PDA

View Full Version : worst thing you've done in warhammer

Anarch_Sek
14-02-2011, 21:11
I saw and posted in the thread about the worst person you have ever seen, now I reckon we should start one about the worst thing you have comitted during battle/painting or in general!

ill start

my opponent brought a conscript squad so me being wolves thought it was an easy kill point so i charge my kit out lord into then on his shooting phase he drops a basilisk battry on his head killing me and his 40?pts of gaurd

The Ginger Ninja
14-02-2011, 21:13
I charged a squad of Necron Warriors into a unit of Khorne Berserkers.
Hey, it worked in the previous game...

Bestaltan
14-02-2011, 21:16
Worst in a good way--Killed a daemon prince with a las pistol.

Worst in a bad way--Rolled 7 1's after I had penetrated a land raider with power klaws 7 times.

ColShaw
14-02-2011, 21:26
Worst thing I've ever done... hmm...

Worst thing I've done to an opponent? Maybe my Commissar Lord blowing a Carnifex's head off with his Bolt Pistol.

Worst thing I've done to my own troops? Playing my IG against a ludicrous 13th Company Eye of Terror list, I systematically fed roughly 50 Guardsmen to a Wolf Lord turn after turn, to keep him off my home objective. It worked, too. Coldblooded bastard that I am. Made even worse by the fact that my Guardsmen have individual nametags on the underside of their bases... every one of them. I cared enough to name them, but not enough to keep them alive. :skull:

Worst result I've ever had? Missing completely with 8 Missile Launchers for 3 straight turns. That's 24 dice in a row without rolling higher than a 3.

Worst matchup ever? My old Deathworld Veterans against a Necron shooting list, on a table with almost no terrain. I've never lost so badly before or since. I think I killed about 10 Necrons, and lost my entire army.

Worst beating I've ever inflicted on an enemy? I killed an IG mechanized list at 1750 points with my IG infantry in 2 turns... without taking a casualty. There wasn't really enough terrain, I disabled, destroyed, or suppressed almost all his long-range shooting turn 1, then wiped all his vehicles by the end of turn 2. Rather than face the long walk toward my army with his dismounted infantry, he conceded the game. Deployment took longer than the game itself.

Morally worst thing I've done in a game? When my boss at GW ordered me to beat the local cocky guy to "take him down a peg" and I restructured my entire list to beat his army, pulled out all the stops and played every sneaky, underhanded, technically-legal card I knew. I beat him, but felt very very dirty.

GrogDaTyrant
14-02-2011, 21:35
I think the worst thing I have ever done in 40k, was build a marine army.

Granted, it was my first army... and I did eventually give it away to a friend who was starting the hobby. I still rate it as my biggest regret.

Aside from that... I built a bike-themed ork army. Note, not a Nob-Biker list. I rank it among the worst things I've ever done in the hobby, because the list is so stupidly lop-sided in it's performance. It steamrolls many armies, and is easily steam-rolled by others. Loosing without a chance, and crushing someone without a challenge, are not enjoyable expenditures of my time.

Bunnahabhain
14-02-2011, 21:42
The worst thing....

4th Ed, with the previous Guard book. Yes, the one everybody knew it was an uphill fight to start with.

I took as many heavy mortars as I could, with the old Infernus shells. The ones that forced anyone hit to fall back.

Most of the marine force walked off the back of the board turn one. I just felt dirty.

We restated the game, with them house ruled to be more sensible.

IcedCrow
14-02-2011, 21:46
The worst thing I have ever seen in 40k was an angry eldar player declaring that the necron monolith only affected models with its shooting and that his jetbikes were not declared to be models and were unaffected by them.

He was serious.

And he won the argument that day

Gornak
14-02-2011, 21:50
I systematically fed roughly 50 Guardsmen to a Wolf Lord turn after turn, to keep him off my home objective. It worked, too. Coldblooded bastard that I am. Made even worse by the fact that my Guardsmen have individual nametags on the underside of their bases... every one of them. I cared enough to name them, but not enough to keep them alive. :skull:

Lol, its a beautiful game :evilgrin:

Worst thing I've ever done was Vortex Grenade my friend's Abbaddon. In his first game (my friend's, that is, not Abbaddon's). :cries:

Can't stop washing hands... can't ever be clean again...

Ghost-13
14-02-2011, 21:54
The worst thing... hmmm

I once had the main gun on my Vyper destroyed, so I did the only logical thing, suicide ram that thing at full speed into my opponents Landraider. I didn't even manage to scratch the paint.

I also once charged a full 20 man squad of guardians with an accompanying warlock into a squad of guardsmen who were in cover. He kills like 8 of my men before i even get to swing, and i only was able to get 1 of his. I then fail my leadership, but manage to to get away, only to be gunned down in the back. :cries:

GabrielEvander
14-02-2011, 22:15
The Worst thing?

Death storm Drop pods...
2 of them

while my opponent was defending on objective

oh sooo dirty....

