right - The guy who scheduled the next quarter's tournaments is probably more experienced with fantasy rather than 40k. Considering that 2250 is about where the store runs its fantasy, this is the likely reason.

Simo429
14-02-2011, 10:21

If its run by GW it will be to sell more stuff.

chromedog
14-02-2011, 10:28
It could also be because they want to use it as a practice run for something like Adepticon, where the 40k IS 2500pts.

Bestaltan
14-02-2011, 19:15
Also, Ard Boyz is coming up. It's also 2500 points.