Torpedo Vegas
14-02-2011, 22:17
The worst thing I have ever seen in 40k was an angry eldar player declaring that the necron monolith only affected models with its shooting and that his jetbikes were not declared to be models and were unaffected by them.

Wait, what? I would have stopped playing him then and there.

GabrielEvander
14-02-2011, 22:20
The Worst thing?

Death storm Drop pods...
2 of them

while my opponent was defending on objective

oh sooo dirty....

Serpent
14-02-2011, 22:20
Most stupid: charging an Ork Trukk with a Guardian Storm Squad. The Warlock hits, penetrates and blows the trukk up spectacularly. The explosion kills everyone of the Guardians (ten of them), not a single Ork is hurt. The Warlock looked a bit sheepish. And burnt, probably.

Second most stupid: agreeing to play with my foot-slogging Eldar against a Tau army on a trench table. 10% of my little pointy-ears managed to reach the enemy lines. They slaughtered two or three squads of Fire Warriors. Then they were wiped out by the return fire.

Worst result for an opponent: Probably with my IG against an Eldar army. I managed to get everything right. My single Mortar (in the HQ squad) managed to hit a squad of Shining Spears and attached Autarch two or three times. They were pinned the first time, next casualty they took sent them off the board... I shot down the "unkillable" Falcon with my first Missile Launcher shot, and the rest of the game just snow-balled. :D

That game made our team (it was a team tournament) climb to third place in the tournament.

Xandros
14-02-2011, 22:35
Let's see. I've got one bad luck, and one bad decision.

Bad luck was spending most of a game trying to eliminate three obliterators in a crater. No amount of demolisher shells or bolts of change could bring them down. Had they died I would have swept that flank. As it happened I lost the game. Suppose I should just have assaulted the buggers.

Allied with Daemons against necrons I told my coplayer to assault the nightbringer with hsi bloodthirster. Bad call that was. Worse was he told me so beforehand.

Lord Asgul
14-02-2011, 23:33
Worst thing done to an opponent: back in 3rd edition when the 3.5 Chaos Codex. One of my standard Chaos Marine squads rides up to an Avatar with the intention of tying him down for a few turns. The Champion power fists the Avatar's metallic sack, killing him after two turns.

Worst Luck: My missile launcher armed Traitor Guardsmen only ever hit once. Out of 10+ games. However the hit it did do took out a Grey Knights Dreadnought.

Most Stupid thing done: Repeatly ram a rhino into the side of an immobilised Dreadnought. It did nothing. I should have used it to tank shock the troops instead.

Worst luck seen: Enemy missile launcher fired a frag missile at my havocs. The shot scatters and kills his own Chaplain.

carldooley
14-02-2011, 23:39
most recently - I allowed my opponent's terminators to get into B2B with one of my vendettas. I didn't even move the thing in the last 2 movement phases.
most memorable (well actually there were 3)
1. Had a rhino swarmed by a large pack of daemonettes - over a hundred rending attacks incoming. The rhino hadn't moved in its last turn, so all the hits were automatic. I offered to just remove the thing, but my opponent wanted to roll for it. He should have let me remove it - NONE of the attacks scratched the paint. :p
2. Was playing nids with the previous codex against Space Marines. Tabled my opponent, and then his last unit - a land speeder came into play via DS. I swarmed it with 4-5 squads of genestealers, had many many penetrating hits, and the thing exploded, killing (I think the count was) 28 genestealers (my recall is kind of hazy :cries:).
3. Was playing a king of the hill with multiple players, was playing guard and was more or less ignored on account of the fact that I wasn't contesting the objective. I more or less announced that I was going to attempt to win by boardwipe on the second turn, and then started shelling all my opponents. Dangit if that last enemy model - an ork commando of all things didn't eat 2 of my penal squads when they went in to get it out of cover! :eyebrows:

Bunnahabhain
14-02-2011, 23:43
King of the hill with heavy artillery about is never a good plan...

We've had two of the really broken FW things come up, can someone complete the unholy trinity?

Torpedo Vegas
14-02-2011, 23:45
For my thousandth post, I think I'll regale everyone with my worst experiences in 40k.

Worst luck: Tournament,have an entire 10 men squad of melta veterans with melta bombs and 3 multimeltas within 3 inches of a landraider, with a leman russ Demolisher behind it. 2 3 rounds of shooting=one destroyed weapon, thats all. Then it disgorged a pack of Bloodclaws.

Worst mistake: Moved a squad of wyches closer TOGETHER instead of assaulting the Land Speeder with a heavy flamer 3 inches away.

Worst thing (in a good way): An autocannon weapon team fended off a carnifex for two turns single handedly OR when my Leman Russ Demolisher ran over a Soulgrinder.

LonelyPath
15-02-2011, 00:02
In 40K - killing Calgar with a lone Termagant in assault during 2nd edition and every edition onwards (in 1 game in 2nd edition Calgar started the assault with full wounds and rolled all 1s to attack).

In Fantasy - while playing Vampire Counts, ended a game with 3 times as many models that I started with on the table, or possibly a Vampire Lord chasing off 3 units through Terror, charging a large regiment of great Swords, breaking them and running them down on the first turn...

Dvora
15-02-2011, 00:05
4th ed imperial guard command squad. Everyone with master crafted storm bolters...

Lord-Caerolion
15-02-2011, 00:09

He was serious.

And he won the argument that day

How the hell do you come up with that idea?

ashrumx
15-02-2011, 00:13
Tank shock Fuegan. Nuff said.

carldooley
15-02-2011, 00:13

possibly if they are scratch built or a penny-army(counts-as; a, "Lets see how this army does before I spend money on it," kind of army)

Lord-Caerolion
15-02-2011, 00:34
At which point they're proxying as Jetbikes, which are models. If someone tried to argue that with me, he wouldn't be able to shoot or attack either, as the rules refer to models in both those cases, which his jetbikes apparently aren't. No taking objectives either, as he wouldn't have any models there.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
15-02-2011, 00:56
Plain nasty:

Playing a guys new test Marine list with my Cheese Chaos Marines. I proceed to wipe out all of the units he has on the table by turn 2, without taking any losses. His 3 Reserve units then proceed to come in one by one, to be annihilated by my entire army......

Also had a very funny game against Guard with my Chaos, my Plague Marine squad fought a gorilla war out of a small forest, destroying 2 Guard squads and a Leman Russ while being slowly whittled down by his entire army. They simply kept jumping out, shooting, assaulting and then consolidating back into the forest.

Then there was my Dual Lightning Claw Space Marine Lord. Playing a special game of hold off the Zombies, he managed to hold a whole flank of at around 100 Zombies, killing a fair few over the turns. He was still battling on when the Thunderhawk came in to rescue the Inquisitor from the tower Objective, who is promptly booted off the tower by his Conscript Henchmen who proceed to overload the Thunderhawk with sheer numbers, causing it to crash.....My lord fights on..... Until the end of time probably :D.

GirathonB
15-02-2011, 01:40
My IG Command Squad is in combat with a Hive Tyrant. He completely whiffs, I of course fail to wound him, my banner lets me win by one, his fearless wound kills him. WTF happened there?

DJ3
15-02-2011, 01:48
I have a habit of performing overwhelming violence to Marine characters.

Multiple times, I've had Vulkan retreating after killing his whole squad, and then committed five to eight Bloodcrushers to obliterating him out of lack of anything better to do.

Just this last weekend, at a tournament, I played against Lysander + 7 Shooty Terminators. 4 Bloodcrushers come in and kill all seven Terminators, leaving just Lysander.

Following turn, four more Bloodcrushers and a Bloodthirster come in.

Little bastard nearly survived too--he failed the very last wound to finally die.

IcedCrow
15-02-2011, 02:13

The player in question was one of those guys that thought he was a master of the game. He played eldar. In a league full of marines. And took 14 starcannons. This was 3rd edition. He won 99% of his games because ... well... 14 star cannons would erase a unit per turn. He would also say that "Eldar require a person who really knows the name well to do good with them." With a straight face. As he was hauling around 14-16 star cannons per match.

The necron player was a new player. Brand new to the hobby.

It was embarrassing to the eldar player to lose to the new necron player. His ego was cracked like an egg from it. Especially after having for weeks proclaimed how great he was at the game and how many trophies he had accumulated, and this brand new player had him on the ropes because he (the eldar player) had made a mistake in army composition and in positioning concerning the monolith and its abilities.

He took basically an army of speeder bikes so that the necron player had to all shoot at a single bike with his units. So basically the necron player had five or six units, that was only at most five or six bikes he could destroy, and the bikes and other weapons of the eldar army would rapid fire the snot out of the necron player.

This burnt him when the Monolith deep striked in. The monolith has the rule where it can attack any unit within X" of it. That was almost all his bikes.

He saw this and flipped out. I mean it. He flipped out. He got red faced, and screamed (THIS IS BULL$$$$!~!!!) So he declared his jet bikes were not models because the rulebook didn't say explicitly that they were models, and that the designers did that on purpose because the monolith was ridiculously and utterly broken otherwise. And that the necrons were the cheesiest and most broken thing ever.

He was a league referee. I called other referees who shot him down but he was throwing a man-tantrum. I told the new player it was his call. He was embarrassed for the eldar player throwing the man-tantrum and said he just wanted the game over with. By man-tantrum I mean, picture a very heavyset man that fits EVERY stereotype you have heard about warhammer players (hygiene, very overweight, no social skills, etc etc etc) balling his fists up, getting red faced, and uttering obscenities loudly and marching around like he was really going to go to war because that's how angry he was.

It was the worst thing I have ever witnessed ever. That player and I busted heads after that and had a very unkind falling out. It was the worst form of sportsmanship I have ever...ever...ever seen in any game, sporting or tabletop, in my entire life.

Born Again
15-02-2011, 02:30
^ Yeah, that is one of the worst examples I've ever heard of, especially seeing as his stance was completely unfounded.

I don't know if this qualifies as "worst", but just the other day I rammed a Predator with my Trukk... yeah, I know. I never really had anything more than a slim outside chance of damaging it, but the Trukk had no other real purpose to serve in the game, it was not a killpoints game, I had never had a chance to ram an enemy vehicle before, and this big spiky Chaos Predator was just sitting there directly ahead of me. It was so tempting and seemed so orky... the end result was minor scorch marks on the predator's paintwork as the trukk exploded on impact :p

Mewy
15-02-2011, 03:19
Can't stop washing hands... can't ever be clean again...

They don't make water hot enough...

Worst moment was in my first game of my Chaos Demons army. 4 Deepstrike mishaps in a row, with 2 of them being destroyed on the mishap table.

Lord-Caerolion
15-02-2011, 03:43
The player in question was one of those guys that thought he was a master of the game. He played eldar. In a league full of marines. And took 14 starcannons. This was 3rd edition. He won 99% of his games because ... well... 14 star cannons would erase a unit per turn. He would also say that "Eldar require a person who really knows the name well to do good with them." With a straight face. As he was hauling around 14-16 star cannons per match.

The necron player was a new player. Brand new to the hobby.

It was embarrassing to the eldar player to lose to the new necron player. His ego was cracked like an egg from it. Especially after having for weeks proclaimed how great he was at the game and how many trophies he had accumulated, and this brand new player had him on the ropes because he (the eldar player) had made a mistake in army composition and in positioning concerning the monolith and its abilities.

He took basically an army of speeder bikes so that the necron player had to all shoot at a single bike with his units. So basically the necron player had five or six units, that was only at most five or six bikes he could destroy, and the bikes and other weapons of the eldar army would rapid fire the snot out of the necron player.

This burnt him when the Monolith deep striked in. The monolith has the rule where it can attack any unit within X" of it. That was almost all his bikes.

He saw this and flipped out. I mean it. He flipped out. He got red faced, and screamed (THIS IS BULL$$$$!~!!!) So he declared his jet bikes were not models because the rulebook didn't say explicitly that they were models, and that the designers did that on purpose because the monolith was ridiculously and utterly broken otherwise. And that the necrons were the cheesiest and most broken thing ever.

He was a league referee. I called other referees who shot him down but he was throwing a man-tantrum. I told the new player it was his call. He was embarrassed for the eldar player throwing the man-tantrum and said he just wanted the game over with. By man-tantrum I mean, picture a very heavyset man that fits EVERY stereotype you have heard about warhammer players (hygiene, very overweight, no social skills, etc etc etc) balling his fists up, getting red faced, and uttering obscenities loudly and marching around like he was really going to go to war because that's how angry he was.

It was the worst thing I have ever witnessed ever. That player and I busted heads after that and had a very unkind falling out. It was the worst form of sportsmanship I have ever...ever...ever seen in any game, sporting or tabletop, in my entire life.

...Wow... Just... wow... That... what... buh...

Words fail me over just how idiotic and immature that guy was. That goes right past "so sad it's funny" right back into just being sad. It's not even karma for his cocky attitude when beating Marines with his Eldar, it's just... words fail me...

Still, I would have caught him on his own reasoning and said that his jetbikes can't shoot (no models can draw line-of-sight), can't attack (no models in base contact), hell, they can't even move (you move models, not random items on the table). Then, I'd watch as his head exploded from pure nerd-rage as his own "logic" turned on him.

I hope that guy got himself some counselling, or something, because he needs help. Sure, getting upset is ok, but throwing that level of tantrum is beyond childish.

Nezalhualixtlan
15-02-2011, 03:46
My IG Command Squad is in combat with a Hive Tyrant. He completely whiffs, I of course fail to wound him, my banner lets me win by one, his fearless wound kills him. WTF happened there?

Death by shame.

Mewy
15-02-2011, 03:55
...Wow... Just... wow... That... what... buh...

Words fail me over just how idiotic and immature that guy was. That goes right past "so sad it's funny" right back into just being sad. It's not even karma for his cocky attitude when beating Marines with his Eldar, it's just... words fail me...

Still, I would have caught him on his own reasoning and said that his jetbikes can't shoot (no models can draw line-of-sight), can't attack (no models in base contact), hell, they can't even move (you move models, not random items on the table). Then, I'd watch as his head exploded from pure nerd-rage as his own "logic" turned on him.

I hope that guy got himself some counselling, or something, because he needs help. Sure, getting upset is ok, but throwing that level of tantrum is beyond childish.

If he matches every stereotype about closet indoor gamers then he probably just has an insane amount of stored testosterone levels that he needs to diminish by going outside and doing something physical once a day. I'm glad I don't know anyone like that.

Malphax
15-02-2011, 05:37
Most hilariously bad move on my part:
One of my first games, I charged a unit of Dark Eldar Wyches. With Tau Fire Warriors.

Strangely enough, the Fire Warriors actually beat them in CC, the Wyches failed their morale check, and ran off the table. I think my opponent (who was helping teach me the rules) was in complete shock. It was probably the most bizarre thing I've ever seen in a game, but I didn't realize how absurd it actually was until later. Take that, mathhammer!

Worst thing I've done to an opponent:
I yelled "ROLL A ONE!" right before Abbadon took all of his 2+ armor saves. He failed all of them. I blame myself.

Most of my tactical mistakes on the table haven't really been all that funny, apart from the Kung Fu Tau episode.

Locephax
15-02-2011, 06:41
Chaos dreadnought with plasma cannon shoots at predator's rear armour. Roll two sixes for scatter. Dreadnought has just blown itself up, also killing Abbadon who was standing next to it. FFFUUUUUU-

eldargal
15-02-2011, 06:51
Hm, worst thing I've done to an opponent, well when I was eleven I headbutt one chap because he said I should go back to playing with barbie dolls after my Eldar shot up his Land Raider or something.

Worst thing one of my units has done, hm, my Banshees and Farseer killed Abbadon and terminator bodyguard in one turn by making every hit, every wound and then my opponent failing every save.:shifty:

Worst thing to happen to me, same unit failing to destroy a unit of Guardsmen in CC over three turns.

Most amusing thing, watching my brothers Blood Angel Land Raiders both scatter into bastions and 'splode.

Friedrich von Offenbach
15-02-2011, 07:32
Worst thing, hmm.... probably charging 50 guardsmen through a mine field, then through barbed wire, then over some barricades to finally reach a squad of space marines. Unfortunately not many survived.:D

Xandros
Don't ask me to roll apocalyptic explosion radii. Nothing good can come of it.

Xandros
Worst thing, hmm.... probably charging 50 guardsmen through a mine field, then through barbed wire, then over some barricades to finally reach a squad of space marines. Unfortunately not many survived.:D

Kubric Chenkov would be proud.

Flinch
15-02-2011, 07:58
Two things that happened in recent memory:

1: Picking up my Rogue Trader Dreadnought after it was destroyed in a friendly saying something like "don't you pick it up, cause if you drop it..." ... . .. ... and dropped it.. broke into component pieces ... needed a complete reassemble and repaint...

2: 1000 points Deathwing/Ravenwing in a tourney... tabled my opponent by end of turn 3 without loosing a single wound/model... he was/is a nice guy.. I felt terrible ... the only positive thing I could say was "at least you lasted 3 turns" and realised how much of a douche I sounded like...

rcal13
15-02-2011, 08:15
3 units of ten assult marines and two ic land in a forest aand then rolled 29 1's. It was a bad day! I poured resisn into that block of dice.

Nocculum
15-02-2011, 08:22
Losing a 300 point HQ to a bolt pistol shot because the displacement field bounced him literally off the board.

That was the last time I went for a flank attack with him in a long long looonnng time :shifty:.

Bold_or_Stupid
15-02-2011, 08:56
Worst I've ever done - 2e assassin on Combat drugs and polymorphine appearing in the midst of a squad of harlequins.

Worst done to me - again 2e a squad of 10 guardians wiping a squad of Wolf Guard Termies with one round of shooting.

Funniest thing I've ever scene again 2e(when I played the most) watching a 500 pt tornie in the store in Leeds. Space wolves (Long fangs and Ulrik) vs chaos (abaddon, night lord marines and nurglings). SW go into overwatch. Abbie teleports in behind them and scatters in front of them... Lascannon hits, wounds he saves, both M-launchers hit wound and are saved, Hvy Bolter hits, wounds, save failed and does enough wounds to kill him. Nurglings vanish chaos conceeds. Crowd pisses itself as the Chaos player had been saying how he was unbeatable...

Simo429
15-02-2011, 09:16
I beat an Eldar player at a tournament without losing a model, he was so bad it was unbelievable and if it had been a friendly game I would have explained his mistakes as we went but as it wasn't and I really needed the win I went all out.

Worst thing to me - one guardsman poking my wolf lord in the eye before he even got a hit off with his thunderhammer

hawo0313
15-02-2011, 09:18
in one game my chaplain, librarian, assault squad, and priest butchered thier way across the feild sending a wave serpent, dire avengers, wyches, and a raider and blocking a webway portal forcing his reserves to walk on the rear edge of the board before they were picked apart from a wraithlord the librarian got perils of the warp twice and died trying to cast sanguine sword while the sergeant didn't hit once over 3 turns with his power fist

however on the llus side when he sent his super killy shadowfeild archon into the fray to finish my chaplain he failed to hill him (with 7 attacks) before the chaplain turned around and beat him to death with his mighty 3 attacks and (my enemy failed shadow feild) so yah not necessarily decision making but luck makes weird stuff happen

Hendarion
15-02-2011, 09:19
The worst thing I have done in warhammer... Well, I started collecting xenos and hoping for them to be treated equally fair compared to imperial armies.
Huge mistake actually.

Hypaspist
15-02-2011, 09:37
I think the meanest thing I have ever done was lay down a Mishapped Mawloc (that had attempted to land on my Dark Angels) on the Tyranid players own unit of Stealers.

...The look on his face...

hhmm actually... in retrospect... there was one thing that was an absolutely disgusting piece of naughtiness...
I took Sammael in Speeder, 1 Ravenwing Squadron, and 3 Tornado Speeders in a 750 point tourney amongst friends (we had ruled that only one troop was required)

All I did all tournament was shoot and hide... earning my list the name The (C)Ravenwing.
I only lost one game to an ork army which he spent the entire game closing the net on me and I couldn't kill enough or get away and he won. (he was *VERY* pleased about it!)

Afterwards, with an objective view... I felt filthy. (my opponents had zero fun, from this... I learned.)

In Terms of the worst thing done to me... was probably one of my first games of 40k. I brought a Withchunters list of all-the-models-I-had (which happened to be an eclectic mix of repentia, arco-flagellants... well you get the picture.

I was up against an Ork Speed Freak army (from previous codex)

... I got embarrasingly easily tabled as my opponent (don't get me wrong, in a totally nice way) mercilessly butchered my entire force with contemptuous ease. That was a steep learning curve!

chromedog
15-02-2011, 09:48
At this point in time ...

Start the fracking thing. Seriously, my bank balance would be healthier if I hadn't.

Note, I'm saying I should have stopped 40k just after I started (NOT stopping wargaming in general) - I already had time and money 'invested' in 4 other game systems at the time, all of which looked like they were going to be around for a while.

All but one faded from existence - and the other, although around, is in a much changed form (although about to be relaunched).

Thud
15-02-2011, 10:23
Mephiston charges Seekers of Slaanesh, loses combat, fails leadership test, runs off table.

Not a great day for the Lord of Death.

madden
15-02-2011, 10:49
The worst thing I've done was in a game using 750pts HQ only I charged my night bringer into the dark angles special caracters on foot not one of them could hurt him as they are only str 4 I felt bad. The funniest is in the same game my destroyer lord survived attacks from skulltaker (he fluffed all his rolls) then killed him with his attacks.

Simo429
15-02-2011, 11:00
Mephiston charges Seekers of Slaanesh, loses combat, fails leadership test, runs off table.

Not a great day for the Lord of Death.

Is Mephy not fearless?

Zerodyme
15-02-2011, 11:12
Two weeks ago, I played one of the Missions from the Battlemissions expansion (the SpaceMarine one, where the SM player assaults from the edges etc) with my DarkAngels against the Necrons of a buddy. I brought only one DW squad with chaplain, DS in first turn. I was very tired that day and we were both not really paying attention as it seems, because we both literally forgot, that my DW arrived via DS, and I assaulted his 20 Warriors with Lord in that first turn.
Well long story short:
A giant melee breaks out in the middle of the table with 2 Warrior squad (20 each) and 2 Lords against my 5 DW Terminators, chaplain, 3 bikes, 2 full Tac.Squads.
Kept clobbing each other for 3,5 rounds, then he failed a morale check (rolled an 11), wipe out, phase out, done.
He wasn't too happy, but it took us 3 days to realize, that my assault was illegal :angel:
Well, it was all in good fun ^^

Ravariel
15-02-2011, 11:12
I routinely call out numbers for one of my usual opponents to roll for critical saves... he will usually roll what I call. I've stopped doing that.

Then again, against the same opponent I lost an entire termie squad to a single round of shooting by 7 fire warriors. 6 wounds, 5 1s and a 2. At that point in time, my name became a verb for when you roll epically poorly at a single crucial point in the game. Case in point: another friend charged my Warp Spider unit with his Hellions (calculated risk to bait them out of the ruin they were chilling in), killed 3 of them, I did 0 wounds back (with an exarch all powerbladed up), failed the morale, passed the init off and ran 18 inches off the board... which was 17 inches away.

That said, the most epically silly thing I've ever done was charge a unit of 5 TW Cavalry with Canis with a 10-man Scorpion squad with Karandras in an Apoc game (shadow sect rules!)... Canis killed Karandras twice over, cavalry killed all but 2 scorps, including the exarch, I killed one guy, then failed my break test and lost the init-off losing the whole thing in one swell foop.

laudarkul
15-02-2011, 11:19
Good things:
Killing daemons with lasguns and bayonets. One it was a lonely guardsmen vs. one wound prince...
A 10 man squad beat 6 genestealers which assaulted them.
Worst things:
In an Apoc games two ST with melta in 6 inch of a Eldar Titan with strategic asset I roll to hit 2 1's :eek:. I just need at least a 2+...
At the game club I drop by mistake a Defiler on a UM honour Guard painted perfect....

Reflex
15-02-2011, 12:15
Ok
Worst thing to do to an opponent: Was playing a younger lad at a GW store. He was being a bit cheeky. I deployed my mech guard against his new shiney ultra smurfs army (his first army). He'd played about 20 or so games he tells me. I kill every single model in 2 turns of shooting and lost nothing. I felt bad as he was a new chap, but my annoyance of him got the better of me. He teared up after his captain had died. 'He's never died before... snif snif, he was always so cool and killed a few guys but never died... sniff...'

Worst thing to me: after feeling bad about said chap (see above) I say lets play again and by turn 4 my foot guard have been slaughtered. at the end of the game he says, I knew you got lucky, guard suck and my ultramarines are way cooler. (tricked by an evil kid... he should have been playing chaos).

Reflex
15-02-2011, 12:30
Is Mephy not fearless?

as far as i know he only has ATSKNF... he pariahs and the decivers special ability (cant remember what its called) could be quite fun with him...

Cheeslord
15-02-2011, 14:26
Amazing how people have twisted the topic round to boast about their victories instead.

The worst thing I have done is probably taking a Warrior based Necron army against Blood Angels (both under current edition rules and codices). It did not end well for me.

Mark.

Captainbastard
15-02-2011, 14:57
Did a really bad fart in the store and everyone smelt it whilst playing Bretonians.

IcedCrow
15-02-2011, 15:10
The thing that sticks out in my head as the worst thing that *I* personally have done was in 5th edition fantasy.

Chaos lord mounted on chimera. Finals of an RTT. I'm up against Bretonnia. His grail knights have their rear exposed to my lord. Final turn. All I have to do is break these guys and I win the game.

Lord charges in on his chimera. Has something like 15 attacks. Needs 3s to hit. Misses every single one (all 1s and 2s rolled)

Lochaber
15-02-2011, 15:18
In my friend's second game of 40k ever I routed his 20-man CSM squad with shooting from 2 drones and escorted them off the table. He mad.

Cheeslord
15-02-2011, 15:24
SOmething else fairly stupid I did last weekend: After his battlewagon and meganobz all got killed, Ghazakull stood alone about 12" from the Imperial Guard tank line with one wound left. He advance towards the tanks. I remembered to call the Waargh! to get his 2+ invulnerable save. I then forgot to run him, so he couldnt charge the tanks. Doh! He got shot and died.

Mark.

LonelyPath
15-02-2011, 16:44
A couple more from me...

I was playing my IG with a bunch of GK allies against Orks. Ghazghkull calls his Waaagh! at the start of my shooting phase to change his save to 2++ and I targeted him with 4 Psycannons. All hit, all wounded, he had no saves to make and died. To add insult to injury, I also wiped out the MANZ escorting him with other units, then proceeded to shoot the rest of the army to death before it got close enough to assault.

Another I did was Apocalypse with the Culexus assassin, surrounding it with Psyker Battle Squads and any GK in range (plus a psyker inquisitor), the Culexus hit in some trees and was racking up 20 - 30 shots a turn. I think he managed to kill about 80 CSM on his own.

Erwos
15-02-2011, 16:46
Had a buddy get clever last Sunday and try to deep-strike 8 hammernators into my back line of tanks. Well, they had a mishap into a Leman Russ, and they got lost in the warp. He still won, but it was definitely not a good moment for him.

Theocracity
15-02-2011, 17:43
My best worsts all happened in the same game.

Playing Orks against my friend's Demons, I decide to take out his dangerous chariot- mounted Skulltaker in the most Orkish way possible - by throwing my tooled up Nob Squad and Warboss at it. Their trukk barrels towards him, and a ridiculously lucky Waaagh! and difficult terrain test has them get into assault with an inch to spare! My opponent is amazed that they'd managed such a long assault.

Then he informs me how Skulltaker's instant death sword works. And my Warboss mucks up the last powerklaw wound that would have taken out the demon. And his leadership test in the face of severe combat resolution. Shortly afterwards, a third of my army's points is run down and slaughtered for the Blood God. -_-

Needless to say I get wrecked the rest of the game. Last turn, a single ork nob without any of his boyz left is running across the field in desperation. My opponent sends Skulltaker at him to finish the job.

And the nob manages to finish him off.

What's even worse is that based on our custom narrative campaign rules, that kill eventually was the tiebreaker that gave me the win for the whole campaign. It just feels so wrong.

smdvogrin
15-02-2011, 18:15
Fateweaver arrives on the board. Psyker Battle squad reduces his leadership by 8. Allied Inquisitor lord inflicts 2 wounds with no invul saves allowed (Psycannon). Fateweaver flees back into the warp.

What's sad is the list isn't optimized for Daemons, just happens to have a hard counter for Fatecrusher...

brightblade
15-02-2011, 18:40
What's even worse is that based on our custom narrative campaign rules, that kill eventually was the tiebreaker that gave me the win for the whole campaign. It just feels so wrong.

Why? Now a new Nob steps forward proving he was the 'ardest all along and a new waaagh begins....

The worst things I have done are;

i)I once used a trifalcon harlie list in 4th, Killed a whole IG army using consolidation and hit/run. Scary. Rest of the Eldar just watched. Felt bad. Didn't do it again.

ii)Playing in a tournie against a guy who had only played a couple of games and tabled him. He wouldn't listen to advice and so I buried him after he had the upper hand and threw it away with a couple of bad decisions. So I showed him why he should have listened to advice concerning those decisions. I feel so ashamed about it.

iii) Had 'the face' a few times but haven't we all.

Mannimarco
15-02-2011, 18:46
I made a kid cry. Ok that makes me sound like a monster but hear me out:

See the club was busy, I had arrived late (traffic problems) and this kid was the odd number so had nobody to play against.

First turn my lascannon scout sentinels killed Mephiston, my chemical mortars tore a chunk out of his death company and combined autocannon chimera fire crippled several rhinos.

It was perhaps the luckiest 1st turn I have ever had against anybody but you could see the tears welling in thie kids eyes it was all I could do to do a do over and restart.

I made a kid cry. Ok that makes me sound like a monster but hear me out:

See the club was busy, I had arrived late (traffic problems) and this kid was the odd number so had nobody to play against.

First turn my lascannon scout sentinels killed Mephiston, my chemical mortars tore a chunk out of his death company and combined autocannon chimera fire crippled several rhinos.

It was perhaps the luckiest 1st turn I have ever had against anybody but you could see the tears welling in thie kids eyes it was all I could do to do a do over and restart.

"Don't you want a balloon, Georgie...?";)

(liking your avatar^)

Slashattack
15-02-2011, 19:29
My worst things were trying to mob genestealers with noise marines, which didn't go too well... Plus I rammed my Falcon with holofields into the front of a Leman Russ, scoring a penetrating hit against the Russ, which shook the Russ, while the Guard player rolled a nice vehicle wrecked result on the holofields.

spartan116
15-02-2011, 19:40
I played my roomate in a 750pt game against his wolves. This was before their newest codex. I ran a Daemon Prince with wings and Lash, some oblits, a couple of plas marine squads and a vindie. He caused one wound on the DP and I wiped his whole army... He only plays very sparingly anymore and complains anytime I bring the DP.

sillybee
15-02-2011, 21:15
Witnessed a Tau army get out-gunned by an Ork army under 4th edition rules.

Hilarious

Obrimos
15-02-2011, 22:15
Worst thing I did onto others:
1500 points tourney.
Had tailored a really shooty anti-spacemarine list with my Eldar.
Played against a kid with some well balanced starter Space Marine army.
Only he had illegally equipped every marine with bionics for five points per model. The last Marine fell in round 3 (bionics mostly useless).
I lost only a single Darkreaper.

After the game, I was heavily criticised by the organizer of the tourney.
I told him my opponents list was illegal and I didn't want to ruin his chances to get some victory points. You cannot expect more mercy from me.

Worst thing I did to myself:
Another tourney playing Ulthwé and sacrificing 40 Guardians every game because I used them as cannon fodder whenever possible.
I won every game.
But I seriously considered crying for the losses after the tourney.

Worst move:
Getting my Deathguard-Landraider in contact with Bloodangel assault squads.
They meltabombed it despite of it's speed and blocked the doors.
Typhus and his Deathshroud retinue got locked in and died.
Third of my army destroyed.

MasterDecoy
15-02-2011, 22:52
To me:
Had an apoc toruny where the guy I was playing had purposfully made his list around epidemus, plague towers and a shiteload of plague zombies when I was playing nids (4th ed)

To someone else:
same game, I knew about his list so I tailored my list to contain only boomfex's and flyrants meaning the tally would never reach 20. (game ended in my loss by 25 vp's), it was funny watching typhus getting ID'd by 3 carnifex's though.

To myself:
fed a khornite lord on a juggernaught a brood of 20 WoN gaunts every turn for 4 turns (with another brood of 20 just behind it to block movement) in order to prevent the lord from advancing on my biovores which where a meger 10 inches away. Lets just say the blood god would have had plenty of skulls for his throne that day. Im glad it was a capture and control mission or I would have Lost BAAAD

PreacherBoyRoy
16-02-2011, 01:58
I played a game against the current BA with my necrons. Listened to my opponents advice, and deployed my warriors more than 24" away from both my monoliths and the Deceiver to try and hide them. he then deep strikes an assault squad and the sanguinor(sp?) less then 2" away from my warriors. next turn i phase out.

I'm still embarrassed i did that